Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Force of Will is a trading card game wherein you duel against other players, much like Magic, Hearthstone, Yugioh, and Pokemon. Summoning resonators (AKA, creatures, minions, heroes) and casting spells from various fairy tales, mythologies, and even actual history along side the leader of your deck, the ruler, your goal is to reduce your opponent's life total to zero or run him or her out of cards in his or her deck. The game takes several cues from a variety of other popular card games, mostly from Magic, a little bit from everything else. Really, it full on lifted the five color system. If you know how to play Magic, you know about 70% of the rules. If you've played EDH/Commander in Magic, you're about 90% set on the rules. And if you've played Hearthstone or Yugioh, you're 95% ready to go.

In Force of Will, there are three main components to a deck: Your Ruler, who acts as a leader and commander for your deck, the 40 card main deck, which hosts all of your resonators and spells, and a 10 card magic stone deck, which has all of the cards that you'll be using to cast spells with.

Force of Will is still a very young game and has only recently made its English debut in early 2015. While there are tournaments, your best bet for starting is to find a local game shop that supports Force of Will and join the players there.

And yes, the game is very, very anime.

Why should I play this?

Despite its youth, Force of Will has taken a lot of cues from its predecessors, allowing it to carve out a fast paced, decision intensive game with only a few sets. The game is practically built around avoiding a lot of issues that its various inspirations are plagued with and developing a new meta with it. One innovation includes a magic stone deck, separate from the main deck, which act exactly like lands from Magic, which you can always play from every turn, avoiding the usual issue of mana screw or flooding.

It also mixes a lot of types cards, creating a lot of depth in how you interact with your opponent. Between passive Rulers who can go active and enter the field and a core mechanic called "chase" AKA the stack that lets you interact with your opponent on his or her own turn, it allow for you to approach deck building and various problems with a multitude of possibilities.

The game is also cheap right now. A good competitive deck can be put together or under a hundred dollars and there's entire expansions dedicated to getting core cards in player's hands. Not to mention, if you want to get your feet wet, the starter decks are both easy to get and hold a number of staple cards as well, so there's really no wrong way to approach the game.

A few resources:

Feel free to suggest any other good resources.

IRC:

Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #fowgoon

I'm generally hanging around on there if nothing else.

Playing it online:

The game is also supported by untap.in if you want to play it online with some friends. There is a LackeyCCG plugin, but it's currently out of date and there's not central source for it. No officially endorsed or automated system actually exists yet, sadly.

Buying Guide:

Much like Magic, the game has a standard. Currently we're in the New Frontiers standard which contains two clusters, AKA, yearly blocks, the Alice Cluster and the Grimm Cluster. So if you want to buy something currently supported by most stores, you'll want cards from one of the following sets:
  • Grimm Cluster

• Crimson Moon's Fairy Tale
  • The Castle of Heaven and The Two Towers
  • The Moon Priestess Returns
  • The Millennia of Ages
  • Vingolf Series: Engage Knights

• Alice Cluster

• The Seven Kings of the Lands
  • The Twilight Wanderer

That said, if you're just starting out, the best place to start to start is with a starter deck. The Alice Cluster actually has five of them and the best part is starter decks in this game don't suck! You'll actually have a bunch of nice staples in any given starter deck.
  • Faria, the Sacred Queen and Melgis, the Flame King
  • Arla, the Winged Lord
  • Machina, the Machine Lord
  • Pricia, the Beast Lady
  • Rezzard, the Undead Lord
  • Valentina, the Princess of Love

After that, if you decide you like the game, the best place to go is probably the Vingolf Series, which loaded with staples that are key in just about any competitive deck. We're talking things like dual colored stones (AKA, like Magic's dual lands and if you know what those are, you know why that's a big deal).

Card Types:

Rulers (left) are the leaders of your deck, AKA Commander. They will sit separate from the remainder of your cards. You can turn them sideways to play magic stones from your magic stone deck and use other abilities they may have. Your opponent also cannot interact with a ruler in this current state. However, you can use a Ruler's J-Activate or Judgement ability to flip them to become a J-Ruler (right). These cards will be directly on the battlefield and possible for your opponent to interact with. However, they also tend to come with far more powerful abilities and can now actually punch your opponent in the face. However, if your opponent manages to remove him or her, your J-Ruler will go back to being an Astral Ruler, losing all abilities except to tap for more magic stones.

