Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This series tends to get a mention in various threads, but has never had a home in TVIV from what I can remember. So here's one now. There's only on rule about 30 For 30 Club: you don't need to like sports to enjoy it.

In 2009, the pretty awesome and now departed (from ESPN, not life) Bill Simmons wanted to put together a set of 30 documentaries, one for each year of ESPNs on air presence. Rather than just half-rear end it and put together some shlock nobody would actually care about, Simmons got legitimately good filmmakers to find interesting, often very human, stories to cover. With the combination of some ridiculously good library footage, the first series of 30 For 30 put out some seriously good work. It expanded out too, with Soccer Stories and Nine for IX (which covers women in sport) and has over 100 episodes now, ranging from about 45 to 90 minutes.

Some notable episodes which are well worth a watch include:

June 17, 1994

I think it's fair to see, this is definitely one of the 'go to' episodes. The day that OJ Simpson was due to bring himself in was a busy day across the sports networks - Arnold Palmers retirement, the opening of World Cup USA 1994, the Rangers winning the Stanley Cup, and the NBA finals. Rather than having interviews of involved parties reflect on the day, June 17 is a masterclass in editing, simply using archive footage and skipping around the days events as they portrayed, as news broke out and started affecting the other broadcasts. This is a perfect example of why liking sport has nothing to do with this series, it's just a brilliant episode.

Without Bias

Again, very little sport in this story that goes into detail as to what happened to Len Bias - a basketball player with massive potential. Sadly, the day Len signed into the NBA he overdosed from cocaine abuse and passed away, leading a change in how drugs were seen within sport. It's a touching and sad story of a young guy who got into something far deeper than he ever meant to.

Hillsborough

The opening episode of Soccer Stories, that coincided with the 2014 World Cup. For legal reasons, this amazing piece can't be shown in the UK but it's absolutely worth hunting down. Nearly 100 people were crushed to death at a 1989 football game in England, and nearly 1,000 injured due to mismanagement of crowd control. It's a very sore point in Liverpool due to the authorities blaming drunken fans, and this message was spread throughout the media. The enquiries as to what happened go on to this day, but this documentary paints a very convincing argument against those that should have prevented such a tragedy.

They air, naturally, on ESPN and I believe if you have Amazon Prime you can watch them on there. If you like sports, you'll enjoy. If you like documentary film making, you'll enjoy. I don't have any real love of basketball, but found myself watching 4 episodes that were based on it (whether it was the sport itself or the people involved), and I enjoyed every one of them. Don't dismiss them because of the subject matter, and the fact you hated PE as a kid. I did too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the three best episodes are Broke, Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL?, and Four Days in October.

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug

Groovelord Neato posted:

the three best episodes are Pony Express, The U, and The Two Escobars

FIFY

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah the ones i said.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Even as a Red Sox fan 4 Days in October is kinda ehhh compared to the rest of them.

tasslex
Apr 23, 2003

He's watching YOU

The Bo Jackson episode is far and away better than any other.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is 30 for 30 still on Netflix or is it just Amazon Prime?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hillsborough
Oh man, I loved this one. I went into this knowing nothing about the Hillsborough disaster other than it was a stadium snafu that killed 96 people (still a real mindblowing number), and it was a real roller coaster of emotions. My only gripe is that they could have talked a little bit about how awful the second half of the 1980s were for English club football (among other things, they were barred from competing in the European Cup- now the UEFA Champions League- after 1985 because of fan behavior that killed people in the Final that year), which would have set the stage for its nadir.

Sticking with soccer, I really hope they do a 30 for 30 on the 1991 Red Star Belgrade side that won the European Cup. It was a dream team of great players that capped off an impressive run against a very good Olympique Marseille team that won it all 3 seasons later. After that, Yugoslavia started going to hell and all the players scattered to different clubs in Europe. All the elements are there for a really great entry. Make it happen, somebody.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 14, 2015

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Such a great series. The U is by far my favorite one, but I'm partial to college football. The Vlade Divac one is also pretty intense.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I remember the week Pony Excess premiered they played it back to back to back one night on ESPN2 and I watched it all three times

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the best part of Broke is they talk about Ricky Henderson getting his 500,000 dollar signing bonus and they see the check was never deposited and they ask Ricky and he said he had it framed and it was hanging in his house.

or the guy who got an injury payout and had thousands of dollars in back child support to pay and immediately bought a hummer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah The U and Small Potatoes are both great. I'm about halfway through Broke but not loving as much as some others, too many guys with zero humility essentially showing off how reckless they were/are with money. Hoping it'll turn around somewhat when they get into them running out of steam.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
The Two Escobars is probably the best in the series. Also check out Into the Wind.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

tasslex posted:

The Bo Jackson episode is far and away better than any other.

God drat that one was amazing. The sad part is one of the interviewers was right: You had to be a sports at the time period Bo Jackson was active to really "get" how magically/amazing watching Bo Jackson was. Between the ads, feats in TWO sports, the video game, all of it was amazing to any kid 6 to 13 years old.

