Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alright whatever. I just bought the first one too, I'll report back later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

In Training posted:

I haven't started cold steel yet. Is the gameplay still good in the older games? I usually play series in order but a cursory glance at some truly bonkers breakdowns on chronology and crap made cold steel seem like a spin off or parallel story?

It can be kind of slow compared to more recent rpgs but it's not bad or anything.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I only played this game for 40 minutes and haven't even finished the tutorial sewer level but, the sheer amount of menus, currencies, synthesis options and spell books they give you in that time frame immediately let me know that this game is going to be loving epic. And it has the DQVII/DQ DS remakes look of sprites and 3D environments with full camera control

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

it's not really a spinoff so much as it is the next arc. its like jojo where theres a part for each new crew of characters. Sky is part 1 and cold steel is part 3(part 2 isnt out in english yet but takes place at the same time as part 3 and will likely end up comin out on steam eventually)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought part 2 is out? Isn't that trails in the sky SC?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Nah, Trails in the Sky 1 2 and 3 are Part 1(3 actually is a spinoff in this case tho), Trails to Zero and Azure are Part 2, Trails of Cold Steel 1 2 and 3 are part 3

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Don't feel too overwhelmed though, Trails in the Sky First and Second Chapters tell a full, complete story.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
the only negative thing I can say about the Trails in the Sky games is that some of the dungeons get tedious, everything else is pretty loving great. FYI FC and SC are each 40+ hour games and the final dungeon of FC will probably make you want to put off playing through SC for a while despite it ending on a huge cliffhanger

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Kinsky posted:

the only negative thing I can say about the Trails in the Sky games is that some of the dungeons get tedious, everything else is pretty loving great. FYI FC and SC are each 40+ hour games and the final dungeon of FC will probably make you want to put off playing through SC for a while despite it ending on a huge cliffhanger

Nothing in SC is as annoying as FC's final dungeon, thankfully.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kinsky posted:

Tails Eyebrow Guy

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

Zaggitz posted:

Nothing in SC is as annoying as FC's final dungeon, thankfully.

and SC makes a joke about it like an hour in. I still don't know how I feel about that

Salacious Spy fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 9, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

Nah, Trails in the Sky 1 2 and 3 are Part 1(3 actually is a spinoff in this case tho), Trails to Zero and Azure are Part 2, Trails of Cold Steel 1 2 and 3 are part 3

Falcom ftw

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaggitz posted:

Were they all released state side?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Only Sky 1 and 2 and Cold Steel 1 are available in the US.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sky 1 came out in 2011, but Second Chapter and Cold Steel both just came out 2 months ago a few weeks apart. I think they're trying to get everything translated but apparently the scripts are insanely huge

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Subsequent games in the series dropped their association with the Dragon Slayer series. The Legend of Heroes III, The Legend of Heroes IV, and The Legend of Heroes V comprised the "Gagharv Trilogy", a set of connected games taking place in the same world.

After the conclusion of the Gagharv Trilogy, a new story began with a new trilogy, the Trails in the Sky subseries. The three titles in it, First Chapter, Second Chapter and Third Chapter collectively made up the sixth entry in the series.

Falcom switched to a duology for the seventh entry, consisting of The Legend of Heroes VII: Zero no Kiseki in 2010, and The Legend of Heroes VII: Ao no Kiseki in 2011. After that, the company moved on to the Trails of Cold Steel sub-series, releasing the first title in 2013,[1] a sequel in 2014, and announced a third entry currently under development.[2]

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

does the enemy variety get better as you get into the game more? i'm just about to go to leave the first town area after the tutorial and the opening missions for the guild and now i have to go looking for the dad but eveywhere i've been there have been only 1 or 2 types of monsters and its kind of a drag

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I almost died to one of the viney things. I need to be more careful

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

does the enemy variety get better as you get into the game more? i'm just about to go to leave the first town area after the tutorial and the opening missions for the guild and now i have to go looking for the dad but eveywhere i've been there have been only 1 or 2 types of monsters and its kind of a drag

There are tons of different enemies that require different strategies. You eventually get tons of different Crafts with different auxiliary effects and a lot of the battle strategy is figuring out how to use them to nullify obnoxious enemies.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Regy Rusty posted:

There are tons of different enemies that require different strategies. You eventually get tons of different Crafts with different auxiliary effects and a lot of the battle strategy is figuring out how to use them to nullify obnoxious enemies.

good. the mines only had 1 type of bad guy and no boss and that had me worried

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The first town is incredibly cozy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also first signs are pointing a JRPG dad on the same power level as the DQV dad.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

In Training posted:

Also first signs are pointing a JRPG dad on the same power level as the DQV dad.

Cassius makes Pankraz look like a weenie.

Also I should mention that the Gagharv Trilogy takes place in its own world seperate from the trails/kiseki games. Also those games are out in enflish on psp but have super horrendous localization thx to Bamco

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What about legend of heroes games from the early 90s. Has anyone played those

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hang on let me get the chart.

I played Xanadu Next and that's a pretty ballin medieval metroid-like with some combat mechanics that eventually made it into ys7/celceta.

It's coming to steam courteousy of xseed this year.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i want more legacy of the wizards

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

In Training posted:

The first town is incredibly cozy.

In Training posted:

cozy towns and powerful jrpg dads is my JAM

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

good. the mines only had 1 type of bad guy and no boss and that had me worried

the mines are kind of weird and I don't think there's really anything else in the game like them so don't worry about that

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Zaggitz posted:

Hang on let me get the chart.

I played Xanadu Next and that's a pretty ballin medieval metroid-like with some combat mechanics that eventually made it into ys7/celceta.

It's coming to steam courteousy of xseed this year.

Hold on...did you draw all of this yourself, or did you pull this from a page on the internet? If the latter, from where?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I saw that same image on the PlayStation Blog

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

In Training posted:

I saw that same image on the PlayStation Blog

Ah. Thank you for the info.

One of the things I didn't know is that Xanadu Next's N-Gage version got an NA release to begin with. Who did the translation?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i havent read the thread but, i played the first one and it has maybe the slowest start of any game i've ever played in my life (this coming from me, the very patient about games man) but i kept playing it because i was trapped on a plane with it and i liked it by the end. hope this helps

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Slur posted:

Hold on...did you draw all of this yourself, or did you pull this from a page on the internet? If the latter, from where?

Tom at XSeed drew that, if I recall correctly.

absolutely anything posted:

i havent read the thread but, i played the first one and it has maybe the slowest start of any game i've ever played in my life (this coming from me, the very patient about games man) but i kept playing it because i was trapped on a plane with it and i liked it by the end. hope this helps

Did you play the sequel it's even better.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Doctor Goat posted:

i want more legacy of the wizards

that game is really cool

i love how the map looks when its stitched together

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

the face on the left is too spooky.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

I really like when games are mundane. Like my recent time with Yakuza has a lot of quests where you hang out with dads and drink. And this game has an hour long introduction to the family and you think "oh for sure the dad is going to die or some poo poo right here" because dramatic music starts playing but you have to drop him off at the airport and now I've been collecting flowers for 3 more hours.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

In Training posted:

I really like when games are mundane. Like my recent time with Yakuza has a lot of quests where you hang out with dads and drink. And this game has an hour long introduction to the family and you think "oh for sure the dad is going to die or some poo poo right here" because dramatic music starts playing but you have to drop him off at the airport and now I've been collecting flowers for 3 more hours.

This game is gonna be right up your alley then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

This game is gonna be right up your alley then.

I'm digging it. I missed my train so I had to wait an extra 2 hours but i didn't even mind because it passed by real quick while playing this

• Locked thread