Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Locked thread
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

It's a remarkably boring day today. School just ended for the day for those that go there, nothing interesting has happened all day (apart from half the teachers being sick today for some reason), apparently even the Hexenkinder feel like sleeping in. The sun just hangs in the sky, lazily, as you ponder what to do this afternoon, as not even Azra has contacted you... yet. It almost feels too boring. The calm before the storm?

... assuming the storm isn't also feeling lazy, of course.




Ilya

Like clockwork, your routine after finishing school is going home, making and/or grabbing lunch for your father and continuing on to deliver it to him at work. You just arrived at home.

Is the food already made, or do you have to prepare it today? What usually happens every day, but didn't happen today?


Gretchen

By dumb luck, you noticed that the local police has something of Adelheid's. But they completely refuse to say anything about where or when they found it.

What is it that is undoubtedly her's? What are you going to do about the wall of silence meeting you?


Natali

Rumors has it that the Soviets did it again. They incarcerated almost everyone that was at yesterdays concert. You know, the one that you've been to as well. Somebody must have snitched, because they weren't anywhere to be seen back then.

Who do you think is responsible for this? Do you think they'll come after you too?


Paige

Almost exactly five minutes after you arrive at Friedrich's smithy, Zagadka shows up, even before Friedrich returned from his lunch break. Without a word he hands you a piece of paper with precise instructions for some metal work and a surprisingly large amount of money. Before you can look up again, he's gone again, as if he vanished.

What is it that he wants you to make? And why, despite everything, are you incredibly wary of actually making it? Will do or won't you?


Clara

You just barely avoided having to talk to Joanna at the old library. That was close. She almost saw you, there.

Why don't you want to talk to her right now? How did you get into the library of all places? What unsettles you about this situation, which seems mundane enough? What arguably just as unwanted situation did you maneuver yourself into trying to avoid Joanna?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at Dec 8, 2015 around 21:15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Gretchen Keller

"I'm the one who reported her disappearance, I should be able to see it!"

The police found Heidi's notebook. She always took notes of everything she did, and I'm sure that if I could just read it, I'd know where she is. But the police say they're investigating it right now and won't let me see it. Stupid police, I'm magic! I'll probably be able to find her quicker! As the man at the desk returns to his paperwork, I sigh and turn to the door. Heidi's been missing for a week, and I'm finding it hard to sleep at night. Not even booze can settle the pit in my stomach. My mind reels with what might have happened to her, and it's compounded by my newfound knowledge of the magical.

Scheiße. Maybe I should just go down to the Dog and try to drown my sorrows again. Drinking isn't fun anymore without Heidi around, though...

Klingon w Bowl Cut
Apr 1, 2009

Q'pla!


Clara Regenbogen

In retrospect, it might have been a tad reckless to come into the library only an hour or two before school let out, but something had been bothering me about it all day. It felt like an inch, and every time I looked away and back again, the itch got more intense. I wandered the stacks for a long time, too long, and now I'm cursing myself for not figuring it out sooner. Whenever I look away, the words on the spines of the books are apparently rearranging themselves into some kind of message. A blink later, the titles are back to normal, so either something magical is going on, or not sleeping last night is starting to get to me. I haven't been able to piece the message together yet, but there are definitely not this many books with the words “fear” and “Clara” in their titles.

Of course, that's when Joanna, that busybody, decides to come and poke around. She brought her school books, so hopefully she's just here to study, rather than look for me. Either way, it's best if she doesn't see me. It's obvious I'm eventually going to have to tell her to stay away from me; the girl is as determined as I am. But with something weird going on, and more importantly, with huge bags under my eyes, messy hair, and no shower for a day or two, now is really not the time.

Thankfully, I manage to avoid Joanna long enough for her to leave. It's almost fun, dashing from bookcase to bookcase, diving under desks, running down hallways a split-second before she turns the corner. It's like we're competing again. And, as usual, I win. I breathe a sigh of relief, and then almost run into Ms. Müller as I turn around. No doubt she is ready to lay into me for missing class for a week. Oh dear.

