Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
It's so dumb when people complain about how unfair it is that their car naturally loses lots of resale value as time passes. As if that is a strange phenomenon they could not possibly have known about, and not what happens to 100% of cars 100% of the time barring some collector's poo poo with Princess Di's embalmed head embedded into the dash or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Tell Jackie to hang on to that 19" B/W Magnavox.
It will be worth a fortune when the next hipster fad takes off.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

ghlbtsk posted:

not a bad thought. since nobody these days actually watches TV, having a vintage TV will probably be a good living room setpiece for your dumb cocktail parties.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

My Brother had one of those old cabinet TVs taking up a bunch of space. He only kept it because they can be made into a decent drink cabinet. Ended up getting rid of it and three other TVs when the local council offered to recycle them for free.

why is there a map of skyrim in that booze tv

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Crow_Robot posted:

Guys should I buy these HOME COMPUTERS I found on Craigslist.

I hear Home makes some drat good computers, especially that Computer model. Plus it's in excellent condition!!!

http://tucson.craigslist.org/sys/5351794305.html

i like that he built a henge to display them

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

ghlbtsk posted:

this is pretty much the equivalent of walking into the last remaining used bookstore in town and trying to sell them all your Stephen King paperbacks

I did this except it was all my Stephen Erickson books. Plus a few boxes of books themed along lines of dfw and foer from when I thought about stuff. Book store dude laughed and gave me a $10 credit at the store out of pity. I bought a cookbook for my wife with it. I feel hollow some how.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Nien posted:

I did this except it was all my Stephen Erickson books. Plus a few boxes of books themed along lines of dfw and foer from when I thought about stuff. Book store dude laughed and gave me a $10 credit at the store out of pity. I bought a cookbook for my wife with it. I feel hollow some how.

does your wife not cook or?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i have some first printing illustrated pre-special edition first printing gunslinger books, which if feel like were maybe worth something? well, were, before my ex wife stored them in a dank basement for a year.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
yeah if it really is the first edition of the gunslinger it might be worth money to collectors. one of the few first edition Kings that are like Carrie and Salem's Lot

after that he became hella popular and all the First Editions had huge printings so they aren't rare

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

JnnyThndrs posted:

I don't care what you guys say, I'm not getting rid of my old CRT TV.

based on this picture im 99% certain you own radioactive fiestaware plates which are actually valuable colletctors items unlike CRTs

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

mdm posted:

does your wife not cook or?

In this day and age!?! Good luck just getting them into the kitchen, amiright guys?

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Jackie, baby, the plan was to smuggle drugs in worthless old CRTs. You gotta take them out before you sell them. We talked about this, honey.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

My parents where early adopters and bought a plasma TV back in 2003. The picture's been slowly getting shittier and shittier after a decade+, so now all the colours are faded pastels and the black level is middish-grey.
Of course they refuse to chuck it out because they paid something like $17,000 for it :supaburn:

edit; lol I just remembered they stopped making plasma TV's last year.

Toys For Ass Bum fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 14, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I bought a 48" 1081i widescreen projection TV in tyool 2004, for like 1200 bucks. The red projector went out of alignment and I ended up giving it way a few years ago to save having to haul it to the dump, fortunately I got some takers on craigslist.

If only I'd waited a couple years. :smith:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

wayne curr posted:

edit; lol I just remembered they stopped making plasma TV's last year.

did they? i still have a 50" plasma tv in the spare bedroom (got a new 55" led for the living room) and it's quite nice for watching movies on because it's darker than led tvs, even new ones. terrible for video games though because the hud will show up for hours after if you play anything for more than about an hour

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

Crow_Robot posted:

I hear Home makes some drat good computers, especially that Computer model. Plus it's in excellent condition!!!

$275 for spawn of the devil compaqs with celerons in them. they foisted these onto so many schools and they're awful

Fetus
Jul 13, 2001

Chill'n in my womb

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's such a good monitor I actually looked into repairing it when mine died. A few pages of "be careful or you will literally x-ray yourself to death" made me abandon the idea, however.

drat. At the very least you probably just needed to solder in new capacitors. It's pretty safe working on CRTs, you just gotta discharge them properly which can be pretty scary at first but it's not a big deal at all. You might go pee pee a little when you hear that pop sound for the first time though.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
using an apostrophe, when simply concatenating ss is clumsy, is orthographically acceptable and nobody will prove me wrong :colbert:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OP should have an awfully long and drawn out conversation with her where he reveals only at the very end that he wants to be paid $75 to take her massive box of death away.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

