Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

http://www.serialpodcast.org/

What is Serial?
The first podcast-only offering from WBEZ and the producers of This American Life, Serial is a weekly nonfiction narrative podcast doing long-form reporting on one story at a time.

Season One - Season one thread
The first season took the internet by storm and made armchair detectives out of everyone with the discussion of the 1999 murder of Hae Min Lee - a high school student from Baltimore, Maryland. Her ex-boyfriend, a classmate at school named Adnan Syed was eventually convicted, thanks largely to the testimony of a former schoolmate, Jay, who testified that Adnan pressured him into helping with the burial of Hae's body.

Season Two
Season two is an exploration to find out why Bowe Bergdahl, a soldier with the U.S. Army decided to walk away from his post in Afghanistan, and how the consequences of that decision have spun out wider with this still ongoing saga.

Bowe Bergdahl

Video of Bergdal's release from the Taliban.

Geekslinger fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Listening to episode one. It seems fine but if this had been the first season it would not have received near the same coverage. Koening is probably super interested in not making her show a whodunit despite what everyone else wants. Which explains why she picked this more open topic about war and the US military and whatever else it ends up being about.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Hearing koenig's voice again made it move

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The last fifteen seconds made me laugh out loud. "That's me! Calling the Taliban!"

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

ninjahedgehog posted:

The last fifteen seconds made me laugh out loud. "That's me! Calling the Taliban!"

This was fantastic. I listened to the whole thing this morning thinking, "Yeah, okay, this sounds pretty good," and getting marginally excited for the season to come, then she's calling the Taliban and it's like "oh that's right Koenig is a crazy person, this is going to be dope"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
This was a fun little episode, although they need to bring the funk to make it as interesting as season one. If I'm taking things at face value, though... Bowe's plan is dumb as gently caress and he got his head too far up his rear end about how much of a superman he is.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

How do you even do that? Do they have a hotline

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

rotinaj posted:

This was a fun little episode, although they need to bring the funk to make it as interesting as season one. If I'm taking things at face value, though... Bowe's plan is dumb as gently caress and he got his head too far up his rear end about how much of a superman he is.

Yeah right now my issue is that at best Bowe is an idiot who watched too many movies then entered a war zone. At worst he is just a deserter which I am not mad about, but is exactly the story that already exists. And unlike last season it is hard to find evidence of intent. Adnan either did or did not kill that girl and those events could presumably be proven through outside investigation. Bowe's motivation are known only to himself. But hey there will probably he chills and thrills along the way so idlk.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I dunno if I can listen to this season, being former army

if you've been deployed you are intimately aware how stunningly, AMAZINGLY retarded on every conceivable level Bergdahl's plan is and how none of it makes any real sense. it sucks too because his stated reason is totally loving justified - leadership in combat zones can be and often is lethally poor, and there's very little recourse for actual grunts to point this out or whistleblow. its just he chose the single worst possible way to do it

also the IED "gift" thing might be the single dumbest loving thing i've ever heard. oh, you ghosted out and had us scramble at least four separate militaries and two separate governmental organizations, with enough O-grades to court martial you ten times over, to look for you, wasting hundreds (possibly thousands) of man-hours and millions of dollars. But you found an IED, things that are loving EVERYWHERE in a combat deployment, so you know. All good

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
It sounds to me like Koenig won't have a problem picking that apart, though. Especially since she's not talking to Bergdahl directly. It seems like the scale of this is far more ambitious than "was he right or wrong for doing what he did," which may or may not make for good listening.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Toxxupation posted:

if you've been deployed you are intimately aware how stunningly, AMAZINGLY retarded on every conceivable level Bergdahl's plan is and how none of it makes any real sense. it sucks too because his stated reason is totally loving justified - leadership in combat zones can be and often is lethally poor, and there's very little recourse for actual grunts to point this out or whistleblow. its just he chose the single worst possible way to do it

also the IED "gift" thing might be the single dumbest loving thing i've ever heard. oh, you ghosted out and had us scramble at least four separate militaries and two separate governmental organizations, with enough O-grades to court martial you ten times over, to look for you, wasting hundreds (possibly thousands) of man-hours and millions of dollars. But you found an IED, things that are loving EVERYWHERE in a combat deployment, so you know. All good

I may be misremembering, but think he was just trying to find someone planting an IED and then follow them to their hideout, so he would have that intel to help his case when he showed up at the FOB.

