Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Ramos posted:

We got some (really fast) errata for bondage lady.

BBB2, Remove this card in your graveyard from the game: Destroy target resonator.
BM, Remove this card in your graveyard from the game: Your opponent discards a card.

From late game value maker to worth a couple of quarters. She's still a 6/6 for 2 though, so she's better than she looks from the abilities alone.

Man how did they even make this translation error :raise: well at at least you can play this in Lumia control now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I find it a little sad that they didn't go with "rotting corpse Izanami" like in the actual myth.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

I find it a little sad that they didn't go with "rotting corpse Izanami" like in the actual myth.

They could have made her a Ruler and gave her the same treatment Persona 4 did. One side normal-looking woman in white vaguely funeral-shroud looking robes, other side horrible rotting abomination unto God.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Randalor posted:

They could have made her a Ruler and gave her the same treatment Persona 4 did. One side normal-looking woman in white vaguely funeral-shroud looking robes, other side horrible rotting abomination unto God.

She's still had bondage-y designs even in Shin Megami Tensei though. The whole thing is still silly since the "sealed" bit of her story was just that a boulder got really wedged into the entrance of the realm of the dead and so she got stuck in there. Unsurprisingly, this made her very angry and bitter.

I might as well tune into the QA stream later this week and ask Jordan Blanco about the process for developing art for the cards and their choices in portrayal of characters like Izanami. You know, worded to get some answers about the matter without setting him on guard or whatever. I need to get some translation issues with Gwiber ironed out anyway.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ramos posted:

She's still had bondage-y designs even in Shin Megami Tensei though. The whole thing is still silly since the "sealed" bit of her story was just that a boulder got really wedged into the entrance of the realm of the dead and so she got stuck in there. Unsurprisingly, this made her very angry and bitter.

I did specify Persona 4 for a reason. There, she's just wearing (non-revealing) stylized white robes when you talk to her. I'm phone posting so I can't get a good picture for what I'm talking about, and I've now found out people have some... interesting (read: :nws:) fan art of her.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
To be fair, she would have been utterly, ridiculously broken with her original rule set. Illusionary Demonic Globe, the Earth, one darkness will, and she forces your opponent to discard a card every turn. You kill their hand (or they play it out) and as long as you could keep cards milled into your yard, they were locked out of the game.

Now, she's a 2 mana 6/6 with a 4 mana instant speed kill spell from the yard. She'll be forgotten about and kill something juicy and probably win the game for you.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Are there primers for the more popular decks, like r/r Alice's World combo?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Are there primers for the more popular decks, like r/r Alice's World combo?

You'll need to google around, but yeah, there are primers for the at least the tournament winning decks usually sitting around somewhere. For brews, the answer is more iffy. Here's an article on R&R Alice's World by one of the best players at the moment. I've met the guy, he knows what he's talking about.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

SPOILERS! And they're so much better this time around.

The article

The cards.

Thumbelina belongs to Valkyrie Alice, no question about it, even though with Yggdrasil coming in soon, I don't know if the meta will be slow enough for it. Dying Swallow on the other hand, likely belongs to Grimm. And if you're not Grimm and using this (for some reason), it probably means you're grabbing a second Swallow and two more Cheshire Cats.

And Dance of Inspiration is probably just the best blue instant in the game to date. Double blocks, double attacks, double rest abilities. Double Drill Sergeant triggers.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 16, 2016

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So my friend gave us his copy of Alice in Wonderland last night and our order of two Vingolf sets arrived on Monday. What cards work well with Alice in Wonderland? I'm tempted to tell her to run Shakespeares and go with 1 each of the dual-mana stones so every Shakespeare effectively reads "when this comes into play, put the top card of your mana stone deck into play". I imagine the cards from the Vingolf set that get bonuses from running multiple colors would also be good. Is there any other good cards she should look at if she wants to take full advantage of Alice's Judgement ability?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Aside from the obvious one, Moojdart, the big thing to remember about Alice is that you don't need to necessarily have all five colors to make her good. She does read: Pay one fire to do 1000 damage to a resonator and get a 700/700. However, getting all five colors online is the fun part about her, so let's get to that...

That said, when I originally got into the game and managed to pull an Alice, I also did the same thing with Shakespeare. I found the best way to go about it was focus on a stone base with two colors. That means two stones of the two major colors you're using, and then one of each of the remaining stones that share a color with the primary colors you're working with. That should give you ten stones, the most consistency with your Shakespeares (unless you swap one out with just a single color stone), and the ability to safely work with two particular colors. From there, it should be alright to splash for other colors lightly, especially if you're running Ryoma.

