Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The final boss is pissing me off. It looks like the hands and orbs operate on different timers or whatever so you can frequently get patterns that are just totally safe for the boss in phase 2 and it's annoying as poo poo!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Finished Oath :D The final boss is way more frustrating than fun but it doesnt sour what is otherwise a practically pitch perfect action game. I think I like origin just as much still though because of the character variety and I do actually like a lot of those bosses, and the adventure feel that comes with climbing a huge friggin tower. Next I think Im gonna replay I+II since its been a while. But first Im gonna play Oath again on Very Easy in NG+ and see how quickly I can rush it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

What platform you playing I+II on?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Vita probably. I have that bundle on Steam (and Saturn lol) but Chronicles is the only Ys game on Vita I don't have so I may as well get the complete collection

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I changed my mind and decided to play Memories of Celceta again instead since I haven't played it since launch

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think like 33% of the reason I like Origin as much as I do is that it's my fave soundtrack of of the Ys games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emlVmR6zE_E

Music like this evokes feels of an N64 quality in me for some reason

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the oath boss fight themes were better imo and valestein castle is top tier

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Demo for Ys VIII PS4 version now available on the Japanese store. Im gonna play this and maybe stream it for anyone who wants to check it out

Optimistic Puma
Aug 7, 2007
Where did the seagulls take my sister?
There's a handful of Ys games for sale on the playstation store. Ys: I & 2 Chronicles, Ys: Oath of Felghana, and Ys: 7. What's the best game to start out with for someone new to the series?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Optimistic Puma posted:

There's a handful of Ys games for sale on the playstation store. Ys: I & 2 Chronicles, Ys: Oath of Felghana, and Ys: 7. What's the best game to start out with for someone new to the series?

Oath of Felghana! It's an awesome game and the PSP version has some good bonuses over the PC version.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also thanks for the heads up because I&II is the only Ys game I don't own on Vita and it's worth it for like 7 bucks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Check this out:

Boss from Ys Memories of Celceta

Pokemon Sun and Moon Ultra Beast 04 Celesteela

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training posted:

I was lied to, the Vita version isn't out until May. But it's up now on PS4, 20 bucks and it's crossbuy so I'll probably just buy it today anyway.

The Vita version of Origin should be out today, I'll be reporting back to see if it has all the proper cross save/buy support and to see if the audio and graphical glitches are still present. Also to see if they even got it running properly on a vita because the PS4 port was pretty bum rear end

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They patched out all of the PS4 bugs eventually so hopefully they won't be present.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Today I learned that just because a game is Cross buy doesn't mean it's cross save. Thanks dot emu.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

RIP Transfarring

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Coupled with the fact that this version of Origin requires you to beat the game with Hugo and Yunica to unlock The Claw and I already did that on PS4 means I'll never play this version probably

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's hosed up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was gonna bump the Xanadu thread but its archived so ill post it here: tokyo xanadu, the sequel to Xanadu Next (N-Gage game from 2005) is coming out tomorrow for the vita, another comically dead console. i watched some videos and its basically a persona knock off (school days, social links, schedule management) but the dungeon crawling and combat is the Ys VIII engine instead of turn based random encounters. seems cool but theres also a PS4 version that adds new story, better performance, new dungeons and nebulously "gameplay balances that make the game more challenging", because apparentyl the original is braindead easy. Ill probably just wait fo rthe console version, but I also kinda want it on portable...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It really doesn't seem worth it to get the vita version if the PS4 one is that much better. It's pretty dumb that they'd still release it if updating it to match was infeasible.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I started plaiyng Oath (my first Ys game) and it's cool. Just beat the mines. It's really fun and charming and the music is awesome. Is there any point in paying attention to what all the little pickups and stuff do?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I started plaiyng Oath (my first Ys game) and it's cool. Just beat the mines. It's really fun and charming and the music is awesome. Is there any point in paying attention to what all the little pickups and stuff do?

individually no, theyre temporary stat boosts to help you maintain combos and turn you into a powerhouse the longer youre loving dudes up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

It really doesn't seem worth it to get the vita version if the PS4 one is that much better. It's pretty dumb that they'd still release it if updating it to match was infeasible.

yeah, and it feels like its just putting it out to pasture. in japan there was a year+ between releases, but since both are out the announcement here is like "buy this inferior game because you dont have a ps4 fucker!! ha ha ha!"

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

tokyo xanada looks like hot garbage

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I finished Oath. Really cool little game. Final boss kind of sucked but whatever, reminded me of a far less bad version of the final boss in Furi lol. I always like games where you can only defeat the villain with a legendary weapon and then never really use said weapon in the final boss fight. Probably going to play Origin next since it's on Steam sale, not sure where to go after that since I don't have a Vita/PS4

E: lol it took me over a year and a half to get around to playing it after asking in this thread, and the game is like seven hours long

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 4, 2017

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im excited for the upcoming Ys game, here's hoping it doesn't look like one of those PS2 games that got ported to PC in 2008. Its kind of charming in a way but dang.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also it would be cool if they had voice acting this time

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Larry Parrish posted:

Im excited for the upcoming Ys game, here's hoping it doesn't look like one of those PS2 games that got ported to PC in 2008. Its kind of charming in a way but dang.

its a ported vita game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a nice looking Vita game at least....

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Also it would be cool if they had voice acting this time

It doe. At least it has Japanese voice idk they'll record English ones for the localization

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

It doe. At least it has Japanese voice idk they'll record English ones for the localization

I hope if they don't you can at least keep the Japanese voices.

elf help book posted:

its a ported vita game

Isn't that like almost the same thing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

I hope if they don't you can at least keep the Japanese voices.

Isn't that like almost the same thing

There's a demo if you wanna see what it looks like, which is a 60fps 1080p PS2 game

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

a 60fps 1080p PS2 game

:hellyeah:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finally have a copy of Ys Origin with all 3 characters beaten and unlocked Arena mode and the leaderboards on Vita have like 18 entries. I wonder how many people own this game and actually bothered with any of this crap

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There are literally 4 people on the leaderboard for the Boss Rush. It actually feels weird to play such a comically low pop game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ys 7 coming to PC this summer boys

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Tried to make some progress on Ys Origin (PC port) but the game keeps crashing when I hit certain button combinations on my gamepad. I wonder if it's a problem with DS4Windows

dadada123
Sep 3, 2014

Beat Origin as Hugo a while ago. now im playing Yunica on hard. currently stuck on the centipede boss or w.e but i think i almost have it, after that ill play Toal amd be done.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bump because Ys VIII is out in English and I may replay it on PS4 at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the new stuff in the ps4 version is pretty cool

• Locked thread