Of course, if anything this plan is even more retarded because it involves tracking someone (who wants to kill you) at night, completely unarmed, in unfamiliar and dangerous terrain without bothering to check your compass for hours at a time.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
To me this is kind of... And maybe this isn't fair but it's how I feel. But this is all kind of underwhelming. After inventing the new media format of podcasting for the last season for this season to just be another podcast and not another new kind of Media feels kind of like... Not sure.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Work Friend Keven posted:

To me this is kind of... And maybe this isn't fair but it's how I feel. But this is all kind of underwhelming. After inventing the new media format of podcasting for the last season for this season to just be another podcast and not another new kind of Media feels kind of like... Not sure.

I don't even know what's going on with this post.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Wake_N_Bake posted:

You see they are inventing a new kind of post, it feels kind of underwhelming.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Not sure.

Anyway it's brave of them to not just do true crime again, I'll reserve my opinions until the whole season is done, although I do admit I kind of loved hearing those courtroom recordings. Such interesting stuff. If only Bowe was a wigger it'd be at least a little nostalgic. :(

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

It's definitely interesting to get a deep dive on Bergdahl's story, even if the eventual conclusion is "Wow, this guy is a loving moron."

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Maduo posted:

It's definitely interesting to get a deep dive on Bergdahl's story, even if the eventual conclusion is "Wow, this guy is a loving moron."

This is essentially how I feel about the season thus far, too. I'm really enjoying it, it's entertaining and intriguing, etc., but holy poo poo was that an awful plan. I'm not sure what I feel would be stupider--his account of things being the absolute truth or a narrative he came up with to cover his rear end.

I agree entirely that it's depressing how (provided his stated motives are sincere) he chose to go about bringing attention to such a serious issue. I've never served, but I don't think that's necessary experience for a person to be able to understand the potential danger, there.

Lastly, regardless of how much I enjoy the podcast, one thing both I'm uneasy about and highly amused by is how nuts Sarah's methods can be. I mean, I absolutely understand why a journalist covering this story would want or even need to talk to the Taliban, especially in lieu of not having direct contact with Bergdahl. The way she presented her call seemed inappropriately gleeful, but that's not the issue so much as it is my misgivings about trusting her. Last season I got the strong impression--and I even think she admitted to it in an episode--that she was sort of charmed by Adnan. Still, I can get past that by reminding myself that she usually caught herself when she did that, this season (and future seasons, I assume) will have a larger team doing the research and writing, and she doesn't have contact with Bergdahl (though the counterpoint here is that she does have contact with other sources you know we can't trust, such as the Taliban).

Thing is, I feel like my apprehensiveness actually adds some to the experience, enhancing the mystery. It may be questionable in terms of journalistic integrity/ethics, but I personally feel it makes for riveting listening.

e: tl;dr version: Bowe's plan paints him as being dumb as a rock and Sarah's methods can be questionable sometimes, but I kinda love that and can't wait for more.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 11, 2015

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I also love how he evoked the names of characters like Bond and Bourne when talking about his plan to prove himself a heroic action hero-type super soldier by trekking almost 20 miles through a war zone riddled with dangers while not even armed with the ability to speak the local tongue. Whichever alternate reality gets to enjoy the books/films where those characters are stupid enough to make that a decent comparison is lucky. That'd be hilarious.

I laughed when he explained the moment reality hit him again and he realized he wasn't going to be able to outrun motorcycles or take on more than half a dozen gun toting Taliban with just a knife. Bond and Bourne could have taken care of that situation in no time and come out of it with some guns and a bike to show up at the FOB on.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 11, 2015

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm into it. Also seems more in line with the kind of story she might bring to This American Life, though I suspect she'll lose a lot of listeners wanting a whodunit.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I definitely can't see myself going back and forth like with season 1 since Bowe seems like a confirmed moron but I'm interested in hearing about his 5 years with the Taliban.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
He had me up until he altered his plan in order to get intel. I don't think he was a moron from the start, but I think his attempt to adapt his plans in order to lessen the magnitude is what did him in.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

How do you even do that? Do they have a hotline

They have PR people, mouthpieces, etc. What are essentially propaganda folks that give interviews and poo poo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's an interesting story even if he's a moron/mentally ill/both...

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Loved season one so much, and I'm listening to season 2 with a guy who served in the 90's who's provided pretty decent insight already. Going week to week with this is going to suck whereas I was able to binge season one in a couple days.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Any good podcasts about this season? Slate had a veteran give his perspective which was interesting, but 2 preroll and 3 mid in a 30 minute podcast? gently caress you.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

wow, so a few of you think berghdahl's plan was poorly thought out? glad we have some people on that side of the fence. make sure to repeat your same three teenager-level arguments hundreds of times itt, because we sure didn't have people doing that in the thread for last season

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Good call let's have it be an echo chamber for weirdo losers who's panties get soaked listening to adnan speak

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

wow, so a few of you think berghdahl's plan was poorly thought out? glad we have some people on that side of the fence. make sure to repeat your same three teenager-level arguments hundreds of times itt, because we sure didn't have people doing that in the thread for last season

What is your opinion, friend?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Human posted:

What is your opinion, friend?

this is kind of controversial, but i'm excited there is a new season of this show because i enjoyed the first one. gonna listen to it. yeah, i know it's pretty out there, but that's how i feel :shobon:

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is kind of controversial, but i'm excited there is a new season of this show because i enjoyed the first one. gonna listen to it. yeah, i know it's pretty out there, but that's how i feel :shobon:

Pretty heady stuff.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It was poorly thought out.

