Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

IllegallySober posted:

February has been a frustrating month. Cash flow problems for my boss (not unheard of in real estate, but not ideal) combined with my unemployment running out and removing my safety net has not led to much progress. Throw in my father being diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and being in the hospital all month, making it difficult for me to get work done, and yeah :11tea:

Hopefully March will be a much better month. I haven't made much progress at all in February but on the positive side I haven't put a dime on a credit card and have adjusted my expenses to deal with the situation as much as possible.

/E/N rant

That's really rough. I'm very impressed with the positives you've managed to secure for yourself and I hope things turn around soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

February update inline.

Grumpwagon posted:

Major goals
1) Increase income 20% Accepted a job starting 2/15 for a 33% increase (thanks negotiation thread!)
2) No wedding debt - on track to have all money saved by the wedding (May). Paying cash, mostly by ourselves. - On track: $17793.26/25k with an additional ~$3k going in 3/1
3) Pay off $29k of student loans (all but the ~3% interest loans). Stretch: pay off all $41k for 0 debt. - Sort of on track. This won't start going down quickly until 6/1 (after the wedding)

"Keep good habits" goals
4) Keep constant on YNAB (started 1/1/2015) - (Soon to be) wife is doing great, which was our biggest challenge. I did it myself from 1/2015-10/2015, so I'm confident I can keep it up, but she's new. Doing great!
5) "never have a baby, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever... ever..." - On track (knocks on wood)
6) Don't buy a house this year - On track
7) Don't buy a car unless the new job requires it, and if it does, buy something sensible and inexpensive. - Great news, new job doesn't require a car. I was pretty sure it would.
8) Keep 401(k) contributions to at least 10% each. - I'm not eligible for 2 months, but her's is going well.
9) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off. Stretch: 30 pounds (goal weight) - No real progress here, but the new job is directly on the way to my gym, so I've been tracking food and working out for the last week. Expecting progress soon.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well my wife who is the primary earner lost her job and is probably switching gears to work for a startup for like $20K a year + equity. So our household income has gone down by over 100K and our goals have radically changed.

Tyro posted:

2016 Goals. In order of importance.

1. Continue to max both of our 401Ks and IRAs Continue to max my 401K, and both of our IRAs. Contribute what we can to a solo 401K for her.
2. Pay off wife's student loans entirely (approx $50K)
3. Increase long term taxable savings (eventual house fund) by $12K - This is now a stretch goal, as any "spare" money will probably go into the above solo 401k
4. When buying new car this year, borrow no more than $20K and overall spend no more than $30K Hold off on new car
5. Increase emergency fund by $5K to $35K Maintain e-fund at current levels
6. *IF* I buy a motorcycle this year, pay cash. No motorcycle.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Tyro posted:

Well my wife who is the primary earner lost her job and is probably switching gears to work for a startup for like $20K a year + equity. So our household income has gone down by over 100K and our goals have radically changed.

Exciting and terrifying. Good luck!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That seems like a pretty raw deal, especially if she's not getting founder-level equity. Please tell her work for 20k + 0.33% to be diluted over time. I don't know what she does but plenty of startups will pay 6 figures for someone they want. Sorry if I'm reading into this too much but please at least consider alternatives, including other startups. (I once fell pretty hard for a startup sales pitch and was going to make some pretty sub-optimal career decisions because of it and a friend helped talk me down, I've been there.) If one think they're any good at predicting which startups will succeed, they should join a VC fund rather than any individual startup. If they don't think that, equity should be treated and priced like lottery tickets.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 27, 2016

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That seems like a pretty raw deal, especially if she's not getting founder-level equity.

She is. :)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Tyro posted:

She is. :)
K, carry on and good luck. :D

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Progress:

1. Raise my net worth to $70k. (Currently @ $55k.) It will be a bit of a stretch, but that's the point! $59.5k. Will see a big drop next month when I pay for tuition! Part of the plan.

2. Pay off $5.4k of my car loan, which has $6.6k remaining. $1380/$5400. Threw a lot of money at it the last two months. Looking like a payoff date of February 2017, which will be 22 months early.

3. Do something vacation-y this summer without taking on debt. I haven't been on a vacation in 4 years and I need one desperately! $1k in the vacay fund.

