Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I really like the idea of Blade Vortex, but have been having a hard time figuring out a way to make it the primary attack. Best I've come up with so far is using at as an adjunct to Righteous Fire: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAACGfYTRW4V-GUoMhb-WXaYpYyIcNodJDW-eiCx0GHHb6cvrc-M4cNH4PM_goD7jwoPC3Yvcaug18LYQxfxPavbBynJ-1o8lOlBg4ZLnwO8B_UfNlhp1WiAAn2Vw2tjVugBLPxrJZs85vPfkPIwGYpLpHOaGV2rE8EPAV8uLvtn9_vfBo-mjtfP-08gpsUIPZI1absOO8OxFjkIjrYUEc9_BpsAZFYY52uNukt0sbYpwgDdSSqnz7r7pErFm-a4IUyWHfjakWdXwRTUg==
That's dependent on Blade Vortex actually doing "Hits" to leech from Warlord's Mark though. Anyone know if that should work?

Otherwise I guess RF still has to wait until Rise of the Phoenix at lvl 65.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Don't forget that Spark got a 76% damage boost last patch. I've been playing it in standard with this build that has way too little life:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...O9Q7-v56PrS_go=

It clears pretty fast and you die instantly to elemental reflect if you have all your power charges up.

The other huge buff to Spark a couple minor patches ago was that the projectiles no longer fizzle if you are standing on a pebble. If you tried it a while ago and found it really random in effectiveness, that bug might have been why.

Pretty sure someone better than me can make a decent Spark build after this patch.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I think this part is going to tip me over to Viper Strike poison Shadow for first character:

"Rather than dealing the damage of the highest hit (as Ignite does), poison can now have multiple stacks. This means that every hit counts, rather than just the occasional big hit. This also lets it scale much better towards end-game, and differentiates it from other damage-over-time effects."

Maybe actually use Phase Run to sneak up on things and poison them?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

NecroMonster posted:

Common as hell enemy mod too, I hate curse immune so much it's lame.

Anyone out there who still gets to design a Unique? "Your curses ignore immunity" seems like a nice unique to have in the mix. Only worth it for a dedicated curser, but lets them have an option.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

vOv posted:

How does this look for Arc? I figured I'll make a bit of money using it and then try a hybrid chaos caster.

I'd start more like this and then either respec into more damage nodes or add them at high level if survivability is good enough for you. For jewels, you could try Clear Mind (or if you want run Clarity and Herald of Thunder, a +% life/+% lightning red jewel), Anatomical Knowledge (in top spot) and Survival Secrets (or better rare jewel; this one is easy to get).

Ekster posted:

I'm thinking more and more about trying out Viper Strike + Melee Splash now that it (probably?) doesn't suck anymore.

My plan is to do this tree (heading to ]this if all goes well). Whirling Blades-CoC-Wither-Blade Vortex, Viper Strike-Melee Physical-Melee Splash-Multistrike-(Life Leech? Faster Attacks? Added Chaos? Blind? Enhance? Rapid Decay?), Run Warlord's Mark and/or Vulnerability on Blasphemy or self cast. Smoke Mine for boxes/fast getaways to let the poison do its thing. Ice Golem or Chaos Golem. And of course luck into a Bino's Kitchen Knife.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Some quick experimentation shows it's not too hard to get three of these for a witch. You need to sacrifice five passive points on dead-end Intelligence points to do so, which seems reasonable if the mages are actually cool.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Kind of bummed there isn't a threshold jewel for all the starter jewels yet. There's one more to be revealed and the following skills that only require level 1 don't have one:
Cleave
Infernal Blow
Lightning Strike
Molten Strike
Double Strike
Dual Strike
Elemental Hit
Ethereal Knives
Fire Trap
Frost Blades
Ice Shot
Shrapnel Shot (I'm betting Volley Fire is for this)
Split Arrow
Freezing Pulse
Lightning Tendrils
Magma Orb
Raise Zombie
Spark

Interestingly, two skills that require level 4 did get jewels:
Vigilant Strike
Animate Weapon
Cold Snap

And two that require level 10:
Rallying Cry
Summon Skeletons

I think it's a cool design space and hope they keep adding more.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I'm wrong about Volley Fire, it's for Barrage. Additional 2 projectiles on first and last attacks in the barrage. Pretty bad rear end, and gives hope that they will someday do something for Sweep, since Barrage is a level 12 gem!

