Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Hateful Eight is Quentin Tarantino's 8th film and revolves around bounty hunters in post-Civil War Wyoming.

Since it's a Tarantino film, of course it has a loving all-star cast, including:
  • Kurt Russell
  • Samuel L. Jackson
  • Jennifer Jason Leigh
  • Walton Goggins
  • Michael Madsen
  • Channing Tatum
  • Tim Roth
  • Zoe Bell
  • Bruce Dern

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_UI1GzaWv0

:siren: The Hateful Eight will be the first widely-released theatrical film shot in Ultra Panavision 70mm format since 1966. :siren:

Since this is the way the film was shot and the first release of this kind in almost 50 years, 70mm is going to be the way you'll want to experience the film if you can. 100 theaters across the US will start showing this in 70mm on Christmas Day for a 1-week roadshow.

The following markets will have 70mm screenings:

quote:

New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, San Francisco, Boston, Atlanta, Washington DC, Houston, Detroit, Phoenix, Seattle, Tampa, Minneapolis, Denver, Miami, Cleveland, Orlando, Sacramento, St. Louis, Portland, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Baltimore, San Diego, Nashville, Kansas City, San Antonio, West Palm Beach, Birmingham, Las Vegas, Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, Austin, New Orleans, Providence, Knoxville, Santa Barbara, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver.
To check showtimes, go to the film's official website or a third-party ticket buying site like Fandango if your theater supports it in case showtimes aren't displayed on the film's website.

Furthermore, the 70mm roadshow version of the film is an extended cut, running at 3 hours and 6 minutes and including an intermission.

Now, if you aren't able to catch the 70mm version, don't worry! The film releases everywhere on New Year's Day (January 1st). The release date was pushed up a week from the originally planned 1/8 date. However, the "regular" version of the film uses a different cut than the 70mm version, clocking in at 2 hours and 47 minutes.

So who's excited for this? Are you going to catch the 70mm version if it's playing near you, or if it isn't, are you going to take a road trip to go see it at the nearest 70mm-equipped theater? Do you have your ticket yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

This is gonna be real good. Gotta round up my posse and make a big thing of seeing this in 70mm.
Yeah, I was planning to road trip to Houston just to see this in 70mm because that was the closest city to me where it was supposed to be playing before the official theater list got released. Then I found out it's playing here in New Orleans. There's a 6pm showing on Christmas Eve here, so now I know how I'm spending Christmas Eve!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Egbert Souse posted:

Tarantino totally gets the concept of showmanship. Not only is The Hateful Eight shot in a large format process, it's being treated precisely as any big movie would decades ago.

If you went to see 2001 back in 1968, it was on a reserved seat basis, projected in 70mm with 6-track sound, with an overture, intermission, and exit music. No drinks or popcorn actually brought into the theater. And more likely than not, the only thing on the screen from start to finish would be the movie. The best part of an intermission is that while it seems like just a brief pause on home video, they really did stop everything for 15 minutes. People can go to the bathroom, get a drink or snack, or more likely go out to the lobby to smoke. The best part of this to a film was refreshing the viewer's mind. I think a lot of the criticism from modern viewers of films like 2001, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, or even The Sound of Music is that no one would have actually seen the film in one sitting. I went to see the 4K restored Lawrence of Arabia a few years ago and having that 15 minute intermission was amazing. You'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes just to get up to stretch your legs and relieve your bladder.

By the time the general release came by, you wouldn't be surprised to find it was cut down by 20 minutes, without an intermission, and forget 70mm stereo. You'd be lucky to not just get 35mm with a plain mono track.

There's two theaters in Georgia showing 70mm and I'm going to try to make it to the one in Atlanta. Hopefully this is a success because it would be nice for showmanship to make a return.
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I just saw NOLA.com (the big local news site) posted an article about the roadshow coming here and it included this little tidbit:

quote:

New Orleans is one of just 44 markets to land the roadshow version, which -- harking to the roadshow tradition of the 1960s -- will include a musical overture before the film, a 12-minute intermission about an hour and 45 minutes in, and the distribution of souvenir programs to attendees.
:swoon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Some reviews are beginning to trickle out, almost all of them positive. This one says the 3 hour runtime is completely justified: http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/the-hateful-eight-review/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The other day, I went to the movies but I went to Walgreens beforehand and bought a 1 liter Pepsi and a bag of peanut M&Ms for like $3 or $4 which probably would've cost me at least 3x that had I bought those at the theater, and I snuck them in via the inside pockets of my jacket and no one said a thing to me. I also went to the bathroom before the movie so I didn't have to go throughout the whole thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sean10mm posted:

How gory is it? I usually don't have a weak stomach for movie violence but I found Django Unchained to be downright nauseating in places.
I don't know, but Tarantino has traditionally been all about gore, so I'd imagine quite a bit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Modest Mao posted:

I live in a country where it's illegal for the movie theater to stop you from carrying in food and its so great. Cheap fresh pinapple from a vendor outside, mcdonald's you name it. Local people don't abuse it because they don't know how good they have it. I have no idea how the theaters make money at all.
That's so awesome :allears: At the theater I usually go to, the rule is "no outside food or drink allowed", but I've brought in so much food and so many drinks to movies there in the past. I've even brought in a bag of Chipotle chips & guacamole before in the big brown paper bag they come in and I didn't even hide it and no one said anything to me. I guess the theater employees aren't paid enough to care?

