Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Am I mistaken, or does Blade Vortex look like it was made for the explicit purpose of Cast on Crit Cyclone?

Any idea if it'd be better than CoC Cyclone Discharge with a Voll's Protector?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

Going to start a new melee character in the next league. Whats a fun build to aim for?

Melee Splash is getting buffed, so most things linked to that should be interesting. Dominating Blow, Glacial Hammer, Infernal Blow and Viper Strike stand out.

I'm going to try a staff-based Cast on Crit Blade Vortex character, until it turns out to be terrible.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

nightwisher posted:

If I use three dragons helm to make the lightning damage from shock nova freeze instead, what does the built-in shock chance base it's duration off, and does it still shock?

Chance to shock isn't affected by Three Dragons at all, as it's independent of damage dealt. The duration of applied status effects (except for ignite) is based on the relevant damage dealt, however. Three Dragons just causes status effects to use different damage types to determine their duration. With Three Dragons, your shock duration is based on the amount of fire damage dealt, so 0 fire damage means 0 shock duration.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

So I currently have a scion with a tree that looks like this. The idea was just to grab all the potent area of effect and skill duration nodes around the strength/intelligence area, and it wound up with a lot of life and mana regen, dual cursing and curse effectiveness as a side bonus.

I'm using Abyssal Cry, Contagion and Essence drain right now, but I'm wondering if there are any other interesting builds that follow the same skeleton. Firestorm is all that I can immediately think of.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Fun note for Malachai's mines, they go off if you summon a totem or throw a trap on top of them. You can clear them out safely that way.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Poison bladefall trap (with poison bear trap for single target) is outstanding. Just start shadow and get all the good trap damage nodes you can.

It can run pretty much any map mod, and it's super mobile. Get yourself the unique trap boots early on (they're cheap) and you'll breeze through the acts with an early five-link.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

The Real Foogla posted:

Bladefall by itself is also pretty potent, lots of multipliers. Stacking Added Fire, Hatred and Herald of Ash as a spellcaster feels weird but works.

Poison bladefall trap is exceptionally good specifically because of how it exploits trap damage modifiers. The initial hit is damage from a trap, so it is affected by trap modifiers. The poison damage over time is then based on that initial hit, but is still considered trap damage, so it is affected by those modifiers again. Not only do a lot of trap nodes hold significant amounts of increased damage, but there are multiplicative sources of more damage in the trap and mine damage support gem, as well as the vulnerability curse. Shadows also just get a good handful of starting physical/chaos nodes that cover everything, and even double-dip if you have Ming's Heart or physical > chaos conversion.

When you start mapping, you get to just ignore the existence of map mods like reflect and elemental equilibrium, and blood magic doesn't have a significant affect on your performance.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I thought RF did count as ignite, but clearing the effect from yourself turned the ability off entirely.

I'm totally playing an RF totem build next league, though.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Is Incinerate more viable now with any of the ascendancy classes? None of them seem to fit it particularly well when I looked at them.

Also, are there any builds that fit Eldritch Battery + Zealot's Oath + Mind Over Matter better than most? It's tough to find sources of life leech that far north in the tree to cover the lost regen.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Iron Grip is for ranged weapon attacks. Iron Will is the equivalent for spells.

It looks like an Ascendant with Berserker and Deadeye will probably make the best incinerate character. The Berserker node grants 10% more damage and 1.5% generic leech, while the Deadeye node grants 20% increased projectile speed, up to 30% increased projectile damage, and one extra projectile for wider coverage.

Is there a relatively easy way of getting +1 projectile other than the Deadeye node? It'd be nice if I could spare the LMP link, and skills that fire two projectiles are kind of weird to control.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Necromancer seems like it would actually be pretty good for self-casting builds even without minions. Grabbing the first three ascendancy nodes from the left (Mistress of Sacrifice, Spirit Eater, Commander of Darkness) lets you run Desecrate + Bone/Flesh offering as CWDT links, which provides a huge damage and cast speed bonus. The ascendancy also provides 30% increased skill effect duration, which isn't easy to come by. Spark, Firestorm, Blade Vortex and Essence Drain/Contagion all benefit from that.

Does anyone know if the boost to your auras from Commander of Darkness is per each aura?

EDIT: Looking closer, it's near impossible for that build not to be immediately improved by using Summon Raging Spirits instead of anything else.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 2, 2016

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Do we know if it works on blasphemy auras, then?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Oh drat, patch notes.

