Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

You choose your facts, I'll choose mine. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

So am I literally the only one here who went to a screening where the 70mm didn't work?

On the one hand I guess it's a good success rate but drat I had the worst luck.

I heard rumors that where you went to see it (Lincoln in NYC, right?) was aware that 70mm wasn't working days ago, if it ever worked, and was still selling tickets.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

monster on a stick posted:

I heard rumors that where you went to see it (Lincoln in NYC, right?) was aware that 70mm wasn't working days ago, if it ever worked, and was still selling tickets.

I'm in KC, the Town Center AMC multiplex (which is amusingly right next to AMC corporate headquarters.)

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

70mm worked flawlessly for me at the stadium in south Denver. I really liked that it was in film digital can look too clean for a movie like this.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

monster on a stick posted:

I saw it there. That wouldn't surprise me one bit, these big chain theaters.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
I just came back and thought it was a beautiful movie that being shot and projected on film helped immensely especially because of the extra dynamic range. The snow and the shadows had so much texture in them it was really amazing to see. As for the movie, I felt that there was way to much exposition in the first half that made the pacing feel really sluggish, but I enjoyed it overall.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Heading to a 70mm screening when it comes to the UK in early Jan but currently have an ear infection which is affecting my hearing. Do you think I'll have major trouble understanding a lot of what's being said? I was mostly fine with SW but this is clearly far wordier and with much stronger accents. I would go to a subtitled screening but I can't miss dat 70mm.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LionYeti posted:

70mm worked flawlessly for me at the stadium in south Denver. I really liked that it was in film digital can look too clean for a movie like this.

I was here too and it worked pretty well.
Although it looked like the screen was on a slant post intermission, but I could've been wrong.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I just saw it in MN and for it looked really soft but there were no other issues.

I feel that my opinion of a movie is strongest when the credits roll, and again a week after when I can reflect on it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Saw the Roadshow cut in Miami and the 70mm worked perfectly. Overall experience was great, with lots of surprises since I went in completely unspoiled.

Also I feel like some of you need to look into nervous laughter... QT clearly knows what he's doing with his brand of storytelling and revels in playing his audiences. Some people just need to laugh more than others to deal with the tension and horror.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chantilly Say posted:

It depends on what's funny: is it the rape or the guy who keeps spinning out a completely unrealistic and ludicrous story and going further over the top when he doesn't get the response he wants?

I kind thought he might not be lying, I can totally believe that the son bragged about how he was the generals son and how he loved killing blacks and how he was gonna get that bounty when he thought he had Warren "cornered" then when Warren slaughters all his dumb friends, he shits himselfs and starts begging, but because he said all that poo poo before, he gets to meet Mr. BIG BLACK DINGUS. then probably a bullet in the head or balls. plus the general deserved to hear that story and be murdered.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
is this the movie where the guy gets raped by the bear

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
No you're thinking of Grizzly Man.

This is the movie where and ex-confederate may or may not have been raped by an black ex-union bounty hunter.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I kind thought he might not be lying, I can totally believe that the son bragged about how he was the generals son and how he loved killing blacks and how he was gonna get that bounty when he thought he had Warren "cornered" then when Warren slaughters all his dumb friends, he shits himselfs and starts begging, but because he said all that poo poo before, he gets to meet Mr. BIG BLACK DINGUS. then probably a bullet in the head or balls. plus the general deserved to hear that story and be murdered.

I think he was lying about the big black dingus part, purely because Goggins was bang on the money with every other lie he called out.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The whole seen is shot in a much more dreamy, over the top and fantastical way than the rest of the film up to that point too. It is indicated just by the way it's cut together that it's not something that happened but rather the pictures being forced in the old man's head. Still, it is left up to the audience whether it actually happened.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
"Starting to see pictures, ain't ya?" Asked the smiling black ex-union major.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

is this the movie where the guy gets raped by the bear

i want to know if he actually gets raped by a bear in the revenant becaues i literally won't see it if it that happens

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I can't read it as anything else. Remember, with that one exception at the end of the movie he always prefers to shoot people and not give desperate people chances to be dangerous. And what he describes doing is so incredibly twisted and outlandish that I just can't see it actually happening.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Chantilly Say posted:

I can't read it as anything else. Remember, with that one exception at the end of the movie he always prefers to shoot people and not give desperate people chances to be dangerous. And what he describes doing is so incredibly twisted and outlandish that I just can't see it actually happening.

On the one hand he was the son of a man that murdered captured black soldiers. He would have a reason to go above and beyond. On the other hand, he is quite happy just simply shooting the man himself. Really I'd say there's a chance he never even met the son if it weren't for the fact that I think he was still outside when the old man told the sheriff why he was there.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
People are actually getting upset at others for laughing at any scene in this movie? Every single offensive scene was meant to be funny, often evidenced by the dialogue and presentation surrounding the event. If you are willingly sitting in a Tarantino movie, and having your moral sensibilities offended by the laughter of the audience, you are probably an insufferable social justice warrior.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Megasabin posted:

People are actually getting upset at others for laughing at any scene in this movie? Every single offensive scene was meant to be funny, often evidenced by the dialogue and presentation surrounding the event. If you are willingly sitting in a Tarantino movie, and having your moral sensibilities offended by the laughter of the audience, you are probably an insufferable social justice warrior.

