Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.

Abel Wingnut posted:

would i be crazy to trade carrasco, pollock, and schwarber, all of whom are $10 each, for a $10 correa?

Despite the league settings, I don't think I make this trade. Correa is obviously a great player but I don't see you getting more value than those three guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

How many teams are in your league?

How many keepers does each team get?

How long are you allowed to keep players?

How much does their cost go up each year?

What does your keeper roster look like before/after the trade?

How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?

How much is your budget?

Is it a points league?

Head to Head or Roto?

13 teams. keep 6. 6x6 roto, obp instead of avg, slg and qs added. 225 budget.

schwarber - $10
rizzo - $25
donaldson - $30
pollock - $10
conforto - $10
david ortiz - $10
carlos santana - $10

scherzer - $21
carrasco - $10
cueto - $10
stroman - $10
liriano - $10
zimmermann - $10

right now: schwarber, rizzo, donaldson, pollock, scherzer, and carrasco

keepers start at $10, go up to $25 the next year, then $5 more per year. $50 is max.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Abel Wingnut posted:

13 teams. keep 6. 6x6 roto, obp instead of avg, slg and qs added. 225 budget.

schwarber - $10
rizzo - $25
donaldson - $30
pollock - $10
conforto - $10
david ortiz - $10
carlos santana - $10

scherzer - $21
carrasco - $10
cueto - $10
stroman - $10
liriano - $10
zimmermann - $10

right now: schwarber, rizzo, donaldson, pollock, scherzer, and carrasco

keepers start at $10, go up to $25 the next year, then $5 more per year. $50 is max.

Short term you're better off not doing it, since you should be getting much more than $10 from all those players. I don't know who you'd plan on filling the two freed up spots with but Cueto and Stroman are decent options (or just keeping the extra cash for your budget). In a vacuum I generally favor offense over pitching, though.

Long term I'd rather have Correa over Pollock, but I don't know how much the difference is (I don't do much in auction). Also, if you can get pitchers like Scherzer for $21 (yes I realize he had a down year in 2014 but that still seems low) then I'm not sure you'd keep Carrasco at $25 next year, so that's also worth considering. Schwarber's value going forward probably entirely depends on if he sticks at catcher.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy

IcePhoenix posted:

Can we put this post in the OP as an example of why you need to include league settings (including keeper rules) instead of just asking an open ended question?

Quoted you in the OP, great point.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
This guy is really pushing hard for Arenado, and while this is a deal I'll likely decline, it's intriguing.

His David Price, Kyle Seager, and Freddie Freeman for my Nolan Arenado and Drew :)

I went heavy on offense and didn't take any high ranked SP, but have since traded for Scherzer, and traded both of my starting 1B away. Current roster:

C: Posey
1B: Duda
2B: Cano
3B: Arenado
SS: Lindor
OF: Blackmon, Cargo, Eaton
UT: Revere, Beltre
BN: Turner, Inciarte, Reddick

SP: Scherzer, Iglesias, Iwakuma, :), Garcia
RP: Vizcaino, Benoit, Storen, Betances, Watson

It would balance things a little more, but Arenado is a beast. I could probably get him to include one of his closers by altering the deal a bit, but wanted to see how this looks.

e: ugh nevermind. Someone who kept rejecting my reasonable deals just traded Manny Machado and Gio Gonzalez to that guy for Price and Cory Seager... what the hell man.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 16, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Blehhhh I have Matz in the 10th. boo.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
What round is good to target the younger Seager brother in YahooPro20 standard rotisserrie?

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy

Doltos posted:

What round is good to target the younger Seager brother in YahooPro20 standard rotisserrie?

Yahoo has him at 105 overall but I have no problem taking him in the 60s. I wouldn't take him over Xander though (77 on Yahoo). I would guess Xander will go in the 6-7th in pro drafts but hard to say.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hitting categories: R, RBI, SB, OPS
Pitching categories: IP, ERA, WHIP, K.

Rotisserie league. Hard start limit at 162. 12 teams in the league, $260 budget, 25 roster spots (13 hitting, 9 pitching, 3 bench).

Our keepers escalate ($1 for the first, $4 for the second, $8 for the third, $13 for the fourth, and so on).

My keeper candidates who I am considering are Rizzo ($8 base), Arrieta ($13), Odor ($2), Marte ($24), Blackmon ($18), Piscotty ($5), Dozier ($10).

