Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Are there any cheap summoner builds you guys can suggest? "Cheap" as in "a new player could afford them". Most of the stuff I'm looking at assumes you've got end game characters running with optimal equipment.

There's a difference between "this would be nice" and "this build is crap without it", a distinction not often made in build guides unfortunately. I recommend going for a 'traditional' summoner build, meaning zombies + spectres. It's a very strong build that requires practically no investment to be good.

AngryAA always has great summoner builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'm thinking more and more about trying out Viper Strike + Melee Splash now that it (probably?) doesn't suck anymore.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Hamburger Test posted:

I was going to wait for the next update, but I'm thinking about doing this one anyway. Probably going to do something stupid, like levelling with bows, again. I think the rebalanced low level bows and Siege Balista might help not wanting to kill myself.

Kind of sad they hit Split Arrow again, back to LA/TS I guess if Blast Rain isn't amazing.

Poison Arrow got buffed to 37% at level 1 so it might be good for leveling now coupled with the low level bow buff.

I personally don't understand why Tornado Shot got buffed by 10%. It's been amazing since day one, especially because it works so well for both single target and AoE.

I had a crit shock nova build in Darkshrine, my experience was that it was amazing for AoE clearing (as expected) but it was underwhelming for single target. With the current buff it should be a perfectly viable skill.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

My personal experience with an EB/MoM/ZO caster build is that it generally works well until a very hard hitting boss shits all over your MoM ES if you can't kill it relatively quickly. I was crit shock nova which has underwhelming single target so I had to run around and 'wait' until my ES recharged when faced with hard hitting, tanky bosses and rares. This was with full endurance and frenzy charges up + blood dance boots + all the good life regen nodes near Witch and Templar in a 5L set-up with about 1.3-1.5k ES.

It's probably a lot better with spells that have good single target and it's a lot cheaper and easier to set up than before the EB rework but I don't like having a system that kind of breaks down in an annoying way when you need it the most. I'd only play another caster build this league if I'm sure it has good single target damage.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Dirt posted:

I must be weird, I don't find dual flame totem that boring.

I have limited experience with other builds though. I played a Ranger to like level 45 when the game first came out, and I felt like I died all the drat time. I never die with the flame totem Witch :D
A big Marauder 2H build seems cool too. Maybe Ill try a cyclone build?

Both dual flame and shockwave totem are strong builds. Cyclone is one of the best skills in the game at the moment so that's a good choice too.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Here is a good guide on how to speed level. It shows how to reach Cruel in under 2 hours on a fresh character in the 2.0 meta. Optimal strats change with new leagues, ofcourse, but the general principles are always the same. He explains all the important stuff in about the first 30 minutes so you don't have to watch the whole video.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

If you're going to play HC, you must accept the fact that you're going to die. And it's usually because you did someting really, really dumb. There's plenty of (hilarious) examples of very experienced and skilled streamers dying to the dumbest poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9i7i7LHmL0

I've played 3 HC leagues since Bloodlines, but I'm going SC this league because I don't feel like spending as much time as I did back then. The first league I died at least 15 times, and most of the deaths were before I hit maps. The next two leagues went a lot better but I still died plenty. Overall I think I've died at least 3 times because I was typing something in guild chat while stray mobs were killing me faster than I expected. Strongboxes are extremely lethal and you'll learn with experience to treat them with respect. An unlucky crit in a dangerous map from the likes of even 1 white Bone Colossus can bring you close to death, if not outright kill you depending on your defenses.

Whenever I died I would usually stare at my screen for a minute, then immediately reroll. Most HC players I know of do more or less the same.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

nightwisher posted:

If I use three dragons helm to make the lightning damage from shock nova freeze instead, what does the built-in shock chance base it's duration off, and does it still shock?

I'm thinking crit shock nova with fcr/aoe/lit.pen/echo, herald of ice/thunder, aurified ele weakness and rear end mark, EB + ZO with an Arc + LL/echo/lit.pen for ES regen against curse immune mobs. I have no plan for reflect other than use a topaz flask and div distillate with flask effect nodes to get 93% lit resist. This is probably where it will fall apart.

edit: Wait, my math was wrong, I can hit 96% lit resist ideally. Will that be enough to mitigate reflect enough?

