Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

EL BROMANCE posted:

He wasn't even on the dark card, really strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Really good show but below the high standard set by NXT Respect.

Especially pleased for Emma and Bayley coming out of this show. Both have shown huge growth in their time in NXT.

The booking was pretty conservative but the status quo is probably the best given they will tour a lot of towns for the first time in the first quarter of 2016. Best to reflect the established stars.

PS Gregg Hamilton attacked Itami.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The dark matches were Vaudvillains, Hype bros, BAMF and Jordan and Gable.

I cannot describe how over Jordan and Gable are. The crowd went ballistic for them, constantly, for the entire match.

Second match was Bull vs. Some guy with a banjo, some guy won, nobody cared.

We got a Sami match after the main against perfect 10, the only wrestler to get more over by not being on a show.

I'll have a full trip report later.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'll have a full trip report later.

abraham linksys posted:

A reminder for people going to see this live today: (a) we're all jealous of you, and (b) please don't post preshow results in this thread without spoiler tags, since they're likely NXT TV spoilers.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Pretty much echoing much of what others have said. Asuka/Emma was fine, the tag match was excellent, Crews-Corbin was acceptable and Corbin's mouthiness was cute, and then HOW CAN THIS TINY PERSON DEFEAT THIS FAT LOAD twice in a row grated a little bit but neither match was bad and they had some good spots.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Is crowd reaction a spoiler? I have no idea.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't get your point? He was wrestling at other shows on the tour and the dark card tapings are airing next week.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't get your point? He was wrestling at other shows on the tour and the dark card tapings are airing next week.

was he there?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
He was on a dark main event.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/samuelgillies/status/677262140701560832

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006

this owns

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

abraham linksys posted:

He was on a dark main event.

Ah, I read the Wrestling Inc story that went up about the dark matches while the show was still on, I see they've updated now as he went on after the main event. That makes sense, hopefully the crowd still had some drunken energy for it!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Ok, trip report, with spoiler tags for poo poo I assume you guys didn't see.

First off - crowd was fairly hype coming into it. Merch-wise, in the queues there was a hell of a lot of Balor Club shirts (they probably outnumbered everything else combined), then Bayley, and then a good few Joe/Enzo + Cass/Sami/Generic NXT ones. Lots of Daniel Bryan, some Brock, a few CM Punk and a lot of Ambrose, actually. I saw a few people in Progress and NJPW shirts. Also What Bar?s. Lots of attempts at starting chants up on the way in that didn't get totally going (except Woo's), until we got inside and some guy up in the stands with a perfect Big E voice did the New Day entrance bit, and from then on it was everything. Kudos to that one guy. There was a group of like ten or so guys behind me with Eva Marie Section signs that stood up to get roundly booed. Let's go Cena/Cena sucks chants, plus all the ones you must have heard on TV. Some twats up in the stands started a CM Punk chant, and were hilariously booed by the rest of us.

Also I have to mention - some loving goon along the entranceway had a Cool Cat sign.

Dark Matches - Like it's been said already, first up was the Vaudevillains (cheered; they were also dressed up as Tom Baker Doctor Who and Sherlock Holmes) vs. BAMF (booed) vs. the Hype Bros (booed) vs. Jordan/Gable (cheered like the Second Coming). It's crazy how over those two guys were, if you've seen any of the videos from the rest of the tour, it was that, basically. Jordan especially looked pumped to hell by it. It also meant that the Vaudevillains got a good booing for their whole heel turn because they were against those guys. I'm honestly surprised Zack Ryder got the booing he did, but hey. Basically your standard opener; lots of overbooked stuff, Gable playing face in peril (which he's awesome at), Jordan coming in to wreck house (and getting a Suplex City chant. There's one suplex in particular which was extraordinary. Watch NXT next week, you fucks.) Lots of the Yaya/Kolo chants. Alexa at ringside got "Who are ya" chants and had a hilarious reaction, I have no idea if it was on camera at all but she has the greatest facial expressions. Jordan/Gable went over. Perfect to start with, if you're wondering why the crowd was so hyped up to start with, it's totally down to this.

