Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've been wanting an arpg to unwind with at the end of the day, and remember liking torchlight 2 when i played through as the mage guy. i tried it again recently and realized that every other class plays like rear end, and that it has some other serious problems, but that i like other things the game does. anyone ever modded this, and do you have any recommendations (setting aside, to start, the uninstall mod)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Engie is really fun tbqh. You can be a big melee smasher or pet friender. I used a couple weapon mods and added merchants and poo poo.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

No.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah engineer and the Mage were the two less boring classes to play. It would sorta need a total rebalance I think.

People say Diablo III was fixed and is really good now, maybe you can just try that.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Not really sure, OP.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
if a game isnt good without mods...

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Then it'll be loving awesome with mods!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Fucktard: Mods can't make a bad game good. Even if you can change a games aesthetics and some ancillary systems, you can't change poor core mechanics.

Gamer: Cool story, bro!

Now shut the gently caress up and sit down while adults are talking, mmkay?

Dec 26, 2012

elf help book posted:

if a game isnt good without mods...

Lumpy the Cook posted:

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Fucktard: Mods can't make a bad game good. Even if you can change a games aesthetics and some ancillary systems, you can't change poor core mechanics.

:wth:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

my loving hard drive

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Black Spider-man with keyblade and Midna headpiece ftmfw

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Engie is really fun tbqh. You can be a big melee smasher or pet friender. I used a couple weapon mods and added merchants and poo poo.
That was my class. I used a cannon and put every level I had into a giant laser that stunned enemies. I think I had about a 60 percent change to stun on every attack so I just stunlocked everything until I won.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i upped the unique drop rate, made golden chests always drop uniques, and made certain containers drop appropriate loot (like scroll racks will drop spells instead of junk weapons)

i decided to play with the embermage and it's been fun through the first act, although the way that skills work mean that i either had to have points just sitting around not doing anything, or use them on skills i didn't really care about. partway into the second act there's a really strange difficulty spike, where i went from being able to manage my healthbar pretty well to being instantly eviscerated by big packs of enemies, although at least it's harder now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Blackheart posted:

Yeah engineer and the Mage were the two less boring classes to play. It would sorta need a total rebalance I think.

People say Diablo III was fixed and is really good now, maybe you can just try that.

Play Diablo III on PS4 and wait for a level 10,000 hacker to join your game and power level you to level 2000 so you start dealing 6 million damage a hit and then the game is fun

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

i upped the unique drop rate, made golden chests always drop uniques, and made certain containers drop appropriate loot (like scroll racks will drop spells instead of junk weapons)

i decided to play with the embermage and it's been fun through the first act, although the way that skills work mean that i either had to have points just sitting around not doing anything, or use them on skills i didn't really care about. partway into the second act there's a really strange difficulty spike, where i went from being able to manage my healthbar pretty well to being instantly eviscerated by big packs of enemies, although at least it's harder now.

Sounds miserable, OP.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
My problems with the game:
- difficulty should be rebalanced, veteran it too easy and elite creates some weird roadblocks where a single enemy causes much more damage than anything else out of the blue and 1-shot you,
- mapworks is a brilliant way to add some variety, and I really love how it feels much more like a rogue-like, and the random mix of monsters in each level is great, but the levels it creates are really bad most of the time and there is a huge lost opportunity there: they could make it so that the worst random debuffs could increase drop rate or something but not, it just debuffs you, and it should be unlocked since the beginning, not only after a playtrough, this could be so much better,

and I'm not sure how far these can be modded, but either it's not possible or nobody cares, on the other hand there is a ton of mods that adds more drops to insane levels, something that never bothered me in this game, also

- in this game many enemies create areas of continuous damage, and bosses have 1-shot moves that are heavily telegraphed, two things that beg for controller support, I feel like torchlight 2 could be such a better game if it was built and balanced with controllers in mind, it's a shame really,

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

program666 posted:

- difficulty should be rebalanced, veteran it too easy and elite creates some weird roadblocks where a single enemy causes much more damage than anything else out of the blue and 1-shot you,
- mapworks is a brilliant way to add some variety, and I really love how it feels much more like a rogue-like, and the random mix of monsters in each level is great, but the levels it creates are really bad most of the time and there is a huge lost opportunity there: they could make it so that the worst random debuffs could increase drop rate or something but not, it just debuffs you, and it should be unlocked since the beginning, not only after a playtrough, this could be so much better,

and I'm not sure how far these can be modded, but either it's not possible or nobody cares, on the other hand there is a ton of mods that adds more drops to insane levels, something that never bothered me in this game, also

- in this game many enemies create areas of continuous damage, and bosses have 1-shot moves that are heavily telegraphed, two things that beg for controller support, I feel like torchlight 2 could be such a better game if it was built and balanced with controllers in mind, it's a shame really,

tHe uninstall mod

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

program666 posted:

my problem with this post is that it sucks and i don't care about what your saying.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

another good one is the mod that makes mega mobs, basically turning the game into Gauntlet, that was badass lol. i had to turn it off once i hit the 2nd area tho because just getting around the map was taking a half hour

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i guess i want an arpg that has skill based combat and isn't geared around grinding for random drops. torchlight gets part of the way there, and i was hoping mods would get the final mile, but it seems like that's not the case.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

i guess i want an arpg that has skill based combat and isn't geared around grinding for random drops. torchlight gets part of the way there, and i was hoping mods would get the final mile, but it seems like that's not the case.

Try ClaDun X2.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

u tried ys?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

i know what you mean (especially with embermage, need timing & positioning etc), but for the most part that's not what these games are meant to do, OP. they're essentially isometric musou games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

u tried ys?

Was about to post this

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
ys is quite possibly exactly what you want OP, specially the bosses, they really need skill to beat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's a thread for it and everything : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755391

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't play ARPGs for the skill-based mechanics OP. Although it does take a lot of knowledge & the creativity to use it to do really well in like, Path of Exile for example.

Let me know if u find an epic Torchlight 2 mod though because I've never even installed it.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't play ARPGs for the skill-based mechanics OP. Although it does take a lot of knowledge & the creativity to use it to do really well in like, Path of Exile for example.

Let me know if u find an epic Torchlight 2 mod though because I've never even installed it.

you should play Torchlight II, it's a good game. don't listen to these people, they will shout down any mindless fun game in favor of undertale

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I never tried it but there's a synergies mod that apparently improves a lot of stuff.

I liked playing as a fire spec embermage but in the late game it became a bit boring. I still got a lot of hours of fun from it so I can't really complain, when I get a decent PC again I might just play it again.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

you should play Torchlight II, it's a good game. don't listen to these people, they will shout down any mindless fun game in favor of undertale

I already play Path of Exile as a mindless loot farm game though so basically is there any reason to play Torchlight instead of that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think Path of Exile Diablo III and Torchlight 2 are basically interchangeable, you kinda just pick the one you like to look at the best and stick with it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

I already play Path of Exile as a mindless loot farm game though so basically is there any reason to play Torchlight instead of that

i can play torchlight 2 offline and put in mods to fix the irritating skinner box poo poo (which is why i added increase loot drops)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Grr.. the Skinner box.. the worst kind of box.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

In Training posted:

I think Path of Exile Diablo III and Torchlight 2 are basically interchangeable, you kinda just pick the one you like to look at the best and stick with it.

Diablo III used to be way worse than Torchlight or Path of Exile but Reaperof Souls made it a bit better than either I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I used to be confused for a moment whenever people would refer to Path of Exile as PoE because I'd automatically associate it with Portal of Evil (RIP)

• Locked thread