Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
UPS story:

new fruit product got shipped to me. Because I am not home during business hours they left the sticky, I said 'yeah I'll just head to the DC it's a 15-minute bike ride from me'.

Get there, because I have an out-of-state ID, they make me go home to get a utility bill/etc. to prove I live there. When I return, they go COOL BRB and snatch everything then photocopy it without asking, then appear with my package. I then ask what their data-retention policy is for that photocopy, they respond with 'oh our manager told us we had to do it with fruit things in case someone says we lost it.'

I then proceed to yell at their customer service department on Twitter for being shady and now having lots of un-tracked personal info, conveniently usable for identity theft. Their corporate compliance department then calls me to tell me that they fired pretty much everyone involved in the process at the warehouse and that a team has been dispatched to ensure that everything they collected has been securely shredded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

good for you -- a job well done.

but stop calling it "fruit" please

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

graph posted:

i shipped 3 things all less than half a pound ups and it was 40 fuckin dollars lol

if your workplace has a fedex/ups account, try getting access to it and use your personal credit card along with their negotiated rates, they'll often be significantly less

if you're sending retail rates with ups or fedex youre getting buttfucked, i have no idea why people pay it

usps supremacy

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
FedEx has no problem emailing me when things are on their way to my address, and then offering to redirect to the Business Formerly Known As Kinkos a block down from my office at no charge where the person there will very helpfully give me my things.

UPS will redirect my things at $5 per package (or $40/year) to a dimly lit Business Formerly Known As Mailboxes Etc. or hold at a distribution center where people give zero fucks.

USPS is usually good but recently they've been claiming to leave 'we missed you' notices without actually doing so. It's to the point where I head down to the Post Office and say 'I live on <street> and never got a package' then instead of shouting at me they go "oh god that area… yeah here's your stuff…"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

yeah i did the fedex redirect to a kinkos for free recently for something that had to be signed and it worked pretty well

except the idiots at the store took 20 minutes to find my box because someone put it somewhere different than all the other boxes that arrived that day for no apparent reason

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

literally every time I have had something delivered by those assbats it's been hosed

'overnight delivery' gets marked as delivered even though it never shows up. Amazon overnights me another one. Several days later, after the replacement arrives, there's a knock on the door, and I find the original package.

Guaranteed next-day delivery by 5 PM to an Amazon Locker doesn't actually get dropped off until 10 PM, when I'm already out of the city.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

good for you -- a job well done.

but stop calling it "fruit" please

i think he means like buttplugs and heavy duty anal lube and stuff which would be p embarrassing if it got leaked via poor data security processes

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

amazon charged me $60 at the door once.

it was a fee so i could pay $40 in tax.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm shipping with UPS because the loving DPD site isn't very helpful about sending things unless you are a business

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

usps is the best system. 3 day shipping across the country for almost no money. i have never had them lose or destroy a package. post office is right around the corner at the mall, ups distro center is in the middle of some kafkaesque maze of industrial parks by the airport. post office mail-lady delivers things at 10am. ups comes by at 6pm.

also, lest the shaggars and libertarians say anything about taxes, the usps is entirely self-funded with the sale of stamps and boxes and stuff
is that the ups warehouse where you have to call during the day to arrange a pickup if they missed you, then get there to the middle of the industrial park at exactly at 8:50pm just so you can get into the door within that 10 minute window before they close at 9pm to pickup your package?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DaNzA posted:

is that the ups warehouse where you have to call during the day to arrange a pickup if they missed you, then get there to the middle of the industrial park at exactly at 8:50pm just so you can get into the door within that 10 minute window before they close at 9pm to pickup your package?

yes, that's the one

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ups and fedex et al only beat out the usps by it not being a felony to ship alcohol via them w/o a license