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

theshim posted:

What's your build for this? I'm very interested in running a blade vortex character for no good reason.
Here's one I just made up, but I think it's a start, since I've been thinking about Blade Vortex, poison, etc for several days now:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...-Ii4qQ5o-9Ugg==

This is for self-cast BV. 174% life, 90% duration, 32% cast speed, 222% increased damage, 25% increased radius. Not great mitigation. Evasion's your best defense and it's only 175%. It's pretty easy to drop life and increase physical for even more glass cannon. Not super easy to do the reverse. Haven't done the math but pretty sure you'll be able to maintain 50 stacks with a single gem devoted to Faster Casting or Increased Duration.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Arzachel posted:

More dumb questions, most crit builds I've looked at skimp on crit multiplier nodes. What do they use to make up for this, the crit damage support gem? Also, how much less necessary is mana/mana regen for casters compared to Warbands?

Have you been looking at elemental crit stuff? I've made some builds* where I wasn't too worried about crit multi because I just wanted to stack burning/shocked/chilled/frozen all over the place.

*not very good builds...

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Washout posted:

Can I make a lightning warp/flicker strike cast on crit build yet?

No, you will throw up/have seizures, so they don't allow it.

(This thread suggests it will work. I guess it might be useful if you are having trouble sustaining frenzy charges to just Flicker Strike continuously; the Lightning Warp will yank you away from wherever you were and make monsters miss.)

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Rookersh posted:

Actually, better question. According to the OP/a quick look at the tree, most builds are going to be dependent on the larger nodes that seem to change a lot of stuff. Is there a good list of them all, where they are, and what ones work best for certain classes?

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Passive_skill is a useful overview and links to the complete list of notables: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Category:Notable_passive_skills

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Washout posted:

So what's the best skill to use while leveling to 65 before your cast on crit build starts working?
With an Ungil's Harmony and a lucky 5-link that includes Increased Critical Strikes, my CoC build has been working since at least level 50. Probably not at the highest possible speed, but I really like starting a build as soon as possible so I can learn what makes it tick and enjoy the big leaps in effectiveness as the pieces come together.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Maddot_66 posted:

Is there a link to the build somewhere? That looks like it might be fun to play.

Dunno if any of these are that exact build, but here's some Oro's builds:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1372422
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1385541

I couldn't find the thread for it again, but here's a blood magic one that also takes advantage of Templar elemental nodes plus Fireborn to get 113% increased fire damage from the 2-hander sections below duelist:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...g8y3Pv4K2L2DXw=

I made this one after they announced they were buffing mana gain per level and flattening melee skill costs, but haven't had a chance to try it yet:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...yFVBWbcPQd1wKY=

Here's a duelist focused on getting max Frenzy charges from the skill tree. My experience is that you'd need to focus a bunch of gear/skill gem slots on ignite chance to actually ever build up six frenzy charges. But if you have all the right uniques it would go real fast:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...EYyCW87v9VTu0Se

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

NecroMonster posted:

So talismans, and getting enough tier threes to open a portal to wolfdude, just suck. Especially as a solo player.

There is nothing sadder than throwing one of your huge pile of white talismans in with four blue/yellow ones and getting a white back. Someone on the official forums was advocating for no white talismans and I have to agree that they don't add much fun.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Kea posted:

Hit level 63 or so, died to some bad decisions, lost hours of grinded xp.Honestly not sure if i want to continue or make another character. Endgame map grinding really doesnt seem to be my thing.

