Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Timby posted:

This is one of the most self-indulgent collection of words I've ever read. Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo you are not kidding

That Review posted:

one possible way to approach the pachydermous beast that is The Hateful Eight

And one possible way to look at Tarantino at this point is as the artistic equivalent of Carpenter’s parasite: an unscrupulous shape-shifter who will throw on any disguise that suits his purposes before moving on, leaving the host party hollowed out as he proceeds on his relentless mission of conquest.

And if, in the absence of profundity, QT offers up only heaping portions of provocation, it’s also possible that these two items can become one if mashed together hard enough—or else form some sort of flailing, half-ingenious, half-ludicrous monstrosity
There's a lot more where that came from. Looks like normal people think this movie is awesome and nerds high on their own self-perceived genius don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Timby posted:

This is one of the most self-indulgent collection of words I've ever read. Holy poo poo.

Indeed, this reviewer resides deep within the confines of his own rear end. Good Lord.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

quote:

And one possible way to look at Tarantino at this point is as the artistic equivalent of Carpenter’s parasite: an unscrupulous shape-shifter who will throw on any disguise that suits his purposes before moving on, leaving the host party hollowed out as he proceeds on his relentless mission of conquest.

what the gently caress does this even mean

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

cat doter posted:

Tarantino rapes various genres of all their good elements, leaving them hollowed out so that no one can ever make a movie in that genre again.

I guess

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I thought Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained were mediocre films.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I feel like a lot of with Tarantino movies (Kill Bill, Inglorious) he's felt more like a mash-up DJ than an auteur, but with Hateful Eight it's more of his own voice.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

blue squares posted:

Tarantino rapes various genres of all their good elements, leaving them hollowed out so that no one can ever make a movie in that genre again.

I guess

were that even true that sentence would still be loving insane

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

My mom kept saying that Hateful Eight felt like an Agatha Christie novel. Although she stopped saying that after a character was shot in his penis

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

justlikedunkirk posted:

Yeah, I've seen this twice now and it's QT's worst movie by far. I feel like with his massive success from Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained (and, I hate to say it, Sally Menke's death) he's getting more unwieldy and worse. At first I thought it was funny that he brought back the Ultra Panavision format just to shoot a chamber piece with it, but then I realized that joke gets old after 3 hours.

This is just...an ugly film. And not in a good way, either. It's as if he thinks that by making his characters so heinous it allows him to get away with so much brutality, but it doesn't. It's even worse considering there really feels like there's no point to it other than providing some cool action and violence, along with opportunities for his cast to go wild with the dialogue. In comparison to how exciting and bold Basterds and Django felt (part of that being how Tarantino told history to go gently caress itself), this just feels so...base.

And if you want to read a fantastic (and, warning, spoiler-filled) take down of the movie, I recommend reading this review.

i didnt even find the brutality the problem or even the "sucked my big black dingus" scene was ok, because the confederate was a piece of poo poo and deserved to be straight up murdered. I also didnt really have any problems with all the characters being monsters in one way or another, I mean reservoir dogs is one of my favorite movies and everyone is monster in that. but the problem i had was the twist was dumb and obvious and there was no tension. I was hoping for more of a reservoir dogs thing, where they all grow increasing paranoid and start turning on each other over racial/political/whatever issues. but instead all the people in the cabin are with the gang and then eventual they all die and jackson gets shot in the balls by some deux machina brother of daisy in the basement, who then gets the top of his head blown off after a long and dumb flashback. so yeah, not my thing. and i love his slow talky stuff too, but this wasnt even interesting. i loved Basterds and Django because you didnt know what was around the corner and who would make it out alive. in this, you knew by the half way mark.

also as much as i am not a big fan of the movie, i am sure others will like it. and that review that was posted was utter poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 23, 2015

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Just saw it and god drat, I think this might be my favorite movie of the year. I loving loved it.

Seriously, the movie was god drat great.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

zandert33 posted:

I think one of the big problems is the fact that they backload so many movies to the end of the year, so once Oscar "screeners" need to go out, they are of a bunch of movies that are either not released or still in theaters. If they spaced it out, I doubt it would be as bad as this is.

