Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

why do people who don't like tons of verbose, playful dialogue even go see Tarantino movies at this point? like, it's 2015, we've all known for 20+ years now that this is his m.o.

The banter can be a fun spice to the rest of the movie when there's also anything else whatsoever to it. If Pulp Fiction was the Royale with Cheese chat drawn out over three hours then Marvin gets in the backseat and has his head blown off, Jackie Brown woulda been shot in Quentin's apartment with a camcorder and one actor.

cat doter posted:

what the gently caress does this even mean

That guy saw The Thing, or possibly read about it somewhere

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Zotix posted:

What exactly did Samuel L Jackson call Daisy Domergue, something something sack shooter?"

bushwhacking iirc

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ParanoidInc posted:

I think that if people are uncomfortable with other's reaction to a piece of work, that's totally okay imo. It's just as okay as that same original reaction. They're not being an SJW or anything, they're just having a hard time mixing their reactions (horror, disgust) with others (outright laughter). I knew a guy who literally laughed through most of The Serbian Film, nicest guy you could meet otherwise but he found that sort of poo poo in film just hysterical. Made me incredibly uncomfortable, but that was the way he took that movie.

I was mostly just horrified at the scene we're talking about but there was a group 2 rows above me that found it hilarious (only people in the theater who reacted that way in my showing). I can see why they found it funny, because the scene was ridiculous, but to me that only added to how grotesque the whole thing was.

also stop loving bringing up authorial intent, jfc that's disingenuous and boring as hell

you're the weirdo watching A Serbian Film with friends I don't think you get to judge anyone

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

oswald ownenstein posted:

i want to know if he actually gets raped by a bear in the revenant becaues i literally won't see it if it that happens

it's a recurring theme in the film and sort of symbolizes Hugh Glass's emotional state while he's dragging himself through the woods all alone, though I gotta say I was blown away by the dream sequence towards the end where the bear shows up and asks him "You don't really come here for the hunting, do you?"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jean Eric Burn posted:

The person I saw this with was actually really confused about the whole social standing of bounty hunters, which to be fair was only something I knew about from other pop culture things I guess. I don't think I was taught in school or anything about how they were just a few rungs down from sheriffs.

...they weren't?

The guys in the movies aren't deputized law enforcement, they're a pseudo-criminal class of hitmen preying on outlaws, i.e. people everyone is officially invited to murder without consequence, which isn't a thing any modern legal system does. They're the social equivalent of the wino pushing around a shopping cart of empty cans, only the cans are people.

I woulda really liked Hateful Eight if they were winos and Daisy was a trash bag full of ten-centers bound for the recycling center

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 30, 2015

• Locked thread