Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

FirstPlayer posted:

Apparently there's nothing funnier to the people in the audience with me than graphic violence and rape. I get that it's a Tarantino movie, I just wasn't feeling the gut-busting uproarious guffaws that a lot of the theater was doing during the latter. :/

:wtc:

My theater was dead silent during that part at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
maybe you were just there on psychopath day

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

My theater thought it was hilarious every time Daisy got hit, even though none of those scenes seemed funny to me. (Though I admit that I laughed a lot when she got knocked out of the carriage, taking the bounty hunter with her.)

Though hey, I was the only person laughing in the theater when I watched Inglourious Basterds. Maybe we're all sociopaths in our own special ways.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I loved Pulp Fiction, IB, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill and Django - is this one pretty good too?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

oswald ownenstein posted:

I loved Pulp Fiction, IB, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill and Django - is this one pretty good too?

What's your opinion on Reservoir Dogs?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I mean yeah, if you enjoyed all of those then you're pretty much guaranteed to enjoy this one too. Tarantino's done it again.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Sarchasm posted:

What's your opinion on Reservoir Dogs?

Personally felt it was the weakest, although it was the third movie of his that I watched. I mean it wasn't bad I just don't find myself enjoying it like I do the others on repeat watches

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I mean yeah, if you enjoyed all of those then you're pretty much guaranteed to enjoy this one too. Tarantino's done it again.

I loved those and didn't really like this.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Personally felt it was the weakest, although it was the third movie of his that I watched. I mean it wasn't bad I just don't find myself enjoying it like I do the others on repeat watches

I feel like Reservoir Dogs is closest to The Hateful Eight in tone and theme, so you might want to keep that in mind when you're setting your expectations.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

if you think tarantino's ear for dialogue is good and you don't mind long scenes of it, you'll probably like it

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
to chime in, I actually really dislike RD compared to the rest of his work and I loved this

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

drat, this film did not disappoint.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Saw a late Christmas Day showing and we were screwed- there was some problem in projection so we didn't get 70mm like we paid for, but a digital screening. Eventually the AMC guys gave us passes and it was still the roadshow cut with the program and intermission and so on, but they had to gently caress up this once-in-a-goddamn-blue-moon event didn't they?

The movie itself I like. It's one of the most nihilistic things QT has ever done and the sheer nastiness is at times overwhelming, but it's also very effective and I want to see it a second time at some point to catch everything I missed. Morricone's score is great.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I almost think QT usrs friend of the family a lot so you can see how many people are racist. Being in Oklahoma, its really high. Basically there was a laugh every time someone said it. Although about half the time, its a funny line anyway. Maybe it was nervous laughter. I didnt like the thing with the generals son. Score was fantastic for sure. I wish it was a little more of a mystery.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
I'm surprised how little I've read about JJL and what she endures in this movie. That's gonna push a lot of buttons.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
The basic message I got from this film is that the only thing more powerful than racism is misogyny.

A+

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Saw the movie in 70mm last night. Really liked it, the characters were all great, and my whole theater laughed a lot (we're not psychos, it was clearly intended to have a lot of funny moments because of the sheer ridiculousness of it). The standout performances were Daisy and the guy from Justified that played the supposed sheriff.

One major criticism though; does anyone else feel like the 70mm format was wasted by this film? The vast majority of the movie was close up dialogue shots in either the carriage or haberdashery. I wanted to see more sweeping landscapes, more exteriors shots like the woods with the snow falling. Some of the interior shots did look fantastic, with the bright light pouring in from above (which didn't make sense in a blizzard...), but 95% of the film was just face shots and long dialogue. It was really cool to see it in 70mm, but I still feel like any number of movies would have made better use of this format than The Hateful Eight did.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 27, 2015

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Just saw the Roadshow release in Cleveland(At Valley View Cinemark). Nothing went wrong with the film, we got our programs when our tickets were torn, no previews were shown, the overture and intermission were great. Any other thoughts on the movie aside, the overall experience of seeing the "Roadshow" release was really top notch and I hope some other movies take this direction occasionally.