"I can explain," I blurt out instinctively. And smoothly.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.



Ilya Yurievna Leskova

I always prepare it fresh! Which is overstating how much work I do, perhaps - it's only a few sandwiches - one ham, one cheese, and a sliced apple, but it's a nice little chore for me to do when I get home, I think as I pull out keys to get inside. It makes me feel helpful, like I really make a difference in my father's work, even if it's just a small, humble one.

Which is why when I get to the kitchen and see the already prepared and packaged lunch on the counter I just stare. I didn't do it last night, I never do, I wouldn't have forgotten about that, and I didn't have time to do it this morning before I went to school, so it wasn't me. Father wouldn't have forgotten it if he made it himself, or forgotten to have told me, so it wasn't him. So who was it?

While I'm gripped by the mystery of the prepared lunch, I start making one of my own, just... just in case! I can't give my father a strange lunch, it might be poisoned or... just not taste good, or something! Whatever the case, I know mine will be better.

This is only one of the strange things that has happened today, honestly. Today is just a strange day - Sofie missed school. She never misses school, and though a part of me says I'm just overthinking things, and she's probably just sick, I feel compelled to go check on her, just in case. So once I've made a (superior) lunch for my father, I bag it, place it in my rucksack, and head for Sofie's house - it's on the way to my dad's workplace, so I'll be able to kill two birds with a single stone!

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!



Paige DeSantis

"This is a..."

And before she could even respond, he was gone. What was she supposed to do about this?

On first examination, the object seemed reasonable enough. A palm-sized gold-plated medal in the shape of the sun, with several metallic "rays" coming off of it. However, there were several design specifications that made no sense. Firstly, the actual "sun" itself was to be hollow. This would not be odd, were it a type of locket, would make sense. But the thing is, it wasn't. It wasn't a medal, because it in fact held the prongs. Each prong of "sunlight" was to be removable. with the inside ends of each carefully molded and shaped to hold very specific curves and ridges along one or both sides. They look suspiciously like the cuts you would have on the blade of a key, with the spike itself as the bow. But they're all kinds of keys: traditional lever keys, symmetrical vehicle keys, a skeleton type design with the filed-off edges, a tubular one, even a singular four-sided one that would only be removable once all the others have been removed via separating the prong from the blade.

...She was conflicted. She wanted to wait and tell her master about this, but the paper also came with distinct instructions not to. No matter how strange the stipulations on a request form, she feels bound to honor them to maintain the supplier-client relationship. If someone asked her to deliver the object by walking on her hands to their home, she would do just that. And so, despite her better judgement, especially after what happened the last time such a weird object has been requested, she began to work on the object...

...Except she couldn't. This object was impossibly complex, needed techniques that were inhumanly precise. And to create it without drawing attention...This was not doable. Not without magical aid...She'll do it. Just...quickly. She holds up her hand, and, in a series of splashes of the same metallic substance that makes up her weaponry, she is coated with the stuff, which quickly forms the layers of the costume, alterations to appearance, and everything except her glasses, which she pulls out and places upon herself as the rest of her form gains color again.

Within seconds the solution comes to her. She could make this in her sleep. It's not even large enough to be a challenge. She feels a distinct sense of disappointment as she holds out her hand and rips a chunk of the mysterious metal out. She then begins, with great agility, rapidly shifting about the pieces of the still-hardening metal to create the shape and functionality desired of the object.

Create an impossible object! (Sorcery, Support): 2d6+4 8
Boost the previous roll! (1 Support overcharge): 1d6+8 10

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at Dec 8, 2015 around 21:38

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009




Natali Haas

It's not every day you narrowly escape imprisonment from your occupiers. Then again, it's also not every day that nobody even knew where you were to begin with.

Of course, the real question here is who 'knew' where anybody was that night at all. These things are supposed to be underground, secret. In other words, the only people who could've ratted out the performers and the rest of the small group of attendees would have to be somebody who knew it was going to happen in advance. Someone who knew...? But who there that night would've had a reason to...?