I don't know why every screener isn't a self-destructing, time-limited Vimeo link at this point, which is what I usually get for festival review screeners. You could probably still grab the video with software but I would think it'd cut down on physical copes just randomly going missing.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
I liked the movie a lot. One question: If Minnie really did hate Mexicans and didn't allow them in her haberdashery why was she so welcoming to Bob when they showed up? I guess he just introduced himself as Bob rather than Senor Bob, but isn't it obvious he's Mexican anyway?

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Is the intermission in the roadshow filled with fake trailers like Grindhouse?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

frenton posted:

I liked the movie a lot. One question: If Minnie really did hate Mexicans and didn't allow them in her haberdashery why was she so welcoming to Bob when they showed up? I guess he just introduced himself as Bob rather than Senor Bob, but isn't it obvious he's Mexican anyway?

I guess Warren was bluffing like with the Lincoln letter. I also get the impression that he was bluffing to Gen. Smithers about the fate of his son.

My impressions of the movie is it's another Tarantino movie. Some things miffed me on first watch but I'm sure I'll enjoy it more on rewatches like with all his other films.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 24, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SeANMcBAY posted:

I guess Warren was bluffing like with the Lincoln letter. I also get the impression that he was bluffing to Gen. Smithers about the fate of his son.

During the ride to Minnie's, the Sheriff talked about how alot of confederate bounty hunters tried to go after Warren, "to find fortune". The generals son died on a trip to acquire great fortune, which most likely was to catch Warren. So most likely the tale was true.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

why do people who don't like tons of verbose, playful dialogue even go see Tarantino movies at this point? like, it's 2015, we've all known for 20+ years now that this is his m.o.

The banter can be a fun spice to the rest of the movie when there's also anything else whatsoever to it. If Pulp Fiction was the Royale with Cheese chat drawn out over three hours then Marvin gets in the backseat and has his head blown off, Jackie Brown woulda been shot in Quentin's apartment with a camcorder and one actor.

cat doter posted:

That guy saw The Thing, or possibly read about it somewhere

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 25, 2015

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

During the ride to Minnie's, the Sheriff talked about how alot of confederate bounty hunters tried to go after Warren, "to find fortune". The generals son died on a trip to acquire great fortune, which most likely was to catch Warren. So most likely the tale was true.

Warren also didn't hear the general tell the sheriff about his son dying in Wyoming, so he couldn't have just made it up without knowing something beforehand.

The only word senior bob says to Minnie is his name, but it is still strange that she didn't seem to notice. That's my only complaint with the movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

empty baggie posted:

Warren also didn't hear the general tell the sheriff about his son dying in Wyoming, so he couldn't have just made it up without knowing something beforehand.

The only word senior bob says to Minnie is his name, but it is still strange that she didn't seem to notice. That's my only complaint with the movie.

Maybe Minnie just made dogs and Mexicans sleep in the barn.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 25, 2015

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Tarantino is just making movies so he can have actors say friend of the family a lot at this point. No reason for this film to be made.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Senordingdong posted:

Tarantino is just making movies so he can have actors say friend of the family a lot at this point. No reason for this film to be made.

and he made you say it!!!!! u got tarantinoed bro!!

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Senordingdong posted:

This is one of the dumbest complaints about this movie I keep seeing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It's a comment a few movies too late for to bring up.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

empty baggie posted:

This is one of the dumbest complaints about this movie I keep seeing.

Its not just about this movie. He thinks its such a naughty word that it has to be in every movie 50 times whenever there is a black character these days.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Man, I am pretty excited to see this.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Senordingdong posted:

Its not just about this movie. He thinks its such a naughty word that it has to be in every movie 50 times whenever there is a black character these days.

Senordingdong
gnodgnidroneS
niggerS

COINCIDENCE???

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Just got back from the road show version. I enjoyed it a lot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Senordingdong posted:

is there some other reason to make movies?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just got home from seeing it in 70mm. I loved it! The thing that stood out most to me was how much it was this:

h_double posted:

A lot of it does feel a lot like a stage play -- and one that's more of a sardonic character study, rather than a tense whodunit (which is why I don't think "Western Reservoir Dogs" is a perfect analogy). At times it's got kind of a leisurely pace, but there's some lovely camera work and Morricone score (and some highly entertaining swagger brought by Russell, Jackson, and Goggins) to linger over in the process.
I could easily see this being presented on the stage. It very much has that structure. And the dialogue and humor are very much textbook Tarantino, but I feel like they could still transition seamlessly to the stage. I'm honestly not a fan of the vast majority of Westerns, but this sort of structure along with the the rapid-fire yet intelligent dialogue and humor made it a great experience overall.

