Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think you can make a case he never should have been allowed to enlist with his medical issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think you can make a case he never should have been allowed to enlist with his medical issues.

Also he read Ayn Rand, which should qualify as a disability in and of itself.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
The complaint about this season lacking a "satisfying conclusion" frustrates me. The Bergdahl case is not a fictional story and to complain about not getting closure is understandable but to put it in the context of narrative stricture is inappropriate because what Koneig and Serial are covering are real life cases which involve and affect people. Sorry, this was just a pet peeve of mine during this season.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I haven't really seen anyone complain about no conclusive ending like last season. It's more that this season was just meh, all over the place and you're a liar if you said you loved it. #FactsOnly

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I agree that it was really inconsistent. But it's hard because of the subject compared to last time.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Jurgan posted:

Thank you! No, I didn't know that, which is why I asked the question in the first place. But apparently no one else could give a direct answer, instead saying variations of "because you're a stupid loving goon who smells bad." Which may be true, but not relevant.

the problem was that your question was moronic on a level where i couldn't tell if you were really that stupid or if you had decided to start trolling the thread. i didn't understand how someone could think about the idea of recovering a hostage from the taliban for more than two seconds and realize it might involve going out into bumfuck nowhere, afghanistan. and when you get out to the nowhere location, that you might be heading into what very might well be some kind of trap. and if it isn't a trap, who knows (e.g.) whether the taliban side of the operation might have tapped some illiterate yokels who only know how to point & shoot a kalashnikov to oversee this trade, and if one of these guys might take a neutral hand-sign by a special forces guy to mean the SF guy is trying to summon an evil christian djinn, at which point our yokel starts poking everyone full of holes

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 3, 2016

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the problem was that your question was moronic on a level where i couldn't tell if you were really that stupid or if you had decided to start trolling the thread. i didn't understand how someone could think about the idea of recovering a hostage from the taliban for more than two seconds and realize it might involve going out into bumfuck nowhere, afghanistan. and when you get out to the nowhere location, that you might be heading into what very might well be some kind of trap. and if it isn't a trap, who knows (e.g.) whether the taliban side of the operation might have tapped some illiterate yokels who only know how to point & shoot a kalashnikov to oversee this trade, and if one of these guys might take a neutral hand-sign by a special forces guy to mean the SF guy is trying to summon an evil christian djinn, at which point our yokel starts poking everyone full of holes

Perhaps the problem is that you're a jackass?

Did Serial go into detail at any point about exactly how the trade worked? I feel like it must have, but all I remember is "then the trade was made and Bowe was free." But I'm usually multi-tasking when I listen to podcasts.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes that was almost a whole episode

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes that was almost a whole episode

Maybe I was busy with something else at the time. Which ep?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jurgan posted:

Maybe I was busy with something else at the time. Which ep?

Jesus christ. Maybe the one called trade secrets.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sorry, I had no idea my objecting to Koenig's word choice in one episode would be so offensive. Please return to your conversation about what a goony sperglord Bowe is- that never gets old.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It's actually because you're asking dumb questions about something you apparently didn't even listen to and can't be bothered to google. And its fun to make fun of you for that

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i still can't tell if jurgan is trolling or just clueless. i'm guessing a little of both

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i still can't tell if jurgan is trolling or just clueless. i'm guessing a little of both

No, I just apparently didn't take detailed enough notes while listening to a podcast. I didn't realize there would be a book report.

Can we please move on?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Adnan did this thread.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

webmeister posted:

Have you actually watched the release video? Because two Blackhawks loaded with special forces troops and a pair of Hercules (I think?) orbiting overhead sure as poo poo looks like a military operation to me - particularly when one of the helicopters lands in front of 20+ Taliban guys armed with AKs and RPGs.

Sure it's not much like Counter-Strike or whatever, but it would've been tense as gently caress for everyone involved.