Natali's train of thought is interrupted. "Natali, you've really got to work on your 'dramatic, brooding revolutionary' pose." A quiet, whispery voice from behind her.

"Ah, scheisse Vivian, 'tis not a pose at all! Just how I always am." She turns to her younger friend, removing herself from one of the many pillars by the school gate, stretching her palms together and upward, towards the clear, blue sky.

"I wonder about that..." Vivan replies, moving a delicate hand up to her chin.

"It was a joke, Dumpfbacke. You know how we 'revolutionaries' are." She counters, with a flick out of her tongue."On your way home?"

"Yes, finally. Frau Oberhausen just went on and on..." The hand that was on her chin goes to her forehead; Natali considered how much older she looked when she rubbed it the way she did.

"Well, Godspeed then!" Vivian moves past her as they exchange a wave.

"Try not to get into too much trouble, please?" She says, worried.

"No promises, Fräulein!" Vivan sighs, defeated, and walks away.

--

So, we've got a mole on our hands, Natali thinks after seeing Vivan off. Somebody who knew about the concert, but was an enemy of revolution, so to speak. In other words, a Soviet sympathizer. The problem was that it could be any one person or multiple persons who was at that concert, and there were a lot of people there, considering it took place in a warehouse somewhere relatively remote. Not to mention that, without records of who was there that night and now who find themselves on the wrong side of the law, Natali can't rule out anyone in particular, other than herself. Natali heads toward her own home, an idea in mind. Who knows if it'll work, but there's only one way to find out.

--

In a now abandoned warehouse, a fairly common sight nowadays, Natali unpacks her mom's guitar. The place looks a lot bigger, and a lot emptier, without the sound of drums, guitar, and singing bouncing off the walls, without throngs (if you could call them that) of people, mostly teenagers, pressed up against each other. Luckily, empty as the place now was, the 'stage' was still there. Nothing more than a raised platform with some room for amps and speakers, but for Natali's purposes, it's perfect.

She strides up onto it, guitar cradled in her arms, held with her hands, just like she did the night before. She spends a few minutes tuning, mostly out of habit, tugging at her hat in between chords. There's no way this would work, right? It's so stupid. Whatever. By now, she's ready to rock and roll. She concentrates on her body as she starts strumming, humming a few bars of nothing in particular. She remembers the night before. Her adrenaline was rushing, her mind seemingly everywhere and nowhere at once. She looks out to the 'crowd.' Now, hocus pocus or whatever...and...they appear. Figures, somehow. Almost like the music called them back to listen to it again. They're ethereal in appearance, standing, sitting, laying down, wherever they were that night during the concert. They pulse and throb in time to the beat she sets.

So now Natali needs to focus on these figures, infuse them with the emotions they felt hearing the music, figure out their state of mind. Most importantly, she needs faces, names. So she keeps playing, singing, and concentrates, not noticing her transformation as she did so. Who didn't feel so patriotic, so inspired? Who got up and left early? Who's that, over there, leaning on the farthest wall from the stage, by the entrance?

Focus, Natali, focus. The mole is here somewhere; you just have to find them...



Iniital roll was a 15, with one explosion/overcharge...

which adds 2 to the roll, for a total of 17.

Also took a Support overcharge for that

Basically, Natali's playing Magical Whack'a'Mole/Spot the Mole

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at Dec 8, 2015 around 22:54

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Gretchen

Well, you're at the Dog, but... they say they're closed for today. So much for that plan. The next one, too. And the next one. Is there something important you missed? Like, some weird holiday where you still have to go to school? No way, right?


Clara

"Well, I am listening. What's wrong? Family problems? There are lots of teenagers that run away at your age, you know. It's pretty normal. But, now that I found you I kind of have to return you to your legal guardians. So, if you'd come with me..."


