Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I had something pithy to say about the whole Ashley debate, but then I remembered that "Remember the Alamo" is something people still say, so I'm pretty sure it's irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

SubponticatePoster posted:

"Oh look here's another randomly generated mountain that's a pain in the rear end to drive over."

I'm pretty sure those mountains weren't randomly generated but painstakingly handcrafted for our maximum enjoyment.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Dr. Buttass posted:

I had something pithy to say about the whole Ashley debate, but then I remembered that "Remember the Alamo" is something people still say, so I'm pretty sure it's irrelevant.

Well, in this case, the Alamo in your analogy is actually still relatively relevant to the ME 'verse.

divedivedive
Jun 6, 2011

There's nothing wrong with playing a soldier. It's that 80% of people never even changed the name, face, or class, just mash "John Shepard" and go.

Ha, well ... I did that, too. For both sexes of Shepard. I could not get a decent looking male or female Shepard worth making - which is to say, I couldn't get anything remotely human looking. So, default male and femshep, down to the given names.

Watching the second video, I know we don't get the full effect of it just yet, but it reminded me how disturbing those Prothean visions get, with the whole meat + metal thing going on. I don't remember that getting a lot of traction in discussions, but it really got under my skin. So to speak.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Regalingualius posted:

Well, in this case, the Alamo in your analogy is actually still relatively relevant to the ME 'verse.

I always though it was funny (in a :bang: sort of way) that the Turians first thought when finding a new race was "Shoot it, follow it back home and shoot it's home".

Yeesh.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

If you're going to be a racist, you might as well be a space racist where the differences between species are real.

Humanity First

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Uh, I believe that's "yoomanity."

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Uh, I believe that's "yoomanity."

my god, it makes perfect sense.

Trump is TIM.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Regalingualius posted:

It's more that she became massively blander than she is in ME1, save for a couple of scenes you kind of have to go out of your way for.

ME3 is not kind to Ash in terms of both character and mechanically as a squadmate, ME3 is kind to Kaidan in both. Also Citadel has some good Kaidan scenes. Food of my people!

It's not a huge deal either way - both their roles are small in the remainder of the franchise (for some reason? ;)) but a lot of people who kept Ash alive from ME1 read about what Kaidan got in ME3 and then either save edited or started Yet Another Trilogy Replay. Having done both, I think in the grand scheme of things it makes more narrative sense for Kaidan to stick around, but ultimately who cares, do what you like.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

divedivedive posted:

Ha, well ... I did that, too. For both sexes of Shepard. I could not get a decent looking male or female Shepard worth making - which is to say, I couldn't get anything remotely human looking. So, default male and femshep, down to the given names.

Watching the second video, I know we don't get the full effect of it just yet, but it reminded me how disturbing those Prothean visions get, with the whole meat + metal thing going on. I don't remember that getting a lot of traction in discussions, but it really got under my skin. So to speak.

I hear you. I have made exactly two good non-default Shepards. It's hard. It's made worse that you have to rebuild them in each game and they look different in each game and :mad:

the best/worst part of ME1 is spending a lot of time in the character creator, you start the game, long intro sequence, dramatic walk up the Normandy CIC to the cockpit, camera does DRAMATIC FACE REVEAL----

restart game
open character creator
repeat

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Psion posted:

the best/worst part of ME1 is spending a lot of time in the character creator, you start the game, long intro sequence, dramatic walk up the Normandy CIC to the cockpit, camera does DRAMATIC FACE REVEAL----

restart game
open character creator
repeat

This is every single Bioware game though

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fanzay posted:

This is every single Bioware game though
At least DA now gives you the Black Emporium so you can fix (or break) poo poo. A magic mirror doesn't exactly fit in with ME but I'm sure they can handwave it away with mass effect fields!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

MA-Horus posted:

my god, it makes perfect sense.

Trump is TIM.

the last election cycle used that one

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

At least DA now gives you the Black Emporium so you can fix (or break) poo poo. A magic mirror doesn't exactly fit in with ME but I'm sure they can handwave it away with mass effect fields!

Just slap some omnigel on your face!