You basically have to pay or trick people to remove CRT's here. Some lady suckered my old roomates into picking up a 30 inch unit that looked like it was a flatscreen. She made them promise before they arrived that they would take the tv no matter what. Of course it weighed about 150 lbs and she had lost the cables. For all I know it's still sitting in the old apartment, unplugged. I don't think it even took RCA cables.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Sometimes I miss those old days of having to trick your TV into thinking that it was receiving your stuff on Channel 3 :3:

Also messing with the color settings was fun.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

ghlbtsk posted:

I actually had a moment of nostalgia on eBay when I saw someone selling those little handheld TVs with the dial on the side. They were awesome for when your parents were watching the main TV. Then I realised there's no more analogue signal, so they'd just be useless plastic boxes. Unless you could convert old B&W TVs to digital I'm not sure even hipsters would want them.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Luxury Communism posted:

using an apostrophe, when simply concatenating ss is clumsy, is orthographically acceptable and nobody will prove me wrong :colbert:

theres nothing clumsy about "TVs" you dummy

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Lol are there a bunch of children in this thread or are normally aged people pretending to be clueless children because they never knew anything about nothing but can finally ride the ignorance wave

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
on the edge of my seat about this punctuation dispute

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Formal written English demands an apostrophe after abbreviations, like "TV's."

There isn't any argument, that is just how it is done in formal written American English (the only English that matters).

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

satanic splash-back posted:

There isn't any argument, that is just how it is done in formal written American English (the only English that matters).

I don't know who this Mr. Formal is, but there are other opinions, such as that of Mr. Chicago who said, "So far as it can be done without confusion, single or multiple letters, hyphenated coinages, and numbers used as nouns (whether spelled out or in numerals) form the plural by adding s alone."

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

eSports Chaebol posted:

I don't know who this Mr. Formal is, but there are other opinions, such as that of Mr. Chicago who said, "So far as it can be done without confusion, single or multiple letters, hyphenated coinages, and numbers used as nouns (whether spelled out or in numerals) form the plural by adding s alone."
and now that youve correctly told him why his example is wrong i can tell you why you just explained that youre wrong too
tv is not properly capitalized so you would write tv's to avoid confusion
(tv itself is improper as an initialism and is actually an abbreviation)

only i am right *mic drop*

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 14, 2015

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

gary oldmans diary posted:

and now that youve correctly told him why his example is wrong i can tell you why you just explained that youre wrong too
tv is not properly capitalized so you would write tv's to avoid confusion
(tv itself is improper as an initialism and is actually an abbreviation)

only i am right *mic drop*

I believe you mean...."mike drop" :smugbert:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Crow_Robot posted:

Tucson Craigslist, where you can find 80s mustangs and early 2000s Toyotas and Hyundais 5K over bluebook and dozens of Airmen trying to sell their two year old Camaros for retail price before the bank repo's them.

Really cheap minivans as far as the eye can see, though

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I need to dispose of my old CRT monitor - even the local scrap recycling place doesn't take them.

Repurpose it?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

I need to dispose of my old CRT monitor - even the local scrap recycling place doesn't take them.

Repurpose it?

A perfect distillation of the Internet.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

Repurpose it?

Woah, that's like art or something.

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012
Do you guys remember when 19'' used to be big monitor. Could anyone even work on 14'' today?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Repurpose it?

lol if you think a cat will ever spend time in something like this
they are programmed to sleep exactly where you don't want them to. maybe if you put it right on top of the kitchen table with a bunch of fragile poo poo nearby that it can knock over, but otherwise no way

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Just leave your CRT in front of the gate to your town's dump or transfer station after closing time.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

that is a bold lie

no apostrophe is needed

it's just "TVs"

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

eSports Chaebol posted:

I believe you mean...."mike drop" :smugbert:

mike rotch :colbert:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

You and I are friends now. The video recorder (VCR) is pretty good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOULWR4h4Io

As a child my mom always flipped out whenever I used PAUSE instead of stopping the VHS tape, she said it would destroy the tape. Not sure if that's true or an urban legend.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Deranged M posted:

Do you guys remember when 19'' used to be big monitor. Could anyone even work on 14'' today?

Have you ever hard to carry or help move a 32" Sony Trinitron? It's volume to weight ratio is somewhere between lead and a fricken neutron star.

• Locked thread