Ilya

With your rucksack in tow, you make your way to your fathers place. You get a few odd looks, but russian children always do. You open the rucksack to find... the lunch that was already at your home. The one you made yourself seems to have vanished. Good thing you checked before going in, huh?


Paige

With the finished object lying in your hand, you are somewhat enchanted by what you just created - you almost forgot to transform back before your master returns.

"Oh, it's you. I was wondering what that was. Light's must be on the fritz again... Oh, uhm, terribly sorry, I know you just got here, but we got some important deliveries. Can you bring these bags to the customers? The addresses are on that little slip of paper on them.


Natali

Bingo! You found the one. His emotions hint at disdain and mild amusement. That's got to be guy, right? Surely, he was already looking forward to getting praised from his superiors for helping lock all these innocent people up.

Conveniently, according to the phantom image, it was the largest, most muscular guy at the concert. Come to think of it, he almost looks like an ex-soldier. You don't know how name but his stature is so unique you'd see him in any crowd. Now it's only a matter of finding him.

Klingon w Bowl Cut
Apr 1, 2009

Q'pla!

Clara

Alright, Clara. Time to be the best at lying.

"Run away?" I ask incredulously as I suddenly remember to lean on my crutches a lot more. "Oh, no no. I'm here working on a project for Ms. Acker's class. I have missed a few days of class too, to be completely honest, but things have been so hard at home. Thank you for the kind offer, but I'll go back myself." I finish with a brave and proud smile.

Charm roll, I assume?
Talking my way out of this: 2d6+4 13

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Paige
(1 Heart Overcharge)

"Yes, of course, master."

She nods and pockets her newly-made item. That was a little too close. Not to mention she needs to, at some point today, test this object to see if it actually does what she thinks it does. But that would have to wait, she's got work to do now, and the customers are always right. She looks over each tag and starts mapping out an efficient delivery route between each location. Names of customers new and familiar, what they're getting if not wrapped up or boxed, whether or not they said they would be there to accept delivery, each of these things factors into her route. It actually takes her several minutes to realize she started walking out the door and out onto the streets with the bags in tow since she was so busy talking to herself about the route.

Now, where does her mental map take her first?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.


Ilyana Yurievna Leskova

I'm used to the looks by now, good at tuning them out, but this... something magical is taking place, that's for certain, and I can't put that off, not when my father could be at risk. Over some stupid sandwiches, of all things!

Taking a detour down an alley, I struggle a little with the ridiculousness of what I'm about to do - call upon an Arkangel for this, of all things? But my father's safety is worth the embarassment. I whisper "Azra? Are you there? I need you..." and wait, hoping she shows up.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Ilya

You've been waiting for five minutes now, even repeating your request, but Azra fails to materialize.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.


Ilyana Yurievna Leskova

Of course it was too much to hope for. Azra's busy, no doubt with far more serious matters than this absurd problem. Well, there's nothing for it. I can't give this to my father, not without being sure it's safe. He'll get lunch elsewhere, but whatever this is, it stays with me... though I have no idea if it actually will, or just teleport away. What a conundrum! The only way to fix it is... to eat it myself. It can't teleport if it doesn't exist, can it?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Ilya

The sandwich tastes pretty good.

And now that it's gone, your own sandwich is back! What the hell?


Paige

First stop: Family Holler. Ringing the bell, nobody responds. You can hear noises from inside, though.


Clara

"... fine. If you aren't back by tomorrow, though, I will totally fail you on that test. And inform your parents of this."

She moves away, Joanna is still busy inside, you're home free! Well, figuratively speaking.

What urgent mundane business do you have to attend to now? Why did you get sidetracked into going into the library in the first place?

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009


Natali
(1 Overcharge, Magic/Support)

So...she thinks, standing breathless on the 'stage.' It worked. I guess. What a ridiculous, wonderful thing this all is. A month ago, if someone had told Natali she'd be trying to solve a mystery, track somebody down using magic powers she got from a little...Jackalope? Wolpertinger? Whatever that thing was, she'd have not only called you crazy, but probably asked you what you were on.