Resonators are minions/creatures/monsters of your deck. They all come with a set attack and defense. Whenever they attack, they'll deal damage equal to their attack and whenever they take damage, if they take damage that exceeds their defense on any given turn, they go to the graveyard. They can also come with a wide variety of abilities that are both constant or need to be activated. When it comes to other resonators, they can block other resonators by turning themselves sideways AKA resting themselves or attack other rested resonators.

Spell: Chants are, well, spells. You can play them on your own main phases or at any time if they're instant. They usually do whatever they do on the spot and then go to your graveyard.

Spell: Chant-Standby are basically traps from Yugioh. You can pay two of any will to lay them face down, where upon, when the trigger occurs, you can flip it face up to activate its ability.

Additions are enchantments, continuous spells, etc. They come in a few different varieties, namely additions that go directly onto the field or can be attached to resonators or J-Rulers you control, but either way, they will give a constant effect.

Regalia are artifacts, usually taking the form of some sort of tool your Ruler uses. They're void of all colors and generally cost 0 to play.

Additional Tips:

If you're coming from Magic, there's a few catches in this game that are just weirdly different enough to catch you off guard. Luckily, someone else already got that covered for me:

Archenteron posted:

There's a few other not-quite-Magic rule quirks FoW has. Off the top of my head: Summoning Sickness ends on your opponent's turn. not your turn; First Strike only works if the creature is attacking; "Banish" is sacrifice and not exile (This is more just a word assumption and not an actual mechanics change, but it catches people a lot); if you attack, get blocked, and kill the blocker before combat damage, your attack goes through again; deathtouch (Explode) kills both creatures all the time (usually not a major point since the few things with Explode are tiny); and a trample(Pierce)/attacking interaction: If you attack a creature and aren't blocked, the two creatures deal damage to each other normally. If you attack a creature (and have Pierce) and are blocked, the carryover damage goes to the target attacked creature, but the attacked creature wont hit you back.

The Magic Player's Translation Guide:

If you're like me, you probably came form Magic. Even at my store, a lot of people call various things within the game by their equivalent Magic terms. Here's something to help you out:

Addition -- Enchantment
Attack -- Power
Attribute -- Color (Light, Water, Darkness, Fire, and Wind are White, Blue, Black, Red, and Green)
Attribute Cost -- Mana Cost
Awakening -- Kicker
Banish -- Sacrifice
Battle -- Combat
Call -- No equivalent Magic turn, it's when you rest your ruler to put a magic stone from your magic stone deck onto the field.
Cancel -- Counter a spell or ability
Chant -- Sorcery
Chant-Instant -- Instant
Chant-Standby -- No Magic equivalent, but it's traps from Yugioh or Hearthstone
Chase -- Stack
Continuous Ability -- Static Ability
Defense -- Toughness
Enter -- Enter the battlefield. Note this only works if the card came from your hand, is your Ruler becoming a J-Ruler, or otherwise specified. Bringing a resonator back from the dead will not actually trigger the enter ability.
Explode -- Deathtouch, but it kills both creatures when they're in combat.
First Strike -- Also first strike from Magic but only works when attacking.
J/Resonator -- Any creature, including J-Rulers (your commander) and Resonators (non-commanders)
J-Ruler -- Your commander on the battlefield.
Magic Stone -- Land
Normal Spell -- Non-creature/Non-resonator spell
Pierce -- Trample
Quickcast -- Flash
Recovered -- Untapped
Regalia -- Artifact
Remove from the game -- Exile
Resonator -- Non-commander creatures
Rest -- Tap
Ruler -- Your commander while it sits on the command zone.
Swiftness -- Haste
Target Attack -- No direct term for Magic, but it lets your resonator attack untapped resonators.
Trigger -- Conditions that must be fulfilled to active your Chant-Standby/Trap cards.

I think that's it for the opening post? Feel free to suggest anything else to add.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
What is the rotation/set arrangement like? A lot of "other" CCGs (Pokemon, Yugioh, Cardfight Vanguard) are, well, a little obtuse on the set rotation/card rarity front.

That said, I've heard that FoW feels a lot like MTG Legacy. Any thoughts on that?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Card rarity currently works like it does in Magic. You've got commons, uncommons, rares, and super rares which are mythics. No one's really quit sure what the ratios are but I think they're roughly the same as Magic? I'd need to do more research on that since I haven't exactly been busting too many packs open.

