Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

On 1-1 in Mario, I jumped in the pit and died. This was when I first played it. I'm much better at games now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

This thread is probably a joke but I do actually think it's an epic idea to talk about specific holes where Mario died in people's experiences of the game series. I'm trying to think right now and wish I could say exactly which holes.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

that one where you had to sprint jump because normal jumping wasn't enough and you had played up to that point not knowing there's a sprint button

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I feel like even as a kid I knew from the first time I got and used a fire flower that you can sprint.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

(in grandpa voice) Have you fallen into a hole yet?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After looking at this thread tag 4 times, I can safely say: Its not good

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRozarc1kSo Did he actually fall in? Was that the real Mario?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

On 1-1 in Mario, I jumped in the pit and died. This was when I first played it. I'm much better at games now.

Same but in the first Super Mario World course.

rander39
May 22, 2012
That hole near the end of 8-1 where you have to sprint jump onto a single block and then sprint jump again. Basically a sprint double jump. Its where most people who never beat Super Mario Bros. give up.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm still extremely proud of beating Super Mario Bros for the first time a year or so ago, as Small Mario.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

SMB3 stage 8-2 where you have to cross a large gap using the incredibly janky note blocks

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Beware but hole

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Sending kids as young as 16 over to die in some god forsaken hole... that's marios legacy

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Work Friend Keven posted:

Sending kids as young as 16 over to die in some god forsaken hole... that's marios legacy

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Wormskull posted:

I'm still extremely proud of beating Super Mario Bros for the first time a year or so ago, as Small Mario.

Now do Lost Levels as small Luigi.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Zuh? Buh?? Here's an amazing video game fact: Mario is falling into a hole on the Super Mario Bros box cover art!

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
I know the thread title is just a joke but its actually really good imo

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

no they will not posted:

Zuh? Buh?? Here's an amazing video game fact: Mario is falling into a hole on the Super Mario Bros box cover art!

That's not a hole it's lava. Learn the difference.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Caithness posted:

That's not a hole it's lava. Learn the difference.

It's a hole filled with lava. Are we really going to split hairs here dude?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
the first time I fell into the castlevania's symphony of the night's first hole mindblown.webm

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

program666 posted:

the first time I fell into the castlevania's symphony of the night's first hole mindblown.webm

lol I never thought of it like that probably because SOTN or Aria of Sorrow was my first castlevania but I can see that being fairly mind blowing actually.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Jerkops posted:

It's a hole filled with lava. Are we really going to split hairs here dude?

IF the hole is filled its not really a hole anymore, just a big pile of lava really.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Pewdiepie posted:

IF the hole is filled its not really a hole anymore, just a big pile of lava really.
This guy gets it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

A deep enough hole on earth would also be filled with lava. Hell, before that it would be filled with dirt. Does that make it not a hole. Just food for though.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Wormskull posted:

lol I never thought of it like that probably because SOTN or Aria of Sorrow was my first castlevania but I can see that being fairly mind blowing actually.

sotn was my first castlevania too but I played near release and at that time the "no ground means bottomless pit" rule was still pretty strong on my brain

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

A deep enough hole on earth would also be filled with lava. Hell, before that it would be filled with dirt. Does that make it not a hole. Just food for though.

digital gaming holes don't need to follow how the real world works. a hole that goes off the bottom of the screen and kills you, that isn't filled up by anything.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
What if the holes in Mario Maker got filled up with dead Marios until you could just walk over them

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mario doesn't die, Bowser just resets the level so he can try again.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
theres a huge jump right after a pipe in 8-2 that took me forever to get past

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
In super Mario maker, they ruined it when the secret audio cutscene of Mario walking back to the beginning of the level

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

every time I play SMB1 I second-guess my jump when trying to jump on the first goomba and die.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

every time I play SMB1 I second-guess my jump when trying to jump on the first goomba and die.

sounds like the only hole you should fall in is your grave

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That hole is a bitch

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Paper Mario Sticker Star, Mario picks up a hole and moves it somewhere else, then falls in and dies.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

In Paper Mario Sticker Star, Mario picks up a hole and moves it somewhere else, then falls in and dies.

:staredog:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This changes everything.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

This thread is probably a joke but I do actually think it's an epic idea to talk about specific holes where Mario died in people's experiences of the game series. I'm trying to think right now and wish I could say exactly which holes.

There are too many to list for me

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Theres one specifoc hole in I believe c-4 in lost levels that gave me hell. That's some hole. In case u arent int he k ow, lost lebels is basically the dark souls of mario, and the letter stages instead of number stages are the dark souls of tge dakr soups of mario...hole SHNIKEY!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
so the holes arent bottomless?

• Locked thread