Right; you may also of course be a unicorn, or frumious bandersnatch, or some other such thing.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Megasabin posted:

you are probably an insufferable social justice warrior.

Lol at anyone who unironically calls people SJWs calling anyone else insufferable.

It's pretty bizarre to me that "scene is intended to be offensive and funny" means you can't be offended by it or offended by people laughing at it. Like you're not allowed to have opinions outside of the intent of the creator. Do you police peoples' opinions on everything or just on art you like?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Lol at anyone who unironically calls people SJWs calling anyone else insufferable.

It's pretty bizarre to me that "scene is intended to be offensive and funny" means you can't be offended by it or offended by people laughing at it. Like you're not allowed to have opinions outside of the intent of the creator. Do you police peoples' opinions on everything or just on art you like?

I guess that term is uncool now. I'm not policing anyone's opinion. I just saying that if you willingly go to a movie by a director who is known for being over the top and offensive in his humor, and then sit there judging others for finding it funny, you sound like an annoying person. You are welcome to find something offensive, but once you start looking down on your fellow audience members for laughing, you seem pretty lovely to me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
"YOU PEOPLE ARE SOCIOPATHS FOR LAUGHING AT A FUNNY MOVIE"

"YOU'RE OFFENDING ME BY LAUGHING AT SOMETHING"

Give me a loving break guys. You can be offended by things all you want, and I'm going to laugh at how petty and ridiculous you are. As others have said, you are knowingly watching Tarantino, you know what you're getting yourself into, if you don't like it, you should probably stop watching his films.

I think this movie actually handled race in a much more interesting way than Django, which seemed to make the singular point of "white people are racists, and it's funny when the black man shoots them". The most interesting dynamic between the characters was when you found out how racist Minnie was towards Mexicans. It made it a much more dynamic issue than the one note topic Django presented race as.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 27, 2015

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

Right; you may also of course be a unicorn, or frumious bandersnatch, or some other such thing.

People getting mad at SJW is loving hilarious, it's like getting mad at the word MRA.

It's saying something that films that are designed to make you feel mixed emotions: joy and discomfort at that joy, are the one's certain people feel free to patronize along with it's audience despite the fact it's a lot "harder" and takes more self awareness to watch those films in the first place. People pretend to want complex films until they actually have to watch them, and deal the introspection that comes with them to make them question why they were laughing at the things they were laughing at.

As for Warren raping Gen. Smiths son, I take that as a given because at the end of the film he's literally castrated and everyone else who's sinned reached similar ironic fates

Bottom Liner posted:

I think this movie actually handled race in a much more interesting way than Django, which seemed to make the singular point of "white people are racists, and it's funny when the black man shoots them". The most interesting dynamic between the characters was when you found out how racist Minnie was towards Mexicans. It made it a much more dynamic issue than the one note topic Django presented race as.

More importantly men like Ruth used the term friend of the family and have racist stereotypes/beliefs that are depicted an extremely negative manner not a "ha ha, I'm friends with a black man and it's a lot different when the Racists do it" while not lingering on it. It's makes Warren's speech and actions a lot more understandable and sympathetic.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 27, 2015

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
It's fine to laugh at this movie, and I doubt anyone in here doesn't recognize nervous laughter. But I can like the movie (and laugh at its jokes) while being uncomfortable by the group of dudes behind me guffawing EVERY time someone says bitch or friend of the family. There's no hypocrisy in finding Tarantino's movies funny or interesting while simultaneously wishing some of his fans wouldn't be so gleeful in their onscreen wish fulfillment.

I guess it's also fine to be obtuse and rage about internet boogeymen or whatever.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Naet posted:

It's fine to laugh at this movie, and I doubt anyone in here doesn't recognize nervous laughter. But I can like the movie (and laugh at its jokes) while being uncomfortable by the group of dudes behind me guffawing EVERY time someone says bitch or friend of the family. There's no hypocrisy in finding Tarantino's movies funny or interesting while simultaneously wishing some of his fans wouldn't be so gleeful in their onscreen wish fulfillment.

I guess it's also fine to be obtuse and rage about internet boogeymen or whatever.

The idea that you know what is in people's hearts and minds about WHY they are laughing at scenes that are entirely designed in most cases to elicit laughter, while simultaneously causing some level of discomfort in the audience is actually very hypocritical or at least arrogant as hell. I think it's more than fair to give the people around you a fair shake, considering you give yourself one.

Also the only people raging about internet boogeymen are you.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I can confirm from living in the south for a time that there are indeed lovely people who laugh at the word friend of the family because they are lovely poo poo people.

