Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
The main modern incarnation of horseshoe theory is that both far-leftists (like Jill Stein and George Galloway) and far-rightists (like Le Pen and even Trump) have both decided that Vladimir Putin and Russian imperialism are cool and good. Bernie thankfully isn't saying any poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

kanye

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Losers aren't winners and Mr. Trump is a winner, he has told us this with great tact, several times in fact. I am going with Donald J. Trump, the one who no one can stump.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm under the impression that Bernie is the stallion that mounts the world.

Imagine this, but with Bernie's face. :nws: http://i.imgur.com/Y8OuuQl.jpg :nws:

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
TRUMP will be President and only garbage people will be unhappy about it.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Everyone is united on preventing illegal immigration, there isn't a D or R candidate out there saying "sure, who needs borders anyway?". The differences, other than dealing with those already here, are the levels of spending and force they are willing to bring to the Mexican border.

Are you loving serious?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Immortan posted:

Are you loving serious?

are you a loving moron? (a: yes)

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Imagine this, but with Bernie's face. :nws: http://i.imgur.com/Y8OuuQl.jpg :nws:

I imagined that as trump and the earth as bernie's face.

Hilalry on bernie works too.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Immortan posted:

Are you loving serious?

There is not a single candidate saying we need open borders, no. I thought you learned this last time it came up.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Homework Explainer posted:

horseshoe theory has zero understanding of class relationships, so yeah, it kind of flies in the face of communist ideology. class pretty obviously exists though so it shouldn't be accepted by anyone with a passing familiarity of how the world works

Both the far left and fascists accept the existence of class, fascists accept the marxist analysis on class and capitalism for the most part. They just have different resolutions for it: namely to have the state and national incorporate both labor and capital into a cohesive whole and to mediate conflicts between them rather than have a class based revolution.

In practice fascists and communists both banned independent trade unions and used state controlled unions to manage labor. Hence why they are similar.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Its me. I'm the write in candidate that will win the popular vote.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Jewel Repetition posted:

There is not a single candidate saying we need open borders, no. I thought you learned this last time it came up.

You're right, there are no politicians who want cheap labor or a permanent voting block. I've been owned.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

point of return posted:

The main modern incarnation of horseshoe theory is that both far-leftists (like Jill Stein and George Galloway) and far-rightists (like Le Pen and even Trump) have both decided that Vladimir Putin and Russian imperialism are cool and good. Bernie thankfully isn't saying any poo poo like that.

Why do so many people on the far-left have hardons for dictators? I mean I don't need an explanation for why the far-right likes them but it can be baffling in the case of some of the leftists because they're cheering on people who go against everything they stand for just because they too are willing to poo poo on "the west."

Galloway for example, he's been a supporter of LGBT rights for a long time but he goes to bat defending Iran's execution of gays of all things. He claims that they really don't do it and that all of those men who have been executed are really pedophiles. That's probably the most extreme example I can think of but I've seen other cases of leftists defending the indefensible for God knows what reason.

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 19:44 on Dec 21, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

a lot of people are drawn to authoritarian ideas i guess. a bunch of prominent American neoconservatives were all Trotskyists when they were younger

horseshoe theory looks really dumb and bad tho. politics isn't a number line where you can mathematically slot each ideology onto one neat list

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
horseshoe theory always made intuitive sense to me, given the far left and far right (relative for every country) tend to both be the pissed off, disaffected types, who feel like their needs aren't being served by politicians, state institutions, and the private sector (collectively the establishment). And while their policy positions tend to have some extreme differences, both sides are only successful when they're able to tap into that extreme anger to bring in people who may actually be politically moderate, but are very pissed off

ie, many trump supporters would be bernie supporters and vice-versa if they had different friends or listened to a different radio station, because while they may not understand what's wrong with the country, both sides are providing convenient boogeymen for why their lives aren't getting better (muslims/mexicans vs wall st)

this really isnt meant to be an insult either side. obviously lots of bern and trump supporters have very deep understanding of their positions and strong ideological convictions. it's more about popular support

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Reason posted:

Its me. I'm the write in candidate that will win the popular vote.

The American electorate will never be swayed by reason.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
It'll be Hillary, any way you slice it.

Bernie will win a few small primary/caucus states (VT, NH, OR, WA, maybe MN and CO) and have a few delegates, but Clinton will sweep him easily. His votes (myself included, in the primaries), will vote Hillary in the general. She's not inspiring by any means, but she is competent. And the alternatives are terrifying for everyone to the left of the Yahoo! politics boards.

Republicans have one of three things happen. They will lose in all cases.

1) Trump carries a win into the convention, there's no brokering or fighting, they make him the nominee. He loses a lot of luster as he runs to the center (or just keeps saying stupid poo poo), Hillary attacks mercilessly, wins easily with Obama's 2008 map minus IN, plus AZ and MO. Republicans pull most of their support from the campaign and end up spending most of their time, energy, and money on downticket races.

