Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

http://fusion.net/story/244545/famous-and-broke-on-youtube-instagram-social-media/

quote:

Money anxiety is a deep and longtime trigger for me. I’ve almost quit Just Between Us a few times, once after spending hours hysterically crying in my parked car because I wasn’t sure how I was going to make rent. My parents couldn’t help me financially because they had their own problems. I had already sold some of my old clothing at Crossroads and Buffalo Exchange. Allison’s parents offered to lend me money, but I wasn’t comfortable taking from them. Finally I borrowed money from a very kind friend who I’ve since paid back. During that time, I had more than 70,000 Twitter followers.

I eventually confided in Allison, and she’s taken on the lion’s share of paying our film crew. One day, I’ll pay her back in full. (She jokes it’ll be when we get a TV show.) But if I weren’t sharing the channel, I wouldn’t be able to afford to keep making videos for free.

at least half the people in this article have their value defined by their online follower count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

post your fave poor-rear end vlogger channels

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

this guy owns https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp68_FLety0O-n9QU6phsgw

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

a man stands at the busiest intersection in the city. he screams at passing cars and waves his cardboard sign at them. 50000 people see him a week and could recognize him on sight.

how could this man possibly be poor?!?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

digital laborers

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

OldAlias posted:

digital laborers

digital samwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I only have 40 followers but my following to follower ratio is 2.3 which is excellent so I don't feel a lot of anxiety.

• Locked thread