Overall I liked the movie. It really felt like it built up nicely over time, and things definitely felt ready to go off after the first act. I won't go much into the plot, but I'll throw out my thoughts on the shocking parts of the film. The heavy use of the n-word did feel a little excessive. I assume it's intentional but, it was weird that so many of the characters were concerned about it being right to hang a woman or not, but didn't seem to care at all about the constant beating she received. I also felt like there was intentional humor in the description of the Major forcing the General's son to suck his dick. Especially with all the plethora of terms for dick in the shot. I don't think it's supposed to be laugh out loud funny, but definitely felt like it was meant for you to shift back and forth between shock and nervous laughter. I feel like most of the movie is like that, trying to get you to chuckle during some downright terrible things.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 27, 2015

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So who's excited for this? Are you going to catch the 70mm version if it's playing near you, or if it isn't, are you going to take a road trip to go see it at the nearest 70mm-equipped theater? Do you have your ticket yet?
That's what myself and 3 friends are doing at this exact moment. Just crossed the border of Minnesota, going to the AMC Southdale in Edina. I missed the theatricals of The 6th and 7th Films by Quentin Tarantino (as well as PTA's The Master 70mm screening,) so this should make up for lost time.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

GOGGINS.

For some reason my friends and I ended up watching What we Do in the Shadows afterwards and man, Christmas 2015 will from now on be referred to as Blood Puke Christmas.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

wilderthanmild posted:

I also felt like there was intentional humor in the description of the Major forcing the General's son to suck his dick. Especially with all the plethora of terms for dick in the shot. I don't think it's supposed to be laugh out loud funny, but definitely felt like it was meant for you to shift back and forth between shock and nervous laughter.

This scene was obviously Jackson's character wildly exaggerating what happened in the most over the top way possible in order to bait the General into going for the gun. It's funny because the scene before Jackson's character admitted that the Lincoln letter was faked, hence establishing the character's propensity for lying in order to get what he wants. People being offended by "making jokes about rape" missed this point entirely.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel some of the criticisms of laughter are a little harsh. This movie does treat many horrible things in a comical way. I mean, they are supposed to be horrible and not laughed at but they are often set up like jokes where the punchline is extreme discomfort. The constant beating on Daisy and her increasingly wrecked face is constantly filmed like a punchline and setup like a running joke but it's just horrific in the end and is not helped by the fact we never actually know what she's actually done. I feel it's okay to laugh because that's a normal reaction to discomfort and the movie seems to revel in that.

Also the first use of the N word is totally comedic. The scene leading up to it is two characters being extremely formal while being extremely hostile and the sudden n word plays well off if that. In general the movie uses the word oddly well, using it to say a great deal about the characters.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

centaurtainment posted:

This scene was obviously Jackson's character wildly exaggerating what happened in the most over the top way possible in order to bait the General into going for the gun. It's funny because the scene before Jackson's character admitted that the Lincoln letter was faked, hence establishing the character's propensity for lying in order to get what he wants. People being offended by "making jokes about rape" missed this point entirely.

I'm really not sure how it can't be there to establish his character and be an offensively comedic scene depicting rape. Someone can get "the point" and still take issue with the way it is depicted. These are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Just got back. Really liked it, although because it's so nasty and nihilistic (I say that in a good way) and lacks the cathartic feeling of Basterds and Django, I won't re-watch it as often as I do those or Pulp Fiction. Loved the slow burn of the first half and then the descent into madness that came after the intermission. It's probably also the coldest feeling film after The Thing (lots of other parallels with that one too), and the landscape shots in the beginning did a great job of establishing how isolated the Haberdashery is.

Got a program, woohoo!

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I'm really not sure how it can't be there to establish his character and be an offensively comedic scene depicting rape. Someone can get "the point" and still take issue with the way it is depicted. These are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Obviously being offended is a matter of opinion, but in this case Jackson's character chose the topic with the express purpose of being offensive. Sure, the scene humorous in the way it's portrayed (mostly given the way the dialogue is written), but within the context of the story it's meant to be so offensive that it drives another character to murder.

You can be offended, but it would be taking the scene out of context. Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

centaurtainment posted:

Obviously being offended is a matter of opinion, but in this case Jackson's character chose the topic with the express purpose of being offensive. Sure, the scene humorous in the way it's portrayed (mostly given the way the dialogue is written), but within the context of the story it's meant to be so offensive that it drives another character to murder.