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Regalingualius posted:

I mean the battle of whoever basically IS space-Alamo in just about every respect, so...

mauman posted:

I always though it was funny (in a :bang: sort of way) that the Turians first thought when finding a new race was "Shoot it, follow it back home and shoot it's home".

Yeesh.

Some turian general in...maybe this game, my memory's bad and I wasn't giving the video my full attention so maybe we've seen it already, compared it to chasing a child away from a light socket or similar but in general I think it's considered bad parenting to follow the kid to their room and beat them again just to show 'em who's boss. And they're not even humanity's real dad!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Psion posted:

ME3 is not kind to Ash in terms of both character and mechanically as a squadmate, ME3 is kind to Kaidan in both. Also Citadel has some good Kaidan scenes. Food of my people!

It's not a huge deal either way - both their roles are small in the remainder of the franchise (for some reason? ;)) but a lot of people who kept Ash alive from ME1 read about what Kaidan got in ME3 and then either save edited or started Yet Another Trilogy Replay. Having done both, I think in the grand scheme of things it makes more narrative sense for Kaidan to stick around, but ultimately who cares, do what you like.

I guess there's not much point in giving Ashley or Kaiden larger roles in ME2/3 when one of them blows up in nuclear hellfire later in the game, and for me, it was always Kaiden, 100% of the time, because I did not care for him at all, even in 3.

I had the same issues with Jacob from 2, did not care for him one bit.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh hey these games. Cool.

I am one of your 20%. My FemShep looks a little bit like a gothic Davina McCall. What does annoy me though is how obviously she walks like a man sometimes. I get that mocap is not the most costless thing in the world, but my god especially that cutscene at the start of ME3 where she lumbers up those stairs like the hanger is still stuck in the back of her shirt. The voice acting is splendid for her but... sometimes...

I've never played a Vanguard, though. Should be interesting to see!

I always let Kaidan survive. It just seems more fitting for Ashley to be there, she's a soldier and she was on borrowed time anyways as far as I'm concerned. If Shep hadn't showed up she would've died anyway, now she can return the favour. :colbert:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Vanguard is pretty boring in ME 1, but it just rules in ME 2 and ME 3.

I'm also really disappointed that you did not post about the new LP your Dragon Age thread, SubponticatePoster :(

Also, Kaidan rules, I can't stand Ashley in ME 3.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

FemShep is a straight-up badass soldier and the only dumb holdover is that her armor has boobs.

For what it's worth, the US Army recently introduced female-specific body armor. It doesn't quite have outright boobs, but it does have different proportions for women because the normal armor doesn't fit properly and is more of a hinderance than a help. The new female-proportioned armor feels lighter and is easier to move around in because it fits the body and distributes the weight better.

It's a conceit, but I just imagine that future armor applies this principle to the point that the ceramic/whatever plating is tailored to the individual's body through future-science instead of being mass produced one-size-fits-all, so it's not so bad. Certainly not as bad as swaying butts in the sequels.

RickVoid posted:

As much fun as we make of "What does this Alien's sweat taste like", it's sort of a natural extension of the level of Sperg Bioware put into the game. Still awful, mind you.

What does alien sweat taste like is tame, Fightclub Sandwich and I were playing MP where the other two were on mic talking about Krogan Vaginas for half the match. I don't think either of us said anything during the whole match. I know my mic was muted and I was laughing my rear end off.

Did you know Krogan females have five of them?

Judge Tesla posted:

I'd dislike aliens too if I'd spent my life being poo poo on by humanity because my Grandfather surrendered to the Turians because he was massively overwhelmed by them, this is kind of why Ashley isn't fond of them, is it an excuse? Not really, but it is a main reason for it.

She's also never spent any time around them before she arrives on the Citadel, and as you near Virmire, she starts to realize that maybe she was wrong all this time. Character Development!

nine-gear crow posted:

make them hospital buddies in 3 so they could trade stories about what an awful girlfriend I was to both of them.

:wth: Is this a thing that actually happens, or is it just what you imagined happened?

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I don't normally watch LPs of games I've played but your DAI LP was so good I'm on board.

ME1 will always be my favourite even if mechanically it's the worst. It just chimed so much with all the years of reading science fiction, handing me a universe on a plate that I was used to having to use my imagination to produce.