Second dark match was Bull Dempsey vs. Elias Sampson. Bull was decently over, no-one really cared at all about Sampson. Basically a comedy match; Bull started off doing jumping jacks in the corner before the match started, and Sampson just sat up on the ropes watching him for ages. I was expecting Bull to give up, but he went on until the match actually started, more than I could do. A fairly botchy match at times, Sampson got "You're just a poo poo Seth Rollins" and "You're a hipster" chants. Sampson wins out of basically nowhere after a few minutes. Basically nothing.

Show start - Triple H comes out and does his spiel. They brought him out in the darkness in a big group of ring guys so it took a little while for the crowd to catch on. Everyone loves NXT Paul.

Asuka vs. Emma - this match was awesome. Love Emma's sunglasses. Dana at ringside is actually really good, probably the best manager-type at the show. Asuka is stiff as you'd expect, but that spinning backfist especially was meaty as gently caress. The Asuka chants to Ole didn't last that long because that's really hard to chant. Basically both of these two came out of this match looking great. I don't know how the ending bit came over on TV, but in person it was great, a total subversion of what you'd expect to see on Raw or a main roster PPV; Asuka not getting dq'd for having the... whatever that was, Dana getting sent to the back, Asuka not being distraction finish'd. Awesome match.

Enzo/Cass vs. Dash/Dawson - "if we had 1 pound" got immediate laughs. It was great seeing Enzo get more ring time, he's really coming along great - his faceplant thing, and then especially that DDT, were great. Cass just looks fantastic at everything he does, I have no clue why they'd go with Corbin over him as a singles push, though I'm glad they did. All of his stuff looks stiff as hell. Carmella was right in front of my side for half the match, she was a good hype woman but basically it was all just getting the clapping going for boosting Enzo out of submissions. The "Which one's Dawson/Which one's Dash" and "Are you Dawson in disguise?" chants were good fun, and they had good oldschool heel reactions to them. The ending was great, Shatter Machine from the top rope looks horrifying in person. Good match, though I don't know what they're going to do with Enzo/Cass now.

Apollo vs. Corbin - Apollo was really not that over. Well, he was, but he wasn't as over as I'd expect; we might have just been chanted out. I was on the opposite side to that Apollo bit where he landed on the stairs, but it was great; all we could see was Apollo going flying over the top rope, and then a really sick stair bump as he landed, and everyone on that side getting up in shock. A "is he really hurt?" bit that worked well. Lots of good from Apollo and not so great from Corbin (I've read the thread, and I didn't hear the "Go back to ROH!" bit from where I was). Some guys behind me tried to get a "you can't wrestle" chant going, but nobody really cared all that much. Corbin's win got half cheered, half booed, because it is a terrible finisher where you can't tell who's taking the move, and now I can say that's still true in person. I was expecting Corbin Girl to have flown out for the match, but luckily we were spared her.

Nia vs. Bayley - kind of a weird match. Bayley was INCREDIBLY over, I really hope that came across on TV. Nia's Eva Marie/Mad Max entrance gear looked great. We got the tube men! This was a lot better of a match that I expected; Nia clearly can't go, but her slams/drops look and sound devastating live. At the start I was expecting Bayley would only lose with an Eva interference, but by the end it could easily and not stupidly been Nia's victory. She's also kind of a hammy actor, though I doubt that'll hold her back. The ending sequence was a bit prolonged - it felt like they repeated the submission/lift spot one too many times. But the right person won, and Nia looked really good, so that's what you want.

Finn vs. Joe - By this point the ONE FALL chants had taken over; I don't know if they came across on TV before this match, but you must have heard them here. Both of these guys were really over. There were boos for Joe, but plenty of chants, too. The one dueling chant, from where I was, sounded like it was in Finn's favour, but not by much. I think really it was just that we were expecting a great match out of these two, which we got. Finn's Jack the Ripper getup was interesting. I don't really know how much I can say about this match other than it could've gone either way and we would have been happy, both guys looked like stars, and it's the kind of NXT main event you expect. Lots of reversing common moves, being prepared for the other guy's offense, that kind of thing. The double fighting spirit bit, Finn getting up with his sudden demon eyes, hitting a few moves, and then Joe roaring and going for his own comeback, were awesome. Some morons tried to get a "who ate all the pies" chant going, and happily they were ignored. Good ending. Since this WAS on TV; no idea if this was actual or whether it was kayfabe or whatever, but Finn had the doctor in the ring at the end of the match and looked like he was describing some kind of concussion/balance/hearing issues.

After show - "Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and now we have for you a special BONUS MATCH!" -Immediate Ole chants-
Tye Dillinger comes out first, was very over with his 10 gimmick (10 signs were probably the most common ones I saw; there weren't that many overall). He would've been a face except then out comes his opponent, and the crowd goes insane for Sami. He goes up the stairs and does his arm-ruining waves and for a moment I wince in expectation. Sami was incredibly over; they're going to have to cut this down if they show it because about half the match was them reacting to the chants, all the usual stuff you'd expect, "Welcome Back" and Ole's and everything. Tye gets "poo poo Hair, No Fans" and "Topknot Wanker" chants. A good match. Sami teases his arm injury and Tye works that arm a bit, but nothing to make you worried. Great Blue Thunder Bomb out of nowhere gets a 2, and a Helluva Kick for the win.

Sami stays in the ring with a mic. Huge amount of chants; he gives up speaking a couple of times because it's so loud. Basically just imagine every line here interspersed with one chant or another for him. He says it's great to be back, that every time he's on a high, like winning the title or going on Raw to fight John Cena (boos), it seems like things take a nosedive for him, but today, that trend is reversed. He talks about the tour up until this point and is hilariously dumbfounded that we boo the hell out of all the other towns he brings up, "is this some British heat thing?". Big things are coming for NXT in 2016, and for him, he says, and makes to leave - but then comes back into the ring, because ever since Triple H got to say it, he's wanted to. "We are NXT!" Super babyface stuff, basically, but he was beloved for it.

I'm watching this on the network now, so poo poo I'm noticing doesn't show up; basically every two count got a TWOOOOOOO. There was a shitload more swearing in chants that seems to have got muted, which is probably good thing since they'd never come back here if they had to use it. Oh, so that's who that guy was who got shown on screen, should I feel bad for not knowing Johnny Saint? Holy CRAP did they mute the hell out of us booing all the heels, it was thunderous for basically all of them. Bayley got a HUGE pop, again, no clue why they muted it so much, some of the biggest cheers of the night. Hey, there I am on TV, looking like a complete goober! It doesn't seem to get shown on the show, but after Finn and Joe's match, Joe actually rushes the ring at one point and weakly tries to get back in.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 17, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Finn's doctor chat was (awkwardly) on TV, though unmicced. The broadcast went a couple extra minutes since they wanted to make sure he had a chance to do his big winning pose before they went off the air. Looked very legit to me, though I don't know what bump would have done it.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

Finn's doctor chat was (awkwardly) on TV, though unmicced. The broadcast went a couple extra minutes since they wanted to make sure he had a chance to do his big winning pose before they went off the air. Looked very legit to me, though I don't know what bump would have done it.
Drake Younger was on the side and had to shout in to remind him to do all that, I don't know if that means anything at all.

Also the corner I was in was where they had all the match officials, ring guys, and cameramen sitting for the video packages, which meant right at the start of the show I got to tap Drake on the arm and get a fist bump, which set my night up pretty drat well.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
I really, really, really like how the championship introductions were shot and lit. Totally different presentation that made the matches feel cool and special.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Revenant Threshold posted:

Ok, trip report, with spoiler tags for poo poo I assume you guys didn't see.

What was the deal with the ten counts where the ref would say 1 and the crowd would say 2?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

keevo posted:

What was the deal with the ten counts where the ref would say 1 and the crowd would say 2?
I'm not totally sure myself, but I think it started off as counting the actual seconds off. Edit: Apparently it's a Progress thing?

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 17, 2015

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

keevo posted:

I figure it was just loving with the ref hoping he counts wrong.

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.
That was fun but all the Progress shirts and chants just made me wish I was at a Progress show...

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
The two small things I noticed:

1. Asuka's backslide looked loving awesome. Like it was an actual impact move and not just a pin.

2. gently caress that guy behind Johnny Saint.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Joe and Balor was amazing. I don't normally even care for Balor all that much but they were sick together. Thought it was kind of weird that commentary wasn't drawing attention to Balor focusing everything on Joe's head, trying to bring the Monster down, and how near the end of it, Joe was getting smart to it, blocking, dodging, etc.