4. Pay for my last semester of grad school in cash. $3k. DONE as of today! Saved $3100. :)

5. No credit card debt. On track.

6. Stretch Goal: Start saving for a house. A nominal amount, say $1500, just to get my morale going while I finish paying off the car. $100/$1500. My (5 year old) laptop is starting to act interesting, so this money may get rerouted if it completely craps out.

spinst fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 27, 2016

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

spinst posted:

My (5 year old) laptop is starting to act interesting, so this money may get rerouted if it completely craps out.[/b]

Consider replacing the hard drive instead! Oftentimes when old computers start acting crappy it's just a failing HD.

Unless you really just want a new laptop (which is fine).

alnilam fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 27, 2016

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

Exciting and terrifying. Good luck!

I'd say extremely terrifying to gamble my sweat into startup equity while earning just north of minimum wage but that's just me

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

CaptainRat posted:

1) Grow my emergency fund to $3,000 On track

2) Pay off $10K student loan debt On track - I've adjusted some budgets and raised the larger targeted payment

3) Be prepared for trips and holidays. On track

4) Eat out less and stick to my current restaurant / food budget On track

5) (Optional/stretch goal) Get 1 month ahead in my checking account On hold

Come 2017 I should be in a good position to start maxing my IRA and work on my longer-term goals.

I'm still on target and executing the plan I set out, with one small adjustment: instead of letting unspent remainders of variable budgets (bills, groceries, entertainment, etc.) accrue into my checking account I'm pouring that into an additional student loan payment at the end of the month.

I've been going to the library on a weekly basis and reading a lot more, which helps with not going out so much and keeps entertainment budget expenditures low.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
February! Original post below, with updates highlighted where relevant-

Standings approximated off the top of my head (1/1/16):
-- $7250 in student loan debt (graduated 2010, two combined loans at 5.6 and 6.8% interest, 25:75 distribution between the two)
-- $16700 in an auto loan (purchased 2014, 3.1% interest)
-- $5000 owed to parents from wedding payments (married this past summer)
-- $1800 in miscellaneous debts (credit cards but also an old dental bill?)
-- $56k pre-tax salary; also earning essentially an extra paycheck each month from freelance work

Goals for the end of 2016, in no particular order:
1. Completely pay off that miscellaneous category. - The good news is that everything except on credit card is paid off. The bad news is that my debit card number got stolen, and without any branches for my bank in the area I had to put a bunch of stuff on said credit card. But now that all my credit card debt in on one card, I only have one payment to keep track of.
2. Finally move my 401k from my previous employer over to my new one.
3. Pay 25% of my current student loan debt back into it. Stretch goal of 30%. - On track
4. Cut the money owed to my parents in half. - On track. New plan is keep putting the money in savings and pay them off in a few big lump sums, instead of monthly.
5. Save up $2000 by next fall for planned overseas trip Christmas 2016. - On track.
6. Start contributing to our joint savings account. - COMPLETE (Jan)
7. Hit at least $650/mo in my current side job. - Made less than January but still more than the $650. Next month at my day job will probably be really busy so this might take a hit, wish me luck!

Things that would be nice to do:
8. Merge back accounts with my wife.
9. Save up for a new computer. - Found a sweet deal on a pretty nice laptop, and even had enough money to trick it out with extra RAM and an SSD and stay under budget. COMPLETE.
10. Set up actual budgets for both myself and my wife.
11. Take a trip somewhere. - NO CONTEST (Jan)
12. Get my wife a job.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

DESIRED ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Increase gross income to $[redacted]k ($[redacted+10]k with reimbursements). I'll know next month!
- Put $10,000 in 401k (edited down from $15,000 12/30, I'm looking for new, more expensive, but more tenable living arrangements) On track. Could potentially match depending on my living situation.
- Max ROTH IRA. $3000 in. Gonna wait til my tuition reimbursement to put the other $2500 in
- Move to a place closer to work while keeping my total housing expenses under $1.3k/mo. Still looking!
- Take a dang vacation without feeling guilty. Planning a trip to Miami this summer!
- Stay the hell outta debt. Very yes.
- Finish 4 more classes with Bs or better for that sweet sweet free education :911: On track.

