Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The colour question is the value of pi represented by snooker balls, with the dash being 9 (there is no snooker ball with a value of 9)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Demonachizer posted:

I threw together a python script that is now checking every possible page. Should take an hour then I will link the next portion.

The next portion is much harder.

Shall I just link the answers for part 2?

Moridin920 posted:

this is all well and good but terrorists are just using free-to-play phone game apps to communicate with each other so good job crypto assholes way to be useful

GCHQ pay is also terrible unless you are some sort of senior manager. It is still public sector work.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Demonachizer posted:

Oh yeah you could just link the answers. I thought it hadn't been solved yet.

d e f a c e

If you are seriously smart enough to solve all of this poo poo, go and work in a bank or something and at least make decent cash.

I got 2/5 for part 2 and cheated for the other 3 questions.

Part 3 looks autism level.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I don't understand this

Moridin920 posted:

I hate those questions because it always feels like some bullshit 'what am I thinking of' game instead of actually measuring intelligence or skill or whatever.

I mean what is 'Which of these is not the odd one out?' by definition there must at least be 2 viable answers then you dolts. How do you pick a single item out of 5-6 that is both singularly the correct answer AND isn't 'the odd one out' (ie has some sort of commonality with one or more of the others)?

You have the wrong kind of autism. That is exactly what they want to check you idiot:how are these suspects encoding their messages, so there is a massive "what am I thinking" factor. Are you trolling?

Also, there are apparently 5 parts, not 3.

gently caress this.

spud fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 15, 2015

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Part 4:

http://www.cub-zone-often.org.uk/layered/

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moridin920 posted:

What is confusing me is I can make a set of rules that would exclude any one of them. Why is the correct answer on the first question 'Shallot' and not one of the others? If it isn't 'the odd one out' then how come it is the only answer with the letter 'h' in it?

My point is the 'right' answer is completely arbitrary unless the entire point of the exercise is to end up with a set of answers that read out 'deface' at the end or some dumb meta poo poo like that.

EDIT: you missed the NOT.... "Not the odd one out". You are looking for commonality not difference.

----

Then your rules were incorrect. It's not soley an iq test... For the colour question I could have arbitrarily said the colour order were the candle colours on my nephew's birthday cake. The answer might be correct but it wouldn't be globally applicable or correct in this case, and you would need personal a priori knowledge.

For the first question, what rules do you have to make another word not the odd one out?

I see only one set of rules to satisfy the question.

spud fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 15, 2015

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moridin920 posted:

Not the odd one out = commonality with some others. The question is asking which word is NOT the odd one out (ie you can't come up with a ruleset that would exclude it from the others thus it is never the odd one out). Right?

The actual answer given those parameters is 'none of them.'

I didn't miss the NOT, it's the reason why the question sucks. Their logic is muddled.

None of them wasn't a choice though,which bounds the problem space massively. I would completely agree with you if the question was open ended.

When you work it through, Shallot is the only answer.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You aren't thinking outside the box.

The H in Shallot is just like the U in suggest. What makes suggest different from shallot? Instead of trying to make a global set of rules based solely on the letters in each word (I did this, coming from a comp sci background, and its the wrong way of thinking), compare each word with every other and try to eliminate one of the pair.

Hint: you need meta data,i.e it's not just about the letters in each word.

Answer: Suggest is not a noun, therefore different

E. Saffron ends in n, therefore unique.

Holy crap I laughed... Was this coincidence that it is art within art or what?

spud fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 15, 2015

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok... Maybe write to them and say this.

I can't offer anymore help,other than this is not a straight IQ test. I am not even any good at this stuff, but Q1 did make sense to me.

Oh, you are still comparing each word over the entire set. That does not work. It's on a pair basis.

E. You are loving killing me man, im typing all poo poo this on my phone. Start with the basics : one word is 6 letters long, the rest are 7. No matter how you slice it, that word is different. There is an order of preference for elimination.

I feel like I'm talking to rain man.

spud fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moridin920 posted:

Maybe I'm just fundamentally missing something.

Ok I broke out the loving laptop for this:

YES! STOP COMPARING THINGS GLOBALLY YOU ARE loving KILLING ME.

If you compare A to B, make a decision, and then one is gone.

Now your set is reduced to 5 options.Then 4, then 3, and so on.

If you hit a dead end, expand back to 6, and start with comparing A to C, and then work on as before.

In all your examples you just compare everything to everything else, trying to make some global ruleset that you can just apply regardless of what you are comparing to whatever else, and i've said at least 3 times, stop doing that.

As a human you can shortcut this, by seeing for example, that SONNET only has 6, and all others have 7, so no matter which 2 you start comparing, the answer is the same: B is gone. This is called COMMON SENSE. You can also do this with TORRENT vs anything else. You rapidly end up with 3 possibilities.

This was one of only 2 easy questions I understood and could solve.

spud fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 15, 2015

• Locked thread