Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I was listening to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCXTmBAk5C0

In the original Fable the writing, gameplay, visuals and music all complemented each other to create a beautiful storybook aesthetic. It made me realize a little bit of why the other two games are such dogshit in comparison.

Besides having no soul, the sequels (mostly talking about Fable II since I couldn't even finish Fable III) exaggerated all the original's problems.

Fable's combat wasn't very deep unless you were a mage, but even so it was had a few fun tricks you could do and felt like an arcade beat-em-up. Other games' combat is just repetitive.

Fable had one or two parts of the story that forced outcomes or put you in circumstances that were unfitting for your character, like Bargate. But in Fable II the whole loving game is like that. The narrative constantly humiliates your character, takes away your agency, and comes up with batshit contrivances to make itself work.

The worst part was how they started using two-axis morality (good/evil and purity/corruption). There were less consequences of alignment, fewer things that change it, and it was completely wrongheaded to try to shoehorn moral complexity into a series where you go blonde and get a halo for eating tofu.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

Gayble.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Um.. is anyone interested in talking about Fable in this thread.. show of hands.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

net cafe scandal posted:

Um.. is anyone interested in talking about Fable in this thread.. show of hands.

one time the games fable 2 thread called me a minmaxer

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

o/

I think Fable 2 was the one that got closest to living up to Molyneux's overhyping, and that Fable 3 was a step back and didn't really do much to innovate things.

And now it's just a franchise that Microsoft is milking.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i dont understand how anyone found anything about fable 2 interesting and reading reviews after i played it was really confusing

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

zen death robot posted:

It was awful but I payed $10 for it at Best Buy a year after it came out

i think i got it for free from a xbox live glitch or something

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

o/

I think Fable 2 was the one that got closest to living up to Molyneux's overhyping, and that Fable 3 was a step back and didn't really do much to innovate things.

And now it's just a franchise that Microsoft is milking.

Fable II did have certain things that could happen with the passage of time, like trees growing and houses being built, that Molyneux originally promised for Fable. I respect that but don't think it makes it a better game really.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Fable 2 was great in many ways, including greatly flawed. I still really liked it and even replayed it last year.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Easily the gayest avatar I have witnessed in recent memory.

Oh ya. I played a lot of Fable: The Lost Chapters as a kiddo and thought it was Badass. So I guess I never understood the Hate for it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

elf help book posted:

i dont understand how anyone found anything about fable 2 interesting and reading reviews after i played it was really confusing

Fable 2 had my least favorite game review of all time, on Eurogamer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fable-ii-review

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
you go from being able to do cool rear end insane hell pillar magic in fable 1, to doing kinda cool but eventually lame magic in fable 2, to needing special gloves to do magic at all in fable 3. its loving stupid

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Easily the gayest avatar I have witnessed in recent memory.

If you don't like Papyrus or Bernie Sanders, you aren't human.

Larry Parrish posted:

Oh ya. I played a lot of Fable: The Lost Chapters as a kiddo and thought it was Badass. So I guess I never understood the Hate for it.

People didn't like Fable TLC? I didn't have a problem with it. I mean the last part was kind of tacked on but it was cool to be able to kill the guildmaster and flesh out Briar Rose more.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

klapman posted:

you go from being able to do cool rear end insane hell pillar magic in fable 1, to doing kinda cool but eventually lame magic in fable 2, to needing special gloves to do magic at all in fable 3. its loving stupid

Lol yeah. Is the magic nerfing representative of the series losing its magic? Or were the devs just really gay?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Always thought this game looked like rear end OP.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I liked the spell that launched a bunch of magic swords in the air that then shot out into enemies around you. That was a cool spell

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

People didn't like Fable TLC? I didn't have a problem with it. I mean the last part was kind of tacked on but it was cool to be able to kill the guildmaster and flesh out Briar Rose more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1QzUU3Ac8Y&t=1472s

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Always thought this game looked like rear end OP.

The environments and their atmospheres looked pretty good imo, but yeah it's western so of course the characters are going to be ugly as sin with bad emoting. I do still like the cartoony style of the original better than the sequels though.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fable 3's big moral choice at the end was choosing between using the kingdom's money to help the people or oppressing them and using it to save them from a Prince of Persia style army of shadows. Unfortunately by the time that came along you'd be so rich from owning all the land in the kingdom it doesn't even matter.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Yes I do remember Fable OP infact I thi-

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SANDERISTAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*A bunch of college-aged kids come in with EVERYTHING for a huge lecture on economic policy, why there will be world peace if Bernie Sanders is elected president, and how much they love Undertale and how cute the "spoopy" skeleton from it is*

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

*A bunch of college-aged kids come in with EVERYTHING for a huge lecture on economic policy, why there will be world peace if Bernie Sanders is elected president, and how much they love Undertale and how cute the "spoopy" skeleton from it is*

lmao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Jewel Repetition posted:

how can u call that guy a sub human then try to have a conversation with him.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I watched some guys play fable 2 and they ran into a bug where the character slid around instead of walking. That's one of my favorite videos ever.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

net cafe scandal posted:

Not really its a mediocre action rpg and the only notable thing about it was molyneux's insane promises

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
You were going to be able to drop an acorn and come back 20 years later and the there would be a tree there.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ragg posted:

You were going to be able to drop an acorn and come back 20 years later and the there would be a tree there.

The game hasn't been out for 20 years.. check back later

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

net cafe scandal posted:

The game hasn't been out for 20 years.. check back later

There should be at least a sapling there by now.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Grow up.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
fable 2's framerate was so bad i couldnt play it

fable 1 was cool and had some really good glitches like being able to stop time as long as you want

• Locked thread