Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

DentD posted:

Late 80s/early 90s sci fi genre adventure game? Sign me up. I'm blind to this but the opening has me hooked in so far.

Hmm. I think the captain is named Zaphod Beeblebrox and he is piloting the Heart of Gold.

I don't know why but this just agrees with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Weirdos

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Judging from what the Ur-Quan did to the Syreen I think I see what they're actually doing.

At least now, I'm pretty sure there's a couple more variables/plot points to make things really interesting.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Roland Jones posted:

Also it would mean that the green Ur-Quan, while trying to capture everyone, are also fighting their own species to keep humanity and everyone else from being killed. That is interesting.

Third, the Arilou were fine with us being slave shielded, and in fact left the moment it happened because we were "safe".
One thing that I'm really liking is that this game is touching on the 'freedom versus safety' issue. One one hand, we're free and able to do a bunch of stuff and that's pretty good. Slave shield is bad because the rest of us are stuck down there!

Except space is a big and scary place filled with scary things. The probes, the Ilwraith, the Kohr-Ah. The Spathi, consummate cowards they are immediately set about using us to make their own slave shield so they'd be safe beneath it. Then we learn about the Ur-Quan's dealing with the Slyreen ladies in getting them a new home.

Now we've got the Arilou who are perfectly happy that we've got a slave shield around us and that they've been working to keep the quasi-cosmic horrors at bay from us for millenia. Another vote against them being Space Elf-ish, they remarked the shield was clever and that they wish they had thought of it.

So yeah, one of the core themes of this game seems to be that 'Space is a big, wonderful dangerous place. Explore at your own peril or be safe on your home turf.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Sandman posted:

Infinite Space?

It’s got some major flaws, but there's still a decent sense of exploration and some surprisingly interesting bits of plot/character development.

DS game, though, so if you're PC-only you'll have to find an emulator somewhere.
It would be disingenuous to say this without pointing out that Infinite Space is a space jRPG. A unique one but it's quite linear and it's plot is pretty good even if the executive summary comes out as 'something like Isaac Asimov's Foundation series the jRPG.'

I will give it props for excellently foreshadowing stuff while still having it come 'out of nowhere.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Dabir posted:

Could a single Ur-Quan scout have been a big enough jerk to the Dnyarri to justify them enslaving the entire Sentient Milieu for god knows how long and ordering the annihilation of two member races?

It's entirely possible that the Ur-Quan showed up, started doing their normal thing and the Dnyarri fought back. Psychic control is a pretty powerful weapon.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

GunnerJ posted:

Look, everyone said allying with the Orz was a bad idea, and now it's been vindicated: if hypnotoad goes rogue, the beings from beyond will have our back. Horrors cancelling out horrors.
The Dynarri trying to mindjack the Orz sounds like Alucard reading the Dandy Man's mind from Hellsing Ultimate Abridged.
'The gently caress is this?'
'The gently caress is that?'
'The gently caress are those!?'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Dabir posted:

It's a bit dumb if you think about it, cause the war is over whose method is better, but the Kzer-Za are giving up the main benefit of their way, the battle thralls to fight for them.

However, if they do use their battle thralls in the doctrinal conflict they're also aiding the Kohr-Ah in their goals.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Epicurius posted:

And, dicks though the Umgah may be, but they're still probably among the least dickish of the Battle Thrall races. And, in their defense, they healed the Talking Pet for no other reason than the Arilou asked them to. It backfired on them, but still....
That and they got curious about it being way dumber than it should be. So they fixed it's brain.

The Dynarri then immediately enslaved them all.

Talk about gratitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

You have Posted the Posts and have Posted them Rightly.

E: Now we shall honor your Posting with a New Page.

• Locked thread