Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Surprised that there wasn't a thread already posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/14/10104714/system-shock-3-announcement-official-otherside-entertainment

"Otherside Entertainment confirmed that System Shock 3 is in development, following the early, accidental reveal of a countdown clock set to unveil the news today.

Compensating for the spoiled reveal are a flurry of new details about the game, which remains undated and without a platform. Familiar character SHODAN will return, and the game's website has been updated with new dialogue for the character provided by her original voice actor.

Also working on the game are original team members like concept artist Robb Waters and Otherside founder Paul Neurath, who led the series' development at original developer Looking Glass Studios.

Signing up for updates about the project enters you to win an exclusive print of SHODAN designed by Waters, while also hinting at a possible new direction for the game. The required survey that enrolls you for the email updates includes a question gauging interest in a virtual reality System Shock title.

Whether that refers to a potential VR component of System Shock 3 or a different title is up in the air. A press release, however, confirms that there is a future for System Shock beyond this long-awaited new entry. OtherSide owns the rights to producing further games in the franchise, while trademark holder Night Dive Studios is collaborating to give the team access to using the System Shock name itself for this and any other games.

The new System Shock title is the series' first since 1999, when Looking Glass Studios released System Shock 2 for Windows PC.

Recently, Night Dive Studios announced plans to give gamers another chance to return to System Shock. The developer is working on a faithfully reimagined version of the original game. The studio also remastered the PC title for a re-release earlier this fall, as well. "

Interesting and obviously a long time coming. They're currently working on Underworld Ascendant which doesn't look too fantastic yet, but it is still early in development I guess. Hopefully they will do Shock justice. I just hope the production values will be up to what they need to be and the gameplay remains relatively deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'd love to see a new system shock. Really liked the atmosphere of 2. Scared the poo poo out of me back in the day. Never managed to get to the very end.

Did some goon coop years later but we gave up after a crash and save file corruption. Should probably do a full run now.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sounds neat, but uh.. not many people willing to talk about it..

*coughs nervously* So.. why is that? No real game info so theres nothing to talk about or.. what?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
IPs are stupid

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Gejnor posted:

*coughs nervously* So.. why is that? No real game info so theres nothing to talk about or.. what?

It'll be several years before whatever it ends up being sees the light of day (seriously, why bother announcing it this early), and neither of the original directors or the original designer are involved (Levine is off doing his own thing obviously and Church works for Valve now IIRC). It'll be tough to get excited until we can see how the project is shaping up.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Gejnor posted:

Ehh, gives a chance to talk about the System Shock 1 remake and any decent mods for System Shock 1/2.

Goodpancakes posted:

I'd love to see a new system shock. Really liked the atmosphere of 2. Scared the poo poo out of me back in the day. Never managed to get to the very end.

Did some goon coop years later but we gave up after a crash and save file corruption. Should probably do a full run now.

One of the reason why the atmosphere is so great in 2 is the developers really focused on using sound, not graphics, to freak the player out. Being able to hear the various monster (the many telling you the run, the chirp of the monkeys, the upbeat tone of the suicide droids) went a long way to freak out the player without just showing a mess of bloody pixels. I really wish more developers would try to focus on that area more.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

BexGu posted:

Ehh, gives a chance to talk about the System Shock 1 remake and any decent mods for System Shock 1/2.

One of the reason why the atmosphere is so great in 2 is the developers really focused on using sound, not graphics, to freak the player out. Being able to hear the various monster (the many telling you the run, the chirp of the monkeys, the upbeat tone of the suicide droids) went a long way to freak out the player without just showing a mess of bloody pixels. I really wish more developers would try to focus on that area more.

Agreed. The dark engine had a brilliant sound implementation. Hopefully that's something this team will remember.

What a phenomenal game. I bought the proper big box version about 10 years ago with the cool shiny Shodan face.

My last run of SS2 was my favorite yet. I played Navy on Insane with a lot of tasteful graphics mods - whatever the primary texture mod is, plus stuff like flora model updates and massively improved space skyboxes (by Vort, I think). It was awesome going from making every scarce bullet count to a killing machine with the Assault Rifle and Grenade Launcher. Plus, NewDark, the new version of the engine that was mysteriously released a few years ago, has modern resolution support and HDR lighting which is totally customizable, giving you the ability to have nice subtle lighting effects.

I think my next playthrough will be the OSA which I've never done. Any tips?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
It's been too long, I have little faith in this being something that evokes what people have raised the originals to but will keep my eyes on this warily.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Your thread flesh is an insult to the perfection of the digital.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I never played either games much, but I admire SHODAN, her voice actress and her impact on the industry.

I look forward to her reprisal and since I have nothing to compare it to, I look forward to judging the game by itself.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Your thread flesh is an insult to the perfection of the digital.

Nah

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

beepstreet posted:

Agreed. The dark engine had a brilliant sound implementation. Hopefully that's something this team will remember.

What a phenomenal game. I bought the proper big box version about 10 years ago with the cool shiny Shodan face.

My last run of SS2 was my favorite yet. I played Navy on Insane with a lot of tasteful graphics mods - whatever the primary texture mod is, plus stuff like flora model updates and massively improved space skyboxes (by Vort, I think). It was awesome going from making every scarce bullet count to a killing machine with the Assault Rifle and Grenade Launcher. Plus, NewDark, the new version of the engine that was mysteriously released a few years ago, has modern resolution support and HDR lighting which is totally customizable, giving you the ability to have nice subtle lighting effects.

I think my next playthrough will be the OSA which I've never done. Any tips?

Do you have some links to the stuff you used? SS2 is still a great game but man oh man some of the original models are rough. At least is loads insane fast on modern system now.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Man I never did finish System Shock 2, I got the bit on the second spaceship with the invisible spiders and then lost interest and gave up, always hoped they'd do a remastered sequel since it comes from a time when new ides in games were interesting but technical limitations stunted the potential. I'll take a whole new game though!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I remember someone did a really good and thorough LP of SS2 years ago. I'll have to dig that out when I get home.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

ChogsEnhour posted:

I remember someone did a really good and thorough LP of SS2 years ago. I'll have to dig that out when I get home.

I know the exact one you are talking about... gently caress, who was the LP'er?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Psychedelic Eyeball did a fantastic LP of it a while back. It's really good.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Having played all the Bioshock games I don't think not having Ken Levine on board is really a negative.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they already made System Shock 3

it was called Bioshock

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Eonwe posted:

they already made System Shock 3

it was called Bioshock

Actually it was called Dead Space

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Actually it was called Dead Space

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A while ago someone did a series of interviews/podcasts with former looking glass members. It's pretty much a must-listen if you like designers talk about what they focus on and how Looking Glass worked.

http://gambit.mit.edu/updates/audio/looking_glass_studios_podcast/

Now to play bingo with what team members get into this project...

• Locked thread