2) Convention is brokered, Rubio/Cruz end up being the nominee. This makes Trump mad and he runs as an independent. Due to splitting the R vote, Hillary wins with over 400 electoral votes, pretty much effortlessly.

3) Rubio/Cruz actually beat Trump legitimately and become the nominees. Race ends up being tighter, but she still wins with basically Obama's 2012 map minus FL.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

blackmet posted:

1) Trump carries a win into the convention, there's no brokering or fighting, they make him the nominee. He loses a lot of luster as he runs to the center (or just keeps saying stupid poo poo), Hillary attacks mercilessly, wins easily with Obama's 2008 map minus IN, plus AZ and MO. Republicans pull most of their support from the campaign and end up spending most of their time, energy, and money on downticket races.

lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Immortan posted:

You're right, there are no politicians who want cheap labor or a permanent voting block. I've been owned.

That's not what I said. I said no presidential candidate has said they support open borders.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Jewel Repetition posted:

That's not what I said. I said no presidential candidate has said they support open borders.

They're not going to say that verbatim, douchebag. Given how you take everything at face value it's no wonder you're a Bernout fan.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

blackmet posted:

Bernie will win a few small primary/caucus states (VT, NH, OR, WA, maybe MN and CO) and have a few delegates, but Clinton will sweep him easily. His votes (myself included, in the primaries), will vote Hillary in the general. She's not inspiring by any means, but she is competent. And the alternatives are terrifying for everyone to the left of the Yahoo! politics boards.

2) Convention is brokered, Rubio/Cruz end up being the nominee. This makes Trump mad and he runs as an independent. Due to splitting the R vote, Hillary wins with over 400 electoral votes, pretty much effortlessly.

3) Rubio/Cruz actually beat Trump legitimately and become the nominees. Race ends up being tighter, but she still wins with basically Obama's 2012 map minus FL.

Nope. Trump wins and immediately starts to make America great again. He's going to destroy Hillary in the debates.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

eric posted:

Nope. Trump wins and immediately starts to make America great again. He's going to destroy Hillary in the debates.

agreed, he will be annihilating her on twitter while they broadcast.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

Why do so many people on the far-left have hardons for dictators? I mean I don't need an explanation for why the far-right likes them but it can be baffling in the case of some of the leftists because they're cheering on people who go against everything they stand for just because they too are willing to poo poo on "the west."

Galloway for example, he's been a supporter of LGBT rights for a long time but he goes to bat defending Iran's execution of gays of all things. He claims that they really don't do it and that all of those men who have been executed are really pedophiles. That's probably the most extreme example I can think of but I've seen other cases of leftists defending the indefensible for God knows what reason.

There's no reason that everybody who views politics as a team sport has to end up supporting conservative candidates. People can be on the right side for the wrong reasons, after all.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

MaxxBot posted:

You answered your own question.

E; Greenwald is a prime example of one of these people. Pro-read on this phenomenon: http://quillette.com/2015/12/19/glenn-greenwald-fascisms-fellow-traveller/

Immortan has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Dec 22, 2015

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Did anyone say Marco Rubio yet? Because it's going to be him.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Immortan posted:

They're not going to say that verbatim, douchebag. Given how you take everything at face value it's no wonder you're a Bernout fan.

Don't you think it's a little paranoid to believe the candidates are all hiding their intentions to open the borders?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

No one's said Rubio because he's such a narrow middle ground, where you're too reasonable to say Trump or Bernie but not reasonable enough to say Hillary.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

blackmet posted:

Hillary's a lot more vulnerable to mudslinging than Trump is, just because she's been a politician for decades and Trump hasn't. Even if you just take recent history there's so many fuckups Trump can hit her with, stretching back to Bill Clinton's administration.

There's no chance Cuckary is going to be elected president.

ehhhhhhnnnnnn
Jun 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Rubio's odds are very poor actually, are you posting from a month ago or something? An amnesty supporter is not going to win the republican nomination in 2016.

Jewel Repetition posted:

No one's said Rubio because he's such a narrow middle ground, where you're too reasonable to say Trump or Bernie but not reasonable enough to say Hillary.

Well also because he peaked a month ago and is on a solid decline at this point.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

-Troika- posted:

Hillary's a lot more vulnerable to mudslinging than Trump is, just because she's been a politician for decades and Trump hasn't. Even if you just take recent history there's so many fuckups Trump can hit her with, stretching back to Bill Clinton's administration.

She's been being hit with poo poo for 25 years. Both legitimate and not. Hillary-care, Co-commander in chief, voting for the Iraq war, one failed presidential primary campaign, Benghazi, emails, Lewinsky, being kind of a bitch, wearing ugly pantsuits...there's just not much new there. It's all been said, and she's still kicking and viable. I'm not in love with her or her policies, I will not caucus for her, but I put her MANY steps above anybody on the right wing.

