Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beaverseatwood2
Feb 23, 2014
Okay im trying to dip early from work to get good seats today. Should be fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

When should I get there for a good spot? I got balcony, I'm thinking 12:30?

Beaverseatwood2
Feb 23, 2014
I went as a single party. Got upgraded to a seat. Sounded great but the seats were sooooo close together, that i had a lil anxiety attack and asked for standing again. Got to the balcony late and couldnt see jack poo poo. I had a wrestler pop out from behind me for his entrance. That was pretty badass.The waiting around was terrible too. But i think thats because i didnt have anybody to talk to in line. All in all i had an amazing time and i really wish i get to attend more tapings. Im hooked.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Choom Gangster posted:

When should I get there for a good spot? I got balcony, I'm thinking 12:30?

12:30 is about right, although people have been lining up earlier and earlier.

Beaverseatwood2 posted:

I went as a single party. Got upgraded to a seat. Sounded great but the seats were sooooo close together, that i had a lil anxiety attack and asked for standing again. Got to the balcony late and couldnt see jack poo poo. I had a wrestler pop out from behind me for his entrance. That was pretty badass.The waiting around was terrible too. But i think thats because i didnt have anybody to talk to in line. All in all i had an amazing time and i really wish i get to attend more tapings. Im hooked.

Again, I recommend bleachers to everyone if you can get them (since you started in balcony you really didn't have that option). The real seats really are kind of terrible. Sucks that you couldn't see a whole lot since you got up there late, but glad you had fun regardless! I really love the atmosphere.

The times when I go alone, I'll often bring headphones to at least listen to music, because yeah you are standing around FOREVER.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Disclosure: Ive been 100% out of the Lucha Underground loop until these 5 episode chunks have started on El Rey, so forgive me if this has been dragged out. I ask this question because after a dozen episodes I am still not sure.

Is Sexy Star any good?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Not really, but she gets reactions so the push is working I guess

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

sticklefifer posted:

Everyone blames Matanza for the grisly murders of a bunch of jobbers, until Dario Cueto using a new detective gimmick puts together that all of them happened on full moons.

Belated response but this sounds like a job for Team Tremendous Investigations

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Sexy Star isn't a good wrestler but I think they did a pretty good job hiding her limitations, and she got over, which is the end goal either way.

The only obvious misstep was letting her pin Pentagon clean, but even the writers admitted that they didn't realize how hot Pentagon would get when they taped that.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Speaking of writers, have they ever explained how the LU creative staff works? I remember hearing something about how they have a handful of legit TV veterans who write storylines, and then run it through guys like Konnan and Chavo who helped road-agent the matches and tried to make those stories fit into a pro wrestling context, but I don't think that was actually confirmed.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i don't know what the rest of the staff looks like but the head writer is chris dejoseph who worked for wwe for a stretch during the 00's as a writer and a fat oiled up dude in a g-string

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I didn't really get Sexy Starr until I watched AAA. Her whole character and the way she carries herself makes much more sense as a heel.

Benne posted:

Speaking of writers, have they ever explained how the LU creative staff works? I remember hearing something about how they have a handful of legit TV veterans who write storylines, and then run it through guys like Konnan and Chavo who helped road-agent the matches and tried to make those stories fit into a pro wrestling context, but I don't think that was actually confirmed.

They covered part of it on the Writer's Room podcast. There was a big issue with guys getting held up at the border before the first taping and Big Dick Johnson and Konnan and Chavo basically rewrote like the first five episodes in a weekend. Beyond that, it seems like the writers actually brainstorm and map out the general direction of the season before hand and tweak it as they go along with input from the wrestlers.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 18, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah, from what I understand the main day-to-day creative guys are Chris DeJoseph, Chris Roach, and Matt Stollman, all of whom worked WWE creative a long time ago and also did reality TV on shows like Big Brother. They do the whole writers' room thing and put most of it together. Chavo and Konnan and Vampiro give more general input and also help with agenting the matches, although wrestlers have said for the most part the talent can lay out their own stuff in terms of doing a match so long as they hit whatever story points. There's also more input from show runner Eric Van Wagenen, who did the Tough Enough season with Steve Austin and some reality TV, and a bit of direction from Mark Burnett. It's funny from what I've heard about how much the reality TV experience direction helps the product. Instead of thinking they have a captive audience that will just watch no matter what, they have a guideline that they'd better grab the viewer and show some action within like the first minute. That's why most episodes start with Striker doing an extremely brief intro and immediately throwing it to the ring to get the first match underway.

