Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

They're part of L-3 Communications, so no.

EOtechs aren't even a fraction of their product lineup.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Even if they are a subsidiary, L3, being public, won't let them hemorrhage money forever. They can either:

-Fix the flaws and release new models, company and brand lives on
-Close the company at some point due to irreparable damage to the brand
-Market their products to the sporting market at a totally different price tier and no longer brand them as combat optics, company and brand lives on

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

I'm really curious to see what, if anything they do come SHOT. I love the reticle, even if the optics themselves are obviously flawed.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

My refund was approved for $451.49 - I'll ship it back and order my new Aimpoint on Monday

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I guess I should take advantage of this, although it leaves my Larue mount not doing much. I never really noticed any shift but really haven't abused it much, either.

I guess I'll grab an Aimpoint Pro and Larue cantilever mount or something.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Flavor Truck posted:

My refund was approved for $451.49 - I'll ship it back and order my new Aimpoint on Monday

Do you get an instant approval? I submitted online and it seems like they need to send me the full authorization?

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Been reading about their issues. I bought a 512.A65 a couple of years ago. Never had any issues with it. I just submitted the refund/return request though. Guess I'll be looking for another sight for my 300 BO SBR. We'll see if they actually send a check.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Wonder what they're going to do with all those units they get back. I'd buy one if it was cheap enough and under warranty.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Shaocaholica posted:

Wonder what they're going to do with all those units they get back. I'd buy one if it was cheap enough and under warranty.

Refurbished and sold to foreign nations?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

sky shark posted:

Refurbished and sold to foreign nations?

"Now with ADE 651 technology!"

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

Zhanism posted:

Do you get an instant approval? I submitted online and it seems like they need to send me the full authorization?

It took a day and a half to get a reply. I kept the application as simple as the instructions on the link I posted and copy/pasted the same text in both the malfunction and general comments section. What did you put in those fields?

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Just got my authorization to send the unit back. Submitted it Friday morning around 10am. Received it this (monday) morning around 7:30am.

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

Got my RMA email this morning as well, applied late Friday night after my EOTech's battery terminals fell out

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Styles Bitchley posted:

Submitted RMA refund request for my 2006 built 512.

Approval received today. Now to see if we actually get the refund and the check clears...

big_dilli
May 17, 2005

Got my approval today also. Wondering if this isn't gonna backfire somehow. Anyone heard of any reports of actually receiving payment?

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

im gonna keep both my eotechs because I like them

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The plot thickens: http://soldiersystems.net/2015/12/16/ill-title-this-simply-eotechlawsuit-com/

Loserslug
Mar 8, 2008

I applied for and received my approval as well. That link implies rather strongly that they are issuing gift certificates. Has anyone been able to find if that's the case?

My 512 works, even if the battery contacts broke off. If they give out gift certs and then L3 stops making sights...I'd rather have a sight than a pretty certificate.

Edit: someone on Reddit says they are sending actual money in check form. Ugh, Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/comments/3w4ivv/eotech_offering_refunds_on_their_optics/

Loserslug fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 16, 2015

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

I'm kind of torn about this. I really like the Eotech reticle and form but I also am not happy with having a faulty optic. I wish they just had a fix for it. I may return mine and use the funds to get an Aimpoint but I actually prefer the Eotech were it not for the drifting zero issue.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

EVERYONE OUT OF THE POOL http://soldiersystems.net/2015/12/17/eotech-sight-returns-overwhelming-us-postal-service/?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Make sure you pack it in a big box. Less likely to fall off truck.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Like hell if I was sending it back USPS. They can't find packages at the best of times, nevermind during the Holidays.

stik
Apr 19, 2008

I just sent mine off today in a padded envelope via UPS.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

That is hilarious. Unless you work at that post office, then it kind of really sucks and I bet they're wishing EOTech had waited a month to offer those refunds (if they even had a choice).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

stik posted:

I just sent mine off today in a padded envelope via UPS.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

So hypothetically, are you sol if you got one private party no receipt?

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Keeping mine because holy poo poo Aimpoints have an awful field of view for my xxxtreme operations.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Shaocaholica posted:

Nope. My wife is returning one and for some reason she couldn't find the receipt showing it was bought from a local store that I in no way operate.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

So are we taking bets on how long it's going to take until checks show up?

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

I was never even asked for a receipt. I put the MSRP in the "reason for return" section of the RMA request and the first email I received was approval for a refund of MSRP + $15 shipping costs and shipping instructions.

ThinkFear posted:

So are we taking bets on how long it's going to take until checks show up?
I have absolutely no reason to think this, but I will say: 4-8 weeks with no prior notification of when the refund check has been sent. It will just show up one day.

Paper Diamonds fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 18, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

So I should just find a beater sight for cheap and return it then, no questions asked.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

So I should just find a beater sight for cheap and return it then, no questions asked.
The notice says they're willing to pay what you bought the sight for, because that's the extent of your damages. Don't contribute to gun owners' reputation as being awful, entitled customers by scamming a company trying to make it right.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dead Reckoning posted:

The notice says they're willing to pay what you bought the sight for, because that's the extent of your damages. Don't contribute to gun owners'everyones reputation as being awful, entitled customers by scamming a company trying to make it right.

Fixed. Way to ruin my christmas.

Yes yes you're right.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Why shouldn't we take advantage of this billion dollar corporation that actively covered up serious defects and lied about them for many many years?

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

Lol.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Bummey posted:

Why shouldn't we take advantage of this billion dollar corporation that actively covered up serious defects and lied about them for many many years?
And that affected you how? Are you the DoJ? Or should we all commit low level fraud against companies we don't like, because that's the American way? I'm off to steal a Volkswagen.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Dead Reckoning posted:

And that affected you how? Are you the DoJ? Or should we all commit low level fraud against companies we don't like, because that's the American way? I'm off to steal a Volkswagen.

I feel the same way regarding people who are taking advantage of this. If they are asking how much you paid for the sight and you lie about it, regardless of the situation it's still a lie and you're also a d-bag for doing it.

As far as the VW comparison this is a good metaphor for something I was wondering about. For VW there was a clear, measureable standard they advertised their cars to meet, and a standard for testing that. In this case, what performance criteria or specification did L3 violate? Is there some sort of MIL-STD or contract requirements they certified the sights to? Even without i can see for military evaluations there was testing and during trials someone can say it didn't perform as expected in all environments, and simply "we don't like it". But for the general public not so sure and why I was really surprised they were willing to take them back for full refunds.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

UPS delivered my sight yesterday. Time until $: TBD

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bummey posted:

Fraud is fraud bro. Its why they are doing refunds even though many people didn't experience any problems.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Are you going to download it?

Styles Bitchley posted:

I feel the same way regarding people who are taking advantage of this. If they are asking how much you paid for the sight and you lie about it, regardless of the situation it's still a lie and you're also a d-bag for doing it.

As far as the VW comparison this is a good metaphor for something I was wondering about. For VW there was a clear, measureable standard they advertised their cars to meet, and a standard for testing that. In this case, what performance criteria or specification did L3 violate? Is there some sort of MIL-STD or contract requirements they certified the sights to? Even without i can see for military evaluations there was testing and during trials someone can say it didn't perform as expected in all environments, and simply "we don't like it". But for the general public not so sure and why I was really surprised they were willing to take them back for full refunds.

Go ask AI bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

Professor Awesome posted:

Got my RMA email this morning as well, applied late Friday night after my EOTech's battery terminals fell out

Been about a month since I mailed in my 512 and I've received no word from L3. Anyone else get a check, or even some sort of update?

• Locked thread