Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Welcome to Secret Hitler, a hidden role game for ten players! In this game, you will play the role of a member of the Reichstag in Weimar Germany. Most of you will be Liberals or Fascists, but one of you is the SECRET HITLER! Each team wins by passing enough of their faction's policies. The Liberals can also win by killing Hitler, and the Fascist by electing Hitler Chancellor after passing at least three Fascist policies.

THE ROLES

LIBERALS

The Liberals are basically analogous to Vanilla Town. They have no knowledge of any other players' roles, and win when either five Liberal policies are enacted, or when Hitler is killed. There will be 6 Liberals in this game.

FASCISTS

The Fascists are the scum in Secret Hitler. They know who the other Fascists are, and also know who Hitler is. The Fascists win when six Fascist policies are enacted, or when Hitler is elected Chancellor after at least three Fascist policies have been enacted. There will be 3 Fascists in this game.

HITLER

Hitler is a very Bad Man and the Fascists' secret Trump card. Hitler does not know who any of their fellow Fascists are, but is on their team and wins when six Fascist policies are enacted, or when they are elected Chancellor after at least three Fascist policies have been enacted. There can be only one Hitler.

GAMEPLAY

The flow of a game of Secret Hitler is similar to The Resistance or Avalon. The phases of gameplay are ELECTION, LEGISLATION, and EXECUTIVE ACTION

ELECTION
Each round there will be a President. Similar to the Mission Leader in Avalon, players will take turns being President in a randomly-determined turn order. The President appoints a Chancellor, and all players will either vote JA or NEIN for the President's appointee. The votes will be cast in secret via PM to me, and then publicly revealed simultaneously. The President may not appoint a player who was President or Chancellor during the preceding turn. If the majority votes JA, play proceeds to the Legislation phase. If the majority votes NEIN, or in the case of a tie, the Chancellor is not approved, the Presidency passes to the next player in the order, and the appointment process repeats. If no Chancellor is approved for three consecutive votes, the people revolt, the top policy of the policy deck is enacted automatically, and the Presidency passes to the next player in order.

LEGISLATION
Once a Chancellor is approved, play proceeds to the Legislation phase. The President draws the top three cards of the policy deck, which contains 11 Fascist policies and 6 Liberal policies. The President discards one card face-down and passes the remaining two cards to the Chancellor. The Chancellor discards one of these two cards and passes the remaining card back to the President, who enacts the policy. It is entirely possible for all three of the cards drawn to Liberal or Fascist, and so it is possible that a Liberal President and Chancellor will be forced to enact a Fascist policy, and vice versa for a Fascist government and Liberal policies. If the deck has less than three cards in it at the beginning of the Legislation phase, any remaining cards are shuffled together with the discard pile and this becomes the new deck.

EXECUTIVE ACTION
If the policy that the President enacts is Fascist, then depending on how many Fascist policies have been enacted, the President gets to immediately use a power. For example, the first Fascist policy allows the President to investigate a player and learn their alignment (Liberal or Fascist, Hitler shows as Fascist). The more Fascist policies are enacted, the more powerful the executive powers get.

The Tracks:
FASCIST

Policies passed: 4

LIBERAL

Policies passed: 2

PDF of the Rules: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/502769/Secret_Hitler_Rules.pdf

PRESIDENTIAL TURN ORDER
1 imgay
2 Kashuno
3 Hiipfire
4 merk
5 Murmur Twin
6 Birdstrike
7 JakeP
8 CapitalistPig
9 Tommunist
10 Podima
Current President in bold

EXAKT Science fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in!

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Alright we're full! Once about half of the presigns confirm, I will send out roles and we can get started!

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Yes plz

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So this is basically Resistance with a fresh red and yellow coat of paint. Neat.

What's the Veto Power that's referenced on Space 5 of the Fascist track?

Also, are spaces 4 and 5 on the Fascist track the only way people can be killed, or am I missing something?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Ok

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Podima posted:

So this is basically Resistance with a fresh red and yellow coat of paint. Neat.

What's the Veto Power that's referenced on Space 5 of the Fascist track?

Also, are spaces 4 and 5 on the Fascist track the only way people can be killed, or am I missing something?

From the rules:

quote:

Veto Power: After five fascist policies have been enacted, the
Executive branch gains much broader power over which policies are
enacted. The President draws three policies, discards one, and
passes the remaining two to the Chancellor as usual. Then
Chancellor may, instead of enacting either policy, say “I wish to
veto this agenda.” If the President consents, both policies are
discarded and the Presidency placard passes to the left as usual.
If the President does not consent, the Chancellor must enact one
of the two policies handed to him.
Each use of the veto power represents an inactive government and
advances the election tracker by one.

And yes, those spaces on the Fascist track are the only way to kill anyone.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Edited OP to add a link to a PDF of the rules.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
confirmed

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
confirming

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
confirmere

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
K that's enough, sending out roles now.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
PMs are out! Standard Mafia rules apply; no editing posts, no out of thread communication, no posting mod communication, etc.

Once enough players confirm, we can get going!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hello I am Hitler

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I am Hitler

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
NICE TRY FILTHY LIBERAL

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This isn't my first Hitler rodeo

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Confirming nega-Hitler!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
du

du hast

du hast mich

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I like how the "strategy" section of the rules tells everyone to claim liberal and here we are.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
i'm gay hitler

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
i havent read the rules yet i will later

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

I like how the "strategy" section of the rules tells everyone to claim liberal and here we are.

Cool effortpost #vote kashuno

BTW who here has played Resistance before? In that game my preferred strategy is to always nix the first party chosen at minimum since the best way for town/liberals/whatever to get information is by seeing who votes what on each party submission, and turbo-approving each party denies that information. Same thing theoretically holds true for this game, I would think.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
My role pm said capitalist is that like hitler for liberals?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Merk

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Alright I think that's enough to get us rolling. The OP has been updated with the Presidential turn order.

imgay is the first President, and will nominate a Chancellor in-thread.

The game begins!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why am I the last president :mad:

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Podima posted:

Why am I the last president :mad:

THE RANDOM NUMBER GODS HAVE SPOKEN

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I nominate jakep

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Wow what an honour

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

imgay posted:

I nominate jakep

JakeP has been nominated Chancellor! Everyone please submit your vote of JA or NEIN to me via PM. Once I have the votes, they will be publicly revealed!

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can the president vote?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

imgay posted:

Can the president vote?

Everyone votes, including the President!

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My ballet is cast

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
vote early vote often

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

BTW who here has played Resistance before? In that game my preferred strategy is to always nix the first party chosen at minimum since the best way for town/liberals/whatever to get information is by seeing who votes what on each party submission, and turbo-approving each party denies that information. Same thing theoretically holds true for this game, I would think.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

how does that work if you announce it as a strategy

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone who doesn't vote me chancelor is a filthy commie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU