Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
My Darkshrine haul is a bunch of q20s and buying an exalt at about ~30% off Standard chaos prices

I think the one-month had exponential rewards for time investment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Oh, so THAT's why people were buying jewels in mass?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
It is Poacher's Mark that is on-hit and works only with Hits caused by Attacks.

I didn't realize you could now aurify Warlord's Mark for the elemental leech. Hmm. On the other hand, there's ele leech from tree now, so maybe it just doesn't matter so much.

ronya fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 8, 2015

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I'm not sure a life/es/eva hybrid is really viable. GGG appears to want it, given how the tree is laid out, but I dunno. Maybe if Acro/Phase Acro didn't impose any ES penalty?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Evasion builds have to build around on taking occasional hits, and so have to have more life, not less life; evasion is not a substitute for life. Armour is a substitute for life. There shouldn't be a giant evasion wheel near the Scion, it should be a giant armour wheel, with the life wheel moved to the other side.

But it would be a lot of redesign work to correct that, so maybe they're taking it bit by bit.

Kild posted:

um how was it nerfed

pathing past all the scattered life passive groups is a bit trickier now, they reduced the point efficiency a bit

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
If you're heading for the Power Charge, it costs two points instead of one to get to Written in Blood, which is amongst the better life groups (4+4+4+8, and 10 str).

Whether or not Blood Drinker (6+8+6) is now in a worse position for you depends on your build, I guess. Same with Revenge of the Hunted (4+4+4+4+4).

My favourite character actually saves a few points with the changes, and the Evasion and Energy Shield north of Nullification is usable as a travel node to the Power Charge (I wasn't getting Written in Blood anyway). I also get more bow crit, even more than the loss to non-specific crit.

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 8, 2015

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

TheRat posted:

Bullshit. If you ask IoT, he will tell you Im the most life-horny player in our guild. Im going to play a melee ranger on hc. I will not take the scion life wheel.

armour/US/IR/block build?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
that's a lot of life without the Scion wheel. Do you path into Marauder?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I saw someone buying a Pacifism the other day in the trade channel, and now there's the divination card. Is there a recipe we don't know about?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
When returning to POE after a year or so, I chromed a Voll's Protector without thinking to try out a slightly different combination, then had to spend hundreds of chromes trying to get the original back. Had forgotten that there was a good reason for the original to begin with.

(eventually a goon just gave me one that already had the combo)

ronya fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 11, 2015

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
the XYZ currency trade seems to be now populated.

it's interesting to see just how wide currency spreads are, all in one place - it's easily as much as 20% of the offer. The market is really illiquid.

also, Voll's Devotion is continuing to increase in price. Meh.

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 14, 2015

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I remember Voltaxics dropping into the range of <30 chaos, although Darkshrine had rampant chaos deflation and crazy endgame loot fountains, so perhaps that's not a good guide

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
sporking got nerfed, settled into a decent-but-not-great equilibrium for a while, and selfcasting started improving past it. Totems can't use Spell Echo. Totems can't trigger, conversely, triggers mean that selfcasting doesn't cost you the ability to cast utility spells. Totems can't use Herald effects. Reflect got nerfed hard, removing one of the attractions of totems. The benefit of rapidly stacking Shock got nerfed. Shotgunning got taken out entirely.

I suspect a spell totem build today would not use Spark, just because there are now so many other skills that don't need shotgunning to handle single targets, even with the Spark buff. I've seen a bunch of RF totems recently.

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 22, 2015

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

quote:

Fixed a bug where you were unable to equip a bow on top of an already equipped bow, if you had a quiver equipped.
Fixed a bug where equipping a bow when you only had a quiver equipped would cause your quiver to be placed on your cursor.

Was wondering when this bug crept in.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

DemonMage posted:

I got a Cold Grasp skin for Cold Snap.

the preview animation seems really slow

now I'm wondering what horror it'll look like with a coc cold snap build

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
The wiki sadly doesn't give a sense of where the notables are. Since a lot of the skill tree choice is based on being efficient with pathing, it's not too great.

Here is a skill tree builder, seems up to date.

Roughly speaking, the keystones and notables at the edges do funky, build-defining things, whilst the notables in each class area give a lot of stats for very cheap.

Your main choices, roughly, are:

- defense, are you going with armour only (path to Iron Reflexes, near the south. May also want to pick up Unwavering Stance across), or armour/evasion, or evasion only (Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics are efficiently cheap)

- offense: ranger is divided between one-hander melee or bows. With most bow setups, you can't block, so don't worry about block for now. With physical or physical-to-elemental-conversion bow skills, the main decision to make are whether to go for critical strike (lots in the ranger area, including knockback with King of the Hill near the south, the Lethality ball in the corner, and the the Shadow starting area further up north). Without critical strike, you would probably instead want to path to Resolute Technique and Iron Grip. Flat elemental bow builds are different, I don't know enough about them to advise.

- these choices are subject to the main constraint of having to pick up a lot of %increased maximum life from the tree. This is part where just picking up notables here and there will hurt - you won't travel near enough %life nodes. A lot of juicy stuff like %accuracy or %attack speed or even %physical damage have to be automatically passed over just because it won't get you near to enough %life groups. This is particularly important for the entire eastern side of the tree, where the life passives are split into small, distant groups. You will not go too badly wrong if you picked your main keystones notables, then typed "increased maximum life" into the tree builder and tried to path next to all the life near your desired notables.

ronya fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 26, 2015

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Oh, yeah. If you plan to just run about in Cruel with wild abandon, then yea, anything goes. Take all the damage.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
the challenge league guild stash is great for that

or at least I guess the intention is for it to be great for that? All the skill gems I see that have plausibly common use go into the gstash

the standard gstash, though...

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Belly is good for certain setups but isn't build-defining.

The obvious suggestion is to sell the Belly for a exalt, then use your 1.5+ exalts to buy a Bino's and go to town for as long poison is still broken.

I'm curious about The Goddess Unleashed. What did it have during development?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I'm guessing the need to 6L has eased a bit with the mana buff and corresponding abandonment of Blood Magic

but, yes, normally one plans around a 5L

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
2ex can get you a lot of 6S5L unique armours like a Voll's Protector or Kingsguard or Carcass Jack or Lightning Coil, or even sorta-like-a-good-rare armours like Belly of the Beast or Queen of the Forest

which underscores the cost of obtaining a 6L, even one on a non-top-tier base

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I'm kind of worrying about how they'll nerf fakener because the nerf's likely to impact other coc builds, even those not banking on the insanity that is Blade Vortex + Voll's Protector + Discharge

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I could see them slapping damage effectiveness onto the chance to generate power charges.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
my crit LA ranger just reached level 78 in the middle of a Dried Lake when I was suddenly seized by an intense feeling of ennui

just... wow, this is boring. Non-frustrating now that I have 4k lmp+chain tooltip rather than 1.6k, but still drab to play, and the next gear improvements cost tons of jewelers and fusings. I just ain't feeling it.

is this what fuels alt-itis

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Larry Parrish posted:

This usually happens to me in Act 4 also. It's a major effort struggle for me to try and kill those annoying rear end bosses in anything past Normal. SO i have like 20 characters

see, those are achievable goals for me. I can tweak a build so that I can stomp on Merc Dominus.

but map bosses, ehhhh.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
is your Cybil's a paw+shield build, or a paw+paw build?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I enjoy rolling up some pre-made builds and doing new stuff, but sometimes I want to try some new characters. At the same time, I don't want to spend hours rolling up something that will be a complete deadend waste of time. How long does it take to become familiar enough with the game that you can tell when something's a dead end?

theorycrafting's a matter of browsing the wiki and posting it in public so you can see what you've missed

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
here's an Acrobatics version of a Chin Sol build

edit: never mind, looks super out of date

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

az posted:

What's wrong with it? And what would be a better single target for a non voltaxic LA/TS ranger, blast rain?