My current thought is keeping:
Rizzo at $9
Odor at $6
Arrieta at $21

and dumping the rest. The +$13 is prohibitive on anybody else and those are the three in that listing who feel to me like they could continue on into 2017, so I want to keep their costs lower. Any thoughts?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Does anyone have a particular favourite among the big sites (espn, yahoo, mlb.com, any other that I've overlooked) for running a League for your friends? Do any have particular advantages etc?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Does anyone have a particular favourite among the big sites (espn, yahoo, mlb.com, any other that I've overlooked) for running a League for your friends? Do any have particular advantages etc?

It's down to personal preference really. I always preferred ESPN and now even more so since Yahoo has a daily popup annoying you about their DFS.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I like CBS's scoring system and customization options a lot but the UI is pretty out of date.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy

Poque posted:

Hitting categories: R, RBI, SB, OPS
Pitching categories: IP, ERA, WHIP, K.

Rotisserie league. Hard start limit at 162. 12 teams in the league, $260 budget, 25 roster spots (13 hitting, 9 pitching, 3 bench).

Our keepers escalate ($1 for the first, $4 for the second, $8 for the third, $13 for the fourth, and so on).

My keeper candidates who I am considering are Rizzo ($8 base), Arrieta ($13), Odor ($2), Marte ($24), Blackmon ($18), Piscotty ($5), Dozier ($10).

My current thought is keeping:
Rizzo at $9
Odor at $6
Arrieta at $21

and dumping the rest. The +$13 is prohibitive on anybody else and those are the three in that listing who feel to me like they could continue on into 2017, so I want to keep their costs lower. Any thoughts?

I think this is the right decision. I'd also target Marte and Blackmon again in the draft with those categories, both are borderline top 20 hitters in your league.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I use Yahoo because their mobile app works

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Given that one of the stats that is counted is saves, should I disregard better relief pitchers who won't be closing, in favor of worse closers? Is that how that works? Seems dumb that saves is a thing.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pork Pie Hat posted:

ESPN's mobile app is pretty crummy but the website is solid as gently caress.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Doghouse posted:

Given that one of the stats that is counted is saves, should I disregard better relief pitchers who won't be closing, in favor of worse closers? Is that how that works? Seems dumb that saves is a thing.

There are four basic strategies regarding saves, and you'll have to tweak your approach depending on your other league settings

1: Draft closers as normal, trying to get enough saves to feel good about your team.

2: Only draft a couple closers and end up in the lower half of saves, but get really good ones so the rest of your ratios won't get hurt.

3: Draft no closers and just pick up the guys who get the job early-mid season because of performance/injury issues with the guys that start the season with the job.

4: Draft no closers and punt the category, draft really good setup guys instead to slot in your RP spots to help you with ratios/Ks.

I tend to combine 2 and 3, personally. I don't like the idea of punting a category unless a league is set up that I can take big advantage of it, and I don't feel like punting saves in a standard setup is one of those situations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

ESPN's rankings are frustrating to me. The players I'm targeting are higher there, with some strange drops. Braun is real low, as well as Puig, not that I draft either.

I do like that their default league rosters are deeper, and rather than 2 SP, 2 RP, 3 P setup, they have all P slots.

Still, I prefer Yahoo.

cLOLsers:

Save totals of players who went in to the beginning of the season with either no closing gig, or at least a shakey hold on one:

Jeurys Familia: 43
Brad Boxberger: 41
Andrew Miller: 36
Shawn Tolleson: 35
AJ Ramos: 32
Luke Gregerson: 31
John Axford: 25

Not to mention, Wade Davis inherited his role after Holland got hurt. Personally, in most leagues, I (now) prefer to either really wait on closers and pick a few towards the end, or go for elite RP like Miller and Davis last year, hoping they somehow wind up closing.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 17, 2016

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Rand alPaul posted:

ESPN's mobile app is pretty crummy but the website is solid as gently caress.

The ESPN mobile app is not working, with a splash message that they are updating it :allears:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

IcePhoenix posted:

There are four basic strategies regarding saves, and you'll have to tweak your approach depending on your other league settings

1: Draft closers as normal, trying to get enough saves to feel good about your team.

2: Only draft a couple closers and end up in the lower half of saves, but get really good ones so the rest of your ratios won't get hurt.