Trump gives you something new and horrible to attack him with every single day. It doesn't hurt him now, but once it's more than just pandering to complete idiots, it will. I'm waiting for him to drop the N word.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Here's one area where Joementum is right, it's pretty dumb at this point to say that there's "no chance" that either the Republican or Democratic candidate can or cannot win the election. The Republican nomination isn't even decided yet and there's still almost a year ahead of us. To think that you can predict the outcome of the general with any certainty at this point is being hilariously overconfident in your abilities.

I happen to think that the Democrats have a major structural advantage and that the Republicans very well might nominate Trump or Cruz. If there are no significant world events like a recession or a major terrorist attack I think Hillary has a big upper hand, but on the other hand one of those things could happen and totally shake up the race. It's too early at this point to be very certain.

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 01:05 on Dec 23, 2015

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
trump gets the R nod, with ted cruz as his VP running mate, but his extremist policies about mexicans and lack of knowledge about foreign policy scares off WASPy christian moderate republicans and he only gets the camouflage baseball hat wearing white man vote and gets almost no latino or black votes, resulting in a lower turnout from republicans. ted cruz also creeps the hell out of everyone with his evangelical women-last policies.

hillary beats sanders simply by name, position and recognition alone rather than experience, and bernie sanders being an crabby old bald jewish guy who speaks funny. hillary names o'malley as VP so she can have a handsome tall white guy who was mayor of a largely black city to get some black votes. record turnout of women voters and latinos vote for hillary and she wins pretty handily in most if not all battleground states. something like 55-45 popular vote and 300+ electoral.

-Troika- posted:

its funny how some goons (like this guy) are so smitten with bernie sanders they can't see the forest for the trees that they would rather have hillary NOT elected than anyone else, since she's the main competition to the only candidate they actually like

gonna lol at this guy next year when hillary walks away with it

Gibberish has issued a correction as of 10:53 on Dec 23, 2015

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Lolie posted:

Hillary, but after the first black President and the first woman President failing to deliver hope and change I suspect that the Democrats will be consigned to the political wilderness for a while and a drover's dog would be able to win next time around as long as they don't have a D next to their name.

Hillary, but I'm stealing this poster's time-machine. Where/When do you live that a drover's dog is an expression that comes to mind?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

blackmet posted:

She's been being hit with poo poo for 25 years. Both legitimate and not. Hillary-care, Co-commander in chief, voting for the Iraq war, one failed presidential primary campaign, Benghazi, emails, Lewinsky, being kind of a bitch, wearing ugly pantsuits...there's just not much new there. It's all been said, and she's still kicking and viable. I'm not in love with her or her policies, I will not caucus for her, but I put her MANY steps above anybody on the right wing.

Trump gives you something new and horrible to attack him with every single day. It doesn't hurt him now, but once it's more than just pandering to complete idiots, it will. I'm waiting for him to drop the N word.

Just wait til' you see her dick.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gibberish posted:

trump gets the R nod, with ted cruz as his VP running mate, but his extremist policies about mexicans and lack of knowledge about foreign policy scares off WASPy christian moderate republicans and he only gets the camouflage baseball hat wearing white man vote and gets almost no latino or black votes, resulting in a lower turnout from republicans. ted cruz also creeps the hell out of everyone with his evangelical women-last policies.

hillary beats sanders simply by name, position and recognition alone rather than experience, and bernie sanders being an crabby old bald jewish guy who speaks funny. hillary names o'malley as VP so she can have a handsome tall white guy who was mayor of a largely black city to get some black votes. record turnout of women voters and latinos vote for hillary and she wins pretty handily in most if not all battleground states. something like 55-45 popular vote and 300+ electoral.

its funny how some goons (like this guy) are so smitten with bernie sanders they can't see the forest for the trees that they would rather have hillary NOT elected than anyone else, since she's the main competition to the only candidate they actually like

gonna lol at this guy next year when hillary walks away with it

lol at the thought of me being a supporter of any DNC canidate ever

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Bernie Sanders is going to win.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

NotWearingPants posted:

Bernie Sanders is going to win.

yeah, he's gonna win, alright. he's gonna win a one way ticket to poo poo village, population you :twisted:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hillary Clinton can't even out-fundraise an old Vermont socialist.

This election belongs to Trump, the rest of us are just living in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

zeal posted:

Hillary Clinton can't even out-fundraise an old Vermont socialist.

This election belongs to Trump, the rest of us are just living in it.

Nobody can out-fundraise an old Vermont socialist. He is breaking all of Obama's records.

When it comes to fundraising, Bernie Sanders is the Greatest Of All Time.

• Locked thread