Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Paige DeSantis

"This is a..."

And before she could even respond, he was gone. What was she supposed to do about this?

On first examination, the object seemed reasonable enough. A palm-sized gold-plated medal in the shape of the sun, with several metallic "rays" coming off of it. However, there were several design specifications that made no sense. Firstly, the actual "sun" itself was to be hollow. This would not be odd, were it a type of locket, would make sense. But the thing is, it wasn't. It wasn't a medal, because it in fact held the prongs. Each prong of "sunlight" was to be removable. with the inside ends of each carefully molded and shaped to hold very specific curves and ridges along one or both sides. They look suspiciously like the cuts you would have on the blade of a key, with the spike itself as the bow. But they're all kinds of keys: traditional lever keys, symmetrical vehicle keys, a skeleton type design with the filed-off edges, a tubular one, even a singular four-sided one that would only be removable once all the others have been removed via separating the prong from the blade.

...She was conflicted. She wanted to wait and tell her master about this, but the paper also came with distinct instructions not to. No matter how strange the stipulations on a request form, she feels bound to honor them to maintain the supplier-client relationship. If someone asked her to deliver the object by walking on her hands to their home, she would do just that. And so, despite her better judgement, especially after what happened the last time such a weird object has been requested, she began to work on the object...

...Except she couldn't. This object was impossibly complex, needed techniques that were inhumanly precise. And to create it without drawing attention...This was not doable. Not without magical aid...She'll do it. Just...quickly. She holds up her hand, and, in a series of splashes of the same metallic substance that makes up her weaponry, she is coated with the stuff, which quickly forms the layers of the costume, alterations to appearance, and everything except her glasses, which she pulls out and places upon herself as the rest of her form gains color again.

Within seconds the solution comes to her. She could make this in her sleep. It's not even large enough to be a challenge. She feels a distinct sense of disappointment as she holds out her hand and rips a chunk of the mysterious metal out. She then begins, with great agility, rapidly shifting about the pieces of the still-hardening metal to create the shape and functionality desired of the object.

Create an impossible object! (Sorcery, Support): 2d6+4 8
Boost the previous roll! (1 Support overcharge): 1d6+8 10

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Paige
(1 Heart Overcharge)

"Yes, of course, master."

She nods and pockets her newly-made item. That was a little too close. Not to mention she needs to, at some point today, test this object to see if it actually does what she thinks it does. But that would have to wait, she's got work to do now, and the customers are always right. She looks over each tag and starts mapping out an efficient delivery route between each location. Names of customers new and familiar, what they're getting if not wrapped up or boxed, whether or not they said they would be there to accept delivery, each of these things factors into her route. It actually takes her several minutes to realize she started walking out the door and out onto the streets with the bags in tow since she was so busy talking to herself about the route.

Now, where does her mental map take her first?

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Paige
(1 Heart Overcharge)

They are there, but they aren't here. That's an issue. Simply dropping the object in the mail box can be a little impersonal, but at the same time...The order did not specify hand delivery. While she could probably...no, definitely open the place up and deliver the item...She's still in some trouble at the moment, and should just "be a good little girl" and do her job. She firmly knocks again, and speaks up. "D-delivery!"

Half a minute later, nothing. "W-well, I'm going to just leave it in the box for you!"

She can't do it. But...If she just opens the door up, places the bag inside, shuts it and locks it again, all should be fine, right? The package will be delivered, no one will be able to take it, and she won't get in trouble. This looks like...single-sided blade, skeleton pattern. Let's just do this quickly and get it over with.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Paige
(1 Heart Overcharge)

Next delivery...A new set of metal cups and a repaired ice bucket for The Sleepy Dog. There are two people hanging outside, familiar to her, but right now she's not focused on that. She attempts the door in-between kicks. Locked, again. And now there's people right next to where the package would be. That's no good, that's no good at all.

"Again?...Well at least this one said they'd be fine with me leaving them at the door...But..."

Paige has already done this once, so it's less hard for her to make this decision. She retrieves her object and tries the single-blade key. Nothing. She tries the twin-blade key. It takes a little wiggling about, but it manages to open the door. She gently slides it open, steps inside, places the bag on a stool within the establishment so that it is not hit when the proprietor opens the door, and, just as quickly as she enters, she moves to shut the door and attempt to lock it back up.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Paige

Just as she turns the key to shut the door, Paige flinches. Oh right, those are her friends. "O-oh! Um, what is it you wanted? I'm working right now. I just delivered a set of brass cups and a new ice bucket for Mister Schultz. I still have four other deliveries to go, but I think you said something about the police? The police station isn't one of my stops, but there is a building approximately 228 steps away from the station that is the third of the four remaining delivery locations. I'm about 12 minutes ahead of schedule and the change in route would remove about 8 minutes 48 seconds from my lead. If the diversion will only take a few minutes, I believe I can go."

She continues casually holding the gold object in her hands before realizing she still has it out in front of non-customers and shoves it into her pocket.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Paige

Paige seems unconvinced by this plan despite her generally naive nature. She decides to take a look around the perimeter of the building, placing a hand on the outer walls, attempting to get a read on it. A magical reading, in fact, to see what she can learn...unfortunately, her forte is metal, not stone.