ONGOING GOALS:
- Date without breaking the bank (subjective). Success.
- Limit alcohol spending to $30/month. Success.
- Limit video game spending to $25/month. Success.
- Limit Fast Food to 1 Purchase per month. Went over, because I ended up working 2 straight weeks of night shift and coffee/lovely food distracted from that. The shame!
- Keep constant on YNAB -- 18 months and counting! Done.

STRETCH GOALS:
- Max out 401k Maybe
- Put another $10,000 towards general savings (house in 2017? We shall see) On track
- Reach $[redacted]k net worth On track
- Keep my 4.0 GPA On track, may let one class slip to a B if the professor continues to be awful and nonresponsive.

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 2, 2016

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
2016 Goals

1) Max both IRAs - Done

2) Max 401k contribution - On track

3) Get mortgage under 130k (Currently 160k) - Currently at 142k

4) Remodel kitchen & front yard (Budget ~30k for both in Ally savings) - Been thinking about landscaping designs, but nothing tangible so far

5) Research local charities/causes and make a meaningful donation - Nothing so far

6) Take a vacation that is a week or longer - Nothing so far

Stretch Goals

1) Get mortgage under 100k - On track

2) Generate side income - Nothing so far

My contract ends in June, so I should be able to meet my main goals and have time to do the remodeling and take a vacation. If I choose to extend past June and go until the end of the year, then I'll have the cash to meet the financial stretch goals and beyond, but I won't have the time/attention for anything else. Money is good, but I'm close to burnout already and I might keel over from stress... :confused:

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
I did one of these last year, and somehow life kept throwing curveballs at me where I could not complete some of my stated goals (like getting extra work in the summer) but did complete other goals ahead of schedule (buying new used car in cash), so I guess it all worked out in the end :confused:

My 2016 goals are all over the place because I'm trying something new and scary.

Definite goals:
-Start a side business: in progress, on track
-Max out Roth IRA: on track
-Raise primary income by at least 5%

Secondary goals:
-Contribute to niece's college fund: on track
-Figure out a better place to stash my savings now that I have a robust emergency fund, because see Pipe Dream

Pipe Dream:
-Grow side business enough to quit day job in 2 years (not a 2016 goal but I'm putting it here anyway dammit)

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

1) Get emergency fund up to 10k (adding 6500)
2) Resume (and max out) 401k/TSP contributions
3) Pay off approx $8700 of unsecured loan (at 3%)
4) Get at least $5k saved up for wedding (stretch goal: $10k)

End-Of-February-ish monthly-ish update:

Emergency fund +2100 (up to 8k now, hopefully hit the 10k goal by end of March and move on)
TSP n/c
Loan payoff -450
Wedding savings +500 (up to 1k now)

I road-warriored the hell out of this month (26 of 29 days on the road) so I lived mostly on per diem, not my salary, which was a nice boost to my savings. Also had heart surgery paid for in full: thanks, military health care.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Monthly Update: Not a lot has happened. Stock markets continue to suck. -20% YTD :negative:

New job is starting "as soon as possible", but current employer has yet to publish an ad for my replacement, so I doubt I can get away before my 3 mths notice runs out which is may 1:st.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Potrzebie posted:

Monthly Update: Not a lot has happened. Stock markets continue to suck. -20% YTD :negative:

Yikes...S&P 500 is only down 5% or so in the same period. Same with VTSAX. Are you playing the commodities game or something?

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

district 12 posted:

My goals are somewhat small because it's my last semester of school and I'm living at home so I am aiming to just make a big leap back into the world (I'm an adult student who is very lucky to have such a generous support system that I can live at home for free).

1) Save up a nest egg for moving wherever my post-grad life takes me, aiming for $6k but will likely have plenty more
deadline: I don't know yet. Aiming to be out of here by October, but could be moved up/pushed back as I see fit.

2) Whittle away all credit card debt (some consumer, lots of school-related expenses), currently stands at about $5k including the Apple financing for my recent laptop purchase
deadline: EOY probably, hopefuly much, much sooner.

3) Save up an extra $2.5k or so for fun/transport/etc. during month abroad
deadline: June 15 or thereabouts, as I leave on the 17th and need things all set by then

4) No clothes shopping except at the thrift store (this is an indefinite goal, probably until mid-June when I go abroad to be picked up again when I return stateside?)