Reflect wasn't an issue for my crit shock nova as long as I used my topaz flask on time. I didn't use three dragons but I did get a call of the brotherhood ring (it was about 1-1.5 ex in darkshrine), which adds a lot of safety due to freezing mobs all the time and some extra clear speed with HoI.

Ekster fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 11, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Here's a google spreadsheet of build archtypes ProjectPT created on the right side, with some random builds by other people he's currently reviewing on twitch. Just copy+paste the link in the new Offline PoE Skill Tree and you should have a good idea of what to do.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Started a new character in the new HC league after not having played for a year, got to act 4, and ran into an unique boss called "The Burning Man".

Time to reroll!

I suggest at least watching a youtube video explaining all the bosses because there are a couple more situations like that that's likely to kill your character.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Jester Mcgee posted:

I want to do an SRS build, but I've never done one before, and I am having trouble figuring out which ones on the official forums are good. Can someone point me in the right direction?

SRS got changed a lot but the same principles still apply AFAIK. Streamer RaizQT is playing a SRS build and from what little I've seen it's a lot cheaper and easier to be effective than it was before, but I don't know about how it compares to the old SRS at the end game. Most important elements of any SRS build are getting the skill duration nodes, cast nodes and minion nodes. Getting quality on the SRS gem is important (= extra movement speed, helps a lot with clear speed) and so are gem levels. People generally get a white 5L staff (should only be a couple of chaos) and then alt spam it until it has +2 to fire gems, which is generally not that hard to get. SRS used to be really underwhelming if you didn't do all those things first but again, from what I've seen, that no longer seems to be the case.

I've been trying out a Contagion + Essence Drain build (very similar to Hauki's) and it has to be one of the smoothest leveling experiences I've ever had. Contagion is like pre-nerf ele prolif, perhaps even better and ED does a lot of single target damage as well. The only downside is that ED's projectile speed is a bit slow but everything else more than makes up for it.

From what I've heard and seen every single new skill gem is actually good. GGG usually releases new skill gems in some lackluster nerfed version because they are afraid it's going to break the game but I'm glad they didn't do that apparently this time.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I tried to make "MakeWraeclastGreatAgain".

It was already taken.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Generally speaking you want to scale a lot of elemental melee skills with physical anyway because the elemental part is a percentage of the physical damage.

Builds that revolve around flat elemental damage generally involve very high attack speeds and have completely different passive trees and gear.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

There are plenty of map bosses, especially in high tiers, that do absurd spike damage. You deal with them by taking the appropriate resistance flask, hitting them offscreen or just skipping them altogether.

I personally wish map bosses were balanced more evenly instead of having 4 easy map bosses in a particular tier and 2 ridiculously tough ones most builds skip.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

AFAIK, Leech is only based on the actual damage you deal; so, it's post conversion, armor reduction, etc.

Note that the attack damage leech wheel near duelist applies to both elemental and physical so you might want to look into that if you're going part phys/ele melee.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Frogmanv2 posted:

I dont think I can stress this enough, but gently caress the malachai fight. gently caress it hard.

It was even better at launch.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Mo_Steel posted:

I like the idea of Converting a bunch of enemies to fight for me, and really wanted to like Conversion Trap, but it sure seems awful. Is Dominating Blow a more viable option for a build with something like Melee Splash?

It's viable but not amazing from what I've seen. It did get buffed directly and indirectly the last couple of patches so you should be able to make a decent build out of it, but I've never tried it out myself.

Xequecal posted:

Is Dominus' Touch of God an auto one shot on Merciless? Unlike the Vaal Oversoul's one shot which is really easy to dodge, i practiced trying to dodge it when fighting him on cruel and I still got hit once or twice. I'm doing a Det/Grace build with about 30,000 armor at this point, will I be able to take a hit from this?