Letting her euphoria, and her transformation (when did that happen?) die off for a bit, she sits down, legs swinging off the platform. So, our 'mole,' or at least, our best suspect, is a giant, a big guy. Frankly, a scary kind of person to face head-on, at least if you didn't have magic by your side. Without a name or any other information to go on, Natali finds herself at a bit of a loss. It was so dark that night, there's no way she'd be able to picture him. She'd need to track down one of the following:

-Someone who was there at the concert who knew, or at least saw the suspect
-The suspect himself; probably not an option, as it's not like she'd run into him on the street
-Someone with either knowledge or documentation of every single person there; probably impossible, as secrecy was the name of the game here.
-Someone unrelated to the concert who still knew about the suspect and their habits, where they went and why; a fellow soldier? A police officer?

A few people come to mind as she thinks of who to go to for help:

-Petra: helped plan the concert, as usual; information and details would probably be her area of expertise, at least when it came to the person she's looking for. Why was the mole admitted? Were they aware of his ties to the occupation? Why did that person end up reporting this particular concert? Questions she would be able to ask her, and at least get a second opinion about the situation, if not answers.

-Zagadka: the weird guy, a Russian, who might know more about mysterious, large men who show up at concerts with potential Russian ties. It would be a bit of a stretch to find him, seeing as he seems to come and go with the wind, and it would be even more of a stretch to assume he'd know anything about the concert or its attendees, seeing as she didn't see his figure among the many produced by her magic.

-Illya and her father, Yuri:Similar to Zagadka, they have ties to the Soviet faction. However, like Zagadka, they wouldn't really know anything about the concert, or about someone who might rat them out.

Pulling off her hat and tousling her hair about, Natali thinks about how this is going to be tricky. But, not like she had anything better to do today, anyway; why not play detective for a while, see what happens?

--

Natali's home, the former home of her and her brother, is small, even with only one occupant. Barely more than four walls, a small kitchen, and a mattress. A little bit of room for relaxing and watching TV or playing music. No matter how quaint, she'd never abandon it. Too many memories. Picking up the cordless phone, she wonders, before dialing any numbers, what this will all lead to. So she tracks down this mole...then what? They have some epic confrontation somewhere? It's not like she wanted to kill the guy or anything. The best plan, for now, was just to try to find him and see what happens.

She punches in a number, and waits for a few rings until someone answers. "Hi, this is Natali Haas. I'm looking for Petra, is she there? I'm a friend of hers from school."

Hopefully she didn't end up arrested. Hopefully she would know more about the events of that night. Hopefully, she would be home. Too many hopefullys, and not enough definitelys...

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at Dec 10, 2015 around 17:15

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Paige
(1 Heart Overcharge)

They are there, but they aren't here. That's an issue. Simply dropping the object in the mail box can be a little impersonal, but at the same time...The order did not specify hand delivery. While she could probably...no, definitely open the place up and deliver the item...She's still in some trouble at the moment, and should just "be a good little girl" and do her job. She firmly knocks again, and speaks up. "D-delivery!"

...
...
...

Half a minute later, nothing. "W-well, I'm going to just leave it in the box for you!"

...
...
...

She can't do it. But...If she just opens the door up, places the bag inside, shuts it and locks it again, all should be fine, right? The package will be delivered, no one will be able to take it, and she won't get in trouble. This looks like...single-sided blade, skeleton pattern. Let's just do this quickly and get it over with.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Gretchen

NO! NO! NO! It can't be closed, it just CAN'T be!

"FRITZ SCHULZ. You open this door right now so I can get drunk! I have had a very bad day and this isn't helping!"

I kick the door a few times to punctuate my point, but it seems like he's not here. I sigh and sit down on the stoop of the place to collect my thoughts.

"Could things get any worse? Why the hell is he closed anyway?!"

Klingon w Bowl Cut
Apr 1, 2009

Q'pla!

Clara

"Of course, of course. Have a good day, Ms. Müller."