If I could somehow break down my love for it at the time I think 1/4 minimum would be labelled 'Skyboxes'. I'm tempted to say another 1/4 would be the Galaxy map and it's accompanying music.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Fwoderwick posted:

I don't normally watch LPs of games I've played but your DAI LP was so good I'm on board.

ME1 will always be my favourite even if mechanically it's the worst. It just chimed so much with all the years of reading science fiction, handing me a universe on a plate that I was used to having to use my imagination to produce.

If I could somehow break down my love for it at the time I think 1/4 minimum would be labelled 'Skyboxes'. I'm tempted to say another 1/4 would be the Galaxy map and it's accompanying music.

I agree with everything but this:

quote:

ME1 will always be my favourite even if mechanically it's the worst.

For it's also the buggiest.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

My Q-Face posted:

Did you know Krogan females have five of them?

And then there's the poor males getting the short end of the stick with only two.

My Q-Face posted:

She's also never spent any time around them before she arrives on the Citadel, and as you near Virmire, she starts to realize that maybe she was wrong all this time. Character Development!

You know I never really bought Ashley's character development on this, I always felt like she was going "these aliens who I know personally are okay but they're weird outliers and the rest of their species still all suck."

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Dr. Buttass posted:

You know I never really bought Ashley's character development on this, I always felt like she was going "these aliens who I know personally are okay but they're weird outliers and the rest of their species still all suck."

All of this talk about Ashley has made me wonder if anybody has made Kaiden go in the opposite direction.

It's strange to say the very least.

Psion posted:

I hear you. I have made exactly two good non-default Shepards. It's hard. It's made worse that you have to rebuild them in each game and they look different in each game and :mad:

restart game
open character creator
repeat

The first time I played this game I tried to model my Shepard after Kurt Russels character from the movie Soldier.

Boy howdy was he one ugly gently caress.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

:wth: Is this a thing that actually happens, or is it just what you imagined happened?

More or less. You can ask Thane to look over Kaidan while he's comatose and flat out say "yeah, that's my ex, by the way." And there are like consecutive scenes with Thane and Kadain once Kaidan wakes up that are basically "so... you hosed that guy" scenes.

You can even hook back up with Kaidan while Thane is still alive. Its hilariously awkward and lovely of Shepard and because Thane and Kaidan are both such dogged nice guys, they both just let her steamroll over both of them.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Femshep all the way. It just feels right, I don't know how else to explain it.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

RickVoid posted:

Femshep all the way. It just feels right, I don't know how else to explain it.

Superior voice acting?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

eh, there are aspects to both that work and aspects to both that don't.

If you want a playthrough that is mostly for taking the piss then you should go with Mark Meer since he gets the comedy aspect a lot better, but if you want to take the series seriously then you should go with Hale.

I mean "I should go" is waaaaaaay funnier as delivered by Meer and the ribbing of it in Citadel is also funnier because of how the set up. The endorsement in ME2 is hilarious because of Meer's deadpan delivery but quite a few of the more serious scenes don't have the same emotional punch with him and that's fine.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I mostly remember him for "Whatever he did, he probably deserves worse" spoken with complete disinterest while watching a Turian beat the poo poo out of a prisoner.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

IIRC Meer was a bit more jekyll and hyde with his paragon/renegade divide whereas femshep sounds more even - like both line sets could easily be coming from the same woman. For that reason Meer vs Hale comes down to personal preference in roleplaying style imho since it's not a question of incompetent vs competent delivery to me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mauman posted:

The first time I played this game I tried to model my Shepard after Kurt Russels character from the movie Soldier.

Boy howdy was he one ugly gently caress.
I'm a firm believer in the "there's only two points on a slider: minimum and maximum" school of visual design.
Roughly half of my RPG characters are named Cyrano.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
And I'm just sitting here, having consistently good results with the ME1 character creator

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The first time I played the game, I tried to make a Shepard that looked like me. The results were... unpleasant, and not (only) because I'm an ugly bastard. In ME2, I just gave him the default face and pretended that was what he looked like all along.