As for formats, there's two varieties: Origins and New Frontiers. Origins is every set ever and is Force of Will's Legacy. New Frontiers is Force of Will's standard. It contains two clusters and rotates out one every year, meaning that a cluster will be in rotation for two years. A cluster is just the equivalent to a block in Magic, it's a group of sets that belong to a particular story arc or setting, usually four sets plus whatever is in starter decks.

In order to catch up people in the West to what was going on in Japan, we essentially skipped over the first cluster, Valhalla, and started with the Grimm cluster and have now moved into the Alice cluster.

The Grimm Cluster contains:
  • The Crimson Moon Fairy Tale
  • The Castle of Heaven and the Two Towers
  • The Moon Priestess Returns
  • The Millennia of Ages
  • Vingolf series - Engage Knights

The Alice Cluster so far contains:
  • The Seven Kings of the Lands
  • The Twilight Wanderer

Now as for the MTG Legacy question, that's a bit harder to explain. I'll start off by saying the meta game is not really much like either Legacy or Modern, but it does take a similar level of strategy and thinking as Legacy at the moment.

See, on a competitive level, every deck in the game is a tempo deck in addition to being an aggro, midrange, control, or combo deck. This is mostly due to the fact that it's designed to continually ramp every turn for the first several turns. Since you can guarantee a Magic Stone every turn, the equivalent to a land in Magic, without it clogging up your draw, you will not draw into dead cards and will always have more resources to work with next turn if you choose.

In addition, mulliganing works differently from Magic. You can choose any number of cards from your starting five card hand, put them on the bottom of your main deck, and then draw that many more. This really lets you sculpt out your starting hand and a lot of the game, if not all it, is going to be determined by that.

This is part of why green has gotten counterspells and similar tempo tools since if functioned like it did in Magic, it would not have the necessary tools to be even remotely competitive. So each turn has a lot of focus on predicting what your opponent will do next turn and deciding on how to plan and react to that.

The combat system also feeds into this sort of pace a lot. Since your resonators/creatures can attack other rested/tapped resonators, it is perfectly possible to let the game spiral out of your control if you don't interact with your opponent enough. However, it does this without snowballing out of control like Hearthstone often does since you can still block in the system with recovered/untapped resonators.

Add on the fact that there are a handful of limited free spells, modular cards, and a Ruler card which will cause swings in the pacing of the game and there's a lot of decisions each turn. So yeah, it's on the level of Legacy in terms of decisions but doesn't really play much like Legacy just due to where the mechanics are focused.

Also, as a side note, there is a brainstorm equivalent in Force of Will for one mana more. I don't think it gets used all that much though, particularly since Force of Will is pretty light on shuffle effects. I assume that's another choice to help the games stay fast paced.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 11, 2015

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Am I reading that right in that there are five sets per cluster? And each cluster comes out over a year?

How rare/mythic heavy do Tier 1 decks tend to be?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Am I reading that right in that there are five sets per cluster? And each cluster comes out over a year?

It doesn't particularly matter due to the ridiculous foiling process this game uses. You have basic foiling, then you have the even more rare stamped foils that can only appear on rares and higher (I think). Finally there's the uber rare, which is like the SDCC planeswalker set design wise.

Combined with the very high incidence of foilage per pack, the unfoiled versions tend to drop in price and the expensive stuff is focused on the bling

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 11, 2015

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

PJOmega posted:

Having just started in the last month (hopped over from Magic as well) I was very surprised at how cheap even the rare heavy decks are- it seems due to the small number of cards each set there's a lot of non-foil rares and Super Rares being opened, which drastically cuts down on the price- some players will just give you non-foil rares and super rares since they're worth so little (outside of a few select cards), and if you open a foil or 'stamped' rare you can expect to trade it for a good bunch of cards. If you're not interested in pimping out your deck with foils I would say sub $70-80 would be a proper competitive deck with four-ofs of everything.

The new precons that come out this week are full of good playsets of cards as well, so if you're interested they're a good starting point!

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Having just started in the last month (hopped over from Magic as well) I was very surprised at how cheap even the rare heavy decks are- it seems due to the small number of cards each set there's a lot of non-foil rares and Super Rares being opened, which drastically cuts down on the price- some players will just give you non-foil rares and super rares since they're worth so little (outside of a few select cards), and if you open a foil or 'stamped' rare you can expect to trade it for a good bunch of cards. If you're not interested in pimping out your deck with foils I would say sub $70-80 would be a proper competitive deck with four-ofs of everything.

