Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
when i worked at compusa a woman came in asking for something to connect her sons xbox 360 to the screws on the back of their tv
i couldve told her to google for a vhf transformer and an xbox 360 rf adapter but i had a feeling even doing just that would pose major hurdles for her so i said she would need a new tv
she looked so sad at that news but i have a feeling thats not the biggest problem she had at the time

Fredrik1 posted:

Using an emulator for retro gaming is just bad.
how long has it been since you bathed irl?

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

ohsosad posted:

Is jackie even a real name? i've met a few jacks but adding a 'ie' to jack and saying it is as real name is stupid.

Donaldie
Ronaldie
Larryie
Danielie
Harryie
Jessicaie

Obviously a fake ad.

jackie is a girl. its short for jaclyn.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

thathonkey posted:

Theyre pretty hard to smash actually without a big sledgehammer. The glass is thick and then there's a huge magnet inside

It's wonderful. Like a pinata filled with broken glass and old circuits

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Can this also be the 'delusional people who think their Beatles records that literally sold in the millions are worth something' thread?

If it's old, it's worth something.

OG Herman's Hermit's LP all beat and scratched to poo poo and taped up? $200 GOOD CONDITION ORIGINAL FIRST PRESSING 1964!!!!

1979 Ford Fairmont needs engine, transmission, paint, interior, and front bumper? $5,000 ALL METAL DON'T MAKE 'EM LIKE THIS ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 13, 2015

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

as a casual gamer it sounds like i should look into this "emulator" thing

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

as a casual gamer it sounds like i should look into this "emulator" thing
im gonna play that super mario rpg some day

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

your name always makes me think of hi-c OP

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

thathonkey posted:

drat really i just got a ps4 for $300 (refurb but still). the 75 includes 3 controllers and a couple decent games (one being GTA V) maybe i should ask a little more...

is it better to get the 300 ps4 refurbished at best buy, the stupid uncharted bundle for 300 at best buy, or neither/other?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
dunno i got the refurb like i said it seems fine so far :shrug: i wouldnt ever play uncharted those games are dumb as gently caress

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
where is Jackie getting all these goddamn TVs

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you think this is bad, check out fliers for old computers. I saw someone trying to sell an iMac for $150.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pick posted:

If you think this is bad, check out fliers for old computers. I saw someone trying to sell an iMac for $150.

'antique boutiques' is the proper termage as per American Pickers, hmm yes.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
some people just like huffing the ozone smell coming off a just-powered-up CRT screen

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Nonsense posted:

'antique boutiques' is the proper termage as per American Pickers, hmm yes.

What's up with that chick on American Pickers. I know the two guys gotta be acouple but what's her story? What triggers her?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
If the tv is old enough to have dials, I believe a lot of them used gold for the contacts which you can melt and sell.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Jackie you yourself said it best when you said
There's been a break in the continuum

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
Jackie, remember when we watched Memento on that Sylvania? I wanted to ask you if you'd get a tattoo with my name on it, and I imagined you said no, because how could you ever forget my name? I didn't say that because I was shy. But I still remember how you didn't say that, Jackie, and it still warms me.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

FuriousGeorge posted:

some people just like huffing the ozone smell coming off a just-powered-up CRT screen

Millennials will never know the joy of degaussing a CRT :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd9nOtX-CJg

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Pick posted:

if its old its worth a lot durrrrrrrrr im a retard

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-HP-...L4AAOSwI-BWMD88

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPl...gUAAOSw8-tWU5If

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Horniest Manticore posted:

Jackie, remember when we watched Memento on that Sylvania? I wanted to ask you if you'd get a tattoo with my name on it, and I imagined you said no, because how could you ever forget my name? I didn't say that because I was shy. But I still remember how you didn't say that, Jackie, and it still warms me.
Dear Jackie,
My love for you allows me to pray to the spirit of eternal beauty and tenderness mirrored in your eyes or fling you down under me on that softy belly of yours and gently caress you up behind, like a hog riding a sow, glorying in the very stink and sweat that rises from your arse, glorying in the open shape of your upturned dress and white girlish drawers and in the confusion of your flushed cheeks and tangled hair. It allows me to burst into tears of pity and love at some slight word, to tremble with love for you at the sounding of some chord or cadence of music or to lie heads and tails with you feeling your fingers fondling and tickling my ballocks or stuck up in me behind and your hot lips sucking off my cock while my head is wedged in between your fat thighs, my hands clutching the round cushions of your bum and my tongue licking ravenously up your rank red oval office. I have taught you almost to swoon at the hearing of my voice singing or murmuring to your soul the passion and sorrow and mystery of life and at the same time have taught you to make filthy signs to me with your lips and tongue, to provoke me by obscene touches and noises, and even to do in my presence the most shameful and filthy act of the body. You remember the day you pulled up your clothes and let me lie under you looking up at you while you did it? Then you were ashamed even to meet my eyes. You are mine, darling, mine! I love you.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i have family members who are hoarders and they always pull the "no no, it's worth $whatever i can't get rid of it" bullshit with everything

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I had a 36" Zenith 720p TV around the year 2003. As a freshly graduated college student, I had to move that thing from apartment to apartment probably 5-6 times. It weighed almost 200 pounds. There were no nice handles for holding it, so you had to put your fingers under the bottom edges, which basically gouged deeply into your hands. If you had leather glove available, it was a lot better, but then you couldn't secure your grip as well and risked dropping the loving thing.