If it is taking you hours to grind XP to level up in the 60's, you will probably have more fun making another character because the first one is not going to be a successful endgame build. My personal plateau is the 70's; that's where I start dying too much to advance at a meaningful pace.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Vengence-curse on hit-enfeeble-life leech-stun-endurance charge on melee stun?

Are you getting Fortify anywhere? I don't think Vengeance/Riposte ever do great DPS, so Life Leech seems like a waste. Vengeance also doesn't really do much damage per hit, so I don't know how reliably you'd trigger the stun.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

So, uh, more incoming Cyclone nerfs? I can't see them letting the Shadow Trickster do it for free as it currently stands. -24 mana cost from three Elreon rings/amulets is one thing since it takes three slots, etc.

Cyclone + CoC + Faster Attacks + Increased AoE + Poison + Bladefall = 34 mana per use and I'm pretty sure you can get up to something like three attacks per second.

efb: Sort of

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I've been looking at the existing passive tree and trying to figure situations where the Ascendant's Path of X thing would be worth it.

On the 2.1 tree it is 15 nodes from the scion start to any other start. So Path of X basically upgrades 15 skill points from slightly useful (mostly +10 Str/Dex/Int) to a range of slightly useful<->build-defining. It also loses you a potential easy to reach Jewel slot.

So the question is are there builds where a node on the opposite side of the tree from everything else you want/need is mandatory.

Candidate nodes:
  • Resolute Technique
  • Blood Magic
  • Whispers of Doom
  • Eldritch Battery (but if you are on the opposite side of the tree you won't have a ton of mana?)
  • Chaos Inoculation (but if you are on the opposite side of the tree you won't have a ton of energy shield)
  • Alchemist (but if you are focused on flasks you want to take Pathfinder instead of a Witch option)
  • Vaal Pact
  • Acrobatics (maybe for something focused on a projectile spell that wants to be in the witch and ranger areas?)
  • Graceful Assault/Slaughter (is there really enough other stuff that keys off Onslaught to make these worth the sacrifice?)
  • Dirty Techniques/Bloodletting (for some kind of crit or trap or totem Puncture build?)
  • Ancestral Bond (originally left this off but then started thinking about Siege Ballista)

Resolute Technique (see price of good Vagan crit daggers) and Blood Magic seem the likeliest to be build-defining, followed by Vaal Pact.

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 27, 2016

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I feel like you might be forgetting the second clause of Resolute Technique...

Yep...

Not hearing anyone say they've figured out a killer Path of X application.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I wish Onslaught were slightly cooler. I penciled out an Onslaught-focused Lightning Strike Axe Raider, but it's real hard not to look at Frenzy Charges' 4% more damage and think the Frenzy Charge route would be way less work and more effective in the end.

Even changing it from 20% increased attack/move speed and damage to 10% more would be a nice improvement. I'm not sure there are any other ways to get a more modifier for attack/move speed, so that would be something unique without being too overpowered. Maybe then someone would consider Innervate for more than two seconds, too.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Cinara posted:

Oro's Flicker Strike with Slayer - Have never played this before but saw a lot of very promising info from last league. There's other good Ascendancy classes for it, but you want to stay on the left side of the tree.

I think the Chieftain Oro's Flicker build is probably better than the Slayer build.

Chieftain would be something like this (POESkillTree url): https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...vMRY_2xQkbXUEc=

Slayer something like this: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...-0g4XOiAASzwGY=

Jewel socket below Duelist is for a Fireborn Jewel to turn the two-hander stuff nearby into fire.

I think the Chieftain build will be able to maintain full Endurance Charges and that will be the big difference. Chieftain could put Melee Splash on Flicker for clearing trash in the slot Slayer puts Fire Pen and then swap in Fire Pen on bosses.

