Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
I suppose that weird/tiny old CRTs still have some value. Back in 2013, I got my hands on a tiny monochrome VGA monitor which was 10 inches across, shipped with one of those 286-based "electronic typewriter" things which were bullshit products for aging people who were afraid of computers back in 1985. The 286 was thrown away but the monitor worked like a champ with Win7, although it topped out at 640x480 - the picture was crisp and clear, and it would put many early 2000s LCDs to shame. I spray painted it black and sold it to a hipster :siren: for no less than $20, :siren: in TYOOL 2013. Pretty impressive for something that was literally fished out of the dumpster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

TV sets manufactured in 1980s Japan were bulletproof. I've had a Japanese-made Sanyo from 1981 that lasted no less than 27 years of everyday use. I gave it away to my grandma in 1993 or 1994 if memory serves right. We then bought a 26" CRT Sony Trinitron (made in Spain) which lasted only seven years and then a decidedly dinky Chinese-made Philips that replaced it lasted only 5 years.
Sanyo had a component video input but its video-in sockets were BNC and not the more common cinch.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

I like how you bolded 27 years as if that were somehow remarkable or specific to Japanese-made CRTs. Then again, I just generally like how.

The gotcha with that TV set isn't that it lasted for 27 of heavy use, the thing was that this TV was switched on every single day from 7 in the morning all the way to 2AM. Any other TV set pressed into such heavy use would have given up after only a few years (as Sony and Philips have demonstrated.)

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

No you dummy, what has been demonstrated is that newer televisions aren't as durable as older ones. (Well, no it hasn't but let's say it has.)

Which is exactly what I wanted to say? :confused:

• Locked thread