The new precons that come out this week are full of good playsets of cards as well, so if you're interested they're a good starting point!

I am also very new and I was shocked at how cheap everything is compared to magic, as well as how many cards that are just straight up the same card as one in magic.

Example, I have been interested in a blue deck (because blue is the best colour, obviously) and here is just a few I have found (some are less obvious than others)

Crime of Wave and Abandon - Remand
Invasion Ship, Golden Hind - Vedalken Shackles (as a field spell)
Laying the Foundation - Brainstorm
Send Back - Unsummon
Charm of the Princess - X mana Mind Control
Foresee - Divination
Sailor of Shangri-La - Man-o-War
Squire of the Ocean Lady - Blue Elvish Visionary
Trader of Shangri-La - Merfolk Looter

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Just for clarification, there's four sets, the Vingolf Series is more a deck builder toolkit to help players catch up. Though it does come with the laziest Ruler in the game.

Never flip, never do any real work, she just sits on her rear and drains your opponent for life.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
What's the meta like?
And how many jojo's are there?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This is the one prominent Jojo and he is played often as a sweet sideboard card. His name is Blazer:

I play the death and taxes/robots analogue in this game (Red Machina) so I don't know much about the meta cuz you just smash faces either way.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

What's the meta like?
And how many jojo's are there?

The meta is pretty wide open since there isn't a ton of people working on it. However, red is really over represented at the moment since it's aggressively punishing in a game all about tempo. Plus it has some really good removal options and some particularly powerful rulers. And lucky for you, it's the color of JoJos as well.

The evil clown's card

I'll toss in Puss in Boots as bonus, even if he's not red.

Look at that suave mother fucker.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

People keep telling me Melgis looks like a Jojo but while he's certainly powerful enough he doesn't have Jojo fashion. I did forget about the cat, though. That cat is p Jojo - it's almost a copy of Caesar Zepelli. :3:

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

This is the one prominent Jojo and hets/ is played often as a sweet sideboard card. His name is Blazer

He's much more than a sideboard card you should checkout Blazer Knights/Cthulus.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

People keep telling me Melgis looks like a Jojo but while he's certainly powerful enough he doesn't have Jojo fashion. I did forget about the cat, though. That cat is p Jojo - it's almost a copy of Caesar Zepelli. :3:

Yeah, I suppose Melgis is more a Berserk-esque character, even down to his mechanics. Still, red in this game is the color of overly manly men.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 11, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Would any goons be interested in some online games within the weekend? IRC room is mostly empty, and I can't be the only one who wouldn't mind some "hands-on" play to get it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Just played against Serperoth with the Faria and Melgis starter deck. Faria can do all sorts fancy, brutal tricks with Excalibur, it's kind of ridiculous.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ramos posted:

Just played against Serperoth with the Faria and Melgis starter deck. Faria can do all sorts fancy, brutal tricks with Excalibur, it's kind of ridiculous.

Also, if you play the Melgis deck, Turn 4 Lancelot into Hector de Maris with that 1-mana 400 damage spell in hand is pretty good to clear the board.

And then Faria comes down and Wrecks My poo poo :negative:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What are good decks that are based around big creatures/Resonators? I think that was what green did in Magic? I never played enough of it to know if that's how it worked out in practice but I think it ostensibly was at least.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Countblanc posted:

What are good decks that are based around big creatures/Resonators? I think that was what green did in Magic? I never played enough of it to know if that's how it worked out in practice but I think it ostensibly was at least.

None of the colors really possess any more raw efficiency than any other as far as resonators are concerned. That said, I think this deck might be what you're looking for. By sacrificing your own creatures, you can get out really big dudes, letting it be a sort of combo deck that gets big in the late game.

Also, if this game isn't Japanese enough for you, that deck is a cthulhu tribal deck. There is no Cthulhu in the game. They are not called eldritch abominations. They're all just cthulhus.

edit: For further research, here's every card in the game that uses the word "cthulhu".

Ramos fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 11, 2015

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Since the new set released this weekend has there been any rough lists of decks with the new cards yet?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Since the new set released this weekend has there been any rough lists of decks with the new cards yet?

There's this article that I found.