I'll probably make more goals when/if I move and get a new job, including maxing out 401k and FSA or however the benefits roll out, and also making a real game plan to tackle my student loan debt. I'm genuinely hoping to keep up with these goals, as 2016 is a big year of endings for me, so my financial situation will be changing significantly. (I hope.)

1) working on it. Still not great, a few medical expenses have come up that are supposed to be covered by insurance, but I'm keeping cash on standby in case I lose the battle.

2) Getting there!

3) Almost done!

4) Failed... but not by a lot. I don't know what it is about clothes but I just love them so much. I managed to really curb my shopping though, and have sold a few older pieces on eBay to recoup spending.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

pig slut lisa posted:

Yikes...S&P 500 is only down 5% or so in the same period. Same with VTSAX. Are you playing the commodities game or something?

Nah, it's because I gamble in micro cap bio-/meditec.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2016 Goals (Feb update)

- Adjust my W4 now that I have a kid
- Create a will
- Migrate to a budgeting tool (YNAB or Every Dollar) and away from my half-assed Excel sheet that tracks spending but doesn't budget Been using Mint. Enjoying it so far
- Open a Roth IRA for myself (have one for the wife, but only using my 401k at work for me) Done. And maxed out 2015 contribution before I filed my tax return
- Move most of the funds in our checking account to appropriate interest-accruing vehicles (20k just sitting there) Likely going to max out our 2016 IRA contributions with the excess
- Re-evaluate emergency fund (30k might be a bit much and a small part of that could be used better elsewhere)
- Put 50/month into my daughter's 529
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Make one extra mortgage payment This might be more do-able after my refi goes through. Will lower my monthly payment by about $150
- Fix up our living room and get actual furniture (a decade on junky "college kid" furniture is enough) Purchased a sectional $600 under budget, so we have more wiggle room for an entertainment center
- Take a vacation
- Create a financial plan to allow my wife to quit her miserable, dead-end, low-wage job. Allowing her to focus on her creative passions and to give her the freedom to finally open that Etsy shop she's been wanting to
- Release two iPhone apps I swear I'll release my first app next month. I'm just nervous about features that I know people will want, but I don't have time to implement

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs Maxed out 2015 contributions prior to filing my tax return
- Up my 401k contribution to 10% from 6% On re-evaluation, I'd rather focus on maxing our IRA's and HSA before upping my 401k contribution
- Make 3 extra mortgage payments
- Pay off my student loans (~5000 @ 3%)
- Pay off my car (~12000 @ 2%)
- Prep to sell my wife's car in 2017 and plan to purchase a mini-van or other appropriate "family" vehicle
- Position myself at work for a promotion to manager (only a stretch because this would likely require more working hours, and I don't know if I want to do that yet)

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice

quote:

Goals:
1. Max out Roth IRA contributions for 2016 (so, $5,500). On track.

2. Increase emergency fund by $4,000. Faced some setbacks in February. Had to borrow from e-fund to put down a deposit on a new apartment (security deposit reimbursement from previous landlord will more than offset, but I don't have that in hand yet, and it's still a risk). Also had to withdraw ~750 for car repairs. I can still meet this goal for the year by reimbursing the account with the security deposit I get back from my old landlord, and putting the money I'm saving at my new (cheaper) apartment toward e-fund.

3. Decrease debt by $6,050. Not sure how to judge this one. Probably need to judge it "failure" for now. On the one hand, I am on track to decrease my student loan debt by the goal amount by the end of the year. On the other hand, I financed a new phone at 0%, which technically increased my debt. I can get back on track by paying off the phone debt by the end of the year in addition to paying down the planned 6k on my student loans.

4. Complete 4 more computer science classes (paid for by my company). On track.

5. Do not change jobs or quit taking classes. So far so good.

6. Save for travel to two weddings in April and October ahead of time. On track. The April wedding (which is an overseas trip) is fully funded. The wedding in October is on track, but due to some recent emails I got, the bachelor party is probably going to be more expensive than what I budgeted for, so I'll have to figure something out to make sure I have enough in October.

