Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Someone once said "If you make your opponent out as nothing, and then you beat him, what have you achieved? Nothing."

Can't wait for Reigns to lose to Sheamus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."

Doo-Wop Duodenum posted:

do you think sheamus peels his potatoes

you have to pronounce it puh-TAY-tuhhhs or he won't bother

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Someone once said "If you make your opponent out as nothing, and then you beat him, what have you achieved? Nothing."

Suddenly Bray brushing off all his losses as nothing makes sense.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Two horrible live promos from Roman Reigns and I bet he'll still keep getting pushed.

"Four ropes," and Cesaro goes nowhere...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CobiWann posted:

Two horrible live promos from Roman Reigns and I bet he'll still keep getting pushed.

"Four ropes," and Cesaro goes nowhere...

3 horrible live promos from Reigns. Sufferin succotash, magic beans, and tater tots

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
4. "This isn't boring! This is REAL LIFE!"

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I deglare

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Blast Fantasto posted:

4. "This isn't boring! This is REAL LIFE!"

also, the promo after the rumble where both reigns and the rock looked flustered and bad

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

Weird post, so please bear with me.

I’ve been watching a lot of old school 1970’s era Doctor Who lately. Right now I’m going through the stories that are considered to be the show’s “Golden Age” in the mid 70’s with Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor. The producer/showrunner at the time was a man named Philip Hinchcliffe, who helped put together a run of stories that still pop up on “Best Of” lists even today. The behind-the-scenes features on the DVD’s are fascinating to me as they talk about how the episodes came together, how the script was written, how the crew did the sets, and so on. Even though the special effects were dodgy and there was a good number of “man in a rubber suit” aliens, a lot of these stories still pop up on “Best Of” lists even today. What really struck me was this line from Hinchcliffe.

THIS is where I think the WWE is screwing up right now. The writers (and Vince, and maybe HHH) are so concerned with telling a good WWE story that they’re failing to tell a good story period. To them, the WWE is the brand, and right now Roman Reigns is the face (or face-in-waiting). So everything that the WWE is focused on producing right now is done with the sole goal of getting Reigns over and telling HIS story, aka the WWE’s story. It’s “Roman Reigns and Company.” It’s Dean Ambrose, “Roman Reigns’ buddy.” It’s the Usos, “Roman Reigns’ cousins.” It’s “how do we make Reigns look strong.” It’s not “how to we tell a good Roman Reigns story” because those stories would involve Reigns looking weak, or Reigns looking like he can’t pull it off. When Reigns can’t pull it off, it’s because of outside forces like Sheamus. And even when Sheamus is actually looking pretty good and surrounds himself with a group of like-minded villains…the story isn’t about “can Reigns overcome the villains to get to Sheamus?” It’s “can Reigns beat Sheamus?” Except he has, per last night’s opening and closing segments on RAW.

The WWE is so concerned with telling one story that they’re neglecting the others. They have a good staff of wrestlers on hand. You have amazing talents like Adrian Neville and Kevin Owens. The Miz might not be the best in-ring performer but he can douchebag it up like no one’s business. Name me a better smack talker in the WWE than Wade Barrett. Name me someone who is more scary and intimidating than Luke Harper. The crowd WANTS Antonio Cesaro to swing people, they want Sasha Banks to walk all over the Divas division. The only thing the WWE is doing correctly right now is the New Day and that’s because they’re just letting them run with the ball and do whatever they want. And they have a good crew. The production crew who put together the videos and montages are some of the best in the business, and if you toned down Kevin Dunn’s camera direction there are some amazing shots and moments that get put on screen.

But that’s not the story the WWE wants to tell. They want to talk about Roman Reigns. And if someone else looks to be getting over, they’re either 50/50’d into parity or take the pinfall loss in multi-man matches so, hey, Roman still looks good. Hell, Roman Reigns is a great rear end-kicker. Just let him punch people, look intimidating, and smug it up a bit for the camera. We don’t need “tater tots” or “magic beans.”

The GDT last night talked about “what the hell do we watch this show?” For me, it’s out of habit and it’s background noise while I do something else. But with all the pieces the WWE has, there HAS to be something good about to happen. The WWE has to luck into something good soon and I’m just dumb enough to hope that they’ll actually do something with it instead of fighting the tide the entire time. It’s statistically harder to be this bad for this long than to NOT accidentally do something amazing.