What's your build and HP? Assuming you're melee you should be able to dodge it with a bit of careful play, like only attacking him when he attacks something else or when he's in the middle of another attack and preemptively getting out of the way. Using something like a Decoy Totem helps a lot. Note that his Touch of God attack does both lightning and physical damage so armor will only go so far. Bringing a Topaz Flask to the fight is useful if you want to be careful.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Kild posted:

Dom Blow has a lot of buggy interactions with stuff like bloodlines. Stuff like giving you corrupting blood when the monster dies.

This is my favorite one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBN4dzG9bQ0

What happened is one of his converted mobs releases poison clouds when it dies/expires. However that poison cloud is buffed by his links and passives so it does a shitload of damage. This vid is one and a half years ago so I assume they have that one fixed by now but I'd never play a dom blow build on hardcore.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaaQKBXEMSg

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Ranzear posted:

I'm just a scrublet who has never seen an Exalted Orb.

But one level can make all the difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLAC0p4xVmc

As soon as I heard eurobeat I knew I was in for a ride.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'd like to add that if you're at the start of a league you should pick up all blue rings, amulets and belts while leveling, especially in the earlier difficulties, until you have good resists. A blue two-stone ring with an additional resist mod is way better than the vast majority of rares you'll find. Also don't be afraid to keep a ring with a high single elemental resist for boss fights or certain areas, like lightning resist for Dominus, fire for Kaom, etc. If your build allows a shield it's incredibly easy to cap resists.

Capping resists while leveling is not vital but it makes everything a lot easier. As you play the game more you'll know when you need what resist and can even handle boss fights with poor resists if you know what you're doing. For example, resists are not that important in Dried Lake because most damage there is physical, which is one of the reasons why it's a popular leveling zone. So if you're at like ~50% resists or something you could opt to level up until you're ready to take on maps before you fix your resists.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

kaaj posted:

When you guys are participating in races, what builds do you usually try to do? I'm only asking as I'm poo poo as hell when racing and I just feel amazed when I'm i.e. lv 8 while the guy in first spot is usually almost double that. I'm presuming that he's skipping a lot of content, just running forward?

Builds change all the time for racing but the principles you see in the following video are true no matter what league:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NsSZSDSVWQ

As for current meta for any given character, look up youtube or twitch for popular racers, mors and helmann are great at marauder and duelist respectively as already mentioned and Karvarousku generally runs witch and sometimes templar. Although I'm not personally into racing I did spend some time trying to get better at speedleveling before this league started and what's probably the most important thing, after having studied the main principles, is just practice. Getting faster is a cumulation of lots of small things, like minimizing town visits, adjusting gear on the run, spotting map cues for exits, so don't get discouraged if it takes a while to get anywhere close to top racers.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Yeah I'd say go for 1.5k ES at the very least.

My EB/MoM/ZO build had 1.8k ES and although it works great in most situations I really didn't like how it falls apart in situations where you need it the most (i.e. during big damage spikes against a tough rare or boss).

EDIT: at 1k I might respec out of it even until you can get more ES quite frankly.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

If you want top end ES gear it's going to cost you a lot, but if you go for decent ES it isn't too bad in my experience.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Elementalist Witch looks like she's having the time of her life.

Also free ele prolif looks sweet.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

I never know how to read something like this. Is "top end" when you stop looking at buyout-only or merely in the ~10ex range? Is "decent" the stuff I'm buying at 10's of chaos or is that what you'd call "entry" or "scrub" or something? I'm comfortably tanky up through t7, haven't really hit the wall though.

And I was, inelegantly, trying to ask if I switch over to a build that relies on evasion or armor if the same actual tankiness for the same cost? As in other games had defensive stats that involved massively different calculations so certain classes or defensive schemes weren't really able to hit the same total EHP.

Yes, that's what I meant to say, decent being 5-15 chaos gear and top end being multiple ex.

ES is considerably more expensive than an equivalent armor or evasion build, yes. Unless you're rich you're better off going for a life-based build in most cases. You don't need that much ES for a EB/MoM/ZO build (which is still life-based) so it's still affordable at that range but if you're going CI or low-life you're going to have a harder time than life-based builds unless you have the cash to buy top-tier stuff.