A lot of the talent in interviews have gushed about how professional all the management people are, which is a huge rarity in this business. Go figure, maybe being TV people instead of carnies makes things less lovely.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I don't mind her but 1) i do pop whenever the announcers refer to her by name as Sexy and 2) her opposition really goes out of their way to make her poo poo look good, kudos to their professionalism but Sexy Star turns all her opponents into Ziggler the way they bump for her.

I replayed that fish out of water dive to the outside she hit on unmasked Superfly like three times. Looked like a goaltender stretching out to get under her.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
One of the problems with Sexy Star (in my opinion) is she works a lot softer or her stuff looks more "worked" than most of the wrestlers around her. This is especially apparent when she's working intergender, but even look at the way Ivelisse lays her poo poo in compared to Sexy. It may look okay when she's working against people with similar styles but it stands out a lot of the time here. Some matches hide this better than others -- I thought the submission match against against Pentagon worked better because it was mostly her grappling and Pentagon doing the high impact stuff.

I will say she has a Season 2 match where she overcomes these limitations, I think.

(edit) that one Superfly match was especially loving terrible but she worked that the week Perro died and she was kind of a wreck in general so I can give her a pass there

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I will say she has a Season 2 match where she overcomes these limitations, I think.

If you're referring to the match I think you are, I'm going to respectfully disagree. Maybe they can edit it into something good (I know even Vampiro himself said his match with Pentagon from Ultima Lucha was heavily edited), but as a live match I thought it was awful. Then again, I was obviously in the minority judging by the reactions it was getting by the end.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I liked it. Maybe the angle I was sitting at made a big difference (in which case editing will help it).

Also, it's Dario's birthday! :D

https://twitter.com/chrisdejoseph/status/688962353430315008

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dont know what this means but i get el rey as an over-the-air station here in austin now as a sub-channel to Bounce

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

minoru suzuki posted:

i dont know what this means but i get el rey as an over-the-air station here in austin now as a sub-channel to Bounce

This means you get one of the best channels on the air.

They've been doing a Shaw Brothers kung-fu marathon all day and it's filling me with joy.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Guys, Lucha Underground is back in less than two weeks. The hype is real.

I'm so drat excited to see what Pentagon and Cuerno have been up to and to finally see Matanza. Oh and I guess the TV return of the greatest luchador of all time is pretty cool too.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Bangs Catrina is still weirding me out a bit, I gotta say.

But yeah those are cool and LU is cool and I am totally excited.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Last night Rey Misterio shook my hand on his way to the ring and stopped to compliment my tattoos.

In summary, last night was great.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fun little timewaster from LU:
http://www.luchayourself.com/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Choom Gangster posted:

Last night Rey Misterio shook my hand on his way to the ring and stopped to compliment my tattoos.

In summary, last night was great.

I'm real happy for Rey. From what I read, he wanted to keep working while he still can and make some money, but not have to work a full schedule or be on the road all the time. Getting to work 2-3 weekends a month out of a set location for good money must be awesome for him. Plus being treated like a star. He seems like a nice dude and I hope this is a good gig for him. And LU probably needed a big name to replace El Patron so it's a win-win.

In other news, DeJoseph out spreading the word:
https://twitter.com/chrisdejoseph/status/689593284121866240

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 20, 2016

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

I must say, Lucha Underground markets their stuff well. I've made like six of these already and I only watched like three episodes of season 1

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It looks like the Sportcenter piece on LU is going to air next week (just in time for the season premiere of course). At the very least, Chris DeJoseph, Melissa Santos, Johnny Mundo, and King Cuerno were all there. And some of the regular fans. Sounds like some good marketing.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 20, 2016

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I don't imagine the WWE being too happy about other groups appearing on ESPN.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Couple more of those cool pictures:

Reminder that there is another five hours of LU reruns on El Rey tonight in advance of next week's SEASON TWO PREMIERE. Probably including a re-run of Ultima Lucha. I'll probably close this thread over the weekend and make a Season Two Actual thread so that we have a fresh thread without any spoilers for the actual season. And maybe so people will peek in on a fresh thread and see about the weekend marathon.