7. Save for a deposit on a new apartment and (if we're both ready), move in with girlfriend. Failed, I guess. I didn't have anything saved toward the deposit. However, my girlfriend and I (we've been looking at apartments for months) found a place that we couldn't pass up, so we rented it. I borrowed the money from my e-fund. The good news is the rent and utilities (and even things like parking and laundry) are, across the board, significantly cheaper. I could potentially save ~400/mo depending on how the average utility bills come out.

This is turning out harder than I thought, and it's only February...

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

qmark posted:

This is turning out harder than I thought, and it's only February...

All good mate; at least you have goals and plans.

"A man with no goal can get there on any road"

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Update through two months

1. Incrementally increase Roth / 529 savings Still waiting to see what my paychecks will be like with the raise / cost of living. Next pay will have "retroactive" pay, the following pay will be the new "normal".
2. Save for a bathroom remodel (approximately $4000) - Almost halfway there. We're in no rush to do this right now.
3. Contribute more to our HSA (currently $50/pay) - Similar to #1
4. Settle our "surprise" $2400 medical bill from 2014 that we just received - Paid
5. Stretch goal: Make additional $1200 principal-only payments on our mortgage - $350 paid so far.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
February Update...

quote:

2016 Financial Goals:

#1 - No kids, no house, all's great.
#2 - Side biz income was horrible in Month 2, about $1,500 approximately. I expected this, but I also didn't expect to make as little progress as I did toward the next book. Bad me.
#3 - Secondary side biz has a new web developer who is working hard on the new systems I need. So far so good.
#4 - Stress reduction: I got a massage. Yay.
#5 - $50K/$100K Stretch: Medical bills are all sorted out now and taxes are looking good, too. I'm going to have about $5K oversaved from last year's taxes and $6K post-tax on my bonus. February value: $11K going into savings. :)

I have a job interview coming up in two weeks, too, so I'm going to add #6 from last year back again:

#6 -- Keep or lose my current day job as best fits monetary and life balance goals.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

March update.

Baja Mofufu posted:

2016 goals

Before January 1st: Get YNAB ready (hasn't been touched since May). Done

After January 1st:
Do YNAB every month Done through 3/1
Max Roth IRAs Done
Max husband's 401k On track
Max Coverdell ESA Would be done except TD Ameritrade is being the most frustrating brokerage firm I've ever dealt with. The money is set aside anyway.

Stretch goal: 800K net worth Probably not going to happen, that's why it's a stretch! Not impossible though.

I think my goals were too easy. I'll try to set some additional ones this month.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
Two Months Update:

Zuph posted:

Alright, Financial Goals 2016:

0. Pay off Credit Card Done!
1. Max out Roth IRA On Track!
2. Increase Emergency Fund to $10,000 On Track
3. Get one month ahead on all expenses (YNAB Rule 4, currently 1 paycheck ahead) On Track
4. Save enough additionally to take a vacation/visit friends in Denver Somewhere On Track
5. Start some relatively self-sustaining side venture that earns some mostly passive income

No real progress on number 5, but a plan of attack everywhere else. I'm starting to feel like I've made my goals too easy, but this year hasn't thrown any curveballs at us yet, so I'm gonna keep rolling with it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Update two days later. My goals are pretty lame to be honest, but I think that's a good indication of doing a fairly good job with what we have to work with.

1. Incrementally increase Roth / 529 savings - Increased additional ~$140/mo (eh, it's something)
2. Save for a bathroom remodel (approximately $4000) - Almost halfway there. We're in no rush to do this right now.
3. Contribute more to our HSA - Increased to $75/pay (eh, it's something)
4. Settle our "surprise" $2400 medical bill from 2014 that we just received - Paid
5. Stretch goal: Make additional $1200 principal-only payments on our mortgage - $350 paid so far.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
End of February update:

moana posted:

Before EOY
- close out my business account and switch back to sole proprietorship
- switch health insurances
- add dental insurances

2016: The Year of Simplifying poo poo
- roll over old 401k into my Vanguard 401k
-- close out Chase accounts and move to Union Bank NOT GOING TO DO THIS AFTER ALL
- after taxes, move what's left into taxable investing account at Vanguard
- close out money market fund account
- get mortgage autopay set up
- do weekly reconciliations in Mint to classify business expenses
- keep profit/loss spreadsheet updated monthly
- close out business checking account
- write, publish novel 1
- write, publish novel 2
- write, publish novel 3

Stretch Goal
- hit $1M net worth

Non-Monetary Goal
- get knocked up

On top of the business expenses. Adding more goals to the list for wrapping up my business stuff this year before I go babby crazy.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

balancedbias posted:

2016! YES! A Year for optimism.