Don' come back to afghanistan

This season was good and informative about the war in general. I hope Bowe doesn't get punished too harshly by the Army.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What I really took away from this season was hosed up military culture can be. Like I don't think I'll ever forget that dude that complained about having to do humanitarian work instead shooting guys.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Don' come back to afghanistan

This season was good and informative about the war in general. I hope Bowe doesn't get punished too harshly by the Army.

It was nice to get some insight on what Bowe was thinking, but he was probably the least interesting part of the story. It was best when Bowe was a prism through which to see the entire clusterfuck that is the Afghanistan war.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
I'm checking my notes here and I don't see anything that says Bowe was even held by the taliban? Did this even happen?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The way I understood it, the Haqqanis were associates of the Taliban and worked for them, but also acted on their own. Bowe probably never met an actual Taliban member during his capture, but the Taliban were the ones the US negotiated with. Unless you're doing a multi-part podcast explaining the details of Bowe's capture, it's just easier to say "Bowe was captured by the Taliban."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Let's be honest, part of the real reason this season was so under-recieved is that the general populace tune out anything to do with soldiers outside of a disinterested patrotic swell for "our troops". I mean poo poo, most people think NATO forces were in Afghanistan fighting Al-Qaeda for oil.

The plight of Adnan and co. was immediately relatable to the average person's world, with police and high school and relationships. War is so far removed from most people's real lives that they can't even imagine that poo poo, it's too much hard work. It all just blends together with Call of Duty and Battlefield Earth and brittle hero worship into a desert coloured sludge.

People just don't have a frame of reference, a basis, a groundwork for the day-to-day on a tour, and it's so unimaginably lovely that they don't really WANT to think about it. Plus Sarah Koenig can't really break down the complicated picture of the war in Afghanistan overall without leaving out a ton of details and being called "biased".

Also there's the whole not speaking to Bowe thing. That sucked too.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

VagueRant posted:

Also there's the whole not speaking to Bowe thing. That sucked too.

She might have covered this, but why didn't he want to participate in Serial? I assumed it was because he has a trial going on, but he would have known that was coming while talking to Boal, and he talks pretty openly about almost everything.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm a vet and I didn't want to hear about bergdahl from a combination of not wanting to hear the lurid details of the life of a braindead retard's faux navy seal bullshit and that it sounded like an immensely uninteresting case conveyed in the most boring way possible

And I'm the exact target demographic that should've eaten this poo poo up

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

I'm a vet and I didn't want to hear about bergdahl from a combination of not wanting to hear the lurid details of the life of a braindead retard's faux navy seal bullshit and that it sounded like an immensely uninteresting case conveyed in the most boring way possible

And I'm the exact target demographic that should've eaten this poo poo up

Those two paragraphs seem a bit contradictory.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

maybe! most other vets i know really like military-related stuff, i usually can't handle it unless it's super super good like Generation Kill or something

this really wasn't, is my point

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Watching military people on my Facebook throw a hissyfit about the premise of this season and refusing to listen because they already had their minds made up was great. Especially when the entire season was about what unstable idiots most of these people are, up to and including plotting murder based on complete bullshit and hurt feelings.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
To be fair, most murders are plotted based on bullshit and hurt feelings.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I give Koenig and co all the credit for doing something different and much less popular than another murder case in this season by covering the Bergdhal case. I mean, the fallout just feels more socially and politically relevant to me than any other murder case would. True journalism ought not to be a ratings game, but I'm worried now that season three will be less substance in a chase for better ratings. :smith:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

I give Koenig and co all the credit for doing something different and much less popular than another murder case in this season by covering the Bergdhal case. I mean, the fallout just feels more socially and politically relevant to me than any other murder case would. True journalism ought not to be a ratings game, but I'm worried now that season three will be less substance in a chase for better ratings. :smith:

Well, there was talk before it came out that they were almost deliberately out to alienate a portion of their listeners.

http://www.avclub.com/article/sarah-koenig-hoping-people-dont-get-obsessed-seria-225945

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Benny the Snake posted:

i can't check right now, but i seem to remember the start of this season saying they were originally working on something else and pushed it back to do Bergdhal when the chance to listen to/use the interview tapes came up?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Are we getting another season of this story? I don't remember if that was announced, or if I'm confusing it with the announcement that they were only going to release episodes every two weeks.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

We loving better not be

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
what an underwhelming season this was

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Are we getting another season of this story? I don't remember if that was announced, or if I'm confusing it with the announcement that they were only going to release episodes every two weeks.