Wow that's interesting cuz I've been eating a lot of soft shelled tortillas and meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow hitler meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow aids meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."

Chris James 2 posted:

3 horrible live promos from Reigns. Sufferin succotash, magic beans, and tater tots

While all three were complete garbo, it was horrifying how enthusiastic the crowd got into tater tots last night.

Chanting it I mean, not eating them.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

roman looked like such a goober repeating the one line he's gotten over in the past year 3 times

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

CobiWann posted:

I’ve been watching a lot of old school 1970’s era Doctor Who lately. Right now I’m going through the stories that are considered to be the show’s “Golden Age” in the mid 70’s with Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor. The producer/showrunner at the time was a man named Philip Hinchcliffe, who helped put together a run of stories that still pop up on “Best Of” lists even today. The behind-the-scenes features on the DVD’s are fascinating to me as they talk about how the episodes came together, how the script was written, how the crew did the sets, and so on. Even though the special effects were dodgy and there was a good number of “man in a rubber suit” aliens, a lot of these stories still pop up on “Best Of” lists even today. What really struck me was this line from Hinchcliffe.

THIS is where I think the WWE is screwing up right now. The writers (and Vince, and maybe HHH) are so concerned with telling a good WWE story that they’re failing to tell a good story period. To them, the WWE is the brand, and right now Roman Reigns is the face (or face-in-waiting). So everything that the WWE is focused on producing right now is done with the sole goal of getting Reigns over and telling HIS story, aka the WWE’s story. It’s “Roman Reigns and Company.” It’s Dean Ambrose, “Roman Reigns’ buddy.” It’s the Usos, “Roman Reigns’ cousins.” It’s “how do we make Reigns look strong.” It’s not “how to we tell a good Roman Reigns story” because those stories would involve Reigns looking weak, or Reigns looking like he can’t pull it off. When Reigns can’t pull it off, it’s because of outside forces like Sheamus. And even when Sheamus is actually looking pretty good and surrounds himself with a group of like-minded villains…the story isn’t about “can Reigns overcome the villains to get to Sheamus?” It’s “can Reigns beat Sheamus?” Except he has, per last night’s opening and closing segments on RAW.

The WWE is so concerned with telling one story that they’re neglecting the others. They have a good staff of wrestlers on hand. You have amazing talents like Adrian Neville and Kevin Owens. The Miz might not be the best in-ring performer but he can douchebag it up like no one’s business. Name me a better smack talker in the WWE than Wade Barrett. Name me someone who is more scary and intimidating than Luke Harper. The crowd WANTS Antonio Cesaro to swing people, they want Sasha Banks to walk all over the Divas division. The only thing the WWE is doing correctly right now is the New Day and that’s because they’re just letting them run with the ball and do whatever they want. And they have a good crew. The production crew who put together the videos and montages are some of the best in the business, and if you toned down Kevin Dunn’s camera direction there are some amazing shots and moments that get put on screen.

But that’s not the story the WWE wants to tell. They want to talk about Roman Reigns. And if someone else looks to be getting over, they’re either 50/50’d into parity or take the pinfall loss in multi-man matches so, hey, Roman still looks good. Hell, Roman Reigns is a great rear end-kicker. Just let him punch people, look intimidating, and smug it up a bit for the camera. We don’t need “tater tots” or “magic beans.”

The GDT last night talked about “what the hell do we watch this show?” For me, it’s out of habit and it’s background noise while I do something else. But with all the pieces the WWE has, there HAS to be something good about to happen. The WWE has to luck into something good soon and I’m just dumb enough to hope that they’ll actually do something with it instead of fighting the tide the entire time. It’s statistically harder to be this bad for this long than to NOT accidentally do something amazing.

Two good ways to make sure I don't read your post is to make it like 8 paragraphs long, and to open with a Dr Who reference.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Would you count the tug of war with Lesnar as a promo? I mean Heyman talked in it.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

UpfrontSalmon posted:

While all three were complete garbo, it was horrifying how enthusiastic the crowd got into tater tots last night.

Chanting it I mean, not eating them.

