Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.

Slippery Tilde

Elevate me

We descend into a majestic Prothean ruin and observe the pinnacle of people moving technology. In other words we go into a grubby pit and ride elevators. Inside we find Benezia's daughter, Liara and she's being hunted by Saren's goons.

In ME1 Liara is sort of the equivalent of a nerdy girl. She's naive, shy, and unlike all those other Asari she dresses sensibly. I like Liara but she's not portrayed very well in ME1. By the time 2 rolls around she's capable, confident, and pretty She also finds a sense of humor somewhere. At the beginning of ME3 she casually executes a couple of Cerberus dudes who were chasing her like it's nothing. In 1 however, the "barely more than a child" comment is sort of gross and creepy (they could have said "barely considered an adult" and sounded less ) and they kind of go out of their way to emphasize how Liara is pure and virginal unlike those slutty Asari we've been running into. Also her idle animation is this thing where she sensually runs her hand down her chest. WTF Bioware.

Wrex is right that in combat her biotics come in handy. She's got singularity, which in 1 results in hilarious clusterfucks because the objects all have their own physics. Nothing like levitating an entire room of crates into the ceiling and then flinging them around. Give her a good pistol and decent armor with cooldown reduction; you won't be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Combat in 3 is a delight on any class. I think that's why you can still find MP matches with no problem since it's just combat distilled down to it's purest form. I was one of those people who thought "Christ, why are they shoehorning in some dumbass MP thing this is gonna suck" and in checking my stats to date I've played 2229 games for a total of 846 hours, am ranked 5381 in the world on N7 leaderboards and 2115 on achievements for PS3. I have BotB and almost all of the special weekend challenge medals (I think I missed a total of 4 weekend events). It's insane how much I've played that game.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Now that we've got everyone I'm gonna do a lap around the ship and do some chatting. This won't make for a super exciting video so I can either split it up over a couple of updates or just get it out of the way, whichever folks prefer.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Judge Tesla posted:

Tali doesn't really have anything amazing to say, she's pretty much a walking Encyclopedia for Quarian culture in ME 1, expect to hear the word "Pilgrimage" a lot if you do chat to her.
Hey I've got no problem skipping people until they have something interesting to say. Or leaving it out entirely, although a couple of people in the thread have mentioned they never played 1 so I thought I'd show off at least some of it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cheaters prosper

Off to Noveria in order to cheat ourselves some P/R score. Along the way we hax0r a dude's Blackberry, agree to smuggle for a jellyfish, murder an unpleasant woman, and get an rear end in a top hat arrested.

The Asari thing with pseudo-native nicknames gets dropped really quickly (thank god). Liara is Little Wing and we are apparently an unshiny (or stupid) rock. It's here at the beginning of 1 and it never comes up again except as a callback in 3, though admittedly a fairly good one. It doesn't make sense in game context that we can literally kill people for interfering with our mission and yet we get stonewalled by a crooked middle-manager. I'd have liked it more if they just offered you the opportunity to shoot Anoleis where he sits and take his loving pass, or you get a lot more xp/credits for doing it the other way but I guess game padding is important. You can not agree to help Parasini, get Qui'in to hand over his pass and be on your merry way. You get credits if you choose that option, hence Tali's comment.

For once Bioware's buggy conversation loops benefit us and our goal of a full P/R bar. The way you do it is after agreeing to help Parasini, go talk to Qui'in. Use the P/R choice and get your points. Then talk to him again and ask about Benezia, then choose "ask something else." The testify option will be there, pick your poison and do it ad nauseum until you're happy with your score. It's a relative thing (if you have too much in one score or the other you'll stop getting the 2nd option) so I recommend doing a couple red/blue and then switching it up. This also works on 360. The higher your P/R score, the more points available in charm/intimidate so I also threw some points into that so we can buy poo poo cheaper and sell them for more.

I'll grab the vendor's smuggling package off-screen because you just get some credits for it. You can return it to the jelly or go find Inamorda yourself and sell it to him directly. We're gonna veer off the main plot and do BDtS since you get some really good stuff out of it, notably amps/omnitools.

e: I spel gud

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 7, 2016

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Brutalist can be cool but here it's just an example of lovely corporate soulless design

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MA-Horus posted:

Haha I never noticed that line from Wrex "You know what we do to crooked cops on MY planet?"
"The same thing we do to everything else." *BLAM*

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

My Q-Face posted:

On the PS3 over the weekend, I caught SubPonticate online in Mass Effect and wondered if the user is online pop-up would show up in the LP edit?
I've never seen it show up in any recordings, so maybe it's something the game capture doesn't record, I dunno.