Would Poison Blade Vortex be good for a necro build? It seems like the effect duration and generic damage boosts would be good for scaling the poison.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

The poison nerf is only impactful if the support gem is the only thing that was scaling your DoT. If you were running it in a trapper build (that gets more than 300% increased trap damage), the gem dropping from a 120% increase to a 38% increase at level 20 isn't that terrible.

On it's own without any other modifiers though, it's nearly half as effective as it used to be. I'd say it isn't worth using unless it benefits from the same scaling as your primary damage (trap, mine, totem, minion, area, projectile, or chaos).

I'd really like to make poison shockwave totem work, but totem damage nodes are awful.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 3, 2016

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I've settled on trying a ranged crit Puncture build, stacking lots of projectile damage and generic physical damage to get twice as much scaling from both the initial hit and the bleed. Being able to take both the Deadeye and Assassin nodes in the Scion ascendancy tree looks to be massively effective for it. What are some good spells for a Cast When Damage Taken + Curse on Hit link for a ranged character?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Their data for Orb of Storms says "projectiles split into two". Does that mean Orb of Storms is affected by projectile modifiers? It isn't tagged as such.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I've already broken the league for myself by playing an absurdly viable character. I got a Blade Vortex witch to the end of normal and picked up the Mistress of Sacrifice ascendancy node, and now I'm completely indestructible. A high-level CWDT link carries Desecrate, Bone Offering and Chaos Golem. A low-level CWDT link carries Tempest Shield with Curse on Hit + Enfeeble. I'm using Cybil's Paw and running the combo of Eldritch Battery + Zealot's Oath + Mind Over Matter, with 95% of my mana reserved to run Discipline, Vitality and Arctic Armor.

Altogether, this means I constantly have near maximum block and spell block, regain life rapidly whenever I'm being attacked or standing near something, curse anything that tries to hit me with Enfeeble, and 30% of the damage taken from hits goes to my rapidly regenerating ES pool instead of my life. I'm expecting either Bone Offering or the Mistress of Sacrifice node to see some serious nerfs at the end of this league.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 7, 2016

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Magus42 posted:

Could you post your tree? That sounds interesting.

Using the official skill tree, I've been working towards a build like this.

I've got nowhere near enough points to comfortably go crit, so I've been trying to scale the damage with the duration nodes I already have by using poison. The primary link is Blade Vortex + Poison + Spell Echo + Controlled Destruction. Additional links could be used for Faster Casting, Increased Duration, Life Leech, Increased Area of Effect or Concentrated Effect, depending on what you're looking for.

For gear, other than Cybil's Paw (and a Rathpith Globe I can't yet afford), stacking energy shield gear with life and resists covers everything. Physical damage is mitigated through Enduring Cry, a Chaos Golem and Arctic Armor. The only things the build finds really dangerous are occasional huge hits that you don't manage to block, which you can only really manage by building a really huge combined pool of life and energy shield while cursing everything with Enfeeble.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Magus42 posted:

So with EB and ZO, does that mean you've got to constantly be hitting your flasks when you do take hits?

And are you using a bunch of auras w/this?

As another guy said, health is recovered whenever I block with Bone Offering up, and whenever anything gets hit by a Blade Vortex.

For mana reservation, I run Arctic Armor for the damage reduction because I spend so much time standing still while charging up vortex stacks. Right now I'm also running Discipline and Vitality to keep my energy shield high even while casting. The primary weakness of high-block builds is getting one-shot, and Mind Over Matter can only help with that if you have around ~43% of your maximum life as spare energy shield whenever you get hit.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Tykero posted:

Try running Stone Golem and Whirling Blades + Fortify, if you're not already.

Oh crap, I had completely forgotten that Cybil's Paw was a claw, and to a certain degree that claws were even a thing. I had just been thinking that I couldn't use Whirling Blades because my weapon wasn't a dagger or a sword.

Does skill effect duration work on Fortify?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Burno posted:

question for you, what level are your links for Bone Offering? Mine are 15 now with CWDT requiring like 1800 damage, and I am thinking I may have gone too far... (but that block chance)

This build is crazy fun

I've been keeping it as high of a level as possible. Not only does the block chance scale with gem level, but the life gained on block does as well, so keeping it updated is important.

The higher amount of damage needed for it trigger isn't much of an issue as it's a defensive link anyway. If I'm not getting hurt enough for it to trigger, then I don't really need it.

Phobophilia posted:

I've found that linking CwDT-Desecrate-Bone Offering isn't reliable, and won't reliably drop desecrate corpses before the offering goes off. But that could come down to the link order, so maybe I need something that goes Red --> Green --> Blue in clockwise order. Has anyone found that to work properly?

