Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Weird post, so please bear with me.

I’ve been watching a lot of old school 1970’s era Doctor Who lately. Right now I’m going through the stories that are considered to be the show’s “Golden Age” in the mid 70’s with Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor. The producer/showrunner at the time was a man named Philip Hinchcliffe, who helped put together a run of stories that still pop up on “Best Of” lists even today. The behind-the-scenes features on the DVD’s are fascinating to me as they talk about how the episodes came together, how the script was written, how the crew did the sets, and so on. Even though the special effects were dodgy and there was a good number of “man in a rubber suit” aliens, a lot of these stories still pop up on “Best Of” lists even today. What really struck me was this line from Hinchcliffe.

quote:

I wasn’t interested in telling good Doctor Who stories. I was interested in telling good STORIES. You assemble a good crew, a good staff, good actors, and a good script, and everything else had a tendency to fall into place.

THIS is where I think the WWE is screwing up right now. The writers (and Vince, and maybe HHH) are so concerned with telling a good WWE story that they’re failing to tell a good story period. To them, the WWE is the brand, and right now Roman Reigns is the face (or face-in-waiting). So everything that the WWE is focused on producing right now is done with the sole goal of getting Reigns over and telling HIS story, aka the WWE’s story. It’s “Roman Reigns and Company.” It’s Dean Ambrose, “Roman Reigns’ buddy.” It’s the Usos, “Roman Reigns’ cousins.” It’s “how do we make Reigns look strong.” It’s not “how to we tell a good Roman Reigns story” because those stories would involve Reigns looking weak, or Reigns looking like he can’t pull it off. When Reigns can’t pull it off, it’s because of outside forces like Sheamus. And even when Sheamus is actually looking pretty good and surrounds himself with a group of like-minded villains…the story isn’t about “can Reigns overcome the villains to get to Sheamus?” It’s “can Reigns beat Sheamus?” Except he has, per last night’s opening and closing segments on RAW.

The WWE is so concerned with telling one story that they’re neglecting the others. They have a good staff of wrestlers on hand. You have amazing talents like Adrian Neville and Kevin Owens. The Miz might not be the best in-ring performer but he can douchebag it up like no one’s business. Name me a better smack talker in the WWE than Wade Barrett. Name me someone who is more scary and intimidating than Luke Harper. The crowd WANTS Antonio Cesaro to swing people, they want Sasha Banks to walk all over the Divas division. The only thing the WWE is doing correctly right now is the New Day and that’s because they’re just letting them run with the ball and do whatever they want. And they have a good crew. The production crew who put together the videos and montages are some of the best in the business, and if you toned down Kevin Dunn’s camera direction there are some amazing shots and moments that get put on screen.

But that’s not the story the WWE wants to tell. They want to talk about Roman Reigns. And if someone else looks to be getting over, they’re either 50/50’d into parity or take the pinfall loss in multi-man matches so, hey, Roman still looks good. Hell, Roman Reigns is a great rear end-kicker. Just let him punch people, look intimidating, and smug it up a bit for the camera. We don’t need “tater tots” or “magic beans.”

The GDT last night talked about “what the hell do we watch this show?” For me, it’s out of habit and it’s background noise while I do something else. But with all the pieces the WWE has, there HAS to be something good about to happen. The WWE has to luck into something good soon and I’m just dumb enough to hope that they’ll actually do something with it instead of fighting the tide the entire time. It’s statistically harder to be this bad for this long than to NOT accidentally do something amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Two horrible live promos from Roman Reigns and I bet he'll still keep getting pushed.

"Four ropes," and Cesaro goes nowhere...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Wow that's interesting cuz I've been eating a lot of soft shelled tortillas and meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow hitler meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow aids meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow

Fair points one and all, but how does keep Roman strong?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Howling Man posted:

describe raw from last night with a bad christmas song so i know what i missed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVSxBeNQwAU

• Locked thread