Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'd reply with just an image of The Bat Flip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Doesn't appear to be salty about it. Just having some fun.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Drafted for a yahoo Pro 20 H2H league, draft was last night, I had the 10 spot. 12 team H2H standard 5x5 PRO 20 league.

C: Wilson Ramos/Yasmani Grandal (I'll drop one eventually)
1B: Joey Votto
2B: Kolten Wong
3B: Matt Carpenter
SS: Manny Machado
OF: AJ Pollock
OF: Yasiel Puig
OF: Corey Dickerson
UTIL: Randal Grichuk
UTIL: Stephen Piscotty
BN: Michael Brantley (17th round pick)

SP: David Price, Cole Hamels, Yu Darvish, Steven Matz, Michael Pineda, Ian Kennedy, Hector Santiago, Anthony Desclafani
RP: Wade Davis, Zach Britton, Sean Doolittle

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Holy poo poo your Cardinals fandom is shining through. Piscotty and Grichuk as literally 1/6 of all your offensive players drafted and Wong/Carpenter on top of that.

Also Anthony DeSclafani: noted garbageman pitcher.

I LOVE Ian Kennedy and Michael Pineda this year though. Puig and Votto will be value picks. Brantley is a nice shrewd move and will be back right around the time you get tired of Grichuk so that will work out well.

Pollock makes me itchy because roster resource has Jean Segura hitting in the two-hole, which means lots of GIDP and fielders choices knocking him off the base paths for Goldy. If they boot Segura, I really like Peralta and Beef Welington (who I would take a shot on over Wilson Ramos) which means the Pollock pick will work out.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moneyball posted:

And then someone on the league message board posts:

Authorities responded to reports of crime in the vicinity of a Yahoo fantasy baseball league. Upon arrival, the officers were aghast at the gory crime scene. Apparently, a grizzled old fantasy veteran smoothly slipped a dagger into the ribs of a fantasy n00b and absconded with the consensus pick for 2016 rookie of the year and MVP contender Carlos Correa leaving in its place, a facsimile of fair value in the rapidly declining husk of Jose Bautista. The n00b bled out on the spot, all the while thinking that he had gotten the better of the deal. Eyewitnesses say that the n00b was quite surprised when they tried to point out that he was bleeding. He last words were "Huh....How'd that happen?"

That's some good trash talk. :bravo:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

That's some good trash talk. :bravo:

Followed up with:

"If apprehended, the general manager of the Dumpsters will be charged with Grand Larceny, or, depending on the age of the other general manager "theft of a sugary treat from an infant."

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I want to do a Yahoo Pro20 right now but I feel like it's too early, right? Shouldn't I wait til mid march?

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
Yahoo's rankings right now are terrible so I'd have no problem drafting a team this early. They will adjust them at least 2 more times before opening day based on ADP data and industry pressure so the deals you see today won't be around in March.

The flip side is that people drafting this early are probably more likely to be sharks? I am not sure if that is true but something to consider.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
So I should wait then because I'm the definition of a fish when it comes to the MLB. I need the ADP rankings in order to survive, or a handy cheat sheet on who to draft.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'm about a breath away from trading Billy Hamilton (19th rd. keeper) and a few middling draft picks for Anthony Rizzo (13th rd.) and Jaime Garcia (17th rd.) in a three-team trade in my keeper league. In a separate deal, I'm trying to swap Braun (16th rd.) for Cueto (12th rd.) straight up to a guy who already has three good young pitchers all Round 18 or later (can only keep three) but is a little short on hitters. I'll keep Garcia if that one doesn't end up going through, but I have a handshake deal in place to flip him for a marginal pick upgrade if I land Cueto.

5. Altuve
12. Cueto
13. Rizzo
14. Arrieta
18. Schwarber
19. Springer
21. Ventura
23. Stroman

:getin:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I like having a draft early because by the time April rolls around all the good sleepers have been hyped to death and they end up not being sleepers anymore.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Schweinhund posted:

I like having a draft early because by the time April rolls around all the good sleepers have been hyped to death and they end up not being sleepers anymore.