I limp away with all the patheticness I can muster, then, once I turn the first corner, hoist the crutches onto my shoulder and bolt. I promised I would help Mr. Schulz clean up the place before the evening rush, in exchange for the couple times he's let me crash there. I don't go back on my promises.

That being said, I'm a little reluctant to do it, not because I mind a little labor, but because I might run into Gretchen or one of the other magical girls there. I like them, some of them a lot, but every time I see them something weird and/or bad happens. I didn't want to deal with that today, so I got sidetracked at the library. That clearly didn't work out so well, so I might as well go do it.


I don't necessarily have to see Gretchen if you want to keep us separate for now, I was just trying to think of something to do that involved an NPC relationship.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Paige

The key works. With the package securely delivered (and probably a very, very confused customer), nothing stops you from continuing on your route.

Gretchen and Clara

Clara turns the corner just in time to witness Gretchen angrily kicking at the door.

Klingon w Bowl Cut
Apr 1, 2009

Q'pla!

Clara
Crossing the Wall was a bit of a problem even for a magic badass like me, but I made it. Hello, West Berlin.

And Gretchen! Of course one of them would be here today. Best to see what strangeness is in store. She's very likable, at least, so a smile comes easily to my lips as I greet her, even if she does seem angry.

“Hello Gretchen! You're certainly here early. Do you need some help with that door?” I say as I stretch my legs casually. I was joking, but now I'm starting to get curious; could I break a door down? One of the many questions I have now that my legs are working again, and better than ever. I hope I get the chance to find out eventually. "I take it Mr. Schulz isn't here? I came to do some work for him."

Klingon w Bowl Cut fucked around with this message at Dec 10, 2015 around 16:50

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Paige
(1 Heart Overcharge)

Next delivery...A new set of metal cups and a repaired ice bucket for The Sleepy Dog. There are two people hanging outside, familiar to her, but right now she's not focused on that. She attempts the door in-between kicks. Locked, again. And now there's people right next to where the package would be. That's no good, that's no good at all.

"Again?...Well at least this one said they'd be fine with me leaving them at the door...But..."

Paige has already done this once, so it's less hard for her to make this decision. She retrieves her object and tries the single-blade key. Nothing. She tries the twin-blade key. It takes a little wiggling about, but it manages to open the door. She gently slides it open, steps inside, places the bag on a stool within the establishment so that it is not hit when the proprietor opens the door, and, just as quickly as she enters, she moves to shut the door and attempt to lock it back up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Gretchen

"Clara, ugh, this is the worst day of my life! The Dog's closed on the one day I absolutely NEED a drink! It's terrible! The police found something that would let me find Heidi in no time, but they won't let me see it."

"Wait, I forgot you're a metalworker, Paige! If you can get me in, I can get a glass and have Fritz put it on my tab!"

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at Dec 10, 2015 around 17:58

Klingon w Bowl Cut
Apr 1, 2009

Q'pla!

Clara

"That's terrible! What do you mean they won't 'let' you see it? If it's that important, I say we go in and take it. Plus, by then the Dog should be open, right?” I grin at the idea of busting into a police station, and then notice Paige walk up as if she's in a daze.

"Hey Paige!" I call. "Whatchya got there?"

I watch in stunned disbelief for a second as Paige just casually opens the door, then moves to lock it back up despite us standing right there.

"Well," I say slowly to Gretchen, "she could leave it open, but let's go get whatever the police have first. If she comes with us too, we'd be unstoppable! What do you think, Paige? Want to help Gretchen find her best friend?"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Paige

Just as she turns the key to shut the door, Paige flinches. Oh right, those are her friends. "O-oh! Um, what is it you wanted? I'm working right now. I just delivered a set of brass cups and a new ice bucket for Mister Schultz. I still have four other deliveries to go, but I think you said something about the police? The police station isn't one of my stops, but there is a building approximately 228 steps away from the station that is the third of the four remaining delivery locations. I'm about 12 minutes ahead of schedule and the change in route would remove about 8 minutes 48 seconds from my lead. If the diversion will only take a few minutes, I believe I can go."

