Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

this is such a sick feeling. approaching the final boss i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The final form was making me rage. I would get through first 2 without being hit and then it seemed like he was just instantly hittin me with gravity well bullcrap over and over again that was unavoidable damage. I don't even know what I did different on my successful attempt. But I beat it.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Congrats, the final boss is pretty tough with Yunica and completely miserable with Hugo.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

this is such a sick feeling. approaching the final boss i think.

The SNES game has that exact screen.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Congrats, the final boss is pretty tough with Yunica and completely miserable with Hugo.

I might revisit this game and play as Hugo or the third guy at some point. But from what I understand they travel through the same levels and bosses which is kinda lame/

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

In Training posted:

I might revisit this game and play as Hugo or the third guy at some point. But from what I understand they travel through the same levels and bosses which is kinda lame/
Hugo is really terrible to play as, imo, predominantly because his aim is tied to his movement direction, but it's worth it because his character is a total rear end in a top hat and his story shits on all the cool, nice stuff that happens in Yunica's version. The third guy is really fun, though, maybe moreso than Yunica.

I can't remember if there was much different for Hugo, but Toal's(?) campaign switches up some of the order of stuff, I think, and the story is fairly different.

Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

Just picked up Ys 7 as well, going to be my first in the series. It will be a good holiday, op.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
how does falcom even make money nowadays?

i'm not complaining, it's just that developing sequels to msx games primarily for vita and pc in japan doesn't seem like it'd cover the bills

is it purely off of soundtrack cd sales? because i can get behind that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Kins posted:

i'm not complaining, it's just that developing sequels to msx games primarily for vita and pc in japan doesn't seem like it'd cover the bills

they make psp games more often than vita games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Kins posted:

Their games still look like PSP games at best so I imagine their art asset creation costs are extremely low and they just make mechanically tight games and sell them to a niche market.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

In Training posted:

Third guy's story is the one that canonically leads into Ys 1, so.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ys loving rules

I'm overjoyed I was eventually introduced to the series.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Ys loving rules

came here to post this exact thing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I might play some Ys VI this week, but my copy of Yakuza is arriving today or tomorrow. Decisions decisions.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

what game do I start with. Origins? 1? 3?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

of the steam games, you can just start with Oath

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think Oath in Felghana is a good jumping-in point, each game is pretty self contained and I think the first 2 are a little too archaic gameplay-wise nowadays

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, and it comes out Summer 2016.

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/ys-viii-launches-summer-2016-japan

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Lacrimosa of Dana

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Celceta Felghana Lacrimosa Enchilada Lasagna

fiber
Nov 18, 2012

elf help book posted:

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, and it comes out Summer 2016.

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/ys-viii-launches-summer-2016-japan

it'd be cool to finally play one of these on a console

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The imp zone does it again folks. That's another game announcement one week after the relevant Megathread was made. Book it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

fiber posted:

you dont have a turbografx cd?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

The imp zone does it again folks. That's another game announcement one week after the relevant Megathread was made. Book it

sorry for holding up the release of the new zelda

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fiber posted:

A couple of them came out on PS2

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hey op, the Brandish PSP remake is on sale on PSN right now and playable on the vita. Just wanted to let you know about another Falcom classic

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

In quote form, if you prefer:

Ys III the Wand'rers of Ys - I fell in love with this when I first played it. It was ported here by Sammy of America and Sammy sucks... My friend jocks them 'cause they have something to do with SNK and...well... SNK sucks now, regardless of what your opinion is, of them... Ys III on Super NES, however, is a very faithful port, to... I... really don't know what the... original version of the game was for. I wanna say TG16CD which was excellent. Had some of the best soundtracks you'll ever from a game... 'Course Ys always had a good soundtrack. I suggest the Genesis version though if you want a cart-based one, 'cause that game actually had the most... awesome use of the Genesis sound processor. And that's not an exaggeration.
Dont be mean to snk. Fuuuu

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Please be sym0athetic to SNKs fighting game group. Theyre trying their best to make games 20 brazilians, 5 mexicans, 3 chinamen, amd 2 koreans will play. But they are trapped in an unused warehouse that serves a chicken manure storage facility, and pachinko ball regreasing plant. Theu are constantly beset by intoperable noose and smell. They scavange for food and potable water on the forlorn docks of Guangzhou between the hours 1 am to 3 am. They simply want 2 model angels breasts and rear end in kond of janky ps2 era 3d. Fate and 2 billion hens conspire against them. LeND Them your strength!!!!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

Please be sym0athetic to SNKs fighting game group. Theyre trying their best to make games 20 brazilians, 5 mexicans, 3 chinamen, amd 2 koreans will play. But they are trapped in an unused warehouse that serves a chicken manure storage facility, and pachinko ball regreasing plant. Theu are constantly beset by intoperable noose and smell. They scavange for food and potable water on the forlorn docks of Guangzhou between the hours 1 am to 3 am. They simply want 2 model angels breasts and rear end in kond of janky ps2 era 3d. Fate and 2 billion hens conspire against them. LeND Them your strength!!!!

*Solemnly but with a glimmer of hope and resilience in my eye* I will.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Origins and oath are best. The snes 3 is worth playing. 1 and 2 have a million remakes I'd stick with the steam bersion. 5 is garbage. 6 i habent plaued. 7 is vita exclus9ve gently caress you god. Bye.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Origins and oath are best. The snes 3 is worth playing. 1 and 2 have a million remakes I'd stick with the steam bersion. 5 is garbage. 6 i habent plaued. 7 is vita exclus9ve gently caress you god. Bye.
7 is on PSP not vita

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the 4 remake is the Vita exclusive. Wots wrong with 5?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

http://youtu.be/WdfKy-rja2I
*throws duffle bag over shoulder, leaves gym, never seen again*

fiber
Nov 18, 2012

In Training posted:

it's slow and kinda ugly and plays more like a quintet game than anything else

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

Its tedious and looks like crap. The gameplay gave me lagoon feels instrad of lttp feels, which is bad. Realbad. I didnt know there was a 4 remake. 4 pce cd is supposedly good but pce fans are all completely gonzo and if pce was ever as as popular as like sega or rare tjeyd be worse tham srga fans hajaja. Also 8dk if the pce cd of 4 ever got off the ground.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

fiber posted:

it's slow and kinda ugly and plays more like a quintet game than anything else

Thios

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Its tedious and looks like crap. The gameplay gave me lagoon feels instrad of lttp feels, which is bad. Realbad. I didnt know there was a 4 remake. 4 pce cd is supposedly good but pce fans are all completely gonzo and if pce was ever as as popular as like sega or rare tjeyd be worse tham srga fans hajaja. Also 8dk if the pce cd of 4 ever got off the ground.

It took me three or four attempts but I think I understand now

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Sister Sonic is a cancelled role-playing video game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series.[1] Sega was to partner with Falcom, developer of the game, Popful Mail, to rework characters from the Sonic franchise into Popful Mail.[2] The game was to star Sonic the Hedgehog's long lost sister.[3][4] However, the game was ultimately cancelled in favor of releasing simply an English translation of Popful Mail in 1995.[5][6]

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

Sister Sonic is a cancelled role-playing video game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series.[1] Sega was to partner with Falcom, developer of the game, Popful Mail, to rework characters from the Sonic franchise into Popful Mail.[2] The game was to star Sonic the Hedgehog's long lost sister.[3][4] However, the game was ultimately cancelled in favor of releasing simply an English translation of Popful Mail in 1995.[5][6]

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I booted up Ys Seven tonight and the first line in the game is "Off the coast of Afroca". This is gonna be awesome

• Locked thread