Exactly.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Schweinhund posted:

And then you just pick up all the solid players that fall to you while everyone else is picking their "sleepers" at cost, essentially.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Yeah, what he said, that's usually how it works in most fantasy, baseball is no exception. It also may be confirmation bias, but I find that the sleepers that really rocket up the charts and go a good 50-70+ picks ahead of their early ADP never really out-perform their draft slot, meanwhile, the guys that you still grab in the middle of the draft, but maybe 2-4 rounds earlier than you wanted to, are still the real sleeper studs and the middle rounds of any fantasy draft are basically a crapshoot anyway so who gives a hot poo poo if you need to drop an 11th instead of a 16th on your shiny 2B sleeper? In any fantasy sport, I'd rather have the extra time of the pre-season period to hash out exactly what's going on with the players and their teams' inner workings; later is always better.

e:

Moneyball posted:

nominate everyone's sleepers in the first few rounds so everyone groans.

This is awesome.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 10, 2016

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

They already adjusted the rankings once, boosting Machado up to 7th from 16th.

Adam Eaton went from 105 to 89

Rasiel Iglasias from 140ish to 105.

Carlos Carrasco from 80s to 60s.

Can't really think of any others that stood out.

All the "experts" picked Lindor to be ranked pretty high this year and he's in the 120s, so enjoy that while it lasts.

Though my favorite thing (other than nominating Ryan Braun the pitcher back a few years ago) in auctions is to nominate everyone's sleepers in the first few rounds so everyone groans.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 10, 2016

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Moneyball posted:

Though my favorite thing (other than nominating Ryan Braun the pitcher back a few years ago) in auctions is to nominate everyone's sleepers in the first few rounds so everyone groans.

This is best in an Auction Keeper League, where sleepers get priced out of becoming keepers rapidly.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

F

kensei posted:

This is best in an Auction Keeper League, where sleepers get priced out of becoming keepers rapidly.

uck you!

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I like drafting during Wrestlemania, we did it last year in the Goon Nuclear Softball league and I finished 2nd. Was good fun! Hope we do it again this year ;)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Who are the sleepers I should be targeting this year? I literally have no idea and playing a poo poo ton of OOTP didn't help me either.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

ZenVulgarity posted:

gently caress you!

The ebb and flow of auctions always fascinate me. Guys in the first 5-6 rounds go for 25-50% more than they should, guys in the middle of the auction go for roughly what they should, and guys in the last 5-6 rounds are pretty cheap unless you have two dudes sitting on money waiting for their player.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

ESPN is open. Mock drafts aren't running yet though.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Moneyball posted:

ESPN is open. Mock drafts aren't running yet though.

They are on Yahoo. Good thing is if they don't fill up they just put bots in. Maybe not a good thing...

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Doltos posted:

Who are the sleepers I should be targeting this year? I literally have no idea and playing a poo poo ton of OOTP didn't help me either.

are you talking prospects or guys that are massively underrated?

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy

Doltos posted:

All these guys are ranked outside the top 100 on Yahoo and are guys I am targeting: Lance McCullers, Jonathan Schoop, Taijuan Walker, Carlos Rodon, Delino Deshields, Joc Pederson, Rougned Odor, Michael Conforto.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Abel Wingnut posted:

are you talking prospects or guys that are massively underrated?

Both I guess. I know Piscotty is a good person to target and I think some other guys might be good if they stay healthy, like Werth and Zimmerman.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Doltos posted:

Both I guess. I know Piscotty is a good person to target and I think some other guys might be good if they stay healthy, like Werth and Zimmerman.

guys coming back from injury/bad luck:
darvish
rendon
cobb
puig
samardzija
ryu

prospects:
crawford
turner
gallo
matz
rodgers
giolito and urias but i think they're a year away

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

ESPN mocks are up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Abel Wingnut posted:

guys coming back from injury/bad luck:
samardzija

lol

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Samardzija is going from one of the worst defenses to one of the best and oh yeah AT&T Park. People get mad that he isn't an ace but he will definitely be better than last year.