Alexeythegreat posted:

And I'm just sitting here, having consistently good results with the ME1 character creator
I may be able to create a non-hideous dudeshep if given enough time and not trying to model him after my own ugly mug, but I've never managed to make a femshep I was happy with. The mouth always ends up looking too wide and reminding me of :frogout:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 16, 2015

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
ME1 especially has a bad habit of giving FemShep duckface. She'll look fine straight on, then turn her head and she could eat apples through a picket fence.

Update is currently processing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Doc Morbid posted:

I may be able to create a non-hideous dudeshep if given enough time and not trying to model him after my own ugly mug, but I've never managed to make a femshep I was happy with. The mouth always ends up looking too wide and reminding me of :frogout:

The problem with the ME1 builder (and to a lesser extend ME2's) is that the way it animates mouths doesn't work for all of the mouth rigs, so you can give yourself too small of lips and suddenly they expand to encompass this giant mouth and Oh god reset let me try again.

anilEhilated posted:

I'm a firm believer in the "there's only two points on a slider: minimum and maximum" school of visual design.
Roughly half of my RPG characters are named Cyrano.
Why limit yourself to that? The ME3 save data has little to no sanity checking for if you go off the ends of a slider or pick values that literally do not exist.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

You can get great results if you're just screwing around with the system and not trying to make someone specific. There's an old site made by a goon iirc, the mass effect face database, that has a bunch of great ones w/codes.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

hard counter posted:

You can get great results if you're just screwing around with the system and not trying to make someone specific. There's an old site made by a goon iirc, the mass effect face database, that has a bunch of great ones w/codes.

Precisely what I'm doing. Or, rather, not doing

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

hard counter posted:

Yep. http://mass-effect-2.facesofgaming.com/ - this is all ME2 because that was when the site was founded but there's a site you can plug in ME2 face codes and get ME1 slider values. It's not 100% perfect but it works...ish.

compare, for example,
http://imgur.com/Kp7G69N
http://imgur.com/FLvylq1

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Watching the first video...

Are you making GBS threads me? I played this thing a thousand times and it's the first time I see those three farmhands. They really tucked them in a corner.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Pimpin' ain't easy

We are supposed to go meet with the Council to discuss the disaster on Eden Prime. Instead we go screwing around (literally). The Citadel is much like the Hinterlands in DAI - it's a huge starting area full of sidequests where if you try to do all of them right off the bat you'll burn out and get bored. I may do some of these for XP and whatnot but won't show them on camera because the large majority are stupid fetchquests.

We meet some of the other major races in ME, the elcor and volus. Elcor are big :3: cow-like things who speak in monotone. Insincere endorsement, this is a great LP and you should watch it. Volus are bowling balls that breathe ammonia and live on high pressure planets so they wear funny suits. They also tend to be portrayed as traders and bankers and fixated on money.

And let's talk about the Asari, shall we? An interesting concept (a monogendered race that doesn't really have sex to reproduce) that gets buried under obvious wank material. All the Asari are attractive (within the graphics limitations :v: ) and sexual and are either strippers, mercenaries, or stripper mercenaries. The first time we see Benezia she's wearing a ridiculous outfit and has giant bazoombas - and she's the equivalent of your 70 year old grandmother. At least the games sometimes take the piss and make jokes about it.

Also we meet two of the best future squadmates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Enjoying this LP so far. The ME series has been something I've been meaning to pick up, except that I watched my brother play the series and that made me apathetic. Not just that I've seen how everything ends, but I also saw all the parts I found subpar. Even if they are small compared to all three games, knowing you won't enjoy something makes it hard to commence.

And let's talk about the Asari, shall we? An interesting concept (a monogendered race that doesn't really have sex to reproduce) that gets buried under obvious wank material. All the Asari are attractive (within the graphics limitations :v: ) and sexual and are either strippers, mercenaries, or stripper mercenaries. The first time we see Benezia she's wearing a ridiculous outfit and has giant bazoombas - and she's the equivalent of your 70 year old grandmother. At least the games sometimes take the piss and make jokes about it.

Don't forget that they all are also super good at sex. In fact, some are too super good at sex.

• Locked thread