She continues casually holding the gold object in her hands before realizing she still has it out in front of non-customers and shoves it into her pocket.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Gretchen

"Okay, that was a lot of numbers, but I think you said yes? I just need to get a notebook from them!"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Natali

"Petra here. How can I he- Oh, hi Natali. What's up?"

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009


Natali
(1 Overcharge, Magic/Support)

"Oh good, you're there."

Natali kind of wanted to ask a lot of questions, she realized, as she slid down the nearest wall, her head leaning back, lightly thuding against it, scrunching her toes into brown carpet, relishing the feeling of the enveloping, scratchy softness between them, of getting to sit down. Maybe not something that would happen a lot today.

Distractions. Now, she needed to focus on questions. She needed information about the mystery perpetrator, and she needed to get it without letting Petra know that she got the lead with...unusual methods.

"I wanted to ask you about..." a pause, just for a beat, and then, "Extracurricular activities that occurred last night. There was someone there who I have reason to believe is responsible for..." a gulp, slight but still noticeable, "the leak." She tried to keep her tone civil, but the word 'leak' made her think about her friends, the people who enjoy what she and others like her did, thrown to the ground, cuffed, for trying to fight against unjust occupation, and so her voice came out a little faster, a little angrier than she intended. "Last night, there was someone there, someone you wouldn't miss. A big guy, tall, muscular, probably there by himself, who seemed more interested in brown-nosing than listening to voices of revolution. Does that ring any bells?" Her left hand grips the phone just a bit tighter, her right grabbing a fistful of carpet. As she finished asking, she realized something: she had to catch this guy. Playing detective? No, this isn't about acting out some dime novel. This was personal.

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at Dec 11, 2015 around 00:25

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.


Ilyana Yurievna Leskova:

I'm not sure whether I'm glad or irritated about the sandwich's taste. Whichever impostor made this at least didn't make it taste awful. But there, the deed's done, with no harmful effects (of course, being a magical girl, I am far better equipped to weather any harmful effects!) and my superior sandwich has returned, ready to be gifted to Father as intended! Heading into his place of work, I'm a familiar sight for the reception staff, considering I've done this every day for who knows how long, so it should be a simple matter to be allowed in to hand it to father personally!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Ilya

Nothing unusual here. People are sitting in here, doing their work, albeit slowly. Bunch of soldiers, nothing new. Well, there is something new. People started eating german food, even in here! In a mainly russian workplace, that's interesting. Awful lot of sandwiches. Maybe they took a hint from your dad?

Anyway, you make your way to your father's office. Upon hearing you open the door, he turns around immediately.

"Ah, Ilya! Always a sight for sore eyes. How was school?" He looks pretty tired. It's probably the stacks of paperwork getting to him.

Natali

"Big guy? Hmm... Oh yeah, there was this one guy... what was his name, letmegetmylist... Alexander Greger. He's, uhm... ah, I can't remember what class he was in, but he was in our school last week as part of some activity. Sorry I can't be more specific. That's all I know. Maybe ask the teachers about him?"

The Terrible Trio

You arrive at the police station. Same situation as last time - cop at reception, cop infront of the "do not enter" door, bunch of cops going in and out. They seem to be just as bored and negative as before.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at Dec 11, 2015 around 15:57

Klingon w Bowl Cut
Apr 1, 2009

Q'pla!

Clara

"Okay, here's the plan," I say, crouching down to sketch a diagram in some gravel. "Gretchen, you go in and distract them. Maybe make a big scene." I draw some cute, stylized versions of our heads, and then draw a line from Gretchen's to the front entrance. "Then Paige and I will go in through windows in the side—" two more lines from the other heads, each going to opposite sides of the building— "to flank. That way, if one of us gets spotted, the other will have a better shot. Then we sneak through commando-style to wherever they keep the evidence. Probably behind that 'do not enter' door. Once we find it, I don't know, make a bird call or something. Ca-caw!"

