Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lucha Underground Returns With a New Season, January 27 on the El Rey Network and we are here to be hype as gently caress about it!

SEASON ONE SIZZLE REEL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GAnIuBKuLo
SEASON TWO OFFICIAL TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOaZ2tbDhis

Things that are known about Season Two (from LU's official Twitter):

:siren:SPOILER POLICY: PLEASE do not post full taping result spoilers in this thread, spoiler tagged or otherwise! Take that to the spoilers thread. It's okay to talk about (IN SPOILER TAGS ONLY) new members of the roster or discrete details about things. It's also okay to talk about anything that LU posts on its official Twitter or Youtube.:siren:

Why should I watch Lucha Underground?

Lucha Underground has incredible performers doing crazy poo poo in front of a hot crowd. There's lots of exciting high spots and violence. Despite having some bizarre characters, the stories are generally grounded, consistent, simple, and make emotional sense, sometimes over a very long story arc. It has some of the best and most recognizable "indie" wrestlers in the world today, some of the most athletic stars from Mexican wrestling promotions like AAA, and some guys you even may recognize if all you've ever watched is WWE.

Lucha Underground doesn't try to copy the WWE style and presentation like every other promotion. While WWE attempts to mimic the presentation of an actual sporting event like a boxing or MMA match, LU has acknowledged that it is a television show about a fictional wrestling promotion. Backstage segments are filmed in television or movie style, with multiple cameras and the idea that we are seeing this just as the omnipresent viewer and not because a cameraman is right up in the wrestlers' faces. Because of this, we get to see all the seedy backroom deals and/or murders without it being out of character. The production values are extremely high, with the matches shot by eight cameras at a time and expertly edited. Robert Rodriguez launched the El Rey Network and was at a season two taping (and actually grabbed a camera at one point to do some shooting himself), he clearly has a mandate for this to have a cinematic feel and it shows in the product.

Crowds are always going nuts, and wrestlers will do flippy poo poo off of high objects and they have the best ring announcer in the business.

I don't like foreign promotions because I don't understand what is going on.

You're in luck! Lucha Underground is broadcast with English commentary and even the promos are either in English or subtitled.

How can I watch?

Lucha Underground is broadcast on the El Rey Network. It is unclear at this time whether the Unimas broadcasts will continue for Season 2, if there will be another network, if there will be a streaming option, etc. I will update this section if more information about other sources comes out. El Rey is a hilarious network that shows mostly grindhouse films, films about cars, kung fu films, and old Miami Vice reruns, along with a couple of terrible original series and Lucha Underground.
  • If your cable provider has the El Rey Network, you can watch it there.
  • If not, you can stream El Rey along with a bunch of other stations on Sling.com. Sling offers a free 7-day trial subscription. Sling also lets you watch stuff later than it airs if you cannot catch it when it airs. Sling is $20 a month.
  • Soccer-centric streaming service http://fubo.tv has El Rey for $9.99. If you didn't want to pay $20 for Sling, and don't care about the other channels Sling has (or want to watch ALL the soccers) this may be a good deal for you. It also now has a bunch of stations in Spanish. Fubo offers a 24-hour trial subscription. Fubo doesn't have the "watch anything from the past three days" bit that Sling does, but it does offer an online-DVR capability (in beta) for upcoming soccer matches so maybe it'll do that for new LU shows, if people ask them real nicely?
  • I believe that Sling and Fubo are US-only. If none of these options are available to you, most of the usual streaming sites show LU. But please, please, please, if you have any legit way to watch it, do that. Although Seasons 2 and maybe 3 are currently being taped, the promotion still needs as many "official" eyes on it as possible to continue. Keep in mind that LU does not sell tickets to its shows or PPVs, so viewership numbers are all it has. If you have no other choice, find a way to watch it and support the show in whatever way you can (go buy a t-shirt or just spread the word). The producers have acknowledged in interviews that some people have no other way to watch and they appreciate you doing what you can in whatever way you can.
  • NEW 1/6/16 - If you live in Canada, apparently Lucha Underground will be broadcast on TLN TV starting January 30: http://tlntv.com/shows/lucha-underground - stand by to see if this indicates broader distribution about to happen elsewhere.

I didn't watch Season One, how can I catch up?