Episode uploading but YT being hosed up as usual tells me it'll be another hour and a half so expect it sometime in the morning.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

loving Batarians

Doing the DLC Bring Down the Sky. A mined-out asteroid is hurtling towards Terra Nova and we have to stop it before it smashes into the planet. This always sort of amuses me due to the way they describe it. "You've got 4 hours to turn off the torches and stop its acceleration." I'm no Neil Degrasse Tyson, but I think the way space works is that since there isn't any friction just turning them off isn't actually going to do fuckall as it will continue on the same course until it smashes into the planet anyway. And then there's the planet's gravity well on top of it. I guess as long as it's going the same speed the planet will have moved out of the way by then or someone fixes it prior to impact. Also Bioware has a problem with proportion and they wanted to show off their nice skybox so it looks like it's going to smash into the planet in 10 minutes anyway.

We land to find a bunch of filthy Batarians are responsible and now we gotta kill them. If you never played ME Batarians are the galaxy's equivalent of orcs, though with a bit more brains. They are slavers and pirates and assholes generally. They used to participate in galactic politics. Then humans showed up and we started fighting over territory and so they asked the Council to intervene. Probably because of the aforementioned being assholes the Council ignored them so they pulled up their pants and went home. In our world state they are responsible for killing Shep's parents so she has a good reason to not like them personally. Their government's official title is the Hegemony. Out in the world you'll run into some cool Batarians and it's mostly their government that sucks. Think of a four-eyed version of North Korea.

You get some pretty good tech poo poo from this, mainly omnitools (I said amps, oops). The turrets suck and so does having to drive all over the place trying to find random crap, the torches themselves are pretty easy to spot.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Regalingualius posted:

Really, you're not missing much of anything by not getting to play Pinnacle Station. It's incredibly boring, the reward is mostly cosmetic, and it has no further relevance in the sequels.
It gets a callback in 3

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Yeah, I don't think anyone has ever said, "Think I'll boot up Pinnacle Station for some fun." Whereas Armax is fun as poo poo.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Vorcha are the ones who break fans And they're more space goblins. Varren are the dog things.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

3 also gave us Batarian Skeet Shooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZWL7rRXaM Sadly I haven't perfected this, should load up a solo bronze match to practice

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

That is a good deal, since the PS3 version of ME2 includes all the DLC (Zaeed, Kasumi, LotSB and the weapons packs) except for a couple of stupid outfits. Unless the DLC for 3 is on sale you'd still shell out $45 for that, but $55 for the equivalent of the GOTY trilogy is still pretty good.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Oh yeah, forgot about Arrival.

Kurieg posted:

Well now I've bought all 3 mass effect games 3 times.

We won't judge you here.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kurieg posted:

Because you care about your war asset score?

(Casually sits atop a golden throne made of promoted multiplayer characters)

Yeah I can get the "best" ending right out of the gate even pre-nerf to the score.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Stop the rock

Finishing up BDtS. Actus Rhesus joins me for a (semi) peaceful resolution. Since we're going Paragon we save the hostages. Balak turns up again in ME3 if you don't murder him here. Kate will send you an email in ME2 with this option. We get a nice omni tool out of the deal as well. Also I tacked on some un-commentated squad chats.

Next update will be some side content that carries through into ME2.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kurieg posted:

Conrad?
Did they fix the save bug for the PS3 release?
Not this time. But I'll get around to him, don't you worry. And the Conrad thing in ME2 is bugged on every platform IIRC. Prior to ME1 being released on PS3 he didn't show up since there were no flags

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Up Circle posted:

Ashley is basically the only character from the first game that I could see ever sympathizing with cerberus
And when you meet her in 2 she's like "hey I'm a Klansman but I'm no fuckin' Nazi"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Aces High posted:

aren't the krogan a long lived species as well? At least that's the impression that bartender gives in ME2
Yeah, just most of 'em don't live that long The writers put a lot of effort into the science explaining the ME universe, they just apparently skipped biology classes. Generally long lifespans equate to slow maturation rates but you've got Morinth running away from home at 40 which should be the human equivalent of around 6. Instead it's more like mid/late teenager in game.

Also apparently Asari are placental mammals but that doesn't get brought up either.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

I'll do what I can but won't make any promises. A lot of the stuff we're doing is specifically to trigger stuff in future games.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Callback Cavalcade

Doing some sidequests that carry into the next games. Helena turns up in Afterlife in 2 if you don't shoot her and Nassana meets her end at the hands of Thane whether you do this quest or not. No, we didn't punch Khalisa because this option gets you Hackett explaining she looks like a nut in her segment. Don't fret, there will be some future punching. Also squad AI goes haywire and everyone crawls up Shep's rear end.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Poil posted:

How can anyone resist not punching her? It's great. It's even better than headbutting a krogan.
My favorite thing is the video you can find from LotSB where a Krogan punches her

e: and the Volus kicks her in the shins

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The punch-off in ME3 is actually a QTE and if you gently caress up Shep is the one who gets punched.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hard counter posted:

