Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRL5durPleI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
it allows for some great level design

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like a dungeon is dark, and you have a torch that makes it brighter.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I like you can always hear the water dripping in the distance like drip! Drip! Drip! Another thing I like is monsters that look like rugs or pots.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Probably because it's extremely obvious how far you're going in a dungeon, generally.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

THey're dank :D

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Boss fights

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

Boss fights

Definitely

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like when you're deep in a dungeon and unlock a shortcut , and wind up close to the start of the dungeon in a surprisingly handy location.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

In Training posted:

I like when you're deep in a dungeon and unlock a shortcut , and wind up close to the start of the dungeon in a surprisingly handy location.

Skyrim for the loving win!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
op I actively seek out games that have cool dungeons because I think they're win

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

It's nice to have the option to teleport out of a dungeon after you beat the boss.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm partial to overland dungeons myself.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think anything sufficiently like a corridor just gives the sense of progression when you move in it. No one would care about a screensaver of a prairie but if it was a labyrinthine forest or grove or whatever they probably would, for example. Cheers.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Plus you know the whole time there's probably an end of the dungeon, even if you never see it, as in the screen saver.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love multi-level dungeons where you can see the levels below and drop down to them, such as in Link to the Past or Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like it when the entire game is in a giant dungeon.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
they have money that's ok to steal

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

I like it when the entire game is in a giant dungeon.

and when there's people who have built a society in the dungeon. it's like a post-apocalypse setting but with goblins and beholders instead of biker gangs. ultima underworld for the win

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm looking forward to Persona 5 having better dungeons than 3/4

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i hope they have puzzles in like persona q. some of those were pretty good, like the group date cafe where u have to rearrange the foes to make a path through.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Exploration and boss fights.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

fozzy fosbourne posted:

and when there's people who have built a society in the dungeon. it's like a post-apocalypse setting but with goblins and beholders instead of biker gangs. ultima underworld for the win

it might not please your human sensibilities, but post-apocalypse is a bit too much, cmon!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I like it when you find settlements in dungeons where you can shop/rest up. Provides a little break in the action

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

I like it when you find settlements in dungeons where you can shop/rest up. Provides a little break in the action

this .. plus, unexpected architecture. like in dq8 when you reach that circle room that looks like a village street and as u run around it it gets more and more derelict looking. very nice. i really liked ff9s memoria for a similar reason even though it was literally just a straight line. U start off in some castle like architecture and end up in the cosmos

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That part in DQVIII was excellent. I also liked in the very first dungeon when you start out in the big empty cavern with a waterfall and later on you pop out to a little overlook with a chest on it and can see the whole room from a different angle. Very cool

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

My all time least favorite dungeon is probably the Portal dungeon in Darksiders. I don't know what my favorite is.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Would Luigi's Mansion (from Luigi's Mansion) count as a dungeon

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i like mimics in dungeons. just the idea of a monster camouflaged as a treasure box. my favorite mimic design is from dark cloud.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's a house. That's a completely different thread

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

i like mimics in dungeons. just the idea of a monster camouflaged as a treasure box. my favorite mimic design is from dark cloud.

Mimics ftw. One of my most memorable gaming experiences was in dark souls II when somebody invaded me and used the mimic spell to turn into a vase and waited somewhere completely still for upwards of 20 minutes to surprise and kill me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Mimics ftw. One of my most memorable gaming experiences was in dark souls II when somebody invaded me and used the mimic spell to turn into a vase and waited somewhere completely still for upwards of 20 minutes to surprise and kill me
Patient gamers ftw

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I prefer an epic tower to a dungeon, personally

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

i like it when you go deeper and deeper and things get progressively more crazy and awesome. oh you are on the first floor well here's a slime. oh you are on the 9th floor well now you are literally in hell. oh you found the 10th floor, guess what the world's diameter is only 9 floors and now you are in china

the underground ocean at the bottom of the world in dark souls was like a spiritual moment for me

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
the fake doors in the fire temple in oot are great

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

I did this for hours and it was worTh the wait every single time

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I prefer an epic tower to a dungeon, personally
Towers are cool too they're like inverse dungeons

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Benny D posted:

I did this for hours and it was worTh the wait every single time

When the attack finally happened I thought I was losing my mind because I saw the vase just start slowly gliding towards me and before I could react I had been back stabbed and then blown up by a fire spell

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was also funny every time people would use the vase spell in the 1v1 PvP arenas just to be a joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

this .. plus, unexpected architecture. like in dq8 when you reach that circle room that looks like a village street and as u run around it it gets more and more derelict looking. very nice. i really liked ff9s memoria for a similar reason even though it was literally just a straight line. U start off in some castle like architecture and end up in the cosmos

this is cool to me. my big sticking point is that i like visual landmarks a lot, which i figured was at odds with dungeons.