And not because they are being intellectually challenged by transgressive art.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

NutritiousSnack posted:

The idea that you know what is in people's hearts and minds about WHY they are laughing at scenes that are entirely designed in most cases to elicit laughter, while simultaneously causing some level of discomfort in the audience is actually very hypocritical or at least arrogant as hell. I think it's more than fair to give the people around you a fair shake, considering you give yourself one.

Also the only people raging about internet boogeymen are you.

:confused: I just voiced an opinion and other people jumped to some strange SJW crusade bullshit. I'm explicitly admitting to being uncomfortable by this movie and its audience while enjoying it, and questioning what that means.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
I think that if people are uncomfortable with other's reaction to a piece of work, that's totally okay imo. It's just as okay as that same original reaction. They're not being an SJW or anything, they're just having a hard time mixing their reactions (horror, disgust) with others (outright laughter). I knew a guy who literally laughed through most of The Serbian Film, nicest guy you could meet otherwise but he found that sort of poo poo in film just hysterical. Made me incredibly uncomfortable, but that was the way he took that movie.

I was mostly just horrified at the scene we're talking about but there was a group 2 rows above me that found it hilarious (only people in the theater who reacted that way in my showing). I can see why they found it funny, because the scene was ridiculous, but to me that only added to how grotesque the whole thing was.

also stop loving bringing up authorial intent, jfc that's disingenuous and boring as hell

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jean Eric Burn posted:

I can confirm from living in the south for a time that there are indeed lovely people who laugh at the word friend of the family because they are lovely poo poo people.

I live in the south and saw Hateful Eight in the south and no one laughed at the word in my showing, FWIW v:shobon:v

But I'm sure it happens.

oswald ownenstein posted:

i want to know if he actually gets raped by a bear in the revenant becaues i literally won't see it if it that happens
He does not. The bear fucks him up good, but does not gently caress him good.

ParanoidInc posted:

I think that if people are uncomfortable with other's reaction to a piece of work, that's totally okay imo. It's just as okay as that same original reaction. They're not being an SJW or anything, they're just having a hard time mixing their reactions (horror, disgust) with others (outright laughter). I knew a guy who literally laughed through most of The Serbian Film, nicest guy you could meet otherwise but he found that sort of poo poo in film just hysterical. Made me incredibly uncomfortable, but that was the way he took that movie.
I laughed through all of Serbian Film too, but it was more like nervous laughter because I couldn't believe the poo poo I was seeing.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Naet posted:

:confused: I just voiced an opinion and other people jumped to some strange SJW crusade bullshit. I'm explicitly admitting to being uncomfortable by this movie and its audience while enjoying it, and questioning what that means.

To be honest I thought your posts were very well worded, and it was clear that you were exploring your own feelings towards other reactions. My post was in regards to others comments (here and elsewhere) that were much more black and white about anyone who laughed at scenes they found offensive.

Also I'm clearly behind on acceptable internet lingo because I had no idea people took exception with the term social justice warrior. I would edit it just to say "people who are purposefully looking to pick a fight regarding any non-PC issue", but at this point it's too late.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ParanoidInc posted:

also stop loving bringing up authorial intent, jfc that's disingenuous and boring as hell

Doesn't that depend on what question you're asking? Some questions about movies care about intent, some care about death of the author. I don't think it helps to act like everybody finds one interesting and the other boring.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe

Chantilly Say posted:

Doesn't that depend on what question you're asking? Some questions about movies care about intent, some care about death of the author. I don't think it helps to act like everybody finds one interesting and the other boring.

this is true, you're right. in terms of scene construction and why certain things are done a certain way, yeah, intent matters a ton. I'm being just like the people who do bring up "BUT INTENT" every time I bring up "BUT DEATH"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ParanoidInc posted:

I was mostly just horrified at the scene we're talking about but there was a group 2 rows above me that found it hilarious (only people in the theater who reacted that way in my showing). I can see why they found it funny, because the scene was ridiculous, but to me that only added to how grotesque the whole thing was.

you're the weirdo watching A Serbian Film with friends I don't think you get to judge anyone

Lemon
May 22, 2003

The only time I laughed out loud during the film was when Senor Bob's face got obliterated. I haven't been shocked into laughter like that by a film for a while.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

No but it looks like it

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

you're the weirdo watching A Serbian Film with friends I don't think you get to judge anyone

it was college and I made a lot of bad choices

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NutritiousSnack posted:

The idea that you know what is in people's hearts and minds about WHY they are laughing at scenes that are entirely designed in most cases to elicit laughter, while simultaneously causing some level of discomfort in the audience is actually very hypocritical or at least arrogant as hell.

This post is far too generous about the vast majority of moviegoers

Jean Eric Burn posted:

This one is pretty much spot-on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Where did this idea come from? I know about the press release but why, God, why did anyone ever think that, much less talk about it to someone else?

• Locked thread