Other than the two mutual hulkouts, which weren't really a big problem, I loved everything about the psychology of it.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

abraham linksys posted:

It looked to me he was motioning at his neck and saying "choke" - wondering if maybe Joe had his holds in too tight? Do chokes leave lingering side effects afterwards if the blood gets restricted?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

after Samoa Joe murdered Tyson Kidd, it makes sense he'd go after Finn next

he's going to get called up by virtue of being the only man left standing

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

It looked to me he was motioning at his neck and saying "choke" - wondering if maybe Joe had his holds in too tight? Do chokes leave lingering side effects afterwards if the blood gets restricted?

A blood choke starts knocking you out almost instantly, you kinda fade and get woozy and you've got seconds before you're out, and you'll get a headache and some confusion for a while after release. Source: being a dumb idiot I let a marine buddy of mine apply a blood choke on me as a demonstration once.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

A blood choke starts knocking you out almost instantly, you kinda fade and get woozy and you've got seconds before you're out, and you'll get a headache and some confusion for a while after release. Source: being a dumb idiot I let a marine buddy of mine apply a blood choke on me as a demonstration once.

you can kill someone pretty easily with it too if you keep it locked in. blood clots in the brain and such

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Finn got his neck rolled up a bit on the finisher, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was hurting him.

Apollo vs. Corbin - Apollo was really not that over.

Which is why I like him losing here. Corbin is the one needing the push, but also this will help develop Apollo's character

Fun show, Nia vs Bayley really exceeded my expectations. Stinks that E&C lost, but it would have been a stunted title run for D&D to lose it here, hopefully this means E&C moving up soon. Also, Gable/Jordan vs. D&D is going to be fire.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You could definitely read Finn saying his signature catchphrase "Troat" to the doctor.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Zyla posted:

UNOFFICIAL BOOTY RANKINGS:

ASUKA vs. EMMA: #BOOTY
E+C vs Mechanics: #BOOTY
BARON vs UHAA: #BOO
Bayley vs Nia : #BOOTY
Finn vs Joe: #BOOTY

:agreed:

Just finished watching. Fantastic show and Finn had a pissed-off Whammy on his back.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The WO dark matches recap seems to have nicked my writeup, judging by the straight copied parts plus the board censoring "poo poo" into "poo poo" for not being logged in. I'm a wrestling journalist now.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The WO dark matches recap seems to have nicked my writeup, judging by the straight copied parts plus the board censoring "poo poo" into "poo poo" for not being logged in. I'm a wrestling journalist now.

I know it's gauche to five your own thread, but

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

lmfao thats awesome

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The weird part is he goes into detail about the spot I didn't want to give away too much. So presumably it's from several sources, or he was there and couldn't be arsed to write it up himself.

I'd like to thank rovert for the inspiration to reach these heady heights.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Congrats on your scoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Awesome show. I loved the stage setup and lighting because of how different it felt from normal WWE product. Nothing was lit up but the ring.

Asuka is phenomenal and Emma really showed her game tonight. Lance Storm would be proud. Also, shoutout to the aviators and tiny gloves combo.

The tag match was everything great about tag wrestling. I know a lot of people are going to gripe about Enzo and Cass losing but they are likely getting called up soon and their act was never about being the best wrestlers. I think this match was a great example of having heels win clean but still in a heelish way. Dash and Dawson were really on the ropes until the chopblock, so the swing in momentum is all tied back to their attack from over a month ago. NXT is so good at having credible heels and storytelling that rewards fans for remembering.

Corbin won. Sure.

Bayley's facial expressions were so drat good in her match. That entire match was basically carried by Bayley's selling and fire because Nia's offense is still a bit lacking. Whoever helped layout that match and finish deserves a huge pat on the back as well.

The main event was fantastic, as expected. Joe is the most complete wrestler signed to the WWE today. Everything he does has such purpose and he always seems one second away from winning. Ripper Demon was great too, though the paint on the mouth wasn't as exciting as previous iterations.

I love NXT, guys. Praise be to our lord and savior, Paul.

• Locked thread