Unfortunately, right now, there is no streaming or disc set of all of Season One. I'll update this if a fully-legit method becomes available. However:
  • El Rey is apparently going to show five hours of Season 1 every Wednesday in January and then a 40 hour marathon of the whole first season the weekend before the Season 2 premiere.
  • You should be to find most or all of the episodes on various sites like DailyMotion.
  • If you just want to catch up on where storylines were at the end of the Season One, check the first three posts of the old Ultima Lucha Thread (LU's end-of-season Wrestlemania-ish event) here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3733624&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 to explain the storylines going into the show and then you can watch Ultima Lucha here: (part 1) (part 2) (part 3)
  • NEW: here's Matt Striker giving an 8 minute recap of Season One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am0TDGScqBU. It's a little scattershot, and glosses over a few things here and there, but it introduces the main characters and big storylines.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
NON-MATCH RESULT SPOILERY poo poo KNOWN TO DATE:

Things were crazy at the end of Ultima Lucha. Everyone like, fled into the desert. Where are we at the start of Season Two?

You may note that in the end-of-season vignette, Catrina and Mil were never shown leaving. As you can guess from the picture of the door above, Catrina is now in control of the Temple, since she has all of the gold aside from the Gift of the Gods. Dario's whereabouts are unknown at the start of Season Two.

Vampiro was...a little different at the end of Season One. Who are the announcers for Season Two?

Your announcers for Season Two are Matt Striker and Vampiro. I'm not sure of the reason behind Vamp not being a Vampire Pope anymore although the Season Two trailer may give a clue on that front. He does still seem to be connected to Pentagon Jr.

Who is not coming back?

Alberto del Rio, Hernandez, and Big Ryck are definitely not back, at least for now. Everyone else you would expect has been back, aside from Pimpi who I believe is injured.

Who is new to the Temple? (updated 1/10/15)

Luchadoras: Taya Valkyrie, Thunder Rosa (as Cobra), Cheerleader Melissa (as Mariposa)

Luchadores: Rey Mysterio, P.J. Black aka Justin Gabriel, Jeff Cobb, Dragon Azteca Jr. (Rey Horus), Joey Ryan, Daga

IN DARK MATCHES ONLY: Trina Michaels (managing), Kevin Kross, Tessa Blanchard, Flamita, Sami Callahan

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 11, 2016

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
That season 2 trailer is the best poo poo ever

I'm also so ridiculously hype to watch Rey wrestle again. I rarely watch AAA because almost every time I do the show sucks

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

schweens posted:

That season 2 trailer is the best poo poo ever

I'm also so ridiculously hype to watch Rey wrestle again. I rarely watch AAA because almost every time I do the show sucks

I will tell you the roof blew off the loving place when Rey came in. I think it beat the pop El Patron got last year. Also I'm not sure what was up with him supposedly being on crutches last weekend at AAA, and if they shot him up with the really good poo poo or had bionic bracers under his pants or what, but he definitely appeared in working condition.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 13, 2015

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Six weeks! I guess I should maybe get my LU posse together to update my old Who's Who of LU/Season One recap post.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm loving hyped

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I think dragon azteca jr is daga

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

oatgan posted:

Thanks, edited that into the second post spoiler.

(edit): Nope! Turns out that is wrong. See my post further down the page.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 14, 2015

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm so drat ready.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

i'm rey mysterio's godawful beard

(also very hype)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
So if you want to be excited about someone that isn't the obvious name: Taya Valkyrie, holy poo poo has she been great at the tapings. Looks like a Barbie doll, works like one of the boys. Just 100% taking hard bumps and laying her stuff in snug. Zero hesitation. I hadn't seen a ton of her stuff before this and I've been blown away.

Fantasy booking, but looking at that trailer, I hope there's a big unresolved question about whether any of this is real or if it's all just in Vampiro's head. Like him in an insane asylum with them patiently explaining to him, you're not a vampire, there's no such thing as an underground fight club in LA where dragons and monsters fight, you know that can't be real, right? And then he steps outside for a smoke and there's Striker with that covered car saying "you know it's time to go now."

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 13, 2015

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
So loving hyped.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

If you sign up for Fubo at $6.99, you're locked into that price for a year rather than paying the $9.99 price according to their Twitter.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Gonna get space man and dragon back. It's gonna be a good 2016.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I literally cannot believe we're getting a second season for this but I'm so loving hyped for more dragons and vampires

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Accidentally heard some spoilers for the upcoming season and now I'm even MORE excited!