Flicker Strike-Multistrike-Weapon Elemental Damage-Fire Pen/Melee Splash-Chance to Ignite/Faster Attacks/Endurance Charge on Melee Stun/Stun/Empower for 5 and 6, depending on where you have issues. I'm pretty sure Empower is better than Enlighten if you're rich. Empower gets you Base Attack Damage, More Attack Speed, More Elemental Damage from your key gems. Enlighten gets you Increased Damage, Increased Melee Physical (worthless), Increased Elemental Damage.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I'm not at home or I'd check myself. Does Orb of Storms trigger if you have a totem use a lightning skill inside it? If yes, any idea whether the Orb of Storms of damage counts as coming from you or from the totem? Thinking about Ancestral Bond spark totems.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

ronya posted:

because Chance to Flee has no effect on rare and unique monsters, who are the usual recipients of a single-target skill like Puncture

Another game mechanic made pointless by only working when you need it less.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

That's the PoE spirit!

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

If you want to run the Viper Strike threshold jewel, maybe Faster Attacks.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Coming back to this for the first time since beta and kind of overwhelmed by the sheer number of new skills. I'm not totally sure what I want to do for Prophecy but I've been kind of losing interest in the physical bow guy I've been playing in SC in the meantime, so I'm thinking I'll go with a caster.

I wondered if you could combo Desecrate + Detonate Dead and do decently (maybe transitioning to a different fire spell later on since it seems like Detonate Dead scales poorly)? Or should I just try something simple like a totem build until I get a better handle on the game's mechanics?

The big issue with Desecrate is that it has a cooldown that limits it to one cast per 5 seconds. (It stores 3 uses, so you can do 3 right in a row initially but then you are stuck in slow mode.) Poking around the web just now it sounds like you can do Trap-Multitrap-Desecrate to effectively get more at once. This discussion was before Minefield came out, so I'm guessing you could do that too. (Remote Mine-Minefield-Desecrate) The cooldown is per skill gem apparently?? So I guess in theory you could get a poo poo ton of corpses out at once with two 3-links devoted to trap & mine and a random slot for self cast.

The new Necromancer Ascendancy node that adds two corpses per cast is obviously going to be important to making it viable. You could probably make it work, but it's probably going to be tricky.

The other annoyance is that neither Descerate nor Detonate Dead are affected by spell modifying nodes. The only thing that affects both of them is AoE modifiers. If you go all out on the passive tree you can get 60% increased AoE damage, but 50% increased AoE damage is the most realistic scenario. (Pre-Chaos Conversion nerf you could have scaled both with chaos damage nodes but that's less viable now.)

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

So my sound stopped working after like 5 minutes. The new system may be fast but it also may have some bugs.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Awesome! posted:

saw someone else mention sounds issues and also people saying they are crashing after porting back to town and then not being able to get back on that character and only that one

An ingame message suggested turning off reverb if you have sound issues.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

quote:

Fixed a bug where prophecies related to crafting could be completed by anyone in the town of the person with the Prophecy.
Someone got a free (Act 1 Normal) rare and a free 20% armor quality boost from me because of this one. I still got the achievement for boosting something to 20% quality with a prophecy though.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

Goons, tell me if I should play Lightning Arrow or Caustic Arrow

Do you want to kill things directly or make piles of goo and then dodge stuff while the enemy melts?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I gotta say that Voidheart is a pretty big gently caress you to anyone trying to make a bleed-focused Gladiator (like me). "Hey, sure looks like you spent a lot of effort to get a high bleed chance from the tree+ascendancy so you could use something other than Puncture as your main attack. BTW, you could just get that with one item slot instead."

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Or you could not be a huge baby, and consider it a giant boon for people who run bleeding or poison builds.
It's not a huge boon for people who run bleeding or poison builds, sine they've already invested in ways to get bleed or poison. It's a huge boon for all non-bleed+poison physical damage builds, which now get to add both mechanics to their build with one slot.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

RE: Voidheart

1. Rerolling/respeccing is not a very fun option for me, because I don't have enough time to play each league/am not fast enough to get through the whole game with anything other than the first character I make. "It doesn't take that long to get to 70!" you say. If you've done lots of playthroughs and have spent some time focused on speed, that's true. I get one playthrough per league. I'm definitely getting faster/more efficient each time, but that is only slightly outpacing the extra time required to figure out what's going on as the game gets more complex.

