Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Blind Sally posted:

Dash Rendar, captain of the Outrider.

NO. NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

Voting for Stanley Tweedle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Concordance

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pimpmust posted:

No, you started out on a rather ordinary lookning space station with a piece-of-poo poo white ship that may have looked somewhat like a penis - you could land on planets (to hilarious results of their gravity was too high) and drive around some sort or rover and mine stuff. There was also combat. All rather similar to this game here, but with more modern 2D graphics. You had to buy fuel and could pretty easily run out too...

Starflight?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pimpmust posted:

Right! Starflight it was.

Weird how common this sort of game used to be.

Ah, you had the Genesis version, like me! I used to rent that game so often the rental store sold it to me and I spent years as a kid figuring out how to beat it. Starflight was awesome.

Thus, when I discovered SC2, of course I loved it too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Spathi are the best and I am extremely happy we are buddies with them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Agent Interrobang posted:

The thing is, from the perspective of something designed to engage in actual space combat, it's... sort of brilliantly optimized. Figuring out where the crew actually is on the drat thing is a guessing game, it's impossible to tell the back from the front until it fires on you, it's hellaciously agile and maneuverable, accelerates at an absurd rate, and can attack without ever having to face an opponent directly. The Spathi are cowards, but cowards make extremely effective military engineers.

I mean, Hayes' description of them as an extremely mobile, cowardly clam with a howitzer already actually sounds pretty dangerous.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm going to guess the dreamboat that is Captain Fwiffo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No, they turn the Black Spathi Squadron into a sentai show, of course.

I would legit love to see this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

NewMars posted:

The Zot-Foq-Pik seem like nice guys, let's help them out.

This. Also, hell yeah, Orz. So frumple.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Basically, the Orz are a big example of what Star Control 2 does really right: It gives you a sense of exploration, enough answers to be satisfying, and keeps enough in the dark to let your imagination take over, too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GunnerJ posted:

So the Arilou are space elves is what I am getting out of this.

Space Elf Greys who are fixated on defending humanity no matter what (with or without its consent) for reasons they won't explain.

I'm pretty sure it's intentional that they're meant to set your teeth on edge a little, especially after meeting the Orz. I mean, yes, the Orz mentioned them *jumping in front* and from context you can surmise it might mean 'getting in our way', but who knows?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like to imagine we've doomed the Arilou by bringing Orz ships to their homeworld.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AweStriker posted:

Well, certainly space fae of some variety.

And seriously, never trust the fae.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Epicurius posted:

I don't think the Arilou are malicious, and I don't think it's that they see humanity as dogs or whatever. I think they're paternal, and see humanity as young children. You protect young children, and sometimes you even do things to young children that they don't like (like giving them inoculations_, but you don't give detailed explanations about things they won't understand to young children or treat young children as equals. And, as far as I see it, that's the Arilou's attitude about humanity.

You can hear it in their tone of voice and how patronizing it is, like they're speaking very simply to a child. Still feel kinda sinister, of course.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I only managed to finish Starflight for the Genesis as a dumb kid because I slowly realized the manual contained a complete hintbook.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They also mention that while their anti-social drive remains, they conquered it enough to have a civilization that made it to space. Plus, if they were that kill-crazy about their own, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have formed the Doctrinal Conflict instead of fighting to the death about their disagreement on how to ensure nothing could ever enslave them again.

I remember the writers saying the primary inspiration for the Ur-Quan was the cycle of abuse that can come when someone is so abused that they normalize the behavior, and thus grow up to abuse others, and the tragedy that ensures.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It is impossible to overstate how glad we should all be to encounter juffo-wup.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Veloxyll posted:

Escape Velocity: Nova is also similar, being the sequel to Override.

It is good fun, too.
Or horribly traumatic. Depending what plot line(s) trigger.

Nova was a really bad game next to Override. gently caress the Polaris and gently caress the Vell-os. Nova was basically a game where at every stage having a smaller, faster ship armed with continuous beams was superior to any sort of capital craft.

Override was awesome, though. And Realm of Prey, a huge TC mod for the original EV, was goddamn amazing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RickVoid posted:

Side note, they released versions of the original EV, Override, and Realm of Prey for the Nova engine. I have a folder on my computer that has four copies of Nova in it, each dedicated to running one of the four. Escape Velocity is really, really good.

Yep! That's how I played Realm of Prey and Override (and original EV) without owning a Mac. Nova is basically okay until you play literally any of the other games and realize what a piece of poo poo Nova is next to them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also the actual storyline is total garbage. Though that's true of basically every campaign except maybe the Rebel one and definitely the Pirate one. Go Pirates.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GlyphGryph posted:

Druuge ships are basically the best.

Funny, that isn't how you spell Arilou.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Though realtalk the best boat in the game is Captain Fwiffo. Not the Eluder, Fwiffo specifically. If you don't make Fwiffo the reluctant hero of All Space you are a sad person.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Well, that's a bit grim. I suppose it's only fair to send us off to our probable deaths after risking the annihilation of their entire civilization, though. And so, life in this hosed-up little galaxy goes on.

Living in a space opera is a tough and dangerous job, man.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What did the Druuge mean by putting our 'true name' in the ledger of hatred? Are they the space devil?

I love the Crimson Corporation.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They have Potentially Ominous Long Range Plans. They said so.

And they'll never tell you why the bridge turned purple.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That Blazer vs. Podship finishing move was amazing.

I may have fistpumped.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Thraddash are the best.

I mean, at least you can say they're genuinely consistent.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Also, there's a lot more to the Thraddash history than has been shown. You can find all their dialogue here, but here's the best one:

The Thraddash are the greatest Proud Sci Fi Warrior Race in the history of the genre.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Concerning the Melnorme history lesson, so that one Ur-Quan discovered that pain blocks the mind control, injected himself with a painful poison, and transmitted a message just before he died.

This message was received by many Ur-Quan... and also by loads of Dnyarri. It's not like they left Ur-Quan alone for long. And even if just one Dnyarri got it, it would be enough for it to warn the others.
So, logically, the Dnyarri would be concerned, and immediately would increase their mind control back to full power. The Ur-Quan wouldn't make a chance. So, how did the Dnyarri have "no idea what was coming"?

Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Captain Bravo posted:

What happens if you take all possible actions to intervene in the war? Send the Ilwrath after the Kohr-Ah, tell the Thraddash to assist their masters, unleash the Utwig/Supox alliance, etc? How many things, in all, can you do to affect the conflict? And if you do all of them, can you change the outcome in any way?

I don't think you can. I think the Shofixti making the overall battle with the Alliance of Free Stars so goddamn costly ensured the Kzer-Za can't win the Doctrinal Conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jim Flatline posted:

I was thinking about a Genesis Starflight thread but I'm lazy and have never done an LP before.

That game was so good. It was my first 'Explore A Massive Bunch Of Space And Slowly Solve The Mysteries' game.

• Locked thread