Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Same. The demon fight last arc dragged a lot, and I'm honestly not a fan of the ever-escalating power levels trope. Like, you had the elves. That's fine. Then you have the demon, who's stronger than the rivers m elves. Okay I guess? And now we get these random dudes who are stronger than the demon apparently? gently caress off.

The high point of this manga for me was Mereoleona fighting several elves, who were each supposed to be miles ahead of her in power, to a standstill through sheer stubborness and hot-bloodedness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

New chapter continues this

Might drop it if this keeps going on.

Mikl posted:

The high point of this manga for me was Mereoleona fighting several elves, who were each supposed to be miles ahead of her in power, to a standstill through sheer stubbornness and hot-bloodedness.
Yup and yup. It would be one thing if literally anyone involved in the last three or four chapters was a cool or interesting character but they're all Golden Dawn lame-os and then this last chapter introducing SMALL PERCENTAGE INCREASES as the big finishing move capable of wrecking the secondary main character is truly groan-worthy.

There is no Shonen manga that cannot be ruined by introducing numerically measurable power-ups to it. Sure, when I was like 10 I got hype to go to PlanetNamek.com and read how huge characters' power levels were in DBZ but that was a long time ago. Maybe modern kids still get hyped for "whooooa only 5% more made him that much stronger??" but given how few modern series' go the numbers route I wouldn't be sure.

I'll keep reading because hell, I read Bleach to the end, but if they don't pull up soon it'll turn to a 1000 year blood war-level skim pretty quick.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean, the true joke will be that no percentage increase will matter when Asta cancels it out with his sword. 10% or 50% times zero is still zero

My bigger fear is that this is their method for turning Yuno into Sasuke 2.0: i.e. they kill of his team and he turns to demon magic to get stronger and gets corrupted, etc. Although they did have the opportunity to do this with the elf possession and didn't go that route.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'll be impressed if these deaths actually stick(aside from Yuno of course) but I'm not optimistic.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RatHat posted:

I'll be impressed if these deaths actually stick(aside from Yuno of course) but I'm not optimistic.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006271

Oh no its....

a bunch of inconsequential shits

Also im loving dropping this piece of poo poo if Yami gets worfed

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Man oh man, what a mess this series has become (not that the story wasn't already on thin ice). What the gently caress is the point of a training time-skip if you're just going to immediately have a dozen infinite-magic Majin Buus appear out of nowhere wrecking everyone with power level and demon-percent lingo?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

to make asta comically big

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Oh no! Not the random people we barely knew and didn't care about! Oh, the humanity! :ohdear:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sucks to be a redshirt

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Cool poo poo, black clover's only redeeming feature for a while now, doesnt even happen anymore. Every spell is a messy full screen super.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Hahaha I literally just started reading this series last week and caught up last night just in time for this nonsense to start happening. I actually really liked where this was going with the "Oh you've killed a Satan but there's no actual proof of it so someone's gotta pay for all the violence" leading to an exploration and fleshing out of the world but then it had to muddy the waters with a literal Tier List. Maybe it's on me for expecting better from a series that didn't write Gauche out of existence when it had the chance.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
This is disheartening because im a big fan of the anime. When does the rot kick in? How bad? Naruto final war arc bad? Bleach bad?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

IMO the moment we see the big floating elf rock it's all rapidly downhill

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if the timeskip was done for the sake of the anime since it's really close to catching up to the manga.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

imo it went from average to slightly below average. this series was never amazing but the time skip was kinda dumb and asta's redesign is bad

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Black Clover is good when it comes to 2-page spreads, imagery, cast (not including villains), and humor.

I don't really find most of the villains other than Vento (1st form) that interesting.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
It also feels like it has something to say but fumbles the metaphor, like so much of the ruling class and the nobility is shown to be actively resentful of the lower class for breathing their air, and this is shown to be bad and wrong, but then Royalty is explicitly better than everyone else at using the magic that the entire world revolves around? And then they solved the moral dilemma of "is it really just to force the elves to die again" with "oh no the elf leader didn't want this and it was Literally The Devil's fault that genocide happened" to immediately be followed by people equaling poo poo? Then they retroactively make some of the worst people in the cast have noble or just intentions, like how The Nozzle was only a cold unfeeling monster to his kid sister because he was trying to keep her safe or whatever. Looking forward to learning how Zenon is actually a pretty nice guy once you get to know him.