Forced optimism, mind you. There's plenty of emo bullshit that nobody wants to hear, so let's get to the checkpoints (not necessarily in any particular order):

1- Max out 401k and 457

2-Max out both IRAs

3-Pay down car loan...

WAIT WHAT? Yeah, my wife got a new car. She was tired of leasing (which I had said for a decade was a bad idea) but she kind of went at it in a wonky way and welp, brand new Rav4.
$20k :barf: I'm looking to get rid of the whole shebang as quick as possible, but the rate is 2.69% so I'm not trying to liquidate the taxable fund.

4-Continue funding 529

5-Pay down the mortgage by an extra $15,000

Stretch of a stretch (because the endgoals for #3 and #5 are stretches themselves) - somehow manage to do all of this AND minimize the tax refund to under $1000

Updates:

1-on schedule

2-on schedule

3-I'm basically letting wifey dear handle this one; she is putting "a little extra each payment." When it comes to finances she lets me handle so much, she wanted be in charge of it as a sign of good faith. That extra was $100 in January and $112 in February.

4-Steady as she goes.

5-Ugh...So far I have ~2100 earmarked as house payment bonus accumulated, but some home-related repairs mean I may not come close to this by the end of the year.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

End of Feb Update:

Goal 1: Migrate my etrade roth IRA and taxable brokerage to Vanguard (already underway), and figure out a good allocation for me to stick with for retirement investment + low-risk assets for the money needed for goal 3
All etrade accounts totally closed. Vanguard Roth IRA opened, and my new asset allocation is 10% total bond fund, 51% US stocks, 30% intl stocks, and 9% REIT.
Once the house-buying headache is done, I will open a Vanguard taxable account for the rest of my savings, and I may revisit my allocation strategy at that point.

Goal 2: Buy an engagement ring :ssh: It's going to cost a little less than my current monthly salary. Luckily I have the cash for it without dipping into my long-term savings, but it's worth listing as a financial goal because it's a significant, unusual expense. Lucky for us, she and I both prefer a city hall wedding, so there's no wedding savings to worry about :peanut:
She said yes :peanut:

Goal 3: There used to be a lot of words here about setting aside housing/moving related money and maybe buying a house and now I'm definitely buying a house and we have it under contract so I'll just get to the point
I'm still excited about the house itself, and we're supposed to close on Apr 5th, and I have 24k (includes some extra just in case) set aside for closing cash.
But ughh gently caress the house-buying process. We're going to get work done on it (re-wiring because it's got old-rear end wiring that is fire hazard as gently caress, new roof) and the work is rolled into the mortgage, which means we have to have a contractor work plan before closing, and I am having a hell of a time getting contractors organized on this. The first contractor flaked on me 3 times for a simple walk-through before I fired him. Like, do you want this $15k job or not??

Goal 4: Save 40% of my salary and put it in whatever asset allocation I figure out in goal 1, including maxing my 2016 Roth contribution.
Stretch goal: save 60% of my salary. Given what my living costs were during my PhD, and considering what taxes will cost me, I think this is the max I could save.
The ring is going to eat into this a little though. The housing/moving fund can come out of my existing cash savings.

Still sort of on hold for a few months until i finish buying a house. Probably on track to save 40%, because of buying the house the stretch goal probably won't happen.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

El Mero Mero posted:

- Employment :/
- Pop a cork on something to celebrate having all of my student debt wiped away by my in-laws. Didn't ask for that, but I'll take it. (An awkward yet age-old financial shortcut.)
- Cross the bridge and try to understand the actual state of my wife's finances (it's all managed by someone else and she herself doesn't know.)
- Lose the car
- Once I actually know our joint finances, set a growth goal with the lady, and maybe a strategy with her finance guy.