Ekster fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 5, 2016

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

You've got general chat open, shocking indeed.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Wack-a-mole totem looking good.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Could I get a guild re-invite?

IGN: EksterRedRibbon

Thanks!

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I hope they buff Scion's dialogue as well.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Yeah mathil is the best but this is better than Kripp trying to catch up to 5 leagues worth of updates.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

They gave a lot of streamers alpha access/permission to stream including mathil who's streaming alpha right now.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I've just been reviewing the ascendancy classes again and I still can't believe that the Inquisitor's Ignore Elemental Resistances on Crit notable is going to make it in apparently. We'll know for sure when the patch notes are in, I suppose, but if it stays the way it is I'm seriously considering going Lightning Strike one-hand crit mace with full elemental conversion. Or maybe a fire-based skill with Three Dragons if that's going to work as well.

I think it's going to be even more insanely broken than the Assassin class, but we'll have to see the final passive tree for that I suppose.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

ronya posted:

Path of Exile isn't Diablo 2: LOD. Most monsters don't have high resists, roughly ~30s. If you deal monoelemental damage, a Penetration support will easily exceed that (atop also working with your non-crit rolls, instead of just getting 10%).

So it's better for multi-elemental builds.

It's also stronger for builds that struggle with single-target, since it is the rares and map bosses that will have higher resists (and Righteous Providence will helpfully give you +45% crit multi against them). Obviously it's also favourable with crit. Inevitable Judgment is ideally the Cast on Crit notable, I think.

Yeah I agree, it won't make a huge difference with trash mobs but I think it'll really shine against tough rares and bosses.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Vorenus posted:

Terrible goon here looking for a cheap but fun cookie cutter build for the new season. FWIW 90% of the acronyms and posts in this thread are as intelligible to me as цыка блят руссиан.

It's impossible to say without the full patch notes, they usually release that at least a day before it goes live. The entire community makes tons of builds in preparation of the new league when all information is available, including lots of experienced streamers who know what they are talking about, so just wait for that is my advice.

That being said, unless it's going to get nerfed and/or outclassed by new skills, stuff like Firestorm caster and Cyclone/Ice Crash is probably still going to be great for beginners.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

There is no RNG, all is pre-ordained by the will of Chris Wilson.

EDIT: Mathil just uploaded a vid on his alpha Inquisitor impression so far. He pretty much confirmed what I already suspected, that is that it's going to be the best ascendancy for any crit elemental build barring any major changes. Given that the critical strike gem increases local crit chance as well taking Assassin is not going to be necessary to cap crit on a lot of builds.

Ekster fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 28, 2016

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I didn't take ED/Contagion very far into mapping last league but in my experience leveling was very smooth and map clear speed was fairly fast so I don't get the negativity of some people around it. If you don't like the play style that's understandable but it seemed like a perfectly fine build to me.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Crit builds in general are harder to gear for and more expensive, with some exceptions. That being said, actually getting crit will be a lot easier this league due to ascendancies like Assassin and the buffed Increased Critical Strike gem so it should be a lot easier and cheaper, barring some major changes in the patch notes as far as I can tell.

You said earlier that you are still very new to the game. Personally I would recommend going for a caster build (Witch Elementalist seems like a good choice if you go non-crit), pick any good spell (most of them are good, like Firestorm). If you want to go melee going Two-Handed Resolute Technique (Marauder Berserker seems like a good ascendancy for that) using whatever melee skill you like (Sunder and Earthquake look good from what I've seen in alpha streams so far) is also a good choice for beginners. Going ele ST is doable for a first character in the coming league from what we've seen but it's a bit harder to gear for and therefore more complicated.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Going with the new Orb of Storms + any lightning spell you like (Spark, Arc, Ball of Lightning) makes for a very smooth leveling experience from what I've seen on alpha streams and is strong in end game as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Those 50% MS boots with no level req is seriously the unique I'm most excited for.

• Locked thread