Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've read all of Cornwell's Sharpe series and enjoyed it. It's not quite on the same level as Renault or O'Brian but you can tell he does his research. The interesting thing was that it's the only major series I know of that you really should read in internal chronological order rather than published order, because he plotted all 20-odd books out in advance before writing the first one; though of course basing it on a foot-soldier's view of Nelson's career helped. EDIT: not Nelson, Wellington, I just woke up here

I've been reading these as a break from more serious books. They're good fun, but kind of repetitive. I've lost count of the number of times Sharpe makes an enemy who threatens his career, or falls hopelessly in love with a woman he can never have and curses himself for a fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Arcsquad12 posted:

That episode has nothing at all to do with the novel Sharpe's Gold, and is pretty easily the worst episode of the entire series. It is just so ridiculous and stupid. Thankfully it's the only episode that's like that, and while there are a few other TV series only episodes not based off of books, they're still pretty good.

It's especially bizarre because Sharpe's Gold is a good story that could have easily been adapted for TV.

I haven't read the whole series yet, but I think Sharpe's Rifles is my favorite book so far, and a good entry point for new readers.

• Locked thread