The short of it is Morgiana and R&R is crazy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One thing I've always wondered, what is with games like this adding useless zeroes to values? Like is it an ego thing because dealing 500 damage feels better than 5 damage?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

One thing I've always wondered, what is with games like this adding useless zeroes to values? Like is it an ego thing because dealing 500 damage feels better than 5 damage?

It's more dramatic. YGO wouldn't have been nearly as cool if the protagonist shouted "I DEAL 5 DAMAGE!" instead of 5000 DAMAGE.

I would like to see a FOW anime, yeah.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Big numbers are cool basically. Really big numbers can get confusing, but 100-1500 is pretty simple. The only time I've had issue with it in anime games is when someone insists on saying "ok I have 15 life left." no you don't motherfucker you have 1500. gently caress you.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Three reasons:

1. Greater number flexibility. Magic always had this issue of Lightning Bolt for 3 damage being too much but Shock for 2 damage being too little. Since the conversion rate for numbers from FoW to Magic is 200:1, we've got Thunder, which would deal 2.5 damage in Magic, something Magic cannot actually have.

2. Legal reasons. Since this is similar to Magic, there's different steps you need to take to make it just different enough. Hex recently had a few changes to its system due to the case with Wizards including that none of its heroes could start with 20 life, they instead range from 12 to 28, so long as they aren't 20.

3. Yeah, big numbers feel good.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

I've been playing this game for a few months now and it's pretty fun.

How do you guys think Reflect and Refrain are going to affect the game? They seem really powerful and if you can hit Morgiana first turn their filtering is just insane. They work in every archetype and while you lose a little of the punch you get with Bahamut or Sylvia in an aggro deck and Vlad's built-in win condition in control the flexibility and consistency is kind of scary.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Chill la Chill posted:

It's more dramatic. YGO wouldn't have been nearly as cool if the protagonist shouted "I DEAL 5 DAMAGE!" instead of 5000 DAMAGE.

I would like to see a FOW anime, yeah.

In the anime, it'd be pretty lame if the life total counter ticked down 3 numbers instead of doing that rapidly decreasing effect that you only do with big numbers(what is that called anyway)

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

How do you guys think Reflect and Refrain are going to affect the game? They seem really powerful and if you can hit Morgiana first turn their filtering is just insane. They work in every archetype and while you lose a little of the punch you get with Bahamut or Sylvia in an aggro deck and Vlad's built-in win condition in control the flexibility and consistency is kind of scary.

Along with him/her's Regalia Reflect/Refrain seems to be a bit weaker to a J/Ruler rush down deck like Bahamut or Sylvia, so I wonder if the metagame will shift to R&R, and decks that prey on R&R.

Having drafted and played some sealed here's my first impressions on some Light cards to pick for limited/sealed purposes:

Light MVPS

Arthur Pendragon, King of the Round Table - This is the card to be in Light for. It's nigh-unkillable outside of a few cards, and even if your opponent does it's often at a massive disadvantage to them. Fits into any light deck, good stats for a 5 cost resonator and can keep your other creatures alive. The holy grail of bombs.

Elaine, The Fairy- A 400/400 Flying for 2 is already very solid, and the fact that she searches for an Addition- Protection of the fairies as well when she comes into play means she''s a great 2-for-1. Add the +200/+000 to all other Fairies you control clause and you have the Fairy archetype's backbone. Kill on sight, or you will get overrun.

Viviane, Lady of the Lake- Good stats and Flying for a 3 cost and a very scary Overrun effect anytime you drop a fairy. The ability to drop fairies during your opponent's turn is great for throwing off combat math and killing your opponents out of nowhere.

Gawain, the Knight of the Sun - 2 Drop with a good defence, and the ability to rest Resonators during combat is nuts on offense and defense. Pick this early if you want to play knights, but I've found it fits into Faeries quite well too since it removes flying blockers.

Grand Cross- Removal is always good, and permanent removal is even better. The only downside is it doesn't always hit what you want and is Chant speed, but most of the time this will take care of your opponent's best card.

Fairy of the Lake- A very resonable 500/500 for 2, and flying means it's great on offense or defense. I'll take 3!

Protection of the Fairies - This addition is amazing in Fairies, and very good in other combinations. +200/+200 for one is good, but it's the ability to prevent all damage done to any Resonator that makes this good. A great early game drop and alright top-deck to break through, 2 is a good number, as anymore will open you up to a 2-for-1 from your opponents, especially in blue.