Other cards that produce will of any attribute include Spawn of Blazer (though dragons mostly come in red), Fiethsing, and, of course, Little Red Stone. Socrates works well Leonardo da Vinci and Pricia, Beast Queen in Hiding. Whirlpool of Knowledge can more or less draw you five cards. If you're absolutely desperate for fixing, check out House of the Old Man.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, apparently the website is having a lot of issues updating for whatever reason. So instead of choking to death, it's just doing nothing. The Facebook page had the new spoilers though:

http://imgur.com/a/zQ6kV

Looks like they're making "removed from the game" a second graveyard.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
If Magic is doing it...

Those particular resonators look pretty crazy if you can trigger 10 cards in exile, especially the 10/10 for 1 with swiftness.

Edit: Also spoiled on Facebook via quest cards,

"Wall of Wind"
G, Spell Chant-Instant.

Cancel target spell unless your opponent pays 1.

So, Force Spike is freaking sweet.

And...

"Space-Time Anomoly"
UB, Spell Chant-Instant

Remnant
Target j/resonator gets -5/-5 until end of turn. Draw a card.

Also a bonkers as gently caress card.

Tanon fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 19, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I can't wait until this game gets its equivalent Eldrazi. I hope they are kawaii and sugoi and utterly break the game. :getin:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a resource that lists the source of all the playmats? Apparently mats are also given out in tournaments? My friend and I were looking for an equivalent mat that was only released as part of a buy-3 bundle so we could get a better idea of how much to value the Kaguya mat.

I look on eBay and I can't tell what's a promo mat or where they came from.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tanon posted:

If Magic is doing it...

Those particular resonators look pretty crazy if you can trigger 10 cards in exile, especially the 10/10 for 1 with swiftness.

Edit: Also spoiled on Facebook via quest cards,

"Wall of Wind"
G, Spell Chant-Instant.

Cancel target spell unless your opponent pays 1.

So, Force Spike is freaking sweet.

And...

"Space-Time Anomoly"
UB, Spell Chant-Instant

Remnant
Target j/resonator gets -5/-5 until end of turn. Draw a card.

Also a bonkers as gently caress card.

For the facebook illiterate, where are these quest cards at? And also yeah, I'd love to see both of those cards.

Chill la Chill posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a resource that lists the source of all the playmats? Apparently mats are also given out in tournaments? My friend and I were looking for an equivalent mat that was only released as part of a buy-3 bundle so we could get a better idea of how much to value the Kaguya mat.

I look on eBay and I can't tell what's a promo mat or where they came from.

Can't say I know about that, but I've also been talking with one of the writers of Grinning Remnant. Considering that he knows everything ever about every collectible card in the game and then some, he might have some knowledge on playmats?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

http://imgur.com/a/IBOAl

Found the cards. Including what Tanon mentioned, we also have Puppet Soldier and Heart Stirring Sage. Also, Space-Time Anomaly has Remnant, which is nuts and I managed to miss that the first time going over Tanon's post.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 19, 2016

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Heart-Stirring Sage is a dumb, dumb card. Yamata, anyone?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

He's good with Yamata, but I think it's going to be more practical along side the likes of Little Red's granny and that darkness witch we saw earlier.

Also, we haven't had too many resonators with attack greater than toughness, but he could be useful there as well.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Posting spoilers as I trip upon them:

Not really feeling it for this card. Even if the mana slows down a ton, it's competing with Gretel, there are two drops with 6/6 stats, and lots of other stuff. I think she's just limited fodder.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Literally, it's just look at the shinies. The awakening mode only really matters if you're trying to land more counters on Kaguya or if you're against another wind deck with counterspells. Even then, this really only helps against threats, using it to counter a counterspell still leaves your original spell open to be countered again. Also, a lot of Kaguya's cards that we know of are very proactive at the moment. It's a good card but I'm not sure if it has a home.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I almost spit my drink out at Space-Time Anomaly having Remnant, but then I remembered -5/-5 isn't as a good in this game as it is in Magic. Still insane to have a cantrip on a Remnant card though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

A big flaming stink posted:

I almost spit my drink out at Space-Time Anomaly having Remnant, but then I remembered -5/-5 isn't as a good in this game as it is in Magic. Still insane to have a cantrip on a Remnant card though.

In Magic this card would do -3/-3 (Thunder is basically FoW's Bolt and it does 500). Still pretty good since it draws and each copy represents 2 uses.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sadly though, it's not quite hitting the crucial level of 600 to deal with a lot of the new two drops we're seeing. It'll still likely see play, but it's not necessarily a 4 for 1 like everyone thinks.