Bo also comes off extremely well. Not bitter, no regrets, just some sadness of a superior athlete that really loved the game but was able to move on afterwards.

I wish they would do a 30 for 30 on Team Hoyt.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Y-Hat posted:

Is 30 for 30 still on Netflix or is it just Amazon Prime?

There are a large number on Netflix right now.

Content: Playing for the Mob is one of the best segments of television I've seen. It features some of the guys that inspired Goodfellas, and it's pretty hilarious all around.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Roll Tide/War Eagle is one of the most interesting for people who don't already know about the INTENSE rivalry between Alabama and Auburn University. Plus it has a pretty :unsmith: ending when the two teams and their fanbases unite to rebuild after Katrina.

Also, just because I'm a Raiders fan, I have to recommend Straight Outta L.A. The story of the Raiders moving to Los Angeles, becoming pop culture icons thanks to NWA, then moving back to Oakland.

June 17 1994 is absolutely #1 though. It's a flatout work of art.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 16, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Price of Gold , about the Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding knee-clubbing incident, is one of my favorites. The only drawback I can think of is that they couldn't get Kerrigan herself to agree to an interview, but watching Harding desperately try to convince the viewer she did nothing wrong more than makes up for it.

But the best one by far is June 17 1994. Holy loving poo poo it is incredible.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

computer parts posted:

There are a large number on Netflix right now.

Content: Playing for the Mob is one of the best segments of television I've seen. It features some of the guys that inspired Goodfellas, and it's pretty hilarious all around.

Probably the best part of this one is the interview with the ex player that was obviously into it up to his eyeballs but lying so very, very badly about his involvement.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Roll Tide/War Eagle is one of the most interesting for people who don't already know about the INTENSE rivalry between Alabama and Auburn University. Plus it has a pretty :unsmith: ending when the two teams and their fanbases unite to rebuild after Katrina.

That one's one of my least favorite ones, since it tries to force an ending which isn't true at all. Tornado or not, Bama and Auburn will never like each other and it's a better ending to show that natural disasters won't even keep the two from hating each other.

It seemed like they wanted to get Harvey Updyke on film before he kicked, since he could go at any time, and then used the back and forth titles as justification. Except after the Auburn win Bama won a couple more and the Kick Six is the greatest play in the history of sport and an entire doc could be done on that alone.

I don't know if there's ever a good time to do a documentary on an ongoing rivalry, but it was far too soon to hit on this time period. It's the same reason I didn't like the Red Sox one when it came out, there needs to be some passing of time for people to reflect on an event and what it really means in the larger scheme of things.

Thankfully the college football ones they've had have all been good, save U Part 2, which again suffers from being too recent.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Also, just because I'm a Raiders fan, I have to recommend Straight Outta L.A. The story of the Raiders moving to Los Angeles, becoming pop culture icons thanks to NWA, then moving back to Oakland.

This one is more tangential to sports, but I hear it's still pretty good. In that same vein, Ghosts of Ole Miss is about said university integrating, with the backdrop of them having an undefeated football team (and I believe national champions?) that no one remembers today.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Thankfully the college football ones they've had have all been good, save U Part 2, which again suffers from being too recent.

I think the U Part 2 is fine since the general theme of it carries over into the Al Golden era. There definitely doesn't need to be another one for like 20 years though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

computer parts posted:

This one is more tangential to sports, but I hear it's still pretty good. In that same vein, Ghosts of Ole Miss is about said university integrating, with the backdrop of them having an undefeated football team (and I believe national champions?) that no one remembers today.

I think the U Part 2 is fine since the general theme of it carries over into the Al Golden era. There definitely doesn't need to be another one for like 20 years though.
I saw part of Ghosts of Ole Miss. I liked it, especially since the backdrop is in the state with some of the ugliest incidents that happened during the Civil Rights Era.

Also, there won't be a "The U Part 3," because Miami football hasn't been relevant in over a decade and probably won't be for the foreseeable future (unless the university stops shortchanging the football program, something that one of the members of 2 Live Crew is very outspoken about).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The U is the most fun documentary I've ever seen, but you probably have to like sports to appreciate it.

What did people think of the most recent one, Four Falls of Buffalo? It's about the Buffalo Bills losing four straight Super Bowls, a bizarre mix of greatness and futility that has never been equaled. Kind of dragged toward the end because due to its nature it got very repetitive, but it was good as far as letting the personalities of those great players shine through. Scott Norwood makes me wanna cry. Marv Levy is loving awesome.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
30 for 30 is ESPN's greatest contribution to society and I will forever appreciate Bill Simmons for making it happen even if I hate a lot of the poo poo he does.

For the TV nerds in here, Danny Pudi (Abed from Community) made a great little short under the 30 for 30 name about Marquette's jersey design in the 70s.