Alright it's worth pointing out that was actually some fine combat especially the sniper rifling.
Once I get enough points in to stop the sway I'll treat you to some 300yd headshots

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hard counter posted:

those MP hours are showing, this could even be a ~*~skilled~*~ playthrough
What's really fun is that outside of a certain range you can shoot stuff and it doesn't aggro so they'll sit immobile and you can plonk away. Skilled, indeed!

divedivedive posted:

Holy crap, I never really used the shotgun in any of the Mass Effect games. Clearly I made a mistake.
In 1 they are straight up loving broken. Less so in the later games but the Geth Plasma Shotgun remains strong and the Reegar is its own brand of

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Wait until I can equip 2 scram rails

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DeusExMachinima posted:

Wait, so did you peace out from Noveria before Peak 15 for Bring Down the Sky and the sidequests? My RPG-specific OCD compelled me to finish a planet once I landed on it.
Yes but fret not, we've headed back for our next update.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

That's the plan. And that's a good thread title, I will keep it in mind.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bug Spray

In honor of Snowmageddon 2016 we head to Peak 15 with the intention of finding Benezia but it turns out things are all kinds of hosed up (surprise, surprise). Space cockroaches have taken over the place, we have to do the world's worst puzzle to fix a computer and the trains aren't running on time. WIth special guest LP master Lazyfire.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

It's fun if you purposely want to kill people off though. Not only do you save time by not having to do their loyalty quest but you can easily get rid of them!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Aces High posted:

Wait, I thought you would get teammate deaths regardless of their loyalty if you didn't install key ship upgrades like the cannon, the shields and stuff
Or if you send them on the wrong jobs (apparently a lot of people thought Thane belonged in the vents ). Even a loyal Zaeed will die if you make him fireteam leader, though that guddamn guy can hold the line all by himself disloyal.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Poil posted:

I wish it was easier to kill off Miranda. Jakob is just bland and boring so he can live I suppose but Miranda is just so... creepy. Everything about her is creepy and she's just a bootlick buttlick with her head so far up her superior's rear end she could lick the back off his teeth. Jack is trying way too hard to be all edgy and poo poo and, as mentioned, she's so weak and useless in the game compared to the other companions while kicking, heavily scripted, rear end in cutscenes. Down the space toilet you go.
I don't have a problem with Miranda herself, it's that her tits and rear end are both NPCs as well.

e: also her hair got really stupid in ME3

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

My fave thing to do with the Paladin is riot-shield tennis. Backhanding poo poo over railings never gets old.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Map needs debugging

Going deeper into Peak 15. We help a bunch of people with a bunch of dumb poo poo. Kill a bazillion bugs and get hosed over twice. You can take the pass Ventralis gives you and go straight to the hot labs where he'll still try to shoot you afterwards. Now that we've done all this bullshit we can finally move on to Benezia herself. Then we'll be done with Noveria. After that we'll head back to the Citadel for some more tie-in quests.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mother's Day

We meet Liara's mom and kill her. Sorry, Liara. We also hear about indoctrination for the first time, which is certainly not the last. And loose the Rachni on the galaxy, yay. This part is really funny if you take Wrex along because he freaks out. Too bad there isn't an option to tell him we're doing the Krogan a favor since if the Rachni get out of control again they'll suddenly become very popular with the Council.

We also catch up a bit with our squadmates except Tali because she still doesn't have anything interesting to say and her dialogue doesn't update like everyone else. TBH half the time I forget she's even on the ship.

And my cat makes a guest appearance.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Judge Tesla posted:

The Benezia fight is pretty buggy with all the biotic attacks flying around, it's very possible to end up stuck inside a wall when you get ragdolled around by them, this isn't very fun at all.
Yeah I saved just before we entered the room with Benezia just for this reason. I've been stuck in the floor, behind a railing, and under a box before

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

I mentioned earlier in the thread I met her at a con and she seemed pretty pleased that I brought her something ME to sign. Guess that's not on the list

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Knight errand
More callback sidequests. Kahoku's isn't so much of a callback as it is setting up Cerberus bullshit. Except it's not really explained what Banes was doing out there or what the medical supplies are for so I don't know why they bothered to try and tie it in to Michel's problem. You'll get an email from Emily Wong in 2 if you help her. She doesn't appear in 3 because as part of the launch marketing she live-tweeted about going Kamikaze into a reaper with a transport shuttle. Godspeed Emily

Conrad's Conrad, but the Jenna thing is kind of sneaky and if you don't do her thing he bites it in 3. Probably a lot of dead Conrads out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Judge Tesla posted:

I see or rather hear that glitch with Chellik is still in place after all these years, if you didn't notice, his last bit of speech with you was missing the metallic sounding effect Turians have when they speak.
To me it sounds like it's been sped up a bit, it's higher in pitch than his other dialogue.

• Locked thread