Yeah, yeah. The n-word is uttered a lot. Well you know what? That's how many white people spoke in the 1800s when the movie is set. That doesn't make using the word the right thing to do, but Tarantino made this thing period-appropriate, and it's not like the actors themselves are racist for uttering period-appropriate dialogue when playing a role in a movie. Plus, Samuel L. Jackson's character completely loving annihilates several people and is one of the only 2 surviving characters at the end of the movie, so calling this movie racist seems to be missing the loving point.

Also, this thing is gory as hell. I mean, many of the gory moments happen in quick bursts, but still. If you're squeamish, I'd stay away from this.

And if you're wondering if anything happens during the 70mm version's intermission, nothing does.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 25, 2015

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What exactly did Samuel L Jackson call Daisy Domergue, something something sack shooter?"

SnakesandScorpions
Apr 4, 2015
Just got back from the Road Show as well and enjoyed it immensely. This is a methodical movie and pays homage to John Carpenter's The Thing, Hang Em High, and oddly enough Tombstone. If you don't like slow burn movies I would suggest to go see something else. Otherwise, the people who put patience into this film will be rewarded with some great dialogue, beautiful cinematography, and some choice scenes that will stick with you as you leave the theater.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Question for y'all who saw the roadshow version: Did you get your collectible program? Because I sure didn't :smith:

Almost everyone in my theater seemed to have one, but I didn't get one. I don't even know where I would've gotten one. The ticket ripper wasn't handing them out, and there wasn't someone handing them out at the entrance to the theater either. And I got to the theater half an hour early, so if it was a "while supplies last" type deal, I don't think I would've missed it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

They had them at guest services. I asked someone in the theater who had one. They weren't handing them out to people. You had to know about it and basically ask where they were at my theater.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
With Tarantino I avoid the marketing as best I can because I don't need to be sold. All I could tell from the stills I couldn't avoid was that there were obvious visual allusions to The Great Silence, and it turns out the story itself is definitely cut from the same bleak cloth as well. The first half is buildup that feels just a little awkward but by the time the intermission hits and afterward, it's all justified by rich, diverse interplay between a delectable tapestry of undignified characters.

From the first shot QT/Robert Richardson convincingly made their case for 70mm presentation in the 21st century. From breathtaking snowy vistas to wide interiors speckled with action about the frame, it's really a stupendous piece of photography. Ennio Morricone killed it on the score.

I'm really high on this flick right now.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Zotix posted:

What exactly did Samuel L Jackson call Daisy Domergue, something something sack shooter?"

bushwhacking iirc

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Samuel L. Jackson's character completely loving annihilates several people and is one of the only 2 surviving characters at the end of the movie, so calling this movie racist seems to be missing the loving point.

He also befriends another character who is just as racist as him.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
I think Tarantino did great to produce a layered story while keeping it confined to a little shack. Each character had a story and the build-up to figuring out exactly what sides people were on was great. First half was a murder mystery, the second half a bloodbath. No complaints at all.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

How is Sam Jackson's character racist?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope Tarantino's next movie has Christoph Waltz and Tim Roth charming poo poo up together.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope Tarantino's next movie has Christoph Waltz and Tim Roth charming poo poo up together.
I honestly thought Tim Roth was Christoph Waltz at first. It took me a little while to remember that nope, actually that's Tim Roth. But hell yeah, I hope so too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I liked how Tim Roth's English accent turned from Dr. Who to Guy Ritchie when nobody was around. 70MM somewhat wasted by all the indoor shots, but a beautiful movie. Goggins is great I just hope he isn't typecasted. He's played essentially the same wordy rear end in a top hat racist on his last three outings, I think. Russell is awesome in this and still sells being a dangerous badass despite his age (something that took me out of the new Star Wars with a positively geriatric Harrison Ford).

Also you should've gotten like Sam Elliot to narrate, not Tarantino himself.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 25, 2015

• Locked thread