Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Another fine project you've started, mate. I'll be sure to follow the thread, always loved the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I always took it as a sign that he was gradually accepting augmentations even before the attack on Eden Prime. I imagine the Council asking him every now and again why he had yet another tube snaking in and out of his armor today, and Saren assuring them that everything's fine. There'd come a day when the Asari councilor asked him to please see a doctor about those and Saren would just respond with "I told you before I have them for BIOTIC reasons, get off my case about this MOM" and that'd be the end of that discussion.

Implants aren't even that unusual in Mass Effect's universe. Besides the massive amount of custom cybernetic hardware that Commander Shepard received just to get her biotic abilities to function, the Alliance Navy implanted her with all kinds of standard-issue poo poo, including a device that keeps her sterile for the duration of her career as a soldier. Oh and yeah, that's A Thing.

Well, that's just a futuristic IUD, really.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Roman Reigns posted:

It's ok.

http://imgur.com/CA488fh

The abyss will always be there.

That was beautiful. The wonders of the Internet never cease.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

SubponticatePoster posted:

At least DA now gives you the Black Emporium so you can fix (or break) poo poo. A magic mirror doesn't exactly fit in with ME but I'm sure they can handwave it away with mass effect fields!

Just slap some omnigel on your face!

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Dr. Buttass posted:

In the second game you can eavesdrop on a bachelor party having an argument about why other species are attracted to asari when they clearly look exactly like my species in every particular, wait, what do you mean they look like your species, are you crazy.

For the life of me I still cannot tell if this conversation was intended to be funny or not, the delivery isn't stellar if it was.

That scene was great for me, a giant head screw presented in a pretty funny fashion. It's no excuse for having hugely sexualized female-only aliens, but as a one-note joke it was fine.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Welp, I should finish watching the episode before posting here. I had completely erased from my mind the scene with the consort at the end. I know Bioware is Bioware, but drat that was bad

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

mauman posted:

Ya know, some days I can't help but feel that certain people take this stuff a little too seriously.

Mass Effect was a love letter to sci-fi television shows and movies that people at the time had grown up with, like star trek and star wars. The Asari were a reference to the so called, "green-skinned space babes" from the original star trek. They were trying to evoke the "beautiful yet dangerous" card.

Now I agree it was kinda wonky, but saying no excuse?

And yes, I agree the consort thing was weird.

I'll try not to derail the thread too much, but here goes. For any given fact about a piece of media, you can say it has an internal justification, and an external justification. Internal is how that fact fits with the rest of the facts of that media. External is what the author is trying to do with that fact. In the case of the Asari, the internal justification for their appearance is "they can mate with everyone, so they evolved to be attractive to everyone", maybe even "they mess with your head to appear attractive". The external justification, as far as I can see, is simply "teenage titillation"

Now don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with titillation. I'm just saying there are better things to do with attractive female bodies. ME2 comes to mind, with the characters of Jack and Miranda. But I'll leave that conversation for when we get to that.

Suffice it to say, I have nothing against Asari butts, but butts for butts sake are not that interesting to me.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Dr. Buttass posted:

Nerds as a demographic have a big problem with the line between fantasy and reality; specifically regarding internal versus external justifications of things in fiction. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone smugly explain that Quiet Time Jones has Tenochtitlan Butt Plague, and that's why she breathes through her skin and has to wear a bikini for missions*, as though that 100% ends the argument. And they're completely befuddled by this notion that an actual writer decided, in their brain, that Quiet Time Jones is going to have Tenochtitlan Butt Plague, and that a symptom of the disease is that you breathe through your skin and if you cover too much of it you die of suffocation, and she wouldn't have Tenochtitlan Butt Plague if they'd decided to make up some other disease like Crawling Spleen Syndrome, which causes you to pass fully-grown bonsai walnut trees instead of kidney stones and requires extensive, disfiguring surgery to treat, instead.

I think that's where we get all these arguments about forced diversity too. They think their favorite games and poo poo sprung forth fully formed from the aether with all-white casts and the only purpose of dev teams is to go in after the fact and shoehorn in a couple gay black people so the SJWs will stop shouting for a couple minutes. They can't conceive of any reason why you might, for example, make an astrophysicist Mexican unless someone came and whined at you until it was easier to just give in.

*I haven't played MGS 5.

Thanks for understanding my point. I thought about mentioning Quiet (you put it perfectly even without playing the game) but sort of forgot halfway.

My final point is, it's OK to put sexy aliens in your game just for the sake of titillation, and it's OK to enjoy them, but you are required to admit it, and you can't pretend it's there for a subtler reason. And it's OK to want more out of devs than simple titillation, and for a more diverse representation of the human body. And it's OK to do all of the above at the same time.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

mauman posted:

Hey.

I understand your point, and to an extent I even agree with it. But you seem to be missing the point that I was making. I enjoyed the Asari (flaws not withstanding) not because of titillation, but because I approached Mass Effect as "Star Trek, the RPG". It would be nice if you could at least acknowledge my point rather than just imply that I'm trying to justify titillation (which I'm not).

But the whole point of the Green Skinned Space Babe in Star Trek was titillation to begin with. Hence this discussion.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

SubponticatePoster posted:

3 also gave us Batarian Skeet Shooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZWL7rRXaM Sadly I haven't perfected this, should load up a solo bronze match to practice :getin:

That is literally the best thing ever and I'm tempted to buy ME3 on pc just to do that and jump back into multiplayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Regalingualius posted:

You just know the biggest question that'll be hanging over Andromeda's head will be "which ME3 ending is canon?"

My guess is, the colony ships left before the end of the war, so nobody knows what happened.

• Locked thread