USPS beats everyone for shipping actual felonies around though. They are the only carrier where local cops and feds alike can't just start opening your poo poo without a US Postal Inspector and a warrant. Back when "communication" meant "mail a goddamn letter", the US government actually gave a poo poo about privacy so they wrote a bunch of crazy strict laws preventing the USPS from doing nearly anything with your packages except delivering them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

the usps loses shaggars parcels and shoves literal poop in his mailbox on purpose because they know he's shaggar, hth

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hosed usp if true

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i won a motorola starmax 5000 at macworld 1997. motorola said 'well ship it the day after macworld.' it shipped in the morning then in the afternoon ups went on strike for 3 months. lol

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

graph posted:

i won a motorola starmax 5000 at macworld 1997. motorola said 'well ship it the day after macworld.' it shipped in the morning then in the afternoon ups went on strike for 3 months. lol
UPS did you a favor.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

jeff bezoz needs to hurry up and disrupt shipping with his drones that are totally practical and without and technical or legislative issues

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jimmy Carter posted:

UPS story:

new fruit product got shipped to me. Because I am not home during business hours they left the sticky, I said 'yeah I'll just head to the DC it's a 15-minute bike ride from me'.

Get there, because I have an out-of-state ID, they make me go home to get a utility bill/etc. to prove I live there. When I return, they go COOL BRB and snatch everything then photocopy it without asking, then appear with my package. I then ask what their data-retention policy is for that photocopy, they respond with 'oh our manager told us we had to do it with fruit things in case someone says we lost it.'

I then proceed to yell at their customer service department on Twitter for being shady and now having lots of un-tracked personal info, conveniently usable for identity theft. Their corporate compliance department then calls me to tell me that they fired pretty much everyone involved in the process at the warehouse and that a team has been dispatched to ensure that everything they collected has been securely shredded.

lol. "wahhh ups did the bare minimum to guarantee a package wasn't stolen"

should have shipped usps. they don't care about who gets packages

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Visual GNUdio posted:

UPS did you a favor.

our home computer at the time was a powermac 6100/60. it was a long three months

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

usps is the best system. 3 day shipping across the country for almost no money. i have never had them lose or destroy a package. post office is right around the corner at the mall, ups distro center is in the middle of some kafkaesque maze of industrial parks by the airport. post office mail-lady delivers things at 10am. ups comes by at 6pm.

also, lest the shaggars and libertarians say anything about taxes, the usps is entirely self-funded with the sale of stamps and boxes and stuff

actually they aren't. not even close. that's why they shove garbage in your mailbox. they have to make up for undercharging on postage.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

so much anger at the flyers itt

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I love having to sift thru mounds of garbage to get to the one or two pieces of legitimate mail I get per month

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

if a package has to be signed for and you cant be home, only having to go to your nearest post office that's probably just a couple miles away instead of the nearest fedex/ups distribution center thats 20 miles away supremacy

ups sends my packages to the ups store if i miss delivery

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 15, 2015

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

I love having to sift thru mounds of garbage to get to the one or two pieces of legitimate mail I get per month

This complaint is legit, can't tell you how many times 100% of what's in my mailbox goes right into the recycle bin

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

This complaint is legit, can't tell you how many times 100% of what's in my mailbox goes right into the recycle bin

or the trash, because the local Toyota dealer sends gimmick car keys glued to their flyers

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:canada:

quote:

To stop getting unaddressed advertising, simply put a note on your mailbox stating that you do not wish to receive Canada Post Neighbourhood Mail™(formerly Unaddressed Admail). Place the note in or on your mailbox, or on the inside lip of your community mailbox, group mailbox or postal box.

At your request, we can stop delivering most unaddressed advertising, such as:

Coupons, flyers.
Free newspapers, magazines, catalogues.
Municipal service notices, such as snow removal and garbage pickup information.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

that's genuinely pretty terrible, sorry you have a good thing with a lovely thing stuck to it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

maniacdevnull posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mishaq posted:

free saturday delivery + express shipping including sunday + holidays at no extra charge usps supremacy

mishaq posted:

sending small packages under 13 oz from new york to california in 3 days for less than $3 usps supremacy

no extra surcharge to send to hawaii or alaska usps supremacy

mishaq posted:

ive literally never had the usps lose anything

Stereotype posted:

USPS is amazing and they have never lost a package of mine, but UPS is horrible and loses my poo poo or smashes it for no reason pretty much 100% of the time, I can only assume that UPS is still around because its name is close to USPS, an amazing mail delivery service.