-don't buy a house
-don't have a baby
-don't be forced to adopt either of my parents when something catastrophic happens to them (they're both old and both live in a state of semi-homelessness and I never know what's going to happen to them.)

- 1/2 employed in a well paying gig. So that's something
- Celebrated!
- Still working on getting her to go to her cpa for this
- Car is gone!
- We put together our budget and we're going to monitor this month and then see where we're falling short or can do better next based on this month's results.

Additions:
- Max out IRA
- Get the other 1/2 of the job.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

froglet posted:

Last year my goal was to have a years gross salary in non-retirement investments.. I made it. Barely. So let's get ambitious again!

2016 Goals:
- increase non-retirement investments from 60k to 80k
- stretch goal: increase non-retirement savings to 1.5x my gross salary.
- continue salary sacrificing $150 a month into superannuation
- stretch goal: increase net worth to $130k (including super)
- do one online course relevant to my industry
- read three finance books relevant to Australia (already working on this)

Last month I was worried I couldn't make it, this month...

- increase non-retirement investments from 60k to 80k
Was running the numbers last week and found I'm already halfway there. Not celebrating too early, though, because for all I know the stock market could tank in the next 9 months.

- stretch goal: increase non-retirement savings to 1.5x my gross salary.
Tried to quit my job, the boss gave me a 10k pay rise, which is nice. However, this goal is now technically possible, extremely unlikely (given my new salary). If I'm going by the number I was on at the beginning of the year, though, it's very possible!

- continue salary sacrificing $150 a month into superannuation
Still chugging along. Going to bump this up to $250 a month as a hedge against lifestyle inflation.

- stretch goal: increase net worth to $130k (including super)
About 20k shy of that goal.

- do one online course relevant to my industry
Did an hour-long online course, so I'm done with that, but part of my agreement with work was getting some time off to do another course. Aiming to get it done before EoFY in July.

- read three finance books relevant to Australia
Done! I get the impression the people writing these books want to be entombed in a pyramid made of gold or something.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

froglet posted:

- read three finance books relevant to Australia
Done! I get the impression the people writing these books want to be entombed in a pyramid made of gold or something.

Book report! Book report! (or just titles)

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

pig slut lisa posted:

Book report! Book report! (or just titles)

$1 Million for Life: How to Make It, Manage It, Maximise It by Ashley Ormond.
How to Give Your Kids $1 Million Each! (And It Won't Cost You a Cent), Updated Edition by Ashley Ormond

^ both of these were more intended for an older generation than myself, I think. The first book heavily promoted superannuation as a means of avoiding tax and investing for the future, but unless you're already on a high income this hamstrings you if you need the money outside of super (for a house/marriage/travel/kids/etc) Definitely worth a read as both contain Australia-specific information, but some of it was really optimistic and built around the idea of home ownership.

Lastly:
The One Page Financial Plan - Everything You Need to Successfully Manage Your Money and Invest for Wealth Creation by Sam Henderson

Again, I found some of it not particularly applicable to my situation, because it's about legal tax minimisation and sort of assumes you're not 40+ years away from retirement, but still had lots of good Australia-specific information.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Quarterly check-in:

- Secure some credit (2 cards + HELOC or better) as a safety net for possible job loss
Got my first credit card at age 40. $10k limit is plenty for my needs, but not much cushion if I have to be without work for 3 months. Will get another by summer. Waffling on HELOC but might go for it just so I have that line available in worst case scenario.

- Save first $2k (have been lousy at saving, currently at $400)
Already have $1k saved. Will aim higher, but wife also wants to squeeze in a vacation.

- Be employed for 10 months of 2016
This is on-track but not totally stable. Working to hedge my bets a bit.

- Implement a more reliable system for paying all bills on-time (has not been a problem, but is a risk)
All bills which can be automated have been setup as such. There are about 3 which cannot be so I've setup reminders and seem to be pretty good at paying first week of the month. I've actually flipped my budget to having cash on hand to pay everything off at once rather than living paycheck to paycheck so it's easier to just sit down 1 night a month and do it.

- Fund a trip somewhere without dipping into credit
TBD - trying to fund this without dipping into my real savings either.