Maybe they were chanting at the concessions stands because they wanted more tater tots but the stand was all like "look buddy we're all out" and the crowd wasn't having any of that poo poo.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CobiWann posted:

I just wanted to say I read all of this, like your post and agree completely :unsmith:

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chris James 2 posted:

I just wanted to say I read all of this, like your post and agree completely :unsmith:

lmao

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

roman reigns problem is that he isn't believable. Nothing he says sounds like something he would or should say. He comes off like a guy playing a role and not a genuine person. Say what you will about John Cena but if they gave him that material last night I would believe that John Cena thinks Sheamus has tiny shriveled balls. Roman needs to either find his voice as a performer or protect himself and tear up the awful scripts they give him

Or die

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I think it's important to stress how very very very over Roman is at the live house

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Efexeye posted:

I think it's important to stress how very very very over Roman is at the live house

Kids will cheer for anyone they're told is a good guy. I went to a house show and there were Sin Cara chants for gently caress's sake

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

oatgan posted:

roman reigns problem is that he isn't believable. Nothing he says sounds like something he would or should say. He comes off like a guy playing a role and not a genuine person. Say what you will about John Cena but if they gave him that material last night I would believe that John Cena thinks Sheamus has tiny shriveled balls. Roman needs to either find his voice as a performer or protect himself and tear up the awful scripts they give him

Or die

Agree with this, minus the die part. Say what you want about Cena and his HUSTLE. LOYALITY. RESPECT bit but he always comes across as if he means it, plus can get his promos/points across in a way that doesn't feel like someone reading through a shopping list trying to remember if they've gotten everything ie Roman.

I love this, poor Neville.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

oatgan posted:

Or die

He works fine as a reticent badass. Worked for him in the SHIELD. All his best segments have someone else talking while he looks tough. That's not even backwards praise, people like those guys.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

Kids will cheer for anyone they're told is a good guy. I went to a house show and there were Sin Cara chants for gently caress's sake

my point is that vince, with his history in the territory days and insistence on the extremely grueling house show schedule to maintain the wwe's national monopoly, would be more likely to book to the house than to the weekly 3 hour commercial for the network

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Wow that's interesting cuz I've been eating a lot of soft shelled tortillas and meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow weed meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow boner meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Maybe this has already been addressed but doesn't Sheamus and Reigns basically having a 5 minute TLC math at the end of RAW take away from the fact that they're doing the same thing on Sunday?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I see hitler aids and boner, what do I win?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Raw sucks and so does Dr Who

That's my hot scoop

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Jail should've been Wellness violations.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that Daniel Bryan is never coming back.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I see hitler aids and boner, what do I win?

Hitler's AIDS boner.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ty1990 posted:

Maybe this has already been addressed but doesn't Sheamus and Reigns basically having a 5 minute TLC math at the end of RAW take away from the fact that they're doing the same thing on Sunday?

I think it's supposed to make you want to see them do it for like 20 minutes on the PPV

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

I think it's supposed to make you want to see them do it for like 20 minutes on the PPV

I can't wait to watch Roman tease like 6 powerbombs that he can't do, then

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

monopoly is a bad game noone should play and yet millions do. A WWE crossover makes sense

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

The POWER of Roman Reigns.

Reigns takes time to tend to his garden.

The FLOWER of Roman Reigns.

Reigns gets ready before squashing Sheamus.

The SHOWER of Roman Reigns.

WWE finally releases ice cream bars, what flavour?

The SOUR of Roman Reigns.

Blasmeister posted:

monopoly is a bad game noone should play and yet millions do. A WWE crossover makes sense

Keep trying to get rid of the Cena space.

But it won't sell.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Wow that's interesting cuz I've been eating a lot of soft shelled tortillas and meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow hitler meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow aids meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

My favorite thing about that lovely "one-armed" powerbomb he's started doing is that there are several guys on the roster who could probably do it with a tenth of the visible effort; with at least three in Cesaro, Cena, and Brock that definitely can.

But

The POWER of Roman Reigns.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Roman Reigns is so loving awful that last segment was cringe worthy.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Oh Snapple! posted:

My favorite thing about that lovely "one-armed" powerbomb he's started doing is that there are several guys on the roster who could probably do it with a tenth of the visible effort; with at least three in Cesaro, Cena, and Brock that definitely can.

But

My favorite part was a few weeks ago where he did it and the commentary went apeshit for it as usual, and then Sin Cara did the exact same move later that night to silence from the desk.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh Snapple! posted:

I didn't say it worked :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Abroham Lincoln posted:

My favorite part was a few weeks ago where he did it and the commentary went apeshit for it as usual, and then Sin Cara did the exact same move later that night to silence from the desk.

And Sin Cara's still employed? Wow . . .

• Locked thread