2. I've had enough currency to buy one at current prices in one or two leagues where I happened to get a lucky Exalt drop. So buying one and respeccing is not super likely for me either.

3. I don't have any problem with Voidheart's power level. Crazy powerful things that are hard to get is a huge point of the game. I'm frustrated at the way it overlaps with other aspects of the game in a way that makes them less appealing. It just feels like a missed game design opportunity. Consider a version that gave 50% chance to bleed+poison on hit and 50% increased DoT. (Or 20% increased DoT, or 80%, whatever turns out to be balanced, I don't know.) That version is super exciting for a bleed Gladiator or a poison Assassin. Now with four ascendancy points and one item, they can get 100% chance to do their fun thing each hit. If they really want to go all in on DoT they can try to fit two into their build. Is the item any less exciting for the Poisonquake build? I don't think so; it still lets you contemplate swapping the Poison Support for something else and gives you a good chance of a second DoT.

I just feel like the most interesting and fun uniques are the ones that are actually unique, especially the ones that enable a totally new build or are the final puzzle piece pushing a mediocre or good build on to become a great build. Making great builds into super amazing "I stand in the fire and right click my way to victory on even the hardest content" builds is less exciting for me.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Have any of you ever used Rive, Goredrill, or the Blood Reaper for any length of time? Sure, there are some cool higher level weapons that make that particular weapon cause bleed. So you are set if you want to use axes.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Here, let me rephrase that so you can move on from explaining how I am a bad person:

Voidheart would be more interesting providing a chance to bleed/poison on hit plus some other benefit than it is providing a 100% chance.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Gibbo posted:

Your posts would be more interesting if you did something aside from bitch about an item that's only going to be in a video game for 3 months.
That would have been a pretty nice :iceburn: if:
a.) I hadn't stopped talking about it hours ago because it was pretty clear the most vocal opinion was that I was an idiot loser who should let my baby starve so I could play more PoE.
b.) You weren't the only person to respond the time before last that I said something in here.

Gibbo posted:

Bouquet posted:

Someone got a free (Act 1 Normal) rare and a free 20% armor quality boost from me because of this one. I still got the achievement for boosting something to 20% quality with a prophecy though.
I was on the receiving end of one of these. Was a little confused until now.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Unless the tree changes inspire some other grand idea or somehow make this worse, I'm planning on trying a Doomfletch's Prism+Skirmish Siege Ballista elemental damage build using Raider.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Mo_Steel posted:

Daddy like! Now I'm torn between Ice Shot and Ancestral totems. If I had ranged attack totems use Ice Shot they'd get the benefit of that jewel right, or is it player only?
The totems would get the benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

4 new uniques have been found.
http://imgur.com/a/vVX8q
http://imgur.com/a/iTqFJ
http://imgur.com/a/JxKWV
https://imgur.com/a/S7vSr

Overwhelming Odds - Crimson Jewel
11% increased physical damage
With at least 40 strength, Cleave grants Fortify on hit
" , cleave has 3% increased AoE per nearby enemy

The Wise Oak - Bismuth Flask
+35% to all elemental resistances
10% reduced damage taken of each element for which your uncapped elemental resistance is lowest
Damage penetrates 20% resistance of each element for which your uncapped elemental resistance is highest

The Baron - Close Helmet
+2 level of socketed minion gems
+28 to Strength
Minions have 20% increased maximum life
+1 to maximum number of zombies per 300 Strength
With 1000 or more Strength 2% of damage dealt by your zombies is leeched to you as life

They're trying real hard to make zombie builds a thing, it appears.

Ahn's Heritage - Colossal Tower Shield
69% increased armor
+69 maximum life
-1 to maximum Endurance charges (minus sign is not a typo)
-10% maximum block chance (minus sign is not a typo)
+6% chance to block
+3% to all maximum resistances while you have no Endurance charges
You have Onslaught while at maximum Endurance charges

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 3, 2017

• Locked thread