How good that is remains to be seen, but he will definitely be better than last year just by default.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

He's a guy who I'm absolutely going to pick up if/when I'm in a late round in my keeper league, I look up and see no names pop out at me. Statistically, I'm probably going to end up cutting that pick anyway so whatever

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've just never seen anything to indicate Samardzija is anything other than a mediocre pitcher that had one good year where his BABIP was lower than normal. He's 31 now so I don't think he's going to break through like people keep expecting him to.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

That may very well be true but because of all the reasons just stated I could be convinced to take a flyer hopefully just to get good little stretch of production or maybe a trade chip. Especially late/cheap in a keeper league that maybe someone might be convinced he has long term value

I usually miss on my mid-round pitchers anyway and pretty quickly drop them in favor of streaming/watching the wire so v:shobon:v

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Jeff Samardzija, in a stat he is complete control of that is a good indicator of production, and in which is usually elite

K-BB%
2012 (12th)
2013 (24th)
2014 (15th)
2015 (46th)

~*~2015 cratering not withstanding~*~

There are a couple things which could explain why he took a step back last year though:
LOB%
2011 75%
2012 73%
2013 71.7%
2014 73.2%
2015 67.2%

Which can be attributed to:

And this is his 2016:

Also his groundball percentage went way, way down, which is probably because for some goddamned reason, Samardzija used his cutter twice as much as he did in any other season despite it being his worst pitch by far. Dave Righetti and Buster Posey won't let that poo poo happen.

That having been said based on his FantasyPros ADP (SP 46), I'd rather have Jose Quintana*, Drew Smyly*, Yordano Ventura or Patrick Corbin*

*I can't quit you, losers

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm thinking he'll give up way less dingers this year. a move to SF and the NL should do wonders, especially if he goes back to his 2014 repertoire. i have no idea why the white sox changed it

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Schweinhund posted:

I'd probably do it since with that many keepers there's not going to be too many great players available in the 2nd round. If it's an old league compare him to players picked in the 2nd round last year. Drop Dozier if you have to.

Comparison in Round 2:
Lucroy, Longoria, Kinsler, Gray, Arrieta

Dozier in 6:
Jay Brue, Matt Holliday, and a bunch of keepers(round before includes Tanaka, Gaattis, Tomas, Castro, Dee Gordon, Waino, aand Chris Carter)

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

ZenVulgarity posted:

Comparison in Round 2:
Lucroy, Longoria, Kinsler, Gray, Arrieta

Dozier in 6:
Jay Brue, Matt Holliday, and a bunch of keepers(round before includes Tanaka, Gaattis, Tomas, Castro, Dee Gordon, Waino, aand Chris Carter)

Rankings before last season. Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fantasy-baseball-rankings--top-250-211545508.html
Lucroy: 102
Longoria: 58
Kinsler: 46
Gray: 94:
Arrieta: 69

And Cruz is ranked 29th this year, so he'd probably go in the 1st round and you'd have to pick a lesser player in the 2nd. Dozier would be ok to keep for the 6th round but if you have to choose between the two I'd rather keep the 44 HR guy than someone who is just good.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

would i be crazy to trade carrasco, pollock, and schwarber, all of whom are $10 each, for a $10 correa?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Abel Wingnut posted:

would i be crazy to trade carrasco, pollock, and schwarber, all of whom are $10 each, for a $10 correa?

Can we put this post in the OP as an example of why you need to include league settings (including keeper rules) instead of just asking an open ended question?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

Can we put this post in the OP as an example of why you need to include league settings (including keeper rules) instead of just asking an open ended question?

obp instead of avg, slg, qs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Abel Wingnut posted:

obp instead of avg, slg, qs

How many teams are in your league?

How many keepers does each team get?

How long are you allowed to keep players?

How much does their cost go up each year?

What does your keeper roster look like before/after the trade?

How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?

How much is your budget?

Is it a points league?

Head to Head or Roto?

• Locked thread