the bulls are still 90% good though and I'm happy that Charmy exists as the first character in fiction that I can almost completely relate to as I too am only motivated by food

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm assuming the 10% is Gauche.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wish Magne got more of a spotlight, he's constantly shafted among the Bulls.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

hey something cool happened

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Patware posted:

hey something cool happened

Well you know exactly what is going to happen next chapter because boy does this manga do nothing but live up to everyones chap by chap expectations.
Its so predictable once it gets going.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Ya know what? I'm out. This whole "Hahaha I was actually only using a tiny fraction of my power" stuff, I find it really annoying. Shame, this manga used to be good.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

at least with the demon, like, the demon looked loving cool

this guy not so much. he doesn't look bad but i look at him and feel nothing. where the demon looked extremely out-of-universe this guy kind of looks like he was distilled out of all the other signature black clover art touches

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh no not Gauche :geno:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Oh no. I'm sure he is dead for real.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
gonna be honest I love Black Clover even though it is absolutely generic as gently caress because the art rules and the new Asta form has me hyped

its not like number increments haven't been a thing in manga for ages

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Black Clover is a mess, but it's our mess.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Desperate Character posted:

gonna be honest I love Black Clover even though it is absolutely generic as gently caress because the art rules and the new Asta form has me hyped

its not like number increments haven't been a thing in manga for ages

idk why but new asta form makes me think of naruto but with a sword

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Did they ever work out the issue with him looking like his pecs had replaced his lungs?

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I know I'm a fool for letting myself get excited for anything to have permanence in this

but YES RIP THAT loving BANDAID RIGHT OFF

Maybe it's because I talked myself out of expecting anything good to happen and then Gauche got turbo-stabbed on the very next page and thus I was vindicated, but I'm 100% back on board now even with the dumb Devil Percentages.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
so now we know for certain that there are different demons with each triad member; Asta's demon is a much weaker one; and transformation magic is absolutely useless (until she somehow saves Gauche with it because this is Black Clover everyone). I'm pretty hyped for when we get Lucifero's full design.

god drat are black clover fights beautiful :allears:

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

I wonder why Asta's devil with magic nullification would be considered a nobody. That is a strong ability in a world founded on magic power.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

profileusername posted:

I wonder why Asta's devil with magic nullification would be considered a nobody. That is a strong ability in a world founded on magic power.
I think Asta's devil has been on earth/human side for ages (possessing Asta or someone else), which is why super bad guy doesn't know much about him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

profileusername posted:

I would assume it's because they have not heard of him, and because at a glance it does not seem that good.

Also it appears they don't know that the Word Soul Devil was defeated, they probably think he is or has taken over Clover.

Suspicious Lump posted:

I think Asta's devil has been on earth/human side for ages (possessing Asta or someone else), which is why super bad guy doesn't know much about him.

We know that is not exactly the case. As Asta's Devil called the Word Soul Devil his senior, and knew about him. (Though not vice versa.)

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It will probably turn out that Asta's devil is the devil equivalent of Asta. He's not really powerful at all in comparison to the other devils but possessing Asta allows him to use his abilities far more effectively and closes the gap between him and more powerful devils. Assuming devils get something out of possessing people other than a meat puppet that they can use to interact with the world with that is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eighties ZomCom posted:

It will probably turn out that Asta's devil is the devil equivalent of Asta. He's not really powerful at all in comparison to the other devils but possessing Asta allows him to use his abilities far more effectively and closes the gap between him and more powerful devils. Assuming devils get something out of possessing people other than a meat puppet that they can use to interact with the world with that is.

I assume they can do more. I imagine that once they get what they want they will do what Zagred the Word Soul Devil did and fully manifest.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Has it been stated why demons want to enter humans world? Apart from the usual corrupt humans to do evil blah blah.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Suspicious Lump posted:

Has it been stated why demons want to enter humans world? Apart from the usual corrupt humans to do evil blah blah.

They seem to just be evil jackasses.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
God dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I don't know why peeps aren;t linking to the releases.
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006405

I think this one is official?

Pretty cool big bad guy went bare-handed against Asta.