I think they said they'd have updates, like the mini-episodes about Adnan's appeal.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
What a shrewd plan to make season 2 bad and pointless on purpose.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

African AIDS cum posted:

What a shrewd plan to make season 2 bad and pointless on purpose.

I think that's NPR'S standard operating procedure.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
A mentally unbalanced idealist worms his way into the army after already having had a mental breakdown in the Coast Gaurd due to beurocratic inefficiency. He is dropped into the middle of America's most bizarre and longest running "war", which, unlike its closest analogue (the Vietnam War), is rarely covered in the media or thought of much at all by a populace distracted by Presidential elections, recreations of he O.J. Simpson trial, and the Orwellian boogeyman ISIS. This man, Sgt. Bergdahl, predictably looses his mind and, rather than continue with this insane charade of a conflict, breaks the "arrangement" in the way that only the mentally ill can--he just wanders off into the desert, following his own bizarre and broken internal logic. Sgt. Bergdahl then experiences something that the majority of us never will: he steps out of the Manufactured and Controlled reality and into the Very Very Very Real. He goes from generation-kill "war as a video game humvee mission" to "prisoner of a Pakistani criminal network that views him as the personification of generations of persecution and death." Then, a strange miracle happens; the same broken brain that pushed him into this scenario also enables him to survive five years of absolute torment that would've "broken" any normal human being. Meanwhile, he becomes a pawn on the international scale, where an outgoing president concocts a plan to use him to help close the door on an unfulfilled campaign promise, but gets caught when being too overly celebratory of the "victory"

vs

The unfair trial of a teenager who probably murdered his girlfriend

Season two ruled.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

A mentally unbalanced idealist worms his way into the army after already having had a mental breakdown in the Coast Gaurd due to beurocratic inefficiency. He is dropped into the middle of America's most bizarre and longest running "war", which, unlike its closest analogue (the Vietnam War), is rarely covered in the media or thought of much at all by a populace distracted by Presidential elections, recreations of he O.J. Simpson trial, and the Orwellian boogeyman ISIS. This man, Sgt. Bergdahl, predictably looses his mind and, rather than continue with this insane charade of a conflict, breaks the "arrangement" in the way that only the mentally ill can--he just wanders off into the desert, following his own bizarre and broken internal logic. Sgt. Bergdahl then experiences something that the majority of us never will: he steps out of the Manufactured and Controlled reality and into the Very Very Very Real. He goes from generation-kill "war as a video game humvee mission" to "prisoner of a Pakistani criminal network that views him as the personification of generations of persecution and death." Then, a strange miracle happens; the same broken brain that pushed him into this scenario also enables him to survive five years of absolute torment that would've "broken" any normal human being. Meanwhile, he becomes a pawn on the international scale, where an outgoing president concocts a plan to use him to help close the door on an unfulfilled campaign promise, but gets caught when being too overly celebratory of the "victory"

OK, just read this paragraph and you don't need to listen to 10 hours of NPR voice

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

vs

The unfair trial of a teenager who probably murdered his girlfriend

Season two ruled.
Preach, brother.

Whatever sympathy I might have for Bergdahl diminishes when I compare him to Chelsea Manning, who was in a similar situation but took responsibility as a proper whistleblower as opposed to this guy who wanted to make it all about him by triggering a search party. Although I will day this-whatever the army sentences him would be too kind for him, because an acquittal would be feeding him to the lions at this point :ohdear:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

How would that be worse that being tortured for 5 years? Plus he's clearly got mental issues.

• Locked thread