- Pay off car early ($5,300 remaining)
I made 1 extra payment but haven't been able to do much more. Will see where we're at after the vacation.

- Home upgrades (sky light, solar)
Nothing yet.

- Increase retirement savings to above the match level (I'm way behind)
Forgot about this one. Should be easy to do this weekend.

- Get a bachelor's degree (so I can advance at work)
I keep missing the registration deadline for each term. Need to create reminders and get at least the last few classes of my associates done.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Thanks ausgoon. Just picked up all 3 on Kindle; give myself something productive to do on the long weekend during fits of sobriety

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
January post:

Moneyball posted:

2016 goal: Be worthless* :hellyeah:

*$24,400 combined debt repayment/savings and I will have a net worth of $0.

Last year I think I put a little too much E/N and too many numbers in to my first post. And I changed my focus a few times mid-year. This year, my goals are a little more clear.

Until I lose my 0% APR on my credit cards, I have around $3,000 a month income to play around with, with few expenses.

In order that I believe I can complete them:

1. Max out 2015 Roth IRA. (Mid-April)

2. Pay off my $8,800 @ 7.29 car loan. At that rate, I would get this done first, but have to meet the April 15th deadline for the IRA. I'll still knock it down by a lot before concentrating on the IRA, then resume paying it off. (May)

3. Pay off $4,000 credit card debt before the introductory 0% APR is up. $1,000 in October, rest at the end of 2016. (Technically, mid-January)

4. Max 2016 HSA. ($2,850 due to $500 employer contribution) (By last paycheck of year)

5. Stretch goal: Pay down student loans by $18,750 to only have 3.15% interest loans. (Leftover)

That's $21,150 not including the student loans, or $813 of my $1,400 paycheck. Even if I only start hacking away at my student loans, I'll be quite pleased.

Non-monetary goals:

1. Complete CPA

2. Get new job with CPA qualification.

1st quarter:

One more paycheck remaining for March, and I won't be spending much this week, so I'll go ahead and do my quarterly update.

Net worth as of December 14th: ($24,500) or so. Net worth by next paycheck: about ($13,000). +$3,800 a month. Not bad!

1. Actually abandoned this goal for 2015, because reasons. Will have such low debt in 2017 that I can definitely max out 2016

2. PAID, BITCHES. :hellyeah:

3. Balance is now up to $6,200. Obviously going in the wrong direction, but 0% APR until 2017. Will eliminate the balance late 2016.

4. Contributed $285 last paycheck, will do so for the next 9 paychecks. On track

5. Paid down about $4,500. Decided to pay down interest accruing debt instead of contributing to the IRA

So looking forward to be completely debt free in a year and a few months. Thanks, BFC!

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 9, 2016

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

sweet_jones posted:

1. Increase Net Worth to 160k

Begin: 114.9 / Q1: 128.7

Wow, we're already almost a quarter of the way into 2016!

sweet_jones posted:

2. Save 10k towards new car

Begin: 0 / Q1: 1,800

sweet_jones posted:

3. Raise emergency fund to 24k

Begin: 17.7 / Q1: 19.5

sweet_jones posted:

4. Pay cash for new suit and summer vacation. So, plan.

Love the new suit. I've also started a separate savings account that I'll use for vacations. I'm going to try and get 2400 in it by summer. We're going to Belize for two weeks. Stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

End of Quarter 1 Progress:

1. Raise my net worth from $55k to $70k. $58k. Drop due to tuition paid in cash! I never thought I'd be able to pay for tuition in cash. Amazing!

2. Pay off $5.4k of my car loan, which has $6.6k remaining. $1780/$5400. Aw yeah.

3. Do something vacation-y this summer without taking on debt. I haven't been on a vacation in 4 years and I need one desperately! $1.6k in the vacay fund.

4. Pay for my last semester of grad school in cash. $3k. Paid for my tuition today!

5. No credit card debt. On track.

6. Stretch Goal: Start saving for a house. A nominal amount, say $1500, just to get my morale going while I finish paying off the car. $535/$1500. Likely becoming a laptop fund. Battery is shot and graphics card is going! Since I'm killing the goal right now, I may be able to pay for the laptop and still hit this goal. :3:

Killin' it.

• Locked thread