Source: Bowe Bergdahl.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm already seeing tons of people online whine about this season and how it's not as interesting as the last one.

I kinda feel like it's weird to take an actual real person's life and story and then complain "Ugh...this isn't JUICY enough! What a let down from last season!". Sorry you can't plan out elaborate fan theories and charts about a crime I guess?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Wake_N_Bake posted:

It was poorly thought out.

Source: Bowe Bergdahl.

you aren't doing it right. you need to write this as a five paragraph essay where you begin with another goon's quote and start out like you might actually address what they brought up, but then just shift to repeating the same 3 inane points you've been saying all along. make sure to do it dozens of times in the thread, even make a few posts where the quote at the top doesn't connect even tangentially to your pet issues

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm already seeing tons of people online whine about this season and how it's not as interesting as the last one.

I kinda feel like it's weird to take an actual real person's life and story and then complain "Ugh...this isn't JUICY enough! What a let down from last season!". Sorry you can't plan out elaborate fan theories and charts about a crime I guess?

Yeah, a lot of people (Especially on Reddit at the time) treated the real people in the first season as if they were characters in a god damned Agatha Christie novel. It was a little disturbing.

This is also exactly why I suspect these people hated the ending, since it didn't end like a mystery novel does and have detective Sarah Koenig gather everyone into the parlor and confirm that Adnan really was the killer, or that Jay was the killer, or whoever else people were doing their theorizing about. That was never the point.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

The last one was immediately set up as a whodunit. This is more of a whydunit. Like, what the hell was he thinking? Like Sarah's 'Zoom' children's book analogy, I think the story grows as we zoom out and examine the greater and greater ramifications and systems that become involved.

Serial isn't locked into a Law and Order format where Reddit detectives can go nuts every season. It's a long format story, and I for one am glad this season is a different approach.

We'll probably need a few more episodes before we can really evaluate the quality and merits of this season, but I found it well-produced and engaging.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Dude, stop posting.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Raxivace posted:

Yeah, a lot of people (Especially on Reddit at the time) treated the real people in the first season as if they were characters in a god damned Agatha Christie novel. It was a little disturbing.

This is also exactly why I suspect these people hated the ending, since it didn't end like a mystery novel does and have detective Sarah Koenig gather everyone into the parlor and confirm that Adnan really was the killer, or that Jay was the killer, or whoever else people were doing their theorizing about. That was never the point.

I actually saw a few people honestly complain that there wasn't 'a concrete ending'. It's really weird seeing people treat a real life murder like it's a case on CSI and then complain when real life isn't as cut and dry as TV.

What cracks me up is the amateur sleuths being all let down. Oh no you can't pull out your super secret fan maps and theories!

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

The first episode was quite good. I don't know a lot about what happened but I liked hearing the description of Meste - one thing SK is good at is painting a detailed picture. I agree that Bergdahl is (or was) a bit moronic in his choice of action, but still will be following the series with interest.

Peace Frog
Oct 7, 2009
I'm intrigued by the premise, but I have to say I find the involvement of that slimeball Mark Boal pretty gross.

I guess if you loved Zero Dark Thirty you'll disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Toxxupation posted:

To his credit, it seemed to me like Bowe was totally up front about this. Like he straight up said "I was a dumb kid who thought he was awesome and didn't know what the gently caress I was doing."

OldTennisCourt posted:

I actually saw a few people honestly complain that there wasn't 'a concrete ending'. It's really weird seeing people treat a real life murder like it's a case on CSI and then complain when real life isn't as cut and dry as TV.

What cracks me up is the amateur sleuths being all let down. Oh no you can't pull out your super secret fan maps and theories!

I do suspect Koenig thought she'd have a concrete ending when she started. At one point she says "once I found Asia McLane, it seemed like just a little more investigation would exonerate Adnan for good." When they first pitched Season One, I wonder if it would have been produced if they'd known there'd be no clear ending.

It is interesting to me just how different the topic is from last time. Season One was focused on a story most people would never have heard of, while the Bowe Bergdahl story was huge.

• Locked thread