3: Draft no closers and just pick up the guys who get the job early-mid season because of performance/injury issues with the guys that start the season with the job.

4: Draft no closers and punt the category, draft really good setup guys instead to slot in your RP spots to help you with ratios/Ks.

I tend to combine 2 and 3, personally. I don't like the idea of punting a category unless a league is set up that I can take big advantage of it, and I don't feel like punting saves in a standard setup is one of those situations.

I'm in a H2H categories league, so this strat probably only works there, but usually I draft whatever one or two closers are left around round 10-12 when there's really nothing there and it's a little too early to start jumping on my deep sleepers, then I'll grab another one or two that usually go super later because no one knows they're closing. Then I use Closer Monkey and hawk the poo poo out of the wire during the season. I usually end up with 5 or 6 closers and I pretty much kick rear end in saves, then at the midway point, I trade all of them away for upgrades and punt the category for the rest of the season. I've finished 3rd or higher each of the last 4 seasons and won last year and quite a few times I was able to flip a closer or three for a really nice piece. This probably won't work if you're in a league where people don't trade and/or you don't have a lot of pitching slots/daily rosters. Our league is daily rosters and SPx3, RPx3, Px2 and 8 bench spots total, so there's plenty space to move guys.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Thanks for the closers advice.

Huh.Yahoo doesn't count OBP, seems strange. Oh well. I just signed up for a paid draft through Yahoo - so excited for baseball.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Doghouse posted:

Thanks for the closers advice.

Huh.Yahoo doesn't count OBP, seems strange. Oh well. I just signed up for a paid draft through Yahoo - so excited for baseball.

Yahoo can count OBP. It's all down to the league settings.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Looking for some keeper advice here to try and help defend my goon league championship,

Yahoo 12-team 6x6 H2H (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS and W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, QS)

Auction draft budget is $260, 3 keepers at +$4 inflation under $40 and +$5 at $40 or above.

I have 5 I'm considering:
Arenado ($24 -> $28)
Pollock ($2 -> $6)
C. Davis ($20 -> $24)
Scherzer ($37 -> $41)
G. Cole ($13 -> $17)

Now I think Arenado and Pollock are clear choices, but for the third I'm conflicted. My gut says go hitting and take Davis, but Scherzer and Cole were both great last year and Cole is at a good price for future seasons.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

At that price, I'd take Cole

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

What do you guys think of Mazara in a dynasty context?

I feel like he's going to be a megastar, currently trying to trade for him (we play 20 man 7x7 with OBP and SLG)

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

What do you guys think of Mazara in a dynasty context?

I feel like he's going to be a megastar, currently trying to trade for him (we play 20 man 7x7 with OBP and SLG)

Love him in dynasty. I am not sure he'll see more than 200 ABs in 2016 but should be a full-time starter in 2017 at 22 years old.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Looking for someone to take over a team in my keeper league. 10 teams, 6x6 H2H, categories are R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, K, SV, Holds, ERA, WHIP. Keeper rules are keep up to 5 players, no 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders, 2 rounds of inflation per year, and you can only keep a guy twice.

You can take a look at all the teams here. The team you'd be taking over is Charlie's Hustlers.

PM me or email me at monday4k@gmail.com if you're interested.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Hoo boy, that is a, uh, rugged team.

How come I see some players on other teams saying they can be kept in Rd 1? Wouldn't that be from Rd 3 last year, and so ineligible to be kept?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Hoo boy, that is a, uh, rugged team.

How come I see some players on other teams saying they can be kept in Rd 1? Wouldn't that be from Rd 3 last year, and so ineligible to be kept?

Because I hosed up. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll fix it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Monday_ posted:

Looking for someone to take over a team in my keeper league. 10 teams, 6x6 H2H, categories are R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, K, SV, Holds, ERA, WHIP. Keeper rules are keep up to 5 players, no 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders, 2 rounds of inflation per year, and you can only keep a guy twice.

You can take a look at all the teams here. The team you'd be taking over is Charlie's Hustlers.

Speaking of that league, I can't decide between Brian Dozier (16) or Corey Seager (25) for my fifth keeper :v:

Already Keeping Pollock, Machado, Sano, and Schwarber. Yes I would double up on SS if I keep Seager but we also have a MI slot. Also this would be the last time I can keep Dozier, but Seager I could still keep next year.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Your Dozier fetish is showing again... ;)

Can't really go too wrong with either one, but I'd take Seager personally. 25th round and that extra year for someone that could be a top 40-50 player...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Your Dozier fetish is showing again... ;)

Can't really go too wrong with either one, but I'd take Seager personally. 25th round and that extra year for someone that could be a top 40-50 player...