Finally, Johnny Mundo is doing an AMA, no real groundbreaking stuff but some fun answers: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/41x04n/im_lucha_undergrounds_johnny_mundo_ask_me_anything/

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Jfc, Angelico.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Couple more of those cool pictures:

Reminder that there is another five hours of LU reruns on El Rey tonight in advance of next week's SEASON TWO PREMIERE. Probably including a re-run of Ultima Lucha. I'll probably close this thread over the weekend and make a Season Two Actual thread so that we have a fresh thread without any spoilers for the actual season. And maybe so people will peek in on a fresh thread and see about the weekend marathon.

Finally, Johnny Mundo is doing an AMA, no real groundbreaking stuff but some fun answers: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/41x04n/im_lucha_undergrounds_johnny_mundo_ask_me_anything/

I now know Johnny Mundo writes poetry and I NEED to read it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
El Rey has a marathon tonight.

Watching Alberto Del Rio get the biggest reactions on the show is pretty funny in hindsight.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Is Konnan coming back in S2? I miss the Pimp Cane of Death.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

Is Konnan coming back in S2? I miss the Pimp Cane of Death.

Well, I haven't seen him do anything in-ring at the tapings. But I don't know if he's taped any backstage stuff. And he could always make a surprise return at Ultima Lucha 2

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

StarkRavingMad posted:

Well, I haven't seen him do anything in-ring at the tapings. But I don't know if he's taped any backstage stuff. And he could always make a surprise return at Ultima Lucha 2

Makes sense, thanks.

Also, Mundo/Texano on the go-home show is criminally underrated. Or least it was until The Crew ruined it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah, these guys were working hard. The gently caress finish weakened it (although it made sense for Ultima Lucha and led to that cool staredown between Patron and Texano), but a hell of a match up until the finish

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Benne posted:

Makes sense, thanks.

Also, Mundo/Texano on the go-home show is criminally underrated. Or least it was until The Crew ruined it.

I personally feel like Texano was really underrated for most of season 1. His debut was weird with him just showing up and beating down Patron. (I know the history but it was still weird) He had as lot of good matches but I felt like he just floated around and then got shoved into the Chavo/Blue Demon fued, the only bad fued on the show.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, Texano's good but he never really found a spot on the card. It feels like they just brought him in to cross-promote his AAA feud with Alberto, and then ran out of ideas once that ran its course.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

jim truds posted:

I personally feel like Texano was really underrated for most of season 1. His debut was weird with him just showing up and beating down Patron. (I know the history but it was still weird) He had as lot of good matches but I felt like he just floated around and then got shoved into the Chavo/Blue Demon fued, the only bad fued on the show.

The Chavo/Blue Demon feud, while pretty bad, was almost worth it because it gave us the (Multiple? Might have only been once but it felt like multiple) times that Chavo got warned by Konnan that Mexico was coming for him. Whether he meant Blue Demon's family, the cartels, or literally everyone in Mexico was never established, and when you remember that Konnan is Cuban that whole line gets a lot funnier. Mexico is coming for you Chavo, said the Cuban.

Wasn't the last time they did that either, I wanna say around the start of the Texano/Patron feud there was also a backstage segment in which Dario receives a threatening phonecall from Mexico that he proceeds to pay off with one of his signature stacks of cash. Whether the phonecall was from Mexico or literally done by Mexico was left up in the air.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

RZApublican posted:

The Chavo/Blue Demon feud, while pretty bad, was almost worth it because it gave us the (Multiple? Might have only been once but it felt like multiple) times that Chavo got warned by Konnan that Mexico was coming for him. Whether he meant Blue Demon's family, the cartels, or literally everyone in Mexico was never established, and when you remember that Konnan is Cuban that whole line gets a lot funnier. Mexico is coming for you Chavo, said the Cuban.

Wasn't the last time they did that either, I wanna say around the start of the Texano/Patron feud there was also a backstage segment in which Dario receives a threatening phonecall from Mexico that he proceeds to pay off with one of his signature stacks of cash. Whether the phonecall was from Mexico or literally done by Mexico was left up in the air.

They're actually referring to Johnny Mexico, who lives in LA and oddly enough, is Korean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
I prefer the idea that the actual piece of land that is mexico was slowly but inevitably making its way to fuckin kick chavo's cheatin rear end for beating up blue demon

• Locked thread