Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
this movie was insanely nihilistic politically and the whole 2nd half was essentially a horror film

best loving thing tarantino's ever done

edit: also reading this thread I don't get people saying there was "a twist", like yeah showing that everyone in the cabin was in cahoots to free Daisy could be considered a twist but it was so incredibly foreshadowed that they were all sick sons of bitches who were ready to kill it didn't come off like it was intended to be a real surprise, other than channing tatum being in the basement ready to blow up samuel l jackson's junk. the 2nd half tone shift was incredible, even Bruce Dern's death at the end of the 1st half was practically bloodless and then as soon as Kurt Russel drinks that coffee it's just a sprint to the hateful, sadistic bottom, with the "good guys" simply being the ones with the most deserving blood on their hands

ParanoidInc fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe
to chime in, I actually really dislike RD compared to the rest of his work and I loved this

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think that if people are uncomfortable with other's reaction to a piece of work, that's totally okay imo. It's just as okay as that same original reaction. They're not being an SJW or anything, they're just having a hard time mixing their reactions (horror, disgust) with others (outright laughter). I knew a guy who literally laughed through most of The Serbian Film, nicest guy you could meet otherwise but he found that sort of poo poo in film just hysterical. Made me incredibly uncomfortable, but that was the way he took that movie.

I was mostly just horrified at the scene we're talking about but there was a group 2 rows above me that found it hilarious (only people in the theater who reacted that way in my showing). I can see why they found it funny, because the scene was ridiculous, but to me that only added to how grotesque the whole thing was.

also stop loving bringing up authorial intent, jfc that's disingenuous and boring as hell

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe

Chantilly Say posted:

Doesn't that depend on what question you're asking? Some questions about movies care about intent, some care about death of the author. I don't think it helps to act like everybody finds one interesting and the other boring.

this is true, you're right. in terms of scene construction and why certain things are done a certain way, yeah, intent matters a ton. I'm being just like the people who do bring up "BUT INTENT" every time I bring up "BUT DEATH"

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

you're the weirdo watching A Serbian Film with friends I don't think you get to judge anyone

it was college and I made a lot of bad choices

• Locked thread