I've tried a bunch of different configurations, and none of them work. I'm pretty sure Desecrate takes too long to spawn the corpses, so Bone Offering won't have targets available in time. The second trigger will work, obviously. Your idea is probably the best solution.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 9, 2016

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Voltaxic has very low physical damage. Instead, it has a lot of added lightning damage. Physical damage scaling doesn't affect that part at all.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

I'm not super clear on how the reflect reduction works, though. It says "reduced [...] damage taken", so does that mean it's applied after "physical damage reduction" from armor + endurance charges, and then linear with the 20% reduced damage taken from fortify? Does fortify reduce reflected damage?

All forms of "reduced [TYPE] damage taken" stack additive together, after armor. Armor and endurance charges are "physical damage reduction", a different effect.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 27, 2016

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Looking for judgements on a build; Siege Ballista with full physical to elemental conversion from a Physical to Lightning support and the Blackgleam quiver, passives stretching from the Templar totem/elemental nodes through the Scion life wheel down to the Ranger and Duelist nodes, as well as the elemental penetration for weapons from Forces of Nature.

Which ascendancy should I go with? The build could start as a Templar, Scion, Duelist or Ranger with no trouble. Pathfinder Ranger can get 10% elemental penetration and flask nodes, and Inquisitor can get +2 maximum totems (with a penalty). A Scion can get regen and damage from Chieftain, and the second big node could be Deadeye for an additional projectile and some damage, or Elementalist for 5% elemental penetration, some damage, and 4% reduced elemental damage taken. Thoughts?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I'm probably going to play a Blade Vortex + Bone Offering Necromancer again, it felt good last league. Reflect actually makes that build gain life, from the life gain on spell-block.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

maybe I specced into way too much damage/blade as I went crit, but phys reflect maps would destroy me

My damage gear was trash and I used a Lazhwar to push for max spell-block, but different specs could affect that. I went for poison instead of crit, to get more work out of the skill effect duration nodes. I had 0% crit from Controlled Destruction while running Arctic Armor, a Chaos golem, and 4 endurance charges. With 8 ascendancy points as the new upper limit, Necromancers can get Chaos resist easier as well.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 3, 2016

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Is Weight of the Empire with Frostbreath potentially a thing to build around, or am I being stupid? Having two effects that cause you to deal double damage on a really strong melee attack skill that could potentially crit makes me want to try to freeze an act boss.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Am I missing something, or does a Scorching Ray + Cast While Channeling + Firestorm build do absolutely stupid damage when you pick up all the skill effect duration nodes by Scion? I'm using a calculator that gives a 23% chance of any given firestorm impact hitting a target in the effect's area.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Wow, you guys were right. Poison Tornado Shot Assassin looks like it deals broken amounts of damage with just an Infractem bow. I'm looking at 1.5 million DPS in path of building. Unless I'm mistaken, the beta changes to DoTs means they don't get reduced by GMP, so you can scale damage like crazy with additional projectiles that can hit the same target, like they do with Barrage or Tornado Shot.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

How does it look in 3.0 path of building?

I was talking about 3.0.

If were asking about the tree, it's something like this.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 20, 2017

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

How about a path of building pastebin instead?

Oh drat, I didn't see the auto-pastebin option before now: https://pastebin.com/gcwq9Xav

I only just slapped it together to test the numbers out, but the tree will always follow the same sort of route. Trim extra low-value damage nodes to to make it a little less point-expensive. The only gear that actually matters is a Cospri's Will, because it's a free poison link and dual-curse in one item. Infractem is good to have to not worry about pierce nodes, though.

TheRat posted:

They just made a post about them nerfing top end of poison again. Dont plan on it.

I'm actually really curious how they could nerf it significantly enough without killing poison entirely. I've never seen another build with numbers that high. The next-best thing I have for 3.0 is only 450k DPS, and that's after some wind-up time.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 20, 2017

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

How do you manage that?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I always just check my stuff against a default enemy with ~40 in all elemental resists, because that seemed to be the average when I checked the wiki.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 20, 2017

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Stangg posted:

The time it would take to "create" average rares for the build just puts me off, so I dont really make full use of the power of it until I have gear already and can just import it.

There's already a list of default average rares under the list of the uniques. All the yellow armor pieces you can drag in from below the uniques don't have resistances set, but they have decent life rolls and local defense, or move speed if they're boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Does anybody have an opinion on whether the Bino's and Southbound combo is worthwhile on a poison trap Saboteur using Bladefall and Bear Trap? I'm looking at a build with good DPS (based on trap cooldown speed), but the survivability is questionable.

• Locked thread