Building Reading! With Boost!: 3d6o6+4 10

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Paige
2 Heart Overcharge?

"O-oh! Um..." Paige's face turns a distinct shade of pink. "I was just...I was looking for something and got so lost in the stonework that...A-a-a-anyway! You wanted t-this, right?"

She produces the sun-shaped object from her pocket.

"I-I'm kind of on the c-clock right now and need to get to my next delivery, but i-it's good I found you! You wanted t-t-t-this, right? I need to get back to my friends. They n-need me to help them get something for them from here."

She gently holds it out but keeps her hand closed around it.

"B-But before I hand it over, um...I-if I may ask...what were you going to use this for?"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Paige

Paige can't do it yet. She knows what this thing can do. She herself has already been using it for what could be interpreted as nefarious purposes. But at the same time, he ordered it, and he's been nice to her so far. Maybe, just maybe, if she puts a little faith in him...

"I w-would like to ask you one more thing..." She says as she hesitates to open her hand. "If you have a particular gift, it's your responsibility to do the right thing with it, right? S-so, um...Well, I-I know what this can be used for. Vehicles, buildings, possibly even a safe or something even more dangerous. I don't know what you hope to accomplish with it, but...I don't want a repeat the the murder case. I want to believe you'll do the right and responsible thing with this. If you can look right at me and tell me you will..."

She slowly starts releasing her grip on it.

"Then I'll believe you."

Bonding!: 2d6+4 11

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Paige

"...No."

Even if it was true, that her pieces would be misused no matter what she tried, she would not allow it. This person...She can't trust them with this kind of power, but at the same time, what was she to do? She had to get out of there, but how...And then she remembered something. That fee she took for the items...She never did give it to Friedrich. The money never went into the forge's coffers, ergo the job was never formally accepted. She has just justified her next act to herself and can only hope all will work well.

"...I am sorry, but your commission was never approved by the forgemaster. This contract is...n-n-null and void! Here's your refund!"

She proceeds to produce the same sizable sum that he paid with and, with as much strength as her working girl arms can muster, chucks it at him before running in the opposite direction.

???: 2d6o6+4 24
However, as 6s don't explode on normal attribute rolls, oops, that's a 15.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Paige

"I-I-I...0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21...Okay...Um...S-so, um, this?"

She holds out the sun-shaped object. She removes one of the prongs and reveals what seems to be a car key. She does it again, this time with a building key.

"I u-um...kind of m-made this at the request of s-s-someone...they offered good money and I t-thought they'd just wanted it as a n-n-novelty piece or emergency tool. B-but they want to use it for bad purposes, so I...I gave them a r-refund and ran off and w-we should get going...before they get back up. It was only approximately f-fifteen pounds of currency, mostly nickel and c-copper, s-so it shouldn't cause any permanent damage, and d-dizziness will subside in a few minutes."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Paige

Paige holds the object out to her friends and demonstrates the different keys that can be removed one at a time. Including the final super-key.

"It is a set of keys of various shapes and sizes. It's not actually gold. It's actually aluminum bronze. I could make it gold if I wanted to, but I would have had to charge more for it, and they did not specify the materials, so I went with a gold-like appearance. The keys can conceivably be used for any lock in the city, and m-mister Zagadka said he just needed them to make getting in and out of places easier. But he also told me about how everyone will m-misuse my tools and my art...s-s-so I couldn't give this to him. I will n-n-not let my metal become the next d-dynamite."

She begins placing the keys back in one at a time, in the order they are meant to be reinserted.

"I-it's not right to use someone else's w-work to c-commit crimes easier...I-if he wants a set of keys h-he'll have to just go get them from a f-factory!"

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 15, 2015

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Paige

"Wouldn't have to jump or sneak through wall if you went through the door. There are locked doors set along the wall. Reinforced steel. Very thick. But with a key lock. Locks itself after you close it again. Four-sided key lock behind a panel with a tubular lock..."

And then she remembers friends are here.

"O-oh! R-right! H-hello! We just g-got done with some investigation. Doors are locked everywhere. Could open them. But don't want to. Still have deliveries to make. Currently 4 minutes 28 seconds behind schedule. 29. 30."

She keeps counting, albeit quietly.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Paige

"Four magical girls? W-well I mean....I still have work to do but...this does sound very important to you...A-as long as I get these done before sundown, it should be okay. N-now, I c-could always ask around, or, well, um...W-which direction are we going again? We seem to have just been...making suggestions instead of g-going for them. O-oh! And um...G-gretchen? Have you tried, w-well...reading the last entry?"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Paige
"T-this will add another twelve minutes twenty three seconds to the time I need to make up!"

But it was too late. She was already being urged along, and she wasn't exactly great at the whole "resisting a shove" thing. Still, she starts mentally recalculating her map. She can make this work! She just...has to improvise a little!

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Paige

"O-oh! Is no one there? Are you looking for someone's specific location? Well, um...I've never tried it before, but I may have a means of finding someone if they're nearby. It's a bit loud, though... But at the same time...Have we tried just stepping inside? I-it may be more prudent to do so."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Paige

"O-oh! Well, that was easy. I guess we can be on our way now."

• Locked thread