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014
Man, it's like it's 1996 all over again and I'm playing through the story mode of Tekken 2 to catch all the sweet ending cinematics. So pumped.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Discount Trombones posted:

Man, it's like it's 1996 all over again

Came here to say I haven't been this excited about pro wrestling since I heard Hogan became a bad guy.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
cero miedo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

cero mierda

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

That Season 2 video gave me old first-day-of-school vibes

ANGELICO HAS BLONDE HIGHLIGHTS

CATRINA GOT BANGS

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lucha Underground loving owns, you guys.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I don't think I have the energy/time to watch through all of season 1. Has anyone put together a match list yet, or should I just watch Ultima Lucha

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

I don't think I have the energy/time to watch through all of season 1. Has anyone put together a match list yet, or should I just watch Ultima Lucha

the only things i'd really describe as must-see are all the singles and trios title matches, the casket match between fenix and mil muertes, and ultima lucha

all those should catch you up on the state of things going into season 2 while highlighting the best workers and specific rivalries and spots that have been called back to so far in the s2 tapings

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm so drat ready.

Who let such a dumbass spot like that out of CZW?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
...nobody post any gifs from Vampiro vs Pentagon Jr

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

C. Everett Koop posted:

Angelico gives no fucks.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

C. Everett Koop posted:

Noted cool guy and dirt bike enthusiast Angelico.

Here's a video of the first time he dived off that balcony.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
angelico is clearly determined to die in the ring, in a much more entertaining way than similar deathseeker kurt angle

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
So hyped. Iron Man Aerostar owns. Mercenary luchador owns. Everything owns.

I'm really curious what the story behind the red bull statue is going to be. They made a point of it at the end montage of Ultima Lucha.

This is one wrestling show where I honestly wouldn't mind if they increased the amount of backstage segments. Having a full dramatized throughline in each episode would be great in this format. Not to push the wrestling into the background, just to ramp up the plot a bit more, in a way that no other promotion does.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Who is not coming back?
Didn't Melina get kicked out too?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I'm really curious what the story behind the red bull statue is going to be. They made a point of it at the end montage of Ultima Lucha.

This is one wrestling show where I honestly wouldn't mind if they increased the amount of backstage segments. Having a full dramatized throughline in each episode would be great in this format. Not to push the wrestling into the background, just to ramp up the plot a bit more, in a way that no other promotion does.

I wanna say that the red bull statue is just an easter egg for the fans, and..someone gave it to the guy who plays Dario in real life, and it ended up in his office? I can't remember where I read the story behind it, though.

Also, I want to point out that the lesson other promotions can learn from Lucha Underground (and NXT, for that matter) is that yes, they have the advantage of being taped beforehand, and only a few writers..and a hardcore audience..but BASIC STORYTELLING WORKS, and you can do that regardless. Hell, I thought Aerostar was a jobber for the longest time, and by the end? I literally would have watched 'man who's a wrestler and also a spaceship and man who's a ninja, but also a literal dragon have friendship adventures' the t.v. show.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I think the Drago vs. Aerostar series was one of my favorite parts of the first season. It was a nice simple story told well.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

oatgan posted:

the only things i'd really describe as must-see are all the singles and trios title matches, the casket match between fenix and mil muertes, and ultima lucha

all those should catch you up on the state of things going into season 2 while highlighting the best workers and specific rivalries and spots that have been called back to so far in the s2 tapings

a good list unfortunately it leaves out the Pentagon Jr. storyline

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mob posted:

Mob knows what's up.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Mob posted:

the video before the vampiro match, the match itself, and the epilogue after ultima lucha cover it unless abraham linksys wants to watch a couple jobbers squashes and then the heinous booking decision of putting sexy star over pentagon right after he heats up which tbf they didn't know would happen when they taped it

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

sticklefifer posted:

Not really "kicked out" but that person isn't coming back, that was a one off. They basically decided that her being paired with Johnny was too much of a WWE thing. They paired Mundo with someone else this season.

As to this earlier spoiler:

oatgan posted:

Turns out it is wrong. Spoilers about someone new appearing today: Daga appeared as Daga. Dragon Azteca Jr. was on the show later and they are clearly not the same dude. I still have no idea who Azteca is, but he is good.

Spoilers about new people who appeared in a dark match only: We had Trina Michaels out there managing Vinnie Massaro, against Kevin Kross.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Also, former WWE star Victoria was in the crowd again today! She was in the crowd at one of the tapings back in November, and she liked it enough to come back again. I don't think she's involved with the promotion at all, she is very low key, just out in the audience in plain clothes with a hat, trying not to draw attention to herself, but she still gets noticed because she is Victoria and people want pictures with her. But actual Victoria becoming an LU mark is the best thing. She goes to PWG shows too, it's cool that she has stayed such a fan of good wrestling.

Were today's tapings any good?

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 14, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Look I love flippy men jumping off high things as much as the next person but Rey's knees haven't gotten any better with time and I have some serious concerns his femurs are just going to explode out of his legs like that one U of L basketball player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I think Wale was there too

• Locked thread