Frenzy's bad because it's too easy to generate Frenzy charges through Blood Rage. As a skill, Frenzy just doesn't give enough bonus %damage, as the penalty for charge generation (compare level 20 Frenzy with 3 charges - giving you 136+20=151% damage - with level 1 Burning Arrow, which gives you 150%+15%/s for 4s ignite)

TS with GMP is actually decent (not LMP - you need more secondary arrows). It's not awe-inspiring, but it'll plink away at single targets faster than LA will. Aim slightly behind a single target. TS also has implicit piercing, handy for taking out a single target behind a wall of adds.

if you intend to run bosses that like to move a lot, like Voll, then puncture crit works well. Doesn't work so great for odd rares.

your other main options are puncture-trapping or vaalburningarrow-trapping. These work better if your bow is awesome enough that you can murder whatever you want to murder in one or two point blank traps. I am running a non-voltaxic LA/TS ranger right now in Talisman - I gave up on trapping, too many rares with skills that allow them to destroy traps. It's a pain to fight leap slammers, lightning warpers, storm heralds, etc. without Clever Construction.

ronya fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 4, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
attempting to get both the mace damage nodes and the dual-wielding damage nodes smells faintly of diminishing returns

if you're not speccing for a unique-heavy build, don't waste points on resistances from tree, where possible. That's the problem with the Scion start. Scion only really shines if you need to go in opposite directions on the tree at once.

the ideal Marauder starting passives are the life nodes, not the Melee Physical Damage nodes, I think.

Molten Strike, well. If you use MPD with Molten Strike, you're not going to apply More to your projectile damage. Consider Static Strike for an attack whose gimmick applies melee-tagged damage. If you're going WED, then you should consider P2L and then just picking up the elemental nodes close by instead. That would also apply to both melee and proj components without any jiggering.

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 4, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
pre-2.0 Act 3 had a longer, mazier Slums-Warehouses-Marketplace with multiple routes through it and fewer direction prompts. It also had an additional zone between the Warehouse Sewers and the Ebony Barracks, and additional levels in Solaris and Lunaris. The Lunaris waypoint location was not fixed to the staircase. Were there other changes?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
the trick with the bosses is to mob them in a public group

a lot of them force you to dodge stuff, or deal with adds - in a group, other people can keep chipping away even whilst one or two people have to stop to move

the only exception thus far is merry-go-round Piety

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Kild posted:

Each mine is like 500 mana.

could run multiple vaal clarities, perhaps

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

quote:

Vaal Spark is being adjusted in the Ascendancy expansion.

RIP.

quote:

(One thing that bothers me is the quantity of stacked items. It is ridiculous, for example, you can only stack 10 chaos or 10 alchs… That takes a big part of the stash, that is already tiny, when you have a lot of those items. Maybe your intention is to force players to buy more stash tabs. I would like to know if is there any possibility to increase the maximum limit of the stacked items.)

This is a good point. It's something we have discussed internally recently. We are looking at other options for more convenient storage of currency items.

yessss

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
triple storm call on switch might be funny. unlike CoC, you can triple cast all of them

you can't usefully triple cast discharge sadly, the usefulness of exploding a single power charge is dubious

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
elemental spectral throw with a Terminus Est worked for me way back when

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
also, it doesn't do you any good to slam the flask once the windup animation has started; your resistances are taken from the beginning of the windup

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Ada posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they added an explicit Aura Totem support gem some time in the future with something like "+10% reserved mana" instead of it being a multiplier. I mean they ended up making Blasphemy so why not at this point right?

They already did, it's this thing. Stacking it with Reduced Mana and passive nodes, AFAIK you can reduce the mana cost of aura totems to zero.

GarudaPrime posted:

Im approaching act three merciless and am about 64. I have no experience in the endgame.

Is it realistic for me to complete the challenges to get the gear in this league at this point if I only play a few hours every other night during the week and maybe 8-10 hours on the weekend?

My first character is following a triple totem, magic find oriented build that according to the guide i'm following should be able to do up to t8 maps before having to transition into a full on group magic find culler.

I just have no context for this stuff as I said its my first dude to get to the endgame.

You need to lurk in the global channels for challenge completion. /global 820 is good for levelling Zana, swapping exiles, and getting unique/twinned maps.

You can probably write off the identify-all-these-items challenges as uncompleteable without more commitment, unless a you get a mirror drop or something.

ronya fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 15, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
If you do full Zana rotations every day (i.e., 5+2.5 mission exp), it'll "only" take three weeks to level her from 7 to 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I'm guessing that developers do want skills to feel punchy and weighty in the critical first twenty minutes of gameplay

good design would probably allow for spells to have discreetly reduced effects when they go off a lot - maybe all triggered spells should just play a alternate reduced-fx version - but PoE seems to be hurting for artists as is

• Locked thread