I nod triumphantly over the finished diagram, making sure to give the girls time to study it. I'm in my element here; this is just like calling a sports play. "Any questions?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Gretchen

"Are we gonna get in trouble for this?"

Klingon w Bowl Cut
Apr 1, 2009

Q'pla!

Clara

"I mean, only if we get caught. But ask yourself, what's more important to you, living your life free of trouble, or finding Heidi? If these guys were keeping me from something I needed, no amount of trouble in the world could stop me from doing everything in my power to get it."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Paige

Paige seems unconvinced by this plan despite her generally naive nature. She decides to take a look around the perimeter of the building, placing a hand on the outer walls, attempting to get a read on it. A magical reading, in fact, to see what she can learn...unfortunately, her forte is metal, not stone.

Building Reading! With Boost!: 3d6o6+4 10

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Paige

Well, that went awry. Not only did your intended spell not work, you suddenly have this intense craving to stroke the hair of the nearest human being you can find. It cannot be denied. It will not be denied.

Naturally, this is the timing Zagadka picks to get his item.

"Hello again, Paige. I'm here to pick up my... uhm, what are you doing...?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Gretchen

Gretchen decides to go into the station and use a little bit of the Keller charm, giving the old puppy-dog eyes at the officer who refused her.

"Herr Officer, I'm sorry for making a scene earlier. It's just....Frau Strauss is my best friend, and I just want to help in any way I can....I don't know what I would do if anything....if anything.....WAAAAAAH!"

And here come the waterworks! Gretchen's a whiz at crying to get what she wants.

Charm roll! 14.

Klingon w Bowl Cut
Apr 1, 2009

Q'pla!

Clara

I assume Paige wandering away without a word means she's getting into position (she's odd like that, and I accept it), so I do the same. If I maneuver my crutches just right, I think I can get this window open. Begin the play!

Sneak into the police station: 2d6+3 11

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Paige
2 Heart Overcharge?

"O-oh! Um..." Paige's face turns a distinct shade of pink. "I was just...I was looking for something and got so lost in the stonework that...A-a-a-anyway! You wanted t-this, right?"

She produces the sun-shaped object from her pocket.

"I-I'm kind of on the c-clock right now and need to get to my next delivery, but i-it's good I found you! You wanted t-t-t-this, right? I need to get back to my friends. They n-need me to help them get something for them from here."

She gently holds it out but keeps her hand closed around it.

"B-But before I hand it over, um...I-if I may ask...what were you going to use this for?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Paige

"... Fine, I'm not going to ask. You are a strange person, but you certainly deliver. But, to answer you question: What do people use tools for? For their given purpose. People use axes to cut wood, hammers to bend steel into shape and keys to, well, open doors. Can I have it now? I already paid you and everything."

Zagadka approves! Roll to bond if you want.


Clara

Well, you manage to get the window open... buuuuut there's someone on the other side. They're moving to investigate the suddenly opening window.

CHEESE IT! or get discovered, I guess.


Gretchen

"I, uh... Oh god I'm sorry. I, we, uh... we're doing everything we can, I promise. Look, uhm... I can give you the notebook if you really want it that bad we've already used it to get the search dogs on track... please stop crying..." the officer says upon seeing the waterworks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Gretchen

Crap, I didn't think it'd be this easy. I mean, I'd have the notebook, but I'd be leaving Clara out to dry. This is a difficult decision.

Bah, she can take care of herself!

"Y-You mean it, Herr Officer? I'd appreciate that a lot...."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Gretchen

"Yes, yes. Look, I'm not heartless. Just take it before I decide otherwise."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Gretchen

I wipe my eyes and take the notebook with a few added sniffles. "Thank you so much, Herr Officer. If I find anything out, I'll tell you right away!"

Mission somehow accomplished, I walk out of the building, quickly running to the corner Clara went to to get her. "Ca caw!"

  • Locked thread
«3 »