You can be offended, but it would be taking the scene out of context. Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

And the scene could have easily been done with just him telling it and without the cutaways to actually show it happening. Saying you need to take the scene out of context to be offended by it is ridiculous.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I want to point out that I thought the movie had good comedic chops to it, but that my beef was with which of those beats got laughs (and how hard) in my theater. I totally get the dark comedy and humor in discomfort angle, but people were on the verge of pissing themselves with laughter.

edit: I ain't the laugh police or nothing, and your viewings may have been wildly different.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

And the scene could have easily been done with just him telling it and without the cutaways to actually show it happening.

I find your suggestion that an artist should change their art to satisfy the feelings of others offensive.

EDIT: Alright, that's probably an unnecessarily smart-rear end thing to say, but still, I think being offended by Tarantino movies hasn't been legitimate since 1995. If you still go to his movies, you know what's up. It's not to the same level, but it's like going into your fourth John Waters movie expecting a John Hughes movie.

centaurtainment fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 27, 2015

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I found the description of the rape pretty funny mostly because of how much Warren was enjoying himself as he told the tale. It is entertaining for me to watch a black dude one-up an old white racist, and in doing so, fulfill his life's work.

Audiences enjoy watching characters who are good at what they do, and are amused by characters who take glee in what they do--especially if it's something unusual.

Edit: you're probably meant to feel uncomfortable as a result of enjoying it--much like the hanging scene at the end. They are loving it, but we feel uncomfortable (and should) even though it's hard not to get caught up in their charisma.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 27, 2015

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Captain Magic posted:

I found the description of the rape pretty funny mostly because of how much Warren was enjoying himself as he told the tale. It is entertaining for me to watch a black dude one-up an old white racist, and in doing so, fulfill his life's work.

Audiences enjoy watching characters who are good at what they do, and are amused by characters who take glee in what they do--especially if it's something unusual.

A lot of which was in the editing. Cutting between him laughing in the "flashback" and in Minnie's was expertly done, just like when his dialogue is slowed down later in the film.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

And the scene could have easily been done with just him telling it and without the cutaways to actually show it happening. Saying you need to take the scene out of context to be offended by it is ridiculous.

The intentional overlap of the old man's eyes and the flashback playing out was pretty brilliant, imo. As comedic as the entire scene is (purposefully or not), that moment drives home the fury building up in the old man's soul.

The scene could not have "easily" been done with simple dialogue. Just because you're offended by something doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It depends on what's funny: is it the rape or the guy who keeps spinning out a completely unrealistic and ludicrous story and going further over the top when he doesn't get the response he wants?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FirstPlayer posted:

Apparently there's nothing funnier to the people in the audience with me than graphic violence and rape. I get that it's a Tarantino movie, I just wasn't feeling the gut-busting uproarious guffaws that a lot of the theater was doing during the latter. :/

Did you just watch this in Seattle? The guy next to me laughed way too loud at any violence, friend of the family, and scene change :wtc:, really, really loud. It felt like a lot of our audience picked up laughing too much, especially the latter.

Even with that asshat, I thought the movie was pretty great.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The thing I'm second-guessing myself about is laughing when Tim Roth said the n-word with his posh as gently caress accent just because it sounded funny.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

centaurtainment posted:

I find your suggestion that an artist should change their art to satisfy the feelings of others offensive.

EDIT: Alright, that's probably an unnecessarily smart-rear end thing to say, but still, I think being offended by Tarantino movies hasn't been legitimate since 1995. If you still go to his movies, you know what's up. It's not to the same level, but it's like going into your fourth John Waters movie expecting a John Hughes movie.

Pretty sure nobody said he should change it, just that it seemed weird how hard some people were laughing during the scene.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It was completely over the top ridiculous and Sam Jackson's delivery of it made it hilarious. Though for my money, Walton Goggins lines gave me the hardest laughs throughout. "I FUCKIN' KNEW IT! OOOOOOOH YOU GON DIE NOW YOU MURDERIN BASTARD."

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 27, 2015

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

FirstPlayer posted:

Pretty sure nobody said he should change it, just that it seemed weird how hard some people were laughing during the scene.

And the scene could have easily been done with just him telling it and without the cutaways to actually show it happening.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So am I literally the only one here who went to a screening where the 70mm didn't work?

On the one hand I guess it's a good success rate but drat I had the worst luck.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Maxwell Lord posted:

So am I literally the only one here who went to a screening where the 70mm didn't work?

On the one hand I guess it's a good success rate but drat I had the worst luck.

The 70mm at mine didn't work. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

film is so much better than digital, right fellas?

• Locked thread