There's also a devastating short about Richard Jewell, who had his life ruined because he did his job during the 1996 Olympics. :smith:

I think those are both up for free on ESPN's site.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They also just did a short about the Von Erichs. I guess they figured somethings are too depressing to stretch out into an hour or two.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'd like to necro this thread because of all the new editions coming out. I've been binging on these and my favorite so far is probably Winning Time with Reggie Miller. I wish he'd had a Shaq-like movie career.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Here's an update on the Hillsborough incident. After more than 25 years, there is some form of justice for the 96.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Saw this posted in the general chat thread and happy to see it.

Past month or so I've been binge watching all the episodes Netflix has and a few they don't. I'm probably around over 20 watched and I have loved them all. I was never that big of a sport fan especially college sports so most episodes are completely new to me in every way.

My favorites to pick (which is really hard and in no order):
Survive and Advance (Coach Valvano & NC State)
Ungaurded (Chris Herren)
The U part 1 & 2
Youngstown Boys (Maurice Clarett)
Fantastic Lies (Duke lacrosse)

The OJ one was also really cool how they did no narration for it and play clips piecing the day together. Help show that day to me cause I was only 4 when it happened.

While I enjoyed all of the ones I've watched it's a bit sad that so many have sad or bad endings in life. Again since I don't follow sports close I never new the amount of scandals involved.

And Jonathon Coachman recently said there is a 30 for 30 planned on the XFL.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

nature6pk posted:

The Two Escobars is probably the best in the series. Also check out Into the Wind.
Into the Wind is very underrated. It also serves as a helpful reminder the the Quebecois are assholes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just watched Fantastic Lies and now I hate everything

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
is Catching Hell a 30 for 30 or not

irregardless it's a cool sports documentary

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Imagine Byner fumbling in the Twitter era

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Slaying the Badger is great if only because Greg Lemond does not get nearly enough credit for his accomplishments in the wake of Armstrong's PR war against him

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I enjoyed the Allen Iverson one for its insights into his youth.

Pony Excess is amazing. The USFL one is good just to hear Neuheisel sing the San Antonio Gunslingers theme.

Disappointing were Survive and Advance and Requiem for the Big East.

Completely awful was I Hate Christian Laettner.

I've seen a handful of the shorts. If you can find Cutthroat, it's fantastic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ein cooler Typ posted:

is Catching Hell a 30 for 30 or not

irregardless it's a cool sports documentary
Yes it was one of them. I know it was delayed while they tried to get Bartman to do an interview. Originally it was going to be released with the first 30 films.

Next month ESPN is releasing a 6 parter 30 for 30 about OJ, which some people have already seen and are saying it's the best thing they've done so far.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I enjoyed the Allen Iverson one for its insights into his youth.

Pony Excess is amazing. The USFL one is good just to hear Neuheisel sing the San Antonio Gunslingers theme.

Disappointing were Survive and Advance and Requiem for the Big East.

I've seen a handful of the shorts. If you can find Cutthroat, it's fantastic.

Watch June 17, 1994

e: this goes for everyone in this thread, and indeed everyone in general

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I Hate Christian Laettner was fine on content, but that author, Andy Bagwell....I have never seen a person come across as such a miserable, bitter, annoying rear end in a top hat over the success of someone he didn't like. I don't think he could have possibly been more whiny. It single-handedly ruined the show.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Four Days in October is easily the worst 30 for 30. There's no dramatic arc, just Boston jack off material.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's really good, actually.

jk it's not because bill simmons and lenny clarke are annoying as gently caress. it'd be good without em tho.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Y-Hat posted:

Here's an update on the Hillsborough incident. After more than 25 years, there is some form of justice for the 96.

The BBC, who co-produced the Hillsborough 30 for 30, showed it last weekend as it had been unable to show it due to the inquest. It had an extended ending with most of the people interviewed added to the end after the jury returned their verdict. Another thing was that there were a few segments which were cut from the US broadcast: one involved the Special PC (guy with the beard) relaying the story of his radio falling into the crush, and someone who was being crushed to death grabbing it and giving it back to him, and another involving one of the cops radioing for help while on duty after the disaster as he'd had a breakdown and pissed himself. It's still an amazingly powerful piece of journalism and the general consensus was that it should be essential viewing for everyone about how a government can enact a cover-up that involves almost all parts of the establishment

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's really good, actually.

jk it's not because bill simmons and lenny clarke are annoying as gently caress. it'd be good without em tho.

They don't even explain the Curse of the Bambino or Buckner, why should I care if they win? poo poo, they don't even go over the first three games of the series because they felt it was better use of the docu's time to show fat drunk people jumping up and down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

It's still an amazingly powerful piece of journalism and the general consensus was that it should be essential viewing for everyone about how a government can enact a cover-up that involves almost all parts of the establishment
It's also a testament to how long a government can be callous towards its own citizens. Considering how much Thatcher disliked soccer and her contempt for its mostly working-class fans, it's not a surprise that such a miscarriage of justice happened under her watch. God, what an awful person she was.

The documentary is a real roller coaster of emotions over the running time. The first hour is shock and horror, most of the rest is anger and outrage, but in that last bit, there is hope and optimism. People really should watch this. It's still on Netflix, so no excuses.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 19, 2016

• Locked thread