Also I just bought my ticket for the 70mm version on Christmas Eve at 6pm and I'm so excited :swoon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ButtWolf posted:

Hell yes 70mm in Oklahoma. I'm.hoping its not a "a ticket is not a guarantee of a seat" situation.
Is that ever the case with a movie you buy a ticket for? In my experience, the only time that's been the case is for free advanced screenings of movies that you have to show up for an hour or two ahead of time or else you won't get a seat.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tenzarin posted:

very much a western Reservoir Dogs.
SOLD.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Did you watch the roadshow cut or the standard cut?
If it's the one floating around on the internet, I believe it's the standard cut.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilmers Elbow posted:

The gore is ludicrously over the top (and then some). Obviously an artistic decision but very much the wrong one.
Hell yeah, I can't wait to see it on Thursday.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just got home from seeing it in 70mm. I loved it! The thing that stood out most to me was how much it was this:

h_double posted:

A lot of it does feel a lot like a stage play -- and one that's more of a sardonic character study, rather than a tense whodunit (which is why I don't think "Western Reservoir Dogs" is a perfect analogy). At times it's got kind of a leisurely pace, but there's some lovely camera work and Morricone score (and some highly entertaining swagger brought by Russell, Jackson, and Goggins) to linger over in the process.
I could easily see this being presented on the stage. It very much has that structure. And the dialogue and humor are very much textbook Tarantino, but I feel like they could still transition seamlessly to the stage. I'm honestly not a fan of the vast majority of Westerns, but this sort of structure along with the the rapid-fire yet intelligent dialogue and humor made it a great experience overall.

Yeah, yeah. The n-word is uttered a lot. Well you know what? That's how many white people spoke in the 1800s when the movie is set. That doesn't make using the word the right thing to do, but Tarantino made this thing period-appropriate, and it's not like the actors themselves are racist for uttering period-appropriate dialogue when playing a role in a movie. Plus, Samuel L. Jackson's character completely loving annihilates several people and is one of the only 2 surviving characters at the end of the movie, so calling this movie racist seems to be missing the loving point.

Also, this thing is gory as hell. I mean, many of the gory moments happen in quick bursts, but still. If you're squeamish, I'd stay away from this.

And if you're wondering if anything happens during the 70mm version's intermission, nothing does.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 25, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Question for y'all who saw the roadshow version: Did you get your collectible program? Because I sure didn't :smith:

Almost everyone in my theater seemed to have one, but I didn't get one. I don't even know where I would've gotten one. The ticket ripper wasn't handing them out, and there wasn't someone handing them out at the entrance to the theater either. And I got to the theater half an hour early, so if it was a "while supplies last" type deal, I don't think I would've missed it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope Tarantino's next movie has Christoph Waltz and Tim Roth charming poo poo up together.
I honestly thought Tim Roth was Christoph Waltz at first. It took me a little while to remember that nope, actually that's Tim Roth. But hell yeah, I hope so too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SeANMcBAY posted:

And yeah Tarantino's narration is definitely the low point of the movie.
I actually enjoyed it :shobon: It took me by surprise and I laughed my rear end off when I realized what was happening. I was glad it was only done briefly, though, and not through the whole runtime. That would've gotten annoying.

Was his narration just part of the roadshow version? I'm assuming it was because he's filling the audience in about what happened before the intermission, and there is no intermission in the regular version.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mullitt posted:

I want to know if Kurt Russell read the whole letter in that scene we missed because of the film melting. Hearing Walton Goggins read it at the end was hilarious and I'm not sure if it would have been as funny if I had heard the whole thing earlier.
"'Ol' Mary Todd is calling.' Nice touch :v: "

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

At the theater now to see the Point Break remake and I was able to grab one of the programs despite not getting one last night when I actually saw the movie :dance:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

oswald ownenstein posted:

I loved Pulp Fiction, IB, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill and Django - is this one pretty good too?
I mean yeah, if you enjoyed all of those then you're pretty much guaranteed to enjoy this one too. Tarantino's done it again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jean Eric Burn posted:

I can confirm from living in the south for a time that there are indeed lovely people who laugh at the word friend of the family because they are lovely poo poo people.

And not because they are being intellectually challenged by transgressive art.
I live in the south and saw Hateful Eight in the south and no one laughed at the word in my showing, FWIW v:shobon:v

But I'm sure it happens.

oswald ownenstein posted:

i want to know if he actually gets raped by a bear in the revenant becaues i literally won't see it if it that happens
He does not. The bear fucks him up good, but does not gently caress him good.

ParanoidInc posted:

I think that if people are uncomfortable with other's reaction to a piece of work, that's totally okay imo. It's just as okay as that same original reaction. They're not being an SJW or anything, they're just having a hard time mixing their reactions (horror, disgust) with others (outright laughter). I knew a guy who literally laughed through most of The Serbian Film, nicest guy you could meet otherwise but he found that sort of poo poo in film just hysterical. Made me incredibly uncomfortable, but that was the way he took that movie.
I laughed through all of Serbian Film too, but it was more like nervous laughter because I couldn't believe the poo poo I was seeing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's the same principle as playing a recent video game on PC vs. console. On PC, chances are you'll have a field of view slider and can jack it up way higher than you'd ever get on the console version, allowing you to see some or all of your periphery. It's certainly different and takes time to adjust to it, but it's really cool being able to see all of that in addition to what you normally see.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

pwn posted:

Re: The souvenir programs: From what I've gathered, there are at least 8 different centerfold posters. Since there is a collectable angle with them and others might be curious what they look like, I thought I'd post the ones I've seen so far. Ruth is mine and Domergue, Bob, and Warren are from friends across the country.

Edit: When I went with my friends we all got Ruth; a friend in Miami went two times a few days apart and got different ones each time.
Just checked mine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think the 70mm roadshow is officially gone from theaters near me, so what the hell:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Mods please change thread title to:
The Hateful Eight: gushing from Jackson's filthy old balls.

tia.

• Locked thread