The Final Word- Efficient, swingy removal at uncommon. Watch out for opponents who leave one White open, or have a removal spell in hand to deal with the blocker.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

From my very limited testing and experience, R/R are at such a higher power level than most rulers that they will absolutely warp the meta.

At the very least I expect to see Blazer Gill take a serious hit.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Just got back from my store's Force of Will night. R&R kicks tremendous rear end in both a control shell and a tempo shell. Just get to five or six stones, some builds even only needed four, and you're just good to go for the rest of the game.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

This is the deck that took the first TTW ARG yesterday. Went undefeated all day.

The horn and speaker infinite is insane, and Cat > Cat > Adombrali shows you 36 cards from your deck.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sheesh. I went with a green red black build, which, well, is generally a bit more straight forward. If I got this right, Horn of Sacred Beasts shuffles itself back in? If so, that's stupid levels of amazingly awesome for an engine.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 13, 2015

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Yeah it will be in the discards when it resolves.

Dark Alice can disrupt that combo really bad but the deck doesn't even really need to go infinite to win. Even two Alice's Worlds with a Gwiber on board will do a lot and getting the four in your deck isn't hard at all. I think the cinch point in keeping the deck down is clearing the board so they can't play world turn 4 or 5.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I am still wrapping my head around the actual game mechanics, but I must say, there is something inherently awesome in a game where you can have King Arthur and Puss in Boots duke it out.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

This is the deck that took the first TTW ARG yesterday. Went undefeated all day.

The horn and speaker infinite is insane, and Cat > Cat > Adombrali shows you 36 cards from your deck.

Here's the rest of the Top 8- 5/8 decks were packing Reflect/Refrain, mostly aggro shells with a Yamato Orochi reanimator in there. Is it time for a Bahamut comeback since it looks like the R&R twin's only weakness seems to be very aggresive decks and J/Rulers?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am still wrapping my head around the actual game mechanics, but I must say, there is something inherently awesome in a game where you can have King Arthur and Puss in Boots duke it out.

This is why MTG should still have squirrels, drat it.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Here's the rest of the Top 8- 5/8 decks were packing Reflect/Refrain, mostly aggro shells with a Yamato Orochi reanimator in there. Is it time for a Bahamut comeback since it looks like the R&R twin's only weakness seems to be very aggresive decks and J/Rulers?

Yeah, that's my thought as well. I built that deck, though I'm playing Silvia at the moment to see how she feels in it. Seems to work well right now, I have a feeling mainboarding Split will be really good for a couple weeks here.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Well I got a Reflect deck mostly finished in the main, it's done some nasty stuff in testing

Ruler: R/R

Main Deck

4 Hunter in Black Forest
4 Rukh Egg
4 Guinevere, the Jealous Queen
4 Perceval, the Seeker of the Holy Grail
4 Lancelot, the Knight of the Mad Demon
4 Cthugha, the Living Flame
2 Hector de Maris, the Acolyte of Mad Demon
1 Phoenix, the Flame of the World
4 Thunder
1 Flame King's Shout
1 Split Heaven and Earth
4 Change the World, Orb of Illusion
3 Laevateinn, the Demon's Sword

Magic Stone Deck

1 Little Red, the Pure Stone
1 Magic Stone of the Moon Shade
4 Magic Stone of Blasting Wave
4 Magic Stone of Heat Ray

Deck is nuts. Generally start the game with Hunter/Rukh Egg into Cthugha with Pump from Reflect, follow up with either Lance or more haste/Thunders, then after I have 3 stones out I Judgment into Refrain and bounce their blockers or just Tutor up for Price of Progress. Turn 4 kills arent uncommon, especially if I can get Change the World out early. Haven't quite figured out the board yet

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

A big flaming stink posted:

Well I got a Reflect deck mostly finished in the main, it's done some nasty stuff in testing

That's a pretty tight list, but just curious were Artemis Bows not great in your testing? And I guess the Triple Laevateinn is there to combo with the Phoenix?

And did you find if you had trouble with any match ups in particular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Laevitaen was to make sure refrain could use her abilities the turn she flips. The bows might be necessary, but in general i want as little interaction with opponent as possible. I don't need them to remove blockers because refrains bounce does the same thing.

Im kind of down on the hunters. Might cut them for something like snow white or maindeck regalia hate

• Locked thread