Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just got back from seeing the 70mm roadshow last night. Enjoyed it a lot. I have realised that I really like Westerns but don't like hokey old black and white stuff. The recent run of modern Westerns is something I really appreciate. A few questions:

- Re: The divided room into north/south: For people that have done a rewatch Was there any deeper strategy/plan to that? Knowing who is who and what their plan is, is Tim Roth's character doing that to get better access to the bounty?

- What's Tarantino's inspiration, or what is he paying homage to with the terrible vomiting effects? Is he just going for absurd comedy or is it directly aping some previous movie. It looks like something out of Monty Python and I hate it.

- Can one of the TFR Goons tell me all the weapons they used or provide a link to the website that has all that stuff? Related, was Ruth using a pistol or a rifle to hold up Marquis at the start? It looked like a pistol with stupidly long barrel but was he just holding his rifle one handed?

- I loving love the sound design of Tarantinos gunfire in his last 3 movies. I also love the seemingly over the top gunshot impact/body comedy; but I'm curious, is it possible it's not exaggeration and is in fact realistic? Those things looked like loving hand cannons so it wouldn't surprise me if that's how a body should react to being shot at that range.

- Is the regular cinema release going to be cropped or letterboxed?

- Has it been confirmed what the missing 16mins actually is? I assume there will be no overture, but that was only about 3mins yeah? What else is going to be cut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

pwn posted:

Also, the intermission is about 12 minute IIRC, and is part of the listed runtime.

Ah, wasn't sure if they were including that. Is the overture cut too and you just didn't list it because I already did?

Also, was it part of the "authentic old timey 70mm experience" that the movie started 20mins late or was that just my visit? It kind of poo poo me, because I got out of my 9pm screening at close to 1am on a work night :( Still didn't stop fuckers still finding their seats while the opening credits were rolling.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Blind Pineapple posted:

2. On a lesser note, it reveals that Warren's sign story is total bullshit. Minnie has absolutely zero aversion to Bob in the flashback, and I'll need to make a note to look for this in a re-watch, but I feel like someone was wearing a hat too. Even if that part wasn't true, it was definitely clear Minnie didn't hate Mexicans like Warren insisted. While it's easy to make excuses for the other lies he had been called on to that point, that one kind of hammered home that maybe he was an opportunistic sleazebag.

Did she know he was Mexican? He didn't really say anything other than saying his name was "Bob". Either way, she probably had a different outlook on "one of four paying customers coming through" and "hiring a Mexican employee and leaving him to run her beloved business for a week while she visits her parents"

There may have been a hat at some stage, but she definitely made a point of and got prickly about making them take their hats off before serving them coffee.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I was about to make the comment "Apparently Yellowface Brownface (got my racial stereotypes confused) isn't as controversial as Blackface" and ask if there had been any uproar about the the guy that played Bob. Then it turns out that he guy is actually a Mexican. I could have sworn it was just a tanned white guy doing a Speedy Gonzales impression. Man that accent was bad broad.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 22, 2016

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Blind Pineapple posted:

I assume the second half that line is supposed to be just as stinging as the first, but I can't make the connection to get the joke if there is one.

Question for any American, what's so stinging about the first part of the line?

• Locked thread