Sagebrush posted:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it is literally unconstitutional to be against the usps

look at all these correct, morally admirable posts

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

UPS and Fedex are trashheap shitcutters and charge you out the rear end for the honor

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

they should charge the real cost of shipping so they don't have to resort to garbage stuffing

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

indigi posted:

UPS and Fedex are trashheap shitcutters and charge you out the rear end for the honor

sending a 1 pound package from New York City to LA:

FedEx

UPS:

USPS:

getting it there in two days is almost quadruple the cost with fedex/ups lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

they should charge the real cost of shipping so they don't have to resort to garbage stuffing

they make money on every package. usps parcel post is very profitable. in general, the usps is hugely profitable. if it was a private firm, investors would crawl over bodies to get a piece of it.

the losses come from two terrifying fixed costs imposed on them by congress
  1. mandated service to bumfuck, south dakota

virtually all mail and parcel traffic goes to places with people. the usps operates thousands of post offices and rural routes that are guaranteed to lose money every year, without fail. congress mandates they do this.

2. a fully funded pension with extremely unusual accounting

normal companies promise their workers magical bullshit 30 years in the future, then fund the pension to the tune of 10% of what a competent auditor might want to see. the post office, instead, funds its pension at like 200% of what is necessary, in order to cover worst case scenarios.

worse, the present-day funding for future pension costs is accounted for as immediate liabilities, year to year. no private firm, not even retirement funds, has ever done accounting this way.

the usps "loses money" every year on its offical books, while being wildly profitable by any normal standard. of course, this is mandated by congress.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 15, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the usps and amtrak are both really dumb not because they are bad ideas, but because congress is schizophrenic. you cannot order a firm to provide money-losing services, then chastise its management for losing money. that is not reasonable behavior

if we want usps/amtrak to make money, don't saddle them with dumbass mandated services

if we want usps/amtrak to provide minimum levels of universal service, stop worrying about penny shavings and subsidize them with tax dollars.

you can't have it both ways

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i want to find the person who decided a public service should be run like a corporation and shoot him with balls of his own poop

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'm pretty sure the post office had to fully fund the pensions of every single employee as of 2009 by 2015 or something fuckin ridiculous.

also even if USPS cost as much and had the same lovely level of service as UPS/FedEx, I'd still ship with USPS because they treat and pay their employees like human beings with dignity. I worked at UPS for a while and I've been told it's the same as FedEx - you're treated like poo poo and worked like a dog. the facility I worked, you had to ask the manager for the key to the bathroom. gently caress that.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mail delivery is pretty worthless and it should be done away with

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

did anyone see where those goalposts went??

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

a lot of the stuff i get from ups and fedex gets delivered by the post office anyway.

i'm pretty sure ups/fedex just drives my package over to the post office at the point of origin, and USPS puts it on a truck or a plane and takes it across the country and delivers it directly to my mailbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ludwig van Halen posted:

a lot of the stuff i get from ups and fedex gets delivered by the post office anyway.

i'm pretty sure ups/fedex just drives my package over to the post office at the point of origin, and USPS puts it on a truck or a plane and takes it across the country and delivers it directly to my mailbox.

other way around

ups and fedex will fly your poo poo across the country, and deliver presorted bags of mail/parcels/whatever to local post offices

usps offers significant discounts for this, and the discounts get better and better the more you can sort the mail for them.

sending to a specific post office: good
sorting for specific zip+4s: better
sorting down to the specific order of houses for an individual mail carrier: best

• Locked thread