It's sort of a devil you know vs devil you don't situation. Dozier will give me 20 dingers, 90 runs, 15 steals, hit around .250, ops around .775. Seager has the potential to do that but he could also fall into a sophmore slump and not even come close. :shrug:

At the moment I have it set as Seager anyway, but I wanted more opinions.

Also it's not a Dozier fetish when I'm right about how good he is :colbert:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jay Bruce to Toronto?

:getin:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I have the third pick in Yahoo Standard scoring 12 team rotis. Would I be crazy to grab Machado there?

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Doltos posted:

I have the third pick in Yahoo Standard scoring 12 team rotis. Would I be crazy to grab Machado there?

After Trout and Harper, he's as good a bet as any.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

IMB posted:

After Trout and Harper, he's as good a bet as any.

Luckily they let me get Harper so I didn't have the tough choice. Now right now I'm waiting for my fourth round pick after snapping up Harper - Betts - Springer. Springer was a tough choice over him, Marte, and J.D. Martinez but I just like saying Springer Dinger to myself.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Monday_ posted:

That keeping a guy twice thing is really unfortunate for me; Arenado (15th), Frazier (21st), and deGrom (23rd) are all going to be ineligible to keep after this season.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ok finished the draft and got this team in YahooPro20 standard settings rotis:

C - Salvador Perez
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Jonathan Schoop
SS - Starlin Castro
3B - Todd Frazier
OF - Bryce Harper
OF - Mookie Betts
OF - George Springer
Util - Eric Hosmer
Util - Gregory Polanco
BN - Kyle Seager
BN - Brandon Belt
BN - Khris Davis
BN - Howie Kendrick

SP - Carlos Carrasco
SP - Tyson Ross
RP - Keone Kela
RP - Corey Knebel
P - Raisel Iglesias
P - Taijuan Walker
P - Patrick Corbin
P - Kyle Hendricks
BN - Wei-Yin Chen

I'm super happy with my starting pitchers and OFers. I have insurance/trade bait with Belt and Hosmer on Freeman's wrist, and managed to pick up two decent sleeper middle infielders late with Schoop and Castro. I'm obviously punting saves but drat my starting pitching is the tits for how late I drafted it.

Also since I don't trust Kela or Knebel at all are any of these guys on the waiver better prospective pick ups to eventually get the starting closer gigs?

Doltos fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 24, 2016

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Wilhelmsen is the projected closer I think (though he's pretty bad too) and if you have the room to stash Ottavino he will definitely be the closer again at some point, possibly later this year if he's pitching well after returning. The Rockies REALLY like him, don't think I've ever seen a contract extension go to someone that just had a TJS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Shawn Tolleson should be the closer. I might consider picking up Ryan Madson because Doolittle 1. Is injury prone and 2. has a funny name.

Good choice getting Iglesias and Walker- their 2nd half stats were pretty solid, but masked by bad first halves.

So here's a fun challenge for me:

I was home sick and drafted a few teams out of boredom. Actual leagues, not mock drafts. I like the idea of being lazy and min/maxing stats in H2H so I went all in on SP for W, K, ERA, WHIP, with some mid tier closers. Then just AVG and SB for hitters. That should be a 7 - 3 win every week, and if I struggle and go 5 - 5, I will have the AVG tiebreaker.

Well, I accidentally did that in a roto league.

Standard roto, 8 team:

C: dropped
1B: dropped
2B: Jose Altuve
3B: Josh Harrison
SS: Xander Bogaerts
CI: Matt Duffy
MI: DJ LeMahieu
OF: Charlie Blackmon, Lorenzo Cain, Ben Revere, Christian Yelich, Billy Burns
UT: Ender Inciarte
BN: Joe Panik

SP: Clayton Kershaw, Chris Sale, Matt Harvey, Carlos Carrasco, Stephen Strasburg, Jon Lester
RP: Jeurys Familia, David Robertson, Carter Capps, Santiago Casilla, Dellin Betances, Andrew Miller

I think I need to drop Panik, maybe Matt Duffy too and trade away a SP for a power hitter. This should be fun.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 24, 2016

• Locked thread