By the way, new article. Beasts currently suck and so we made them not suck by added red to it. Woo.

Also, this reddit topic has a compilation of all the cards revealed through the quest mail stuff so far.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 23, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ramos posted:

Sadly though, it's not quite hitting the crucial level of 600 to deal with a lot of the new two drops we're seeing. It'll still likely see play, but it's not necessarily a 4 for 1 like everyone thinks.

By the way, new article. Beasts currently suck and so we made them not suck by added red to it. Woo.

Also, this reddit topic has a compilation of all the cards revealed through the quest mail stuff so far.

Lol at that article calling Yggdrasil a slow deck and not just 100% The First Lie cheating Alice into play.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcAC6kzUEAAv3Jj.jpg

Goddammit Fire.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ramos posted:

Wait, the quest cleared cards are some sort of promotion? Did I miss out already? :O

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Chill la Chill posted:

Wait, the quest cleared cards are some sort of promotion? Did I miss out already? :O

Yeah, the Quest cards were a promotion you signed up for on the website a few weeks ago.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Aw, OK. I'll just settle for the kaguya playmat I guess.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

:drat:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Now that's a three drop. Get the gently caress out snow white. Get 4 of dees into my Red Rush R/R

It's last ability alone is insanely good, but it pumps itself whenever you take damage? Jeez, it's like multikicker

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Just starting driving home from score keeping the Dallas AGP. It was fun, but I'm drat tired now. Judge comp was laughable, but that's not Rob's fault. Playset of Artemis promos, playset of Little Dread promos, and the playmat. Time to sleep!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just picked up the duel starter deck with the red and white guys. Not too many people around here play this game, but it seems interesting.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Tanon posted:

Just starting driving home from score keeping the Dallas AGP. It was fun, but I'm drat tired now. Judge comp was laughable, but that's not Rob's fault. Playset of Artemis promos, playset of Little Dread promos, and the playmat. Time to sleep!

Would there be anywhere we could see the results? :)

Terrene
May 1, 2009
What goes on at a pre-release exactly? I'm really new to the FoW scene.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Terrene posted:

What goes on at a pre-release exactly? I'm really new to the FoW scene.

You get 6 boosters with which to construct a 20 card deck, along with an 8 mana stones deck.

If you don't open a ruler you're given a proxy ruler called 'Clockwork Magic Furnace' with the following abilities:

Clockwork Magic Furnace

The first time you call for a Magic Stone each game, you may instead search your Magic Stone Deck for a Magic Stone and put it into your Magic Stone Area. This replacement occurs only once per game.
Judgement (4)

J-Ruler Side
Pierce
1000/800

Some prerelease general tips:

If you haven't played Magic:the Gathering before here's some types of cards to look out for:

1) Bomb Resonators/ Spells that are swingy when you cast them, eg the new Valentina that gains control of a Resonator.
2) Removal Spells, eg. Luminescent Bamboo Bullet. Note there is a lot of Resonators that double as removal spells, so you'll definitely want to play those or at the very least side them in.
3) Combat Tricks, eg Kaguya's Premonition, that allow you catch your opponent off guard or trade with stronger resonators.
4) Dual Colour Stones, as are they allow you to be much more flexible with your mana base, not to mention you can always search for them first turn with the Clockwork Magic Furnance.

Feel free to ask any other questions!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Do you have to use a J-ruler you open or can you use the default one?

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw7SUeVuf8uhRHI0dHpWbS1hdEU/view

There's a link to the top 8 decklists, and the standings at the end of swiss. Dan got first, Antyn was second, Eric got third, and Ken got fourth. 265 players overall, which was pretty fantastic considering we were 3.5 hours away from a 1500+ player MTG Grand Prix. I can't make Richmond, but I should be scorekeeping the other 5 AGPs on the continental US (Pittsburgh, Charlotte, St. Louis, Orlando, and Providence). If you can make it to them, come say hello!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

One Split Heaven and Earth in the top 8, there's your issue.

Anyway, with all of the sporadic quest clear cards flying about, it's been a bit hard to keep up. Here's the full list so far though, minus Athena. She was there for a while though before being taken down, presumably because the main site wants to unveil her.

Also, this weekend I'm going to be heading up to Richmond for the tournament up there. Any other goons heading in that direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrene
May 1, 2009

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Feel free to ask any other questions!

Cool, thanks for the info. Game seems fun, but still pretty scarce in my parts. Hopefully that'll change in time.

• Locked thread