Ultimately I ended up giving it to my wife's parents. I don't know what they did with it in the end, but one day a couple years ago it just wasn't in their house anymore. It was a pretty sweet TV for it's day, just a total bitch to move. Also it was made in the USA.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Dirty Sanchez posted:

Dear Jackie,
My love for you allows me to pray to the spirit of eternal beauty and tenderness mirrored in your eyes or fling you down under me on that softy belly of yours and gently caress you up behind, like a hog riding a sow, glorying in the very stink and sweat that rises from your arse, glorying in the open shape of your upturned dress and white girlish drawers and in the confusion of your flushed cheeks and tangled hair. It allows me to burst into tears of pity and love at some slight word, to tremble with love for you at the sounding of some chord or cadence of music or to lie heads and tails with you feeling your fingers fondling and tickling my ballocks or stuck up in me behind and your hot lips sucking off my cock while my head is wedged in between your fat thighs, my hands clutching the round cushions of your bum and my tongue licking ravenously up your rank red oval office. I have taught you almost to swoon at the hearing of my voice singing or murmuring to your soul the passion and sorrow and mystery of life and at the same time have taught you to make filthy signs to me with your lips and tongue, to provoke me by obscene touches and noises, and even to do in my presence the most shameful and filthy act of the body. You remember the day you pulled up your clothes and let me lie under you looking up at you while you did it? Then you were ashamed even to meet my eyes. You are mine, darling, mine! I love you.

crt-memories.tumblr.com

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ein cooler Typ posted:

if you look on C's list you can find people giving away CRTs for free

I have a few I use for my retro gaming collection

did you know that modern pcs can play nes games perfectly and you have the advantage of not showing guests your wall of shameful video games

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Robo Reagan posted:

did you know that modern pcs can play nes games perfectly and you have the advantage of not showing guests your wall of shameful video games

Just tell them that you make mad bank on youtube from your retro-gaming hobby.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

This was fun because he keeps talking about the cathode ray tube "your watching right now."

Haha nope. Nice 30 year-old technology you got there 80s losers but you can keep it.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
jackie must have loving manure for her brains

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Have any of you considered that these could be Jackie Chan's old tvs!!?!?!

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Ein cooler Typ posted:

if you look on C's list you can find people giving away CRTs for free

I have a few I use for my retro gaming collection

Why don't you put up next to her flyer craiglist links of people giving TVs away for free?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
jackie can suck my loving dick !

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
My little goonies come round yonder and let papa Avalanche tell you bout the olden days of computerin:

Back in mah day, we had no fancy color hi definition ten eighty pee pees with matte coatin and touch sensitive power buttuns.

If you wanted to get your game on TO THE EXTREME!!!!!!! you had 2 choices of colors: green or black. The Steve Jerbs at the time was a wonderous benevolent man and crafted a maschine to let us have BOTH!

Behold:

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Can this also be the 'delusional people who think their Beatles records that literally sold in the millions are worth something' thread?

Their copy of Yesterday and Today with the butcher cover underneath is

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
tell jackie to hold those tvs for me

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
My freshman year a bunch of idiot pieces of poo poo were filming a short film or something, took up our whole rec room (they just sort of squatted in there). They had a whole bunch of CRTs they was disassembling, a lot of us were disappointed it didn't result in "tragedy." Good chance most are homeless or work retail so things worked out how it should've anyway I guess. :shrug:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

BigBoss posted:

jackie is a girl. its short for jaclyn.

It's short for Jacqueline.

None of this quirky/cute intentional misspelling poo poo.

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

Doc Block posted:

It's short for Jacqueline.

None of this quirky/cute intentional misspelling poo poo.

Bullshit. You're just adding extra letters to make it seem fancier, like Ashly > Aisleigh

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Actually I think you'll find that it's spelled Ashley.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I paid $999 for my CRT and I still use it and it weighs 400lbs and when I move out whoever moves in after me gets it for free.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Julie And Candy posted:

Bullshit. You're just adding extra letters to make it seem fancier, like Ashly > Aisleigh

Jackie Kennedy -> Jacqueline Kennedy, checkmate. :colbert:

edit: it'd be nice to have a CRT to play old games on, but hell if I'm actually gonna keep one around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Doc Block posted:

edit: it'd be nice to have a CRT to play old games on, but hell if I'm actually gonna keep one around.

it's only really worth it if you get an old endoscopy or broadcast monitor and use actual RGB from your consoles on it like a videophile sperg. otherwise, lol at getting someone else's old spider-infested consumer-grade Trinitrons for your old SNES games. it's not you wasting money on yourself so